Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Free Safety Shopping? Realistic targets (FA or trade) and options


EastStreet
 Share

Colts Free Safety Shopping? Realistic targets (FA or trade) and options  

43 members have voted

  1. 1. What will the Colts do at FS short term (this weekend)

    • Get by with Odum or Sendejo (both on the 53)
    • Temp elevate S Josh Jones from the PS
    • Convert and existing CB like Rodgers, Moore, Chesley, or Keys to FS
    • Temp elevate and convert a CB from the PS, like Wilcox or Dennard
    • Other - please post
  2. 2. What will the Colts do long term for FS?

    • Get by with the Ss on the 53 or PS (see above)
    • Convert a CB to FS from the 53 or PS (see above)
    • Pick up a FA or waiver guy
    • Make a trade (post a realistic trade target)
    • Other (please post)
      0

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/30/2021 at 04:33 AM

Recommended Posts

With....

  • Blackmon on IR
  • TY potentially restructuring
  • Mack trade rumors

 

A lot of possibilities....  I'm thinking something happens before the TN game.

 

Going to start looking options, but my favorite thus far is a Mack to the Saints for PJ Williams.

Williams has played NB, outside CB, and is now a depth FS for the Saints (who have asked about Mack)

 

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/21/saints-trade-marlon-mack-colts-news/

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably too late to bring someone in thats not already here and start them on Sunday.  Heck the team will be travelling out there soon I imagine.  Trading Mack for a DB is interesting.  We dont see a lot of mid season player for player trades 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, GoHorse1992 said:

How about a low round pick and Mack to the Chiefs for Daniel Sorensen? Not currently starting for them. He’s played decently I believe in the league and could definitely provide a boost. 

 

31, and grades really bad this year.

Definitely take PJ Williams over him.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, GoHorse1992 said:

How about a low round pick and Mack to the Chiefs for Daniel Sorensen? Not currently starting for them. He’s played decently I believe in the league and could definitely provide a boost. 

He’s the reason why the secondary is bad. Chiefs need to play Thornhill more and put Sorensen to the bench 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

With....

  • Blackmon on IR
  • TY potentially restructuring
  • Mack trade rumors

 

A lot of possibilities....  I'm thinking something happens before the TN game.

 

Going to start looking options, but my favorite thus far is a Mack to the Saints for PJ Williams.

Williams has played NB, outside CB, and is now a depth FS for the Saints (who have asked about Mack)

 

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/21/saints-trade-marlon-mack-colts-news/

 

I like the Williams idea a lot.  I was looking at the 49ers.  Thinking about Mack straight up for safety Jaquiski Tartt.  He’s 29 and a FA after this year.  Trade happens the morning after the game.  Maybe both are inactive for the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, GoHorse1992 said:

How about a low round pick and Mack to the Chiefs for Daniel Sorensen? Not currently starting for them. He’s played decently I believe in the league and could definitely provide a boost. 

 

No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I like the Williams idea a lot.  I was looking at the 49ers.  Thinking about Mack straight up for safety Jaquiski Tartt.  He’s 29 and a FA after this year.  Trade happens the morning after the game.  Maybe both are inactive for the game.

Not sure we need another SS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Tre Boston..he brings experience (48 games started), leadership and stays healthy (Played 96% of snaps or more last 4 seasons). He is only 29 can be around for another couple seasons.....

I know he played FS early in his career, but thought he switched to SS. 

How much FS has he played the last couple years?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I know he played FS early in his career, but thought he switched to SS. 

How much FS has he played the last couple years?

As for Boston, he played almost 1,100 defensive snaps in 2020 with a pretty equal amount (429) played at free safety to in the box (424), per ProFootballFocus.com (PFF).

 

“He’s not a guy who is going to be lauded for his run defense, but Boston has shown some of the best zone coverage instincts in the NFL at free safety. Over the past three seasons, his 94.7 coverage grade ranks second at the position.“

 

He's been a Free Safety almost his entire career, is capable of playing Strong if needed like carolina did last year and very versatile but is a Free Safety and it is where he plays the best.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

As for Boston, he played almost 1,100 defensive snaps in 2020 with a pretty equal amount (429) played at free safety to in the box (424), per ProFootballFocus.com (PFF).

 

“He’s not a guy who is going to be lauded for his run defense, but Boston has shown some of the best zone coverage instincts in the NFL at free safety. Over the past three seasons, his 94.7 coverage grade ranks second at the position.“

 

He's been a Free Safety almost his entire career, is capable of playing Strong if needed like carolina did last year and very versatile but is a Free Safety and it is where he plays the best.

Thanks. Good stuff.

