• 12-13: Very good
    • 10-11: Good
    • 7-9: Mediocre
    • 5-6: Bad
    • 4 or less: Just shoot me
  2. 2. Carson will have how many yards in 2021

3. 3. How many games will Carson play in 2021

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/16/2021 at 02:37 AM

Hey guys, just a thread with detail on Carson as both a person, and a player. I started digging into his story, and decided to share. I have to admit, I like him more now. Still concerned about his ability to rebound, but I now have a bit more faith that he will.

Everyone for the most part is familiar with his NFL stats and resume, so not going to spend a lot of time there. 

Regardless of your thoughts, or concerns, recommend taking 5 minutes to read. Enjoy.

@danlhart87 don't get too excited by the this, especially the pics.... 

General

Name: Carson James Wentz
Nickname: Ginger Jesus
Height: 6-5
Weight: 237lbs
DOB: 12-30-1992 (28)
POB: Raleigh, NC
High School: Century, Bismarck, ND
College: FCS North Dakota State
Draft: 2016, R1/P2
Twitter:  @cj_wentz
His dog's Twitter: @qb11_henley

High School Career
-Played DB and QB
-Played basketball and baseball as well
-Was only 5-8 as a freshman and grew 9 inches by senior year
-Valedictorian of his class

Recruiting
-Not rated by any recruiting sites (247, Rivals, etc.)
-Only offer was ND State

College Career
-5x FCS National Champions (only starter 2 years)
-FR Year 2011 - Redshirt
-SO Year 2012 - Backup
-JR Year 2013 - Backup 

-SR Year 2014 - Starter (15-1)

63.7 completion % / 8.7 AVG / 154.1 PR 
3,111 passing yards / 25 TD / 10 INT 
642 rushing yards / 4.7 AVG / 6 TDs

-5th Year 2015 - Starter *injury
62.5 completion % / 7.9 AVG / 152.3 PR
1,651 passing yards / 17 TD / 4 INT
294 rushing yards / 4.7 AVG / 6 TD

Combine Results
40 Time - 4.77
Velocity - 57 MPH
Vert - 30.5 in
20 Yard Shuttle - 4.15
3 Cone - 6.86

Pro Career
-Record (regular season): 35-32-1 (0-1 post season)
-Completion %: 62.7
-YPG: 247.2
-TD/INT: 113/50
-ANY/A: 5.87
-Passer Rating:  89.2 (avg)
-PFF (yearly): 69.9 / 84.9 / 79.4 / 76.5 / 65.0

Injury History
HS  arm and shoulder injuries (baseball player)
2015 Broken Wrist
2016 Rib Fracture
2017 ACL and LCL (Left Knee)
2018 Vertebrae Fracture
2020 Concussion

Chance of injury in 2021 - 83%
Chance of injury per game - 10.5%
Projected games missed in 2021 - 2.3

Miscellaneous Tid Bits
-Moved from NC to ND at the age of 3
-He can deal - First QB in NFL history to throw for over 4K yards with no WR over 500 yards
-Smart dude - Valedictorian in HS, 4.0 GPA in college
-Major: Health and Physical Ed (minor in Psychology)
-Was considered by some a mid or later 1st round pick, but blew up after the combine
-40/50 on Wonderlic (reported), but also reported as 29
-Married Madison Oberg in 2018
-Had a daughter in 2020, Hadley Jayne
-Lives in Mullica Hill in S NJ (for now)
-Vocal Christian and founder of AO1 Foundation
-Avid hunter... insert Tim Taylor grunt
-BFFs with Mike Trout
-Has at least two Golden Retrievers - Henley and Jersey (son of Henley)
-First Job - Youth baseball umpire

Links
Draft Profile
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/carson-wentz/32005745-4e61-5770-9c68-1652f876bc72

Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Wentz

ND State
https://gobison.com/sports/football/roster/carson-wentz/6273

College Stats
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/carson-wentz-1.html

