Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

G Chris Reed

sb41champs

Colts free agent G Chris Reed signed a one-year deal with the Minnesota Vikings today. 

With this loss - it is apparent that the Colts intend to start Danny Pinter at right guard - and - give Matt Pryor the priority of starting at left tackle.

Now we badly need to add o-line depth.

Just now, sb41champs said:

Colts free agent G Chris Reed signed a one-year deal with the Minnesota Vikings today. 

With this loss - it is apparent that the Colts intend to start Danny Pinter at right guard - and - give Matt Pryor the priority of starting at left tackle.

That's one of my frustrations with Ballard. 

It took him several years to get sufficient depth at OL. ....  Then he signed them all to one year deals and now two have left.... Next man up..... 

I like not having long term deals when the team DOES make a mistake.... But when the guy works out well, he's them priced out of Chris market by end of his one season....

This one stings! We already have a hole at LT, now we're going to rely on Danny Pinter to start at RG? Our biggest strength the last few years just turned into a weakness along with WR & TE! What kind of depth does this leave us if/when Kelly goes down and/or Pinter doesn't work out at RG? It was already going to be a tall order to fill all of our needs through the draft. Quality roster depth just got alot harder imo.

I have always been one of Reed's biggest fans here, guy flat out played and was better then his PFF rating because that was damaged by penalties several of which many who watched games know was ticky tack at best. Pinter could be as good or better from what we have seen but as mentioned right now depth is an issue across the O Line. We dont know who will be brought in from FA and the draft. Fries should be a main back up somewhere inside, Coleman,O'Donnell and Murray as on now outside depth. Several vets left that would be nice adds relatively cheap like Michaal Schofield with 89 career starts at both Guard and tackle (12 last year for the Chargers) and Quinton Spain with 95 Guard starts (16 last year with the Bengals, he was among their only strong O Line pieces last year).

31 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Was always going this way. They'll be fine.

It's like fans want the team to draft back ups...., but what if they are good enough to start...do you let them get signed by another team? Part of development, is getting them playing time. 

4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

It's like fans want the team to draft back ups...., but what if they are good enough to start...do you let them get signed by another team? Part of development, is getting them playing time. 

Exactly. And every time Pinter has played, he has played very well.

24 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Every player drafted should be viewed as a future starter, at least....or why bother?

2 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

This one stings! We already have a hole at LT, now we're going to rely on Danny Pinter to start at RG? Our biggest strength the last few years just turned into a weakness along with WR & TE! What kind of depth does this leave us if/when Kelly goes down and/or Pinter doesn't work out at RG? It was already going to be a tall order to fill all of our needs through the draft. Quality roster depth just got alot harder imo.

It leaves us with no OL depth. Danny can play RG, that is true, but what happens when he goes down? We have nothing behind our OL starters right now. Massive fail by Ballard to not re-sign one of Reed or Glo

6 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

-Find quality depth players

-Quality depth players play well

-Don’t re-sign quality depth players

:facepalm:

Or.....

-Complain about cost of Nelson and total cost of oline...

-Ballard uses his drafted depth to lower overall cost of line and will draft more depth coming up...

-Complain about not paying for lost G

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Or.....

-Complain about cost of Nelson and total cost of oline...

-Ballard uses his drafted depth to lower overall cost of line and will draft more depth coming up...

-Complain about not paying for lost G

I haven’t complained about the cost of the OL, and Ballard has even said that the draft is not a sure-thing, while re-signing guys is a situation where you typically know what you’re getting.

27 minutes ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

Every player drafted should be viewed as a future starter, at least....or why bother?

Well if a special teams ace draft them IF they can at the least be plugged in without a huge fall off like Dulin and Franklin....unlike Odum,Glascow and Adams......

12 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Well if a special teams ace draft them IF they can at the least be plugged in without a huge fall off like Dulin and Franklin....unlike Odum,Glascow and Adams......

Well, linebackers and safetys are usually drafted with the hope as future starters but are employed on their special teams ability....I disagree that Dulin and Franklin are a huge fall off, unless I am misunderstanding you?

2 minutes ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

Well, linebackers and safetys are usually drafted with the hope as future starters but are employed on their special teams ability....I disagree that Dulin and Franklin are a huge fall off, unless I am misunderstanding you?

Yes i was trying to say Dulin and Franklin CAN play O and D without fall off unlike Adams,Odum and Glasgow....

3 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Yes i was trying to say Dulin and Franklin CAN play O and D without fall off unlike Adams,Odum and Glasgow....

