Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats bring Cam back

Myles

Well, it just means that Belichick is not going to spend big on the QB position and is hoping Cam Newton, who has been a streaky passer most of his career, will somehow magically do a 90, if not a 180 on his passing efficiency. :) 

Cam was AWEFUL last year, dreadful in fact. He had a problem throwing the basic passes, I wouldn't want him as a back up. All this tells me is that it's 100% that the Pats draft a QB with the 1st pick. Cam will be the stop gap until whoever is ready..

Makes more sense than people are going to give it credit for. Not that Cam is awesome, but the list of options certainly isn't awesome, they're not overpaying to do it and Cam could actually play marginally better, get him some help and all of the sudden it's not so easy to beat the Patriots again.

IMO Cam was not as bad as some think.

He threw for 2,657 yards with 8 TDs plus ran for 592 yds and 12 TDs. 

That was on a very bad team that had no TEs or receivers. 

He also tested positive with COVID that interrupted a pretty good start of the season.

Don't get me wrong as I don't care for him as a QB but I'm not going to exaggerate like some are.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I suppose it ends the thoughts of Garppolo or Brissett going back.   

I think Cam will have a tremendous season. It also means they are not blaming Cam for last season. He did have Covid and came back. They had more players opt out because of Covid than any other team. They had terrible receivers and that is going to be fixed. I saw enough in Cam to think he will be close to being back to his best. He also has had time to learn the offense.

Just now, Thebrashandthebold said:

I think Cam will have a tremendous season. It also means they are not blaming Cam for last season. He did have Covid and came back. They had more players opt out because of Covid than any other team. They had terrible receivers and that is going to be fixed. I saw enough in Cam to think he will be close to being back to his best. He also has had time to learn the offense.

They are gonna get some good players being 3rd in available cap space 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Well, it just means that Belichick is not going to spend big on the QB position and is hoping Cam Newton, who has been a streaky passer most of his career, will somehow magically do a 90, if not a 180 on his passing efficiency. :) 

See my post about Cam. He will be much better this year with better receivers. I would not be surprised to see Newton and the Pats have a better year than Wentz and the Colts. I hope I am wrong about that.

1 minute ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

See my post about Cam. He will be much better this year with better receivers. I would not be surprised to see Newton and the Pats have a better year than Wentz and the Colts. I hope I am wrong about that.

You really hate Wentz don't you?

Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

3 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Cam was AWEFUL last year, dreadful in fact. He had a problem throwing the basic passes, I wouldn't want him as a back up. All this tells me is that it's 100% that the Pats draft a QB with the 1st pick. Cam will be the stop gap until whoever is ready..

You are wrong about that as comments from other people here indicate. If he was what you are saying they would never have brought him back. I think they might take a QB but I don't think they will move up to get one in the first round. Yes, Cam is a stop gap that could turn into a number option with the players they add and the ones that are returning. 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I doubt he will be very good. Only way to go for is up though. 

I think he will be very good as he was the first three games for the Pats before he got Covid. I am a big fan of a healthy Cam Newton and he certainly showed that he was by running for almost 600 yards and scoring 12 TDs. He had to do that because their receivers were lousy. That will be fixed. 

2 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I think he will be very good as he was the first three games for the Pats before he got Covid. I am a big fan of a healthy Cam Newton and he certainly showed that he was by running for almost 600 yards and scoring 12 TDs. He had to do that because their receivers were lousy. That will be fixed. 

There's no guarantee they will be fixed but should probably improve. 

Cam isn't exactly known for being a great passer anymore so doubt any WR FA wants to go there. 

I could see a guy like Juju signing big contract there

Cam's shoulder is shot, he shot putted passes and threw a ton straight into the ground. He was bad, he was horrible. 14 million for a VERY washed up QB is flat out silly. They would have been better off going for Dalton, he's not a superstar but he's better than Cam..

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

There's no guarantee they will be fixed but should probably improve. 

Cam isn't exactly known for being a great passer anymore so doubt any WR FA wants to go there. 

I could see a guy like Juju signing big contract there

Actually, re-signing Cam was done in part because players do want to play with him as the QB.

6 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Cam's shoulder is shot, he shot putted passes and threw a ton straight into the ground. He was bad, he was horrible. 14 million for a VERY washed up QB is flat out silly. They would have been better off going for Dalton, he's not a superstar but he's better than Cam..

I don't agree with you about any of that Cam's shoulder is sound and he had good velocity on the ball. He was under pressure the whole season because important linemen opted out. They will be back and they just traded for their old LT. That will be fixed. I am not worried about Cam. You have all you can handle worrying about Wentz in Indy. Cam will be tremendous this year. The Pats think so too and that is why he was re-signed with a nice raise in pay. 