2016 Combine QB Comps
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2619881-nfl-combine-2016-results-tracking-40-times-bench-press-and-all-drills

Pro Stats
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WentCa00.htm

Advanced Stats
https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/carson-wentz/

Injury Predictor
https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/carson-wentz/7450

Just read... (includes a section on Reich)
https://www.nj.com/eagles/2017/11/11_things_that_make_eagles_qb_carson_wentz_special.html

Pics
DvSNYOjWwAAgs8t.jpg

5ea8e543441a3.image.jpg?resize=500,666

101616_wentz_special.2e16d0ba.fill-735x4

img-10.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSXwapvjGACDUccXTItkX

CarsonWentzBuck.jpg

DrGgAqMU4AE3FqV.jpg

He will get the ball downfield more often than Rivers, allowing him to meet Rivers' total yardage despite what will almost certainly be more picks thrown.

If he doesn't have to play hero ball and calms down, I think he can play all 16 games.  Play less like Luck, and more like Rivers, and he will play all 16 games.

I predict the same number of wins.  Without the two lucky HOU fumbles, our active roster/play would have left us 9-7.   I think we take that next step next season and truly earn the 11-5 record.

I will get grilled for this,

but the fact that he is a rather rural person, a hunter, and publicly admits to being a Christian and even having a nickname Ginger Jesus,  I can understand why some might not think Philly is the best place for him.  The cultural alignment is a bit off, so to speak.  Indy seems like a better fit from that perspective.  And yes, despite that we are told not to look at things that way, sports leagues and Fortune 500 companies do look at stuff like that when they focus on selling product. 

Welcome home to Indiana Carson.  We wish you well.

here's another blip i found on his HS days worth posting

2011 graduate of Bismarck Century High School

All-conference at quarterback and defensive back

Recorded 61 tackles and two interceptions

Forward/center for the state’s No. 1-ranked basketball team

Class Valedictorian

National Honor Society

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2017/11/20/carson-wentz-high-school-facts/

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

He will get the ball downfield more often than Rivers, allowing him to meet Rivers' total yardage despite what will almost certainly be more picks thrown.

If he doesn't have to play hero ball and calms down, I think he can play all 16 games.  Play less like Luck, and more like Rivers, and he will play all 16 games.

I predict the same number of wins.  Without the two lucky HOU fumbles, our active roster/play would have left us 9-7.   I think we take that next step next season and truly earn the 11-5 record.

but the fact that he is a rather rural person, a hunter, and publicly admits to being a Christian and even having a nickname Ginger Jesus,  I can understand why some might not think Philly is the best place for him.  The cultural alignment is a bit off, so to speak.  Indy seems like a better fit from that perspective.  And yes, despite that we are told not to look at things that way, sports leagues and Fortune 500 companies do look at stuff like that when they focus on selling product. 

I agree Indy is a much better fit. That's a good thing for us. Perhaps between him and Reich, the Big Guy upstairs will smile on us this year lol. 

I think Reich will start him out similar to how he started out with JB. 

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree Indy is a much better fit. That's a good thing for us. Perhaps between him and Reich, the Big Guy upstairs will smile on us this year lol. 

I think Reich will start him out similar to how he started out with JB. 

He seems like an excitable guy on the field, which can lead to some erratic play.  Rivers was high energy, but seemed to learn to control it.  

Yes, I want to see a lot of dink and dunk and ball control early on.  He should certainly air it out at times, but I'd want him to build calm confidence in the beginning. 

Just now, DougDew said:

He seems like an excitable guy on the field, which can lead to some erratic play.  Rivers was high energy, but seemed to learn to control it.  

Yes, I want to see a lot of dink and dunk and ball control early on.  He should certainly air it out at times, but I'd want him to build calm confidence in the beginning. 