Dulin was one of my favorite surprises actually, I wasnt expecting much BUT he can play WR in this league........with Reggie coaching him he may take yet another leap forward.

I really liked Reed. I think he could have been a starter for us this year here. I’m not really enjoying to see this team lose depth at OL. It took so long for us to finally have a decent O-Line. I’d hate to have Matt Ryan under constant pressure with us. 

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Was always going this way. They'll be fine.

no they want. this is the worst case nightmare. i don't want to even hear we have a great or even good OL because we don't. they were horrible last year and just got worst. i don't care if we have 4 pro bowl OL men if one is bad the OL will be bad and we have 2 now that are not starter material especially at LT , RG may be ok but what if he or kelly go down. this is the problem we have a small window with some elite players and they will be held back by those holds in the OL. i don't even care about wr and te we are good enough there but taking a chance on two players on the OL with not backups is just dumb . i know what will happen and can tell you the line will be bad and every D will know it i will know it why can't they see it and stop it now. Give the new QB a chance and fix the OL 

18 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Ballard should have resigned Chris Reed.  He showed last year he was worth keeping.  He filled in well for Nelson and I thought he was better than Glowinski.

I have to believe Ballard wanted Reed back. $ may have been a factor, but perhaps Reed felt he had a better shot at a starting gig, and hence a genuine future payday, with someone else. He was always going to be a backup this year for the Colts. 

17 hours ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

Touche, there are exceptions to every rule, lol!  Plus, I would have never drafted him in the first place.

Nor would I. But I think your original comment, that every player should be viewed as a future starter or else why draft them, holds true in the most general sense, which is that you'd hope these players possess the BARE MINIMUM level of skill needed to play in an NFL game, whether it's stepping in for an injured starter (more of a temporary starter), or a legit No. 1 starter on the depth chart.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:39 PM, chickenMan said:

It leaves us with no OL depth. Danny can play RG, that is true, but what happens when he goes down? We have nothing behind our OL starters right now. Massive fail by Ballard to not re-sign one of Reed or Glo

All depends on quality in the draft and what Glow and Reed got. He drafted Pinter and I’m confident he’ll grab another guard in FA or the draft. 

10 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

All depends on quality in the draft and what Glow and Reed got. He drafted Pinter and I’m confident he’ll grab another guard in FA or the draft. 

he should double up on OL like he did last draft with two DE's

I'm thinking OT with first pick and OG with 2nd pick

3 hours ago, masterlock said:

Nor would I. But I think your original comment, that every player should be viewed as a future starter or else why draft them, holds true in the most general sense, which is that you'd hope these players possess the BARE MINIMUM level of skill needed to play in an NFL game, whether it's stepping in for an injured starter (more of a temporary starter), or a legit No. 1 starter on the depth chart.

Thank you for articulating my point better than I did :thmup:

On 4/4/2022 at 1:09 PM, coltsfeva said:

I hope so, we all know what happens when the OL doesn’t hold up. I’m excited for the draft, though.

I thought Reed did fantastic when he played.  He didn't sign for a huge deal so I can't see it being about the money.  One could only speculate as to why we didn't bring him back.  He was nasty, consistent, and pushed Glow for reps when he wasn't filling in for Nelson.  I'm very disappointed that we let him leave.  Starting caliber depth piece gone for a low-end deal.

22 minutes ago, Pat Curtis said:

I thought Reed did fantastic when he played.  He didn't sign for a huge deal so I can't see it being about the money.  One could only speculate as to why we didn't bring him back.  He was nasty, consistent, and pushed Glow for reps when he wasn't filling in for Nelson.  I'm very disappointed that we let him leave.  Starting caliber depth piece gone for a low-end deal.

Why speculate? He went back home.

Or, he didn't like it here, or we didn't want him back he wasn't all-in.
  Or, let it go, he is GONE!

I understand player turnover.  I also like knowing we have solid depth along the Oline.  As a fan I don't like seeing a solid player go elsewhere for peanuts.  For any reason.  Especially for a cheap deal in an area that we haven't had any depth at all.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:25 PM, jchandler7 said:

look out matt ryan, now we may need a quality backup qb

On 4/9/2022 at 1:14 PM, MPStack said:

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/danny-pinter/47339

Pinter was better than Reed. 

Pinter was decent in his limited time.  Reed had at least twice as many snaps, 2 holds and 3 penalties.

I really don't understand why Ballard didn't re-sign him.  I guess it comes down to them having faith in Pinter.  But it definitely degraded out Oline quality depth.

Archived