Thought he switched to SS when he jumped to LAC and then to AZ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Potential Safety trades along with PFF evaluations and OTC FA status for current roster backups and depth players with potential as starters-rotational roles:

 

FS

Jaquan Johnson (Bills) PFF 2019 74.1 and a 90.0 for 2021 – 2023 UFA

DeShon Elliott (Ravens) 2021 PFF 68.4, 2020 66.6, - 2022 UFA

Brandon Stephens (Ravens) 2021 60.1 – rookie playing well as backup

Jaylinn Hawkins (Falcons) 2021 PFF 74.1 – 2024 UFA

Mike Edwards (TB Bucs) 2021 PFF 67.0, 2020 77.0 – 2023 UFA

Marquise Blair (Seahawks) 2021 PFF 56.8, 2020 48.5, 2019 78.5 – 2023 UFA – 2019 2nd round pick

Caden Sterns (Broncos) – rookie PFF 74.3 – Thursday game 10/21

Juju Hughes (Rams) – listed 3rd on depth – 2021 PFF 67.1 – 2022 ERFA

 

SS

Damar Hamlin (Bills) PFF 2021 86.5 – 2025 UFA

Adrian Phillips (Patriots) PFF 2021 74.4, 2020 66.2 – 2022 UFA

Jayron Kearse (Cowboys) backup 2021 PFF 71.5, 2019 89.0 – 2022 UFA – deep with a 3rd rookie Israel Mukuamu

DeAndre Houston-Carson (Bears) 2021 PFF 79.9, 2020 90.0 – 2022 UFA

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After looking over the list I came up with and Mack requesting to be traded I would contact the Patriots and trade for SS Adrian Phillips.  The Colts already view their safeties as being interchangeable so keep Phillips at SS and move Willis to FS.  The Patriots don't have much of a running game this year behind Damien Harris and Mack should step in and make an impact.  Both players are upcoming FAs after this year and figure may have to make some roster pay adjustments to get back on the good side of cap space post-trades.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

After looking over the list I came up with and Mack requesting to be traded I would contact the Patriots and trade for SS Adrian Phillips.  The Colts already view their safeties as being interchangeable so keep Phillips at SS and move Willis to FS.  The Patriots don't have much of a running game this year behind Damien Harris and Mack should step in and make an impact.  Both players are upcoming FAs after this year and figure may have to make some roster pay adjustments to get back on the good side of cap space post-trades.

interchangeable is just not reality.

Willis has been toast at SS just playing a little C2.

He's only been good/reliable in the box.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d love for us to make a move using Mack as trade capital, but realistically I think Ballard will stick with Odum and Sendejo unless one of them gets injured enough to be sent to IR. I love Odum on special teams, but I don’t trust either of them as a starting safety, especially with Khari already being shaky this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Another candidate courtesy of BR is FS Tracy Walker of the Lions.  Maybe straight up for Mack.  Walker is 26 and a free agent at the end of the year. Mack could give them a one two punch with Swift.  

I think we’d have to include a pick with Mack. The Lions are at the beginning of a long rebuild, so what they need more than anything are draft picks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, chickenMan said:

I think we’d have to include a pick with Mack. The Lions are at the beginning of a long rebuild, so what they need more than anything are draft picks.

 

With our 1st rounder most likely gone, I seriously doubt Ballard is coming of any picks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maye of the Jets would be an excellent choice (if he is available)

 

He is a top safety (ranked 7th) and wants out of NY.

 

A 3rd in 2023 and 5th in 2022 would probably get it done, BUT as part of the trade he would need to be signed to a long term del

(He is a FA after this year)

 

He is a mile better than what we have today 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Maye of the Jets would be an excellent choice (if he is available)

 

He is a top safety (ranked 7th) and wants out of NY.

 

A 3rd in 2023 and 5th in 2022 would probably get it done, BUT as part of the trade he would need to be signed to a long term del

(He is a FA after this year)

 

He is a mile better than what we have today 

 

 

 

He says he wants to stay with the Jets. 

 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32447353/marcus-maye-says-want-traded-new-york-jets-know-want-here?platform=amp

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

With our 1st rounder most likely gone, I seriously doubt Ballard is coming of any picks 

I agree, which is why I think it won’t happen. For better or for worse, I think it’s ride-or-die with Sendejo and Odum and whatever FA are available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

With our 1st rounder most likely gone, I seriously doubt Ballard is coming of any picks 

I'd be more than happy giving up a 6th or 7th in addition to a player for the right guy.

We'll likely have a comp pick or two as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2021 at 6:52 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Maye of the Jets would be an excellent choice (if he is available)

 

He is a top safety (ranked 7th) and wants out of NY.

 

A 3rd in 2023 and 5th in 2022 would probably get it done, BUT as part of the trade he would need to be signed to a long term del

(He is a FA after this year)

 

He is a mile better than what we have today 

 

 

 

Why make a trade for a safety? Do u think this defence is a safety away from becoming a compititent defence? Ballard's drafting of defensive players has been a disaster. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Why make a trade for a safety? Do u think this defence is a safety away from becoming a compititent defence? Ballard's drafting of defensive players has been a disaster. 

so do nothing then... don't try to improve....

 

I agree Ballard is far from the perfect guy many here like to pretend he is, but dude you're like king chicken little. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Why make a trade for a safety? Do u think this defence is a safety away from becoming a compititent defence? Ballard's drafting of defensive players has been a disaster. 

Actually I DO think that if we had some team health, some DL development from the current rookies, an excellent safety, AND a PR specialist.....   I think we WOULD have an EXCELLENT defense  

 

So an excellent safety wouldnt fix all the problems, but added with the other would dramaitically improve the team

 

Its a piece of the solution, but a key piece

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...