I'm right there with you. I want to start slow and controlled. I just don't want to stay conservative forever. IMO, they slow rolled JB to death. We kept hearing that they were going to open things up, but never felt like it. IMO, JB was capable of deep throws in a Chud or Arians type play call (throwing to a spot and letting the WR get there). He did that a bit in 2017. We just didn't really even try in 2019.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I don’t see why you would get grilled for it. Indiana is one of the more religious states in the country, and certainly more so than Pennsylvania. Hunting is also extremely popular there. I was the only person in my friend group that didn’t hunt when I lived there. He’s going to fit in perfectly, and I’m sure he’s going to feel more comfortable in his personal life living there as well. If that gets his headspace better, I’m all for it. 

As far as on the field, I’m just excited to see a QB that both can and wants to push the ball down the field again. Jacoby had the strength to push the ball down the field, but was too scared to. Philip wanted to push the ball down the field, but was too weak to. Carson is also much faster than both Philip and Jacoby. Hopefully he still has that speed after his injuries.

37 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

I don’t see why you would get grilled for it. Indiana is one of the more religious states in the country, and certainly more so than Pennsylvania. Hunting is also extremely popular there. I was the only person in my friend group that didn’t hunt when I lived there. He’s going to fit in perfectly, and I’m sure he’s going to feel more comfortable in his personal life living there as well. If that gets his headspace better, I’m all for it. 

As far as on the field, I’m just excited to see a QB that both can and wants to push the ball down the field again. Jacoby had the strength to push the ball down the field, but was too scared to. Philip wanted to push the ball down the field, but was too weak to. Carson is also much faster than both Philip and Jacoby. Hopefully he still has that speed after his injuries.

I think Doug's point, is there's always someone out there looking to be outraged about things. Hunting, religion, etc.. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but that's how I translated. He was just pointing out it's a better cultural fit in Indy, and I agree if that's what he means.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I think Doug's point, is there's always someone out there looking to be outraged about things. Hunting, religion, etc.. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but that's how I translated. He was just pointing out it's a better cultural fit in Indy, and I agree if that's what he means.

Pretty much, which also might explain partly why Wentz wanted to leave Philly and come here. 

No team or GM is going to base their picking of a QB significantly on such things, but it is a business and fan support is important.  If a greater percentage of the fan base can relate to the attributes that make up the QB as a person, they are more likely to support him and the team when things aren't perfect. Obviously winning solves everything and is the overwhelming factor, but stuff like this helps to establish a higher floor during bad times.

Back in the day, despite being from a small Pennsylvania town and the University of Alabama, a QB wore fur coats and flashy sunglasses and got the nickname Broadway Joe.  That aspect helped him, the Jets, and the NFL at the time.  Obviously, Wentz' popularity will never be on the scale of Namath, but the point is the same. 

From wiki:  Nicknamed "Broadway Joe", Namath's on-field success and brash personality made him a media icon who attracted mainstream popularity outside of sports. Although his statistics and win–loss record are unimpressive from a contemporary standpoint, Namath remains one of the league's most iconic and popular figures.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Pretty much, which also might explain partly why Wentz wanted to leave Philly and come here. 

No team or GM is going to base their picking of a QB significantly on such things, but it is a business and fan support is important.  If a greater percentage of the fan base can relate to the attributes that make up the QB as a person, they are more likely to support him and the team when things aren't perfect. Obviously winning solves everything and is the overwhelming factor, but stuff like this helps to establish a higher floor during bad times.

Back in the day, despite being from a small Pennsylvania town and the University of Alabama, a QB wore fur coats and flashy sunglasses and got the nickname Broadway Joe.  That aspect helped him, the Jets, and the NFL at the time.  Obviously, Wentz' popularity will never be on the scale of Namath, but the point is the same. 

From wiki:  Nicknamed "Broadway Joe", Namath's on-field success and brash personality made him a media icon who attracted mainstream popularity outside of sports. Although his statistics and win–loss record are unimpressive from a contemporary standpoint, Namath remains one of the league's most iconic and popular figures.

IMO, he didn't leave Philly because of the culture. He left for several reasons that include them taking Hurtz, and Indy just being a more attractive team (stable, OL, running game, Reich/Ballard, etc.) and what he sees as a willingness to be more supportive. I'm sure culture was attractive too, just farther down the list. 

