Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard FA Grievances Thread (Merge)

Bert Johns

Is there enough cohesion in this organization? Reich pounds the table for Wentz and gets him. If you believe what others have written - early on in the off season concerns were raised about the ability of Wentz to lead this franchise. If this was the case Why did the Colts exceed the 70% snap threshold that gave our first round  draft pick to the Eagles? No deal was in place to replace him, and now we are ALL-IN dumpster diving on the back end of Free Agency. Just does not seem like the plan of a top tier GM in year 5 with the organization.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

Quarterback is one position and I think people are usually quite fair and ready to concede he's been quite unlucky on that front, Wentz debacle aside. 

What about the bad pass rush, though? Paye, Dayo and the other young guys better start producing soon. What about receiver? He only has Pittman to his credit. What about whiffing at left tackle with Fisher? He can still get that right this summer, but that was bad. What about the mediocre secondary that he hasn't addressed? Everything I've mentioned there regards basically the most important positions in the sport.

So even puting aside the QB issues, there's loads of fair criticisms to put on Ballard. These aren't illogical things to point out.

Right. But the league year hasnt even offically started yet.

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Are you out surfing the waves?

Not me.   I’d be shark bait!    And I don’t lay by a pool drinking funny beverages with little umbrella’s.   I’d burn to a crisp!  

When my wife and I come here it’s to go out on the water and see the whales up close!   It’s peak whale season now.   Yesterday was Day 1 and it was AWESOME!   We go out every day, can’t get enough.   Then we wander around going in and out of shops and restaurants and relax.    Maui is a great place to decompress!    When I’m posting, my wife is typically sleeping or relaxing.  We’re good. 

You don’t have to like me or agree with me, but I hope some day you and your significant other will come to Maui.   Don’t come in the summer, too hot, too crowded, too expensive. Come in the winter, right after the Super Bowl.   Get out of the cold and come to Maui and just relax….    

You’ll thank me.   Honestly.     :thmup:

6 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Doug we are 1 day into the offseason. 

Go have a drink. 

Are you that arrogant that you think the GM of an NFL football team doesnt have a plan?

Its not your plan. Its his.

The offense barely has any players on the roster.  That's a fact.  There are only two sources, free agency and the draft.

His plan is to not have anybody under contract on offense, and then to rely upon getting them in free agency or have the players fall to him in the draft the right way?

Does that sound like a plan?  Not just a different plan than mine, but any reasonable plan at all? 

Or is the situation a culmination of previously bad decisions coming to a head in one offseason?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

So even puting aside the QB issues, there's loads of fair criticisms to put on Ballard. These aren't illogical things to point out.

This is Ballard’s roster, not Grigson’s. It’s all on CB and logical. 

Ballard’s had three seasons to address the QB position. He chose either a band aide or went a cheaper route. 

That’s why the Colts are where they’re at now. 

And the roster, simply is not good enough without an elite QB to go very far, even with the luxury of two seasons of a weak schedule. 

Bottom line, year six and we’re still in rebuild mode. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The offense barely has any players on the roster.  That's a fact.  There are only two sources, free agency and the draft.

His plan is to not have anybody under contract on offense, and then to rely upon getting them in free agency or have the players fall to him in the draft the right way?

Does that sound like a plan?  Not just a different plan than mine, but any reasonable plan at all? 

Or is the situation a culmination of previously bad decisions coming to a head in one offseason?

They have 2 weapons under 25 who last year produced as many combined yards and TDs as any duo in football.

Thats a fact.

11 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Right. But the league year hasnt even offically started yet.

Well, he got the tackle spot wrong last year and didn't meaningfully address secondary or receiver, so I'd say it's fair to be worried, even just after day one. Again, never mind the quarter back position, which is currently not set either.

I wait and see, but the criticism is fair. Ballard doesn't get enough of it, really.  He's pretty well-liked in general.

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

This is Ballard’s roster, not Grigson’s. It’s all on CB and logical. 

Ballard’s had three seasons to address the QB position. He chose either a band aide or went a cheaper route. 

That’s why the Colts are where they’re at now. 