48 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

But he had an average year

How does entice FAs to join?

The Patriots as we once knew them are all done. Bill is just like every other GM now, scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to find a decent QB while praying he finds someone in the draft. If the Jets end up with a decent QB at #2, the Pats are looking at last place in the East.

On 3/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, Thebrashandthebold said:

Newton is no more than an insurance policy. 

On 3/12/2021 at 2:15 PM, Thebrashandthebold said:

Here is one article I came across.  Cam Newton's return gives Patriots options, could help lure free agents - New England Patriots- ESPN  This is on ESPN's site this morning.

He couldn't lure a clown to a circus at this point in his career. That team has 8-8 written all over them. I am glad they re-signed him so I can enjoy them being average again. Bills and Dolphins will finish ahead them in the East, that is common sense. 

I bet they draft a QB with their 1st round pick, no way that BB really thinks they can win with Cam at QB. That is like us starting Brissett and thinking we can make a SB run :funny:

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He couldn't lure a clown to a circus at this point in his career. That team has 8-8 written all over them. I am glad they re-signed him so I can enjoy them being average again. Bills and Dolphins will finish ahead them in the East, that is common sense. 

I bet they draft a QB with their 1st round pick, no way that BB really thinks they can win with Cam at QB. That is like us starting Brissett and thinking we can make a SB run :funny:

I don't agree with you. Brissett is not and never has been in Cam's league. BB wouldn't have re-signed Cam if he didn't think they could win. They were 7-9 with Cam battling Covid. I think the Pats will compete to win that division and I am not convinced that either the Bills or Dolphins finish ahead of them. They have the GOAT of all time in BB. I expect the Pats to have a season at least equal to the Colts or even better. Lots of players coming back who sat out last year.

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They were 7-9 with I think most players opting out cause of covid....Cam coming off of injuries,  Cam coming in late and not knowing playbook/system fully and then himself getting covid...having no talented WR's & TE's etc....etc... etc.... and still managed winning 7 games in a disastrous pathetic season.

They've already added talent this off season, are just a WR away from approaching our 2020 offensive weaponry talent and are in good position to possibly drafting a top QB prospect ....and still have the greatest HC of all time . And let's not forget Belichek & Kraft's mentality at stopping at nothing to win, and I don't mean barely qualifying for a wild card and going one & done.

As long as Belichek and Kraft are there, there's always a chance they do what they do and return to prominence. 

I hope I'm wrong of course and their done but......

12 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

They were 7-9 with I think most players opting out cause of covid....Cam coming off of injuries,  Cam coming in late and not knowing playbook/system fully and then himself getting covid...having no talented WR's & TE's etc....etc... etc.... and still managed winning 7 games in a disastrous pathetic season.

They've already added talent this off season, are just a WR away from approaching our 2020 offensive weaponry talent and are in good position to possibly drafting a top QB prospect ....and still have the greatest HC of all time . And let's not forget Belichek & Kraft's mentality at stopping at nothing to win, and I don't mean barely qualifying for a wild card and going one & done.

As long as Belichek and Kraft are there, there's always a chance they do what they do and return to prominence. 

I hope I'm wrong of course and their done but......

BB may be the GOAT but I don't see it with Cam at QB. He isn't anywhere near 2015 Cam. I guess we will find out this upcoming season. To me the Bills are clearly better in that division. Josh Allen may even be a top 5 QB today, if not he is 5-7 and that alone will win them the East.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

BB may be the GOAT but I don't see it with Cam at QB. He isn't anywhere near 2015 Cam. I guess we will find out this upcoming season. To me the Bills are clearly better in that division. Josh Allen may even be a top 5 QB today, if not he is 5-7 and that alone will win them the East.

Cam is a question mark, most likely in minds of Patriots too. He may be there just keep warm seat for a Top rookie or maybe they trade for Ryan? Cam is insurance if they can't acquire better. But this season's situation will be much better than last years. And don't  be surprised in much improvement regardless who gets the majority of snaps.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Miami is also better than the Patriots. Will be interesting to see if Watson ends up there.

The Jets will also have a top Qb with the second pick in the draft. It's a Qb league so the Pats right now have the worst one in their division.

I agree about Allen. I think he is #2 behind Mahomes in the AFC. 

Really feeling like Belichek is gonna try to move up for a QB.

You can feel it coming.

Filling holes now so he can transfer some draft picks.

I really thought they were gonna somehow come out with Watson....or even Wilson.  It just feels like Belichek is working a plan to the bone.  Tucked away in his evil lair.

Archived