Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who fills in for Fisher?

AKB

Who fills in for Fisher?   

106 members have voted

1. 1. Davenport - Tevi - Fries

• AKB changed the title to Who fills in for Fisher?
5 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

I forgot about Holden. Maybe a mod can edit it and add him into the IDK slot. 

Tevi is probably the front runner, but I liked what we saw from Holden.  Admittedly it was a very small sample size.  And once the D knows a guys weaknesses, they’ll exploit it.  

So it may have been that he didn’t play enough to be exposed.

One thing I think we all can agree on, the quality depth at T is vastly improved.  Now, we just have to hope the starter can play up to AC’s level.  

My guess is that it will come down to a battle between Holden and Tevi. Davenport gets cut, and Fries goes to the PS. I voted Holden to win that competition. Pat Kirwin may love Tevi, but Tevi’s past record isn’t pretty. He’s better than what the Colts had at backup last year though, which is at least progress. Here’s to Fisher getting back by October!

Ballard had been saying Tevi, but in one of the recent interviews(don't remember which one) he said Holden's name first.  

If you know for certain it's temporary, only 3-4 games, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing how Nelson does.  

54 minutes ago, #12. said:

Ballard had been saying Tevi, but in one of the recent interviews(don't remember which one) he said Holden's name first.  

If you know for certain it's temporary, only 3-4 games, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing how Nelson does.  

Q is not going to be playing left tackle and if you see him, I'd advise you not to bring up the subject.

57 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Fisher is gonna fill in for Fisher? 

Roger. Got it. 10-4

Think he is saying Fisher starts game 1 which is still a viable option, some reports have him ready by August but so hard to tell with this type of injury.

8 hours ago, Hoose said:

My guess is that it will come down to a battle between Holden and Tevi. Davenport gets cut, and Fries goes to the PS. I voted Holden to win that competition. Pat Kirwin may love Tevi, but Tevi’s past record isn’t pretty. He’s better than what the Colts had at backup last year though, which is at least progress. Here’s to Fisher getting back by October!

No reason to cut Davenport til we get Fisher back.

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Think he is saying Fisher starts game 1 which is still a viable option, some reports have him ready by August but so hard to tell with this type of injury.

Highly doubt it.

9 hours ago, Hoose said:

For what it’s worth...    Davenport received nearly $400k in guaranteed money.   The Colts don’t give out guaranteed money lightly. 

That won’t make us not cut him,  but I think he’s going to get a long hard look to make the team, and if not, we might be able to trade him for a 7.  

Just now, Colts1324 said:

Why are people so down on Tevi?! He isn't who you want as a long term or even on a one-year gap solution, but he has the skill and experience to be a solid option at LT for 3-4 weeks. He is our best option

Maybe because he was rated just as bad as Clark and Green

46 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Do you think there’s a chance, even a small one, that Ballard and Dodds are aware of how Tevi is rated?

Do you think Ballard and Dodds believe  the guy they signed is no better than Clark and Green?

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you think there’s a chance, even a small one, that Ballard and Dodds are aware of how Tevi is rated?

Do you think Ballard and Dodds believe  the guy they signed is no better than Clark and Green?

I think the better question is do they even care about his rating and it's obviously no. 

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Back to Pat Kirwin’s take, he’s said multiple times that Tevi started at LT, played a thousand(?) something snaps last year and gave up only 1 sack.  Throws out there that he thinks he’s a solid LT.

Honestly, I know very little about him, but I rate Kirwin as one of the best voices out there in NFL prognosticator land.  Not sure there are ‘fans’ out there with better insight.

10 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Back to Pat Kirwin’s take, he’s said multiple times that Tevi started at LT, played a thousand(?) something snaps last year and gave up only 1 sack.  Throws out there that he thinks he’s a solid LT.

Honestly, I know very little about him, but I rate Kirwin as one of the best voices out there in NFL prognosticator land.  Not sure there are ‘fans’ out there with better insight.

I've read several things on Tevi. Sounds like a guy who has improved a bit year over year, but still very limited and not starter quality. Getting better at pass pro, but still plain bad blocking for the run. And keep in mind LAC's line was the worst ranked (32nd) OL last year. Overall, I think he's good depth, better than we've had, but he's not a starter. Will he be fine next to Q protecting Wentz, probably. Will we do good running over LT, probably not.

Here's a snippet from a Chargers article.

"At least we’re starting off on a relatively positive note. Sam Tevi might’ve been the Chargers’ best offensive lineman in 2020. My expectations were not high to start the season. Frankly, it felt like Tevi was the weak link in an offensive line that should’ve improved at the time.

Tevi was simply unplayable in previous seasons. In 2018, he gave up 61 pressures and eight sacks on 871 snaps. In 2019, the pressures came down to 40, but he also played about 100 fewer snaps. That same eight sacks allowed number also remained.

While not great by any means, Tevi did show real improvement in 2020. On 1024 snaps played, he gave up just 33 pressures and two sacks. As a pass blocker, it was by far the best season of his career.

The drawback here is that run blocking is still a weakness for Tevi. While his pass blocking hit a career high, his run blocking hit a career low. Per PFF, Tevi graded with a 41.9 in the run game. Not good.

Relative to my expectations, Tevi did improve quite a bit. Still, I’m left feeling like it’s not nearly enough. I wouldn’t mind the Chargers re-signing Tevi to a depth tackle contract, but he simply can’t be the starter going into next season. While he improved as a pass blocker, he was a huge liability in the run game.

Considering that he was the only lineman who I thought improved, I’ll take what I can get."

https://boltbeat.com/2021/03/02/la-chargers-grading-dismal-offensive-line/

17 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Not saying he won't (well, maybe I am...) but If he starts game 1, then his recovery will indeed be in the stratosphere of recoveries joining the likes of Adrian Peterson (ACL) and Terrell Suggs (Achilles). Those don't happen very often.

9 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Why are people so down on Tevi?! He isn't who you want as a long term or even on a one-year gap solution, but he has the skill and experience to be a solid option at LT for 3-4 weeks. He is our best option

For a high priority position, Pat Kirwan believes a 'decent' backup will allow at least 50% win percentage over a small number of games. (IE: 2 wins and 2 losses over 4 games). Anyone have analytics (like VORP or such) on Left Tackles?

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not saying he won't (well, maybe I am...) but If he starts game 1, then his recovery will indeed be in the stratosphere of recoveries joining the likes of Adrian Peterson (ACL) and Terrell Suggs (Achilles). Those don't happen very often.

For a high priority position, Pat Kirwan believes a 'decent' backup will allow at least 50% win percentage over a small number of games. (IE: 2 wins and 2 losses over 4 games). Anyone have analytics (like VORP or such) on Left Tackles?

I think we can win with Tevi. 

It doesn’t matter to me as long as we get good OL play as a unit which should help us win. That’s the bottom line and we have to trust that the best option will rise to the top after TC. Will be an interesting battle to watch in TC.

4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

But look who Cark and Green were paying beside. Then look at who Tevi was playing beside. 

One could say Tevi played on the worst OL in the league, and he was not the focus to attack. And one could say Clark and Green were the weakest links on the Colts OL by far, and the obvious focus of attack for DLs.

It's really hard to tell. My gut says Tevi is a notch above, but not too much above. I think he'll be better in pass pro than run blocking.

Archived