And the roster, simply is not good enough without an elite QB to go very far, even with the luxury of two seasons of a weak schedule. 

Bottom line, year six and we’re still in rebuild mode. 

3 whole years, it tookthe Bengals 30.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Wow. On DD right now he said a very popular player sent him a text and said it’s hard to play for a organization when your GM won’t go out and do what is needed. I assume he is talking about a current colts player.

Yeah, I’m not on board with players getting * about trading Wentz…

But if I was a player I’d be getting frustrated about Ballard’s lack of activity in the first wave of FA. We’ll get some guys eventually, but most likely only mid level players at best, and then guys like Tevi/Davenport.

4 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

They have 2 weapons under 25 who last year produced as many combined yards and TDs as any duo in football.

Thats a fact.

Anybody gonna acknowledge this besides me?

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

They have a de facto GM. It’s called the owner. Bad example!

What?

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Wow. On DD right now he said a very popular player sent him a text and said it’s hard to play for a organization when your GM won’t go out and do what is needed. I assume he is talking about a current colts player.

Ah yes, Dan Dakich, famous therapist to the stars

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I wouldn't believe a word he said when it come to the Colts. I have never heard him say any good words about the Colts and haven't listened to him in years after him taking shots at Luck every chance he could. 

Why do you assume he is talking about a current Colt player? 

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I wouldn't believe a word he said when it come to the Colts. I have never heard him say any good words about the Colts and haven't listened to him in years after him taking shots at Luck every chance he could. 

Why do you assume he is talking about a current Colt player? 

He was texting him in air. I just watched it on YouTube. You can see Dan  going back and forth with him in his phone. If it was a retired player he would of said who it was. Mike Chapell was in at the time and said he isn’t surprised.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He was texting him in air. I just watched it on YouTube. You can see Dan  going back and forth with him in his phone. If it was a retired player he would of said who it was. Mike Chapell was in at the time and said he isn’t surprised.

As I said I wouldn't believe a word he said. 

12 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

3 whole years, it tookthe Bengals 30.

Again, you are so WRONG. The reason why it took the Bengals 30 years is because Marvin Lewis was there for 29 of them...:lol:

Lewis did not care that much and neither did Mike brown. this new regime actually does, and they went out and made it happen

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Fact, and the defense isn't much better.

-No starting qb

-One starting caliber WR

-No established pass catching TE

-No LT

-Zero OL Depth

-2 unestablished second year DE's with high upside, with zero behind them besides a 2nd bust who's been a ghost ever since he was drafted.  Amazing this position is so barren considering all the talk we've heard from Ballard since day 1 about what a high priority it is and considering all the draft capital that's been put towards this position.  Ballard must really suck at evaluating DE for us to be in this position 5 years later.

-2 good starting DTs.  Zero behind them.

-3 decent to good cbs.  Zero behind them.

-2 decent safeties.  Zero behind them.

1 undependable injury prone placekicker.

We have holes ALL OVER this roster, with the means to address maybe 60-65% of them, at the absolute best.

This is a poorly put together roster.  Ballard top 5 GM?  Laughable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

You are a good poster NCF but quote me correctly.  I said this team has the same problems as last “off season”. You misquoted me. That is an important distinction though. Because the point is these problems were addressed by Ballard last offseason his way and it did not work. We are coming into a new off-season and these same issues are carrying over.  He is doing things his way but the results are not there.  Yet each year you and others try to make those who point out these issues feel like we are the clueless ones.  Maybe you have too much faith in Ballard to really see what is going on?  It’s not working. Under Ballard, we will continue to be this fringe playoff team looking for a year where we can be a 7 seed and win a playoff game unless something changes.  He is a good GM with many admirable qualities. He just needs to be open to adapt when necessary. He is too rigid and stubborn when it comes to his team building philosophy in my opinion. 

My sincere apologies.   Did not mean to misquote you.   My bad.   

As to Ballard, we may have already fixed our DE situation.   That was the whole Paye and Dayo thing.   And I expect more from Granson.   And I expect more from Strachan and Fries.   And others whose time has come. 

