Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Ijalana Now Officially A Guard?

That Guy

I noticed that on the colts websites draft coverage, they listed Ijalana under the "Last Five Guards Drafted" section. He is listed as a Tackle on the official roster, but is Pagano moving him to Guard?

Guards:

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/2012-NFL-DRAFT--GUARDS/9c9bd035-35e0-41c7-9a7e-256f9bfbb28c

Tackles:

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/2012-NFL-DRAFT--OFFENSIVE-TACKLES/11205b61-81fa-4f6b-8f5e-abe771333ceb

Am I reading too much into this?

My mistake, I thought he fit more of the "versatile lineman" mold. He would be athletic enough to convert.

He may be - I don't know much about him, I've just never read anything calling him a guard

Im not going O linemen early thats why we splurged with the trades and free agents, Ill take a Guard late in the draft but Im going Corner in the 2nd round we need one that can start right away not another developmental one we have all kinds of those, we need to get teams to fear throwing on us

Isn't Justice exclusively a tackle?

I don't think I'd pen him in at any position until we see him play. He was horrible in his last 'real' game with the Eagles and hardly played last season. I know he had an injury, but I'm not sure that was his entire problem.

Just because he's new, doesn't mean he's good.

Justice would be absolutely terrible at guard IMO. He is a natural tackle. I thought Ijalana would still be the right tackle, and im not sure they view Justice as anything more than a backup at this point. I guess we'll see.

If he makes the team. I like Reitz's potential. We really know nothing about Ijalana at this point.

This is going to be a fun preseason, first time in a long time that we go into it with at least half the starting spots open.

If he makes the team. I like Reitz's potential. We really know nothing about Ijalana at this point.

This is going to be a fun preseason, first time in a long time that we go into it with at least half the starting spots open.

I agree. I don't know why some people give Reitz such a hard time, IMO he done pretty good at guard being the 1st season he's ever played at that position. I think he has the potential to be very good with the right coaching. Something, I didn't have a lot of confidence in with the old staff.

I agree. I don't know why some people give Reitz such a hard time, IMO he done pretty good at guard being the 1st season he's ever played at that position. I think he has the potential to be very good with the right coaching. Something, I didn't have a lot of confidence in with the old staff.

Agreed, I had no issue with Reitz. He did struggle a little but he was also learning, and he was great in run blocking.

I've read scouting reports that say Ijalana is a very good LT and when we drafted him and Castonzo, we should have had Castonzo play RT and Ijalana play LT. However, since we already had Castonzo and Justice at T, it would make most sense to move Ijalana to G where he is still capable instead of having him sit on the bench

Maybe I'm the only one but I am not sold on Castonzo being our LT of the future. His footwork needs A LOT of improvement. I just see him being a more natural RT. I think at some point we may address that...probably not this year but in a year or two. If Ijalana is healthy I think he makes the field. I think we may take a guard..but late in the draft unless a great one falls to us. While we may need CB, NT, TE, WR we have to make sure Luck is in one piece first and foremost...else we end up with Sam Bradford. Incredibly talented...but beat up.

Im giving our line a chance this season, they were all out of place at some point last season do to inuries, the corners and defensive tackles werent for the most part, those are our biggest needs

1QB

2CB

3WR

4DT

5Tight End

6Guard

7Wide Receiver is where Im going

I don't think we should just be decided on if he's a guard over just one indication on the Colts site. I want to see what happens in training camp, because I still don't think it's official.

If this were the case, I wouldn't be against it, but I think we could do much better than Justice at tackle. His footwork is not very good which means that speed rushers will get around him just like they get around Linkenbach. However, he is better than Linkenbach.

I must say, this isn't the worst O-line I've ever seen.

If we could get a solid Tackle in the draft (say Mike Adams at 34), would anyone go for it?

Starting line of:

Castonzo

Ijalana

Satele

Justice

Adams

if the colts put ijalana at guard i would def go for adams at 34 if he's available and the colts deem him worthy or maybe mitchell schwartz in the 3rd. i just can't believe people are penciling in justice like he has ever been a quality starter. that would be like the panthers thinking mike pollack is their solution at guard.

heck, if the colts could get adams in the 2nd and ta'amu in the 3rd i would be stoked...

He was projected as a guard before the draft, and Polian spoke of him as a potential guard. But he was listed as a tackle, and still is on NFL.com. I don't know what the drawback was for him to play tackle in the NFL, but he was a starting left tackle throughout college.

He was projected as a guard before the draft, and Polian spoke of him as a potential guard. But he was listed as a tackle, and still is on NFL.com. I don't know what the drawback was for him to play tackle in the NFL, but he was a starting left tackle throughout college.

It's very similar to the situation of Brandon Washington of The U. Played left tackle, and now is projected and listed as a guard. I guess scouts and others thought he would be a better guard in the NFL due to his great versatility and good footwork. They may have thought that he was a guard playing tackle.

It's very similar to the situation of Brandon Washington of The U. Played left tackle, and now is projected and listed as a guard. I guess scouts and others thought he would be a better guard in the NFL due to his great versatility and good footwork. They may have thought that he was a guard playing tackle.

I thought it was his arm length, but someone pointed out a few weeks ago that his arm length and wingspan are as big as any other tackle drafted in the first round: Tyron Smith, Anthony Castonzo, Gabe Carimi, the gigantic Nate Solder, James Carpenter. He's a couple inches shorter than the others at 6-3 5/8, but I don't know if that makes him any less of a blocker, especially with great arms and tons of experience. He started all his college games at tackle.

I suppose so.

I am guessing this is our starting offensive line week 1:

LT: Castonzo

LG: Reitz

OC: Samele

RG: Ijalana

RT: Justice

Not bad..

I think our starting OL should be.

LT: Pat McAfee

LG: Pat McAfee

OC: Pat McAfee

RG: Pat McAfee

RT: Pat McAfee

But I also think the OL lineup you have is pretty solid as well.

I don't think we should just be decided on if he's a guard over just one indication on the Colts site. I want to see what happens in training camp, because I still don't think it's official.

If this were the case, I wouldn't be against it, but I think we could do much better than Justice at tackle. His footwork is not very good which means that speed rushers will get around him just like they get around Linkenbach. However, he is better than Linkenbach.

I must say, this isn't the worst O-line I've ever seen.

No I would have to give that to the Texans rookie year with David Carr that gave up 76 sacks, the guy is lucky he is walking up right, sure he wasnt a great contributor in the NFL we all know that but its hard to contribute when ya dont have an offensive line, I just hope we can provide protection for Luck and he dont go through that mess

I hope not I really liked him at tackle a lot more than justice. Just look back at the Tampa Bay game against Clayborne Ijalana put in work

Clayborne was the guy who would be Anthony like a drum in College. Ben handle him pretty well last season. I really hope the coaches put him at LT and move Anthony to the right side. If not then I like the idea of him being the left guard. Either way Ben needs to be on the left side, his natural side.

Ben played what one quarter at tackle this year and you think he should start over Anthony? If he was beleived to be the better player, he would have started. He only got into a game at tackle due to injury. I hope he is going to be a solid starter but lets not get carried away.

Ben played what one quarter at tackle this year and you think he should start over Anthony? If he was beleived to be the better player, he would have started. He only got into a game at tackle due to injury. I hope he is going to be a solid starter but lets not get carried away.

Sorry but nothing about Anthony tells me otherwise. Anthony is a gifted person, but I think and this is my personal opinion. I really think he should be on the right side. Or Ben should be next to him as the left guard.

Your also talking about pet projects under the polian regime. Everyone knew painter was terrible and polian said he was vindicated by his play after ONE decent game. In fact, polian but several people in positions, and heaped praise on them, when they played so poorly but he picked them so he was going prove he was right up to the bitter end. Polian was a dictator and stubborn, I don't think Griggs has a track record at being the top guy to be afforded that same rope irsay allowed polian to have. Pagano is also a tough nosed kinda guy who will play a 6th round guy over a 1st rounder if he shows his play is better and the first rounder issues aren't easily fixable IMHO. All our other coaches pretty much were loyal players coaches. My guess is pagano will have the respect of his guys but he will also sit them if they are not the best player at the spot on the team.

Maybe he changed his mind some place along the way but Polian was the one who declared Ijalana was a tackle and not a guard. This was a quote from him during camp

“I think you put him at tackle and let him go,” Polian said. “The young ones will ready when they are ready, and then they will get on the field. They certainly have enough talent, that’s obvious.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/26302/quick-hits-from-polian-and-caldwell

Now with that said Polian is no longer here so it wouldn't shock me at all if the new coaching staff wanted to explore this with Ijalana who in my mind is pretty much a rookie due to the so little playing time he got last year due to the injury. If they want to move him around now would be the time to do it.

Frankly I think the whole line is up in the air other than LT and C. I don't think anyone can feel like they have the other jobs "won" right now. They will do some mixing in and matching in camp I am sure. I will say this about Justice today I know they were talking about him on the radio this afternoon and the guy being interviewed said he thinks Justice is a good back up should a starter get hurt but if we are counting on him to be a starter we are in trouble. It could be the Colts got Justice as a back up for Ijalana who is coming off a major knee injury and Castonzo who battled an injury last year as well and the Colts aren't going to ask Justice to start. Keep in mind there were people saying earlier this off-season that Saturday thought Ijalana could be our starting left tackle in the near future. If that's the case I doubt they will move him from tackle unless they have to.

Maybe I'm the only one but I am not sold on Castonzo being our LT of the future. His footwork needs A LOT of improvement. I just see him being a more natural RT. I think at some point we may address that...probably not this year but in a year or two. If Ijalana is healthy I think he makes the field. I think we may take a guard..but late in the draft unless a great one falls to us. While we may need CB, NT, TE, WR we have to make sure Luck is in one piece first and foremost...else we end up with Sam Bradford. Incredibly talented...but beat up.

You are not the only one and I was hoping for Soldier, but the dang Pats picked him first. Castonzo has serious problems with speed rushers in college and either that has to get better or he must be moved to RT. Pagano and Grigs don't HAVE TO pencil in Castonzo at LT, because they didn't pick him. They can do whatever they want. When Collins and Painter got clobbered because Castonzo couldn't handle the NFL speed rushers, that was awful to see. But if it continues in 2012 and Luck gets clobbered, I'm gonna be ticked off.

I think we will piece together whatever we can we these guys and run, run, play action. I don't see Luck sitting in the pocket for a long time. They will ask him to get rid of it quickly and try to keep defenses honest by running the ball 30 times a game. This has less to do with winning and more to do with just trying to get our rookie qb through the hardest transition he will ever face. In college he had a great offensive line and a run first team. He felt little pressure. This year the game will play 10X faster and people in his face. Lets not make it impossible on the kid. People that don't want to be a running team I think would do a diservice to Luck by putting him back there with an unproven line and could stunt his growth or get his head knocked off. I think that is why we have a run first offensive line. Reading reviews for every single one of our lineman it goes without saying that pass protection is their biggest weakness of every single one. They all have strength in run support but are either a step slow or have problems with their feet/balance in pass protection. This doesn't mean we won't pass but I think we will try to run as much as possible as we saw we ran the ball more last year than in years past. Time will tell...and I am sure we will transition the line in the next couple years by strategic picks/FAs to get a proper pass protection from our line before uncorking Luck on everyone.