Where we struck out was with Wentz and a Fisher.   Those are unfortunate.   Very.   I thought they were the right moves at the time.   Football can be hard and unfair and we got screwed twice.   Could they ultimately cost CB and Frank their jobs?  Possibly.   Eventually.   Who knows how patient and understanding Irsay will be?   Anyone’s guess.

Im not posting on my vacation to be a jerk.  I’m posting to urge people to calm down,   Let’s see what Ballard actually does and doesn’t do before we pronounce him guilty.  One day is meaningless, 

Again..,    Sorry about the misquote.   Glad you nailed me.   And you keep doing that if I do it again.   Honestly.      :thmup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Again, you are so WRONG. The reason why it took the Bengals 30 years is because Marvin Lewis was there for 29 of them...:lol:

Lewis did not care that much and neither did Mike brown. this new regime actually does, and they went out and made it happen

More exaggerations

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

No no no

People are saying our offense doesnt have any weapons.

Thats laughable and ridiculous.

Laughable, ridiculous, and accurate. 

Our best receiver last year would have been #4 on the depth chart for the Bengals, Rams, Cowboys, etc.

We have a stud RB, and a pretty decent WR. The team needs playmakers. Period.

2 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Fact, and the defense isn't much better.

-No starting qb

-One starting caliber WR

-No established pass catching TE

-No LT

-Zero OL Depth

-2 unestablished second year DE's with high upside, with zero behind them besides a 2nd bust who's been a ghost ever since he was drafted.  Amazing this position is so barren considering all the talk we've heard from Ballard since day 1 about what a high priority it is and considering all the draft capital that's been put towards this position.  Ballard must really suck at evaluating DE for us to be in this position 5 years later.

-2 good starting DTs.  Zero behind them.

-3 decent to good cbs.  Zero behind them.

-2 decent safeties.  Zero behind them.

1 undependable injury prone placekicker.

We have holes ALL OVER this roster, with the means to address maybe 60-65% of them, at the absolute best.

This is a poorly put together roster.  Ballard top 5 GM?  Laughable.

But………………..

1 minute ago, Les Poulains said:

It's hyperbole. There's also some truth to it.

Hyperbole is conversational garbage. No there isnt any truthtoit.

1 minute ago, TheMiz said:

Laughable, ridiculous, and accurate. 

Our best receiver last year would have been #4 on the depth chart for the Bengals, Rams, Cowboys, etc.

We have a stud RB, and a pretty decent WR. The team needs playmakers. Period.

Bull

Yes we need a playmaker or two, like the other 25 teams in the league

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

What do you expect? You're on an internet forum, you'll get some hyperbole, deal with it. The point is, having one good receiver and a very good running back isn't a good place to be. 

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

More exaggerations

Yea, sure it is. Next, you're going to tell me that it's only going to take the Texans 25 years until they are great but not because they don't really want to win, no that perception would just be more exaggerations, all the while hiring David Culley and Lovie Smith... :lol:

Dude, just stop

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Bull

Tbf, we have easily one of the least talented WR groups right now. At best bottom ten. And very possibly still will once the season starts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Bull

Fine. Of those three teams I mentioned, which one would Pitman have been top 3 entering last season?

Marcus Williams 5/70

Randy Gregory 5/70

That is serious cabbage for those two

Christian Kirk the 3rd highest paid WR

You folks really expect the Colts to just throw away money like that? Gregory is one strike away from being kicked out of the NFL and they gave him that contract? Seriously.

You folks need to look around at this lunacy.....

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Yea, sure it is. Next, you're going to tell me that it's only going to take the Texans 25 years until they are great but not because they don't really want to win, no that perception would just be more exaggerations, all the while hiring David Culley and Lovie Smith... :lol:

Dude, just stop

Kermit GIF

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Marcus Williams 5/70

Randy Gregory 5/70

That is serious cabbage for those two

Christian Kirk the 3rd highest paid WR

You folks really expect the Colts to just throw away money like that? Gregory is one strike away from being kicked out of the NFL and they gave him that contract? Seriously.

You folks need to look around at this lunacy.....

Good thing then, that our free agency philosophy works with all the playoff appearances we've made under Ball... oh wait.

• Like 1