Philly fans are unique lol. But they are in a sense blue collar and lunch pail too. They're just a more big city type team, with a rep when it comes to fans. Indy is more chill and small town.

Until I see how we do in Free Agency and who we get in the Draft it is hard to predict how many games we will win but I will play along and vote. I voted 10-11 wins just based on how our team looks on paper as of now. I would say 10 but with a good Free Agency and Draft that could go up to 11 or maybe 12? I voted 4000-4499 Yards (more like 4100), and I voted he will play in all of them. Our O.Line should protect him pretty well so barring a bad injury like an Achilles or ACL he should play in all 16.

39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Until I see how we do in Free Agency and who we get in the Draft it is hard to predict how many games we will win but I will play along and vote. I voted 10-11 wins just based on how our team looks on paper as of now. I would say 10 but with a good Free Agency and Draft that could go up to 11 or maybe 12? I voted 4000-4499 Yards (more like 4100), and I voted he will play in all of them. Our O.Line should protect him pretty well so barring a bad injury like an Achilles or ACL he should play in all 16.

I'm sure I, or others, will do more prediction type polls post FA, and then post draft. I just wanted to see how folks felt factoring solely the Wentz pickup.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

If he gets back to 2017 form, he can go to church 7 times a week, and I will personally buy him an RPG on the black market for him to hunt with. Heck, he can hunt my own dog if he wins us a Super Bowl.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, he didn't leave Philly because of the culture. He left for several reasons that include them taking Hurtz, and Indy just being a more attractive team (stable, OL, running game, Reich/Ballard, etc.) and what he sees as a willingness to be more supportive. I'm sure culture was attractive too, just farther down the list. 

Philly fans are unique lol. But they are in a sense blue collar and lunch pail too. They're just a more big city type team, with a rep when it comes to fans. Indy is more chill and small town.

Yes.  Agreed, cultural fit is not a significant reason, but it does contribute to decision making.  When things go wrong, fingers get pointed.  And fans probably tend to point fingers at the folks that are the least like themselves.  Like the Broadway Joe Namath example.  He embraced the NYC culture at the time.  Even though his stats were never wonderful, the fans were probably quicker to blame others for the problems rather than the guy who resembled themselves. 

Not a pleasant aspect of human nature, but it will never go away, ever, so smart organizations and people learn to address it.

Philly is right there in the big metropolis that extends from Boston through NYC/NJ and down to Washington DC.  Crossing the Appalachians starts the midwest and emphasis on different things in different priorities.  Not a big deal, but something to not ignore either.

And I think that cultural fit played a role in the Hurts/Wentz decision for Philly.  Obviously the quality of play and price tag are the driving factors, as well as coaching issues, but also it matters how much effort are you going to expend to be supportive when you have some fundamental things that will never change working against you and will always be struggling to conquer.  Best for both is to just move on.   I think Wentz was smart enough to see that and sort of forced their hand a bit.

So far with everything I've seen and heard I'm glad the Colts have him. 

Lets hope he plays well.  I'm more concerned about how many picks he'll throw and sacks he'll take rather than how many yards he gets.  The yards will come later, IMO.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  Agreed, cultural fit is not a significant reason, but it does contribute to decision making.  When things go wrong, fingers get pointed.  And fans probably tend to point fingers at the folks that are the least like themselves.  Like the Broadway Joe Namath example.  He embraced the NYC culture at the time.  Even though his stats were never wonderful, the fans were probably quicker to blame others for the problems rather than the guy who resembled themselves. 

Not a pleasant aspect of human nature, but it will never go away, ever, so smart organizations and people learn to address it.

Philly is right there in the big metropolis that extends from Boston through NYC/NJ and down to Washington DC.  Crossing the Appalachians starts the midwest and emphasis on different things in different priorities.  Not a big deal, but something to not ignore either.

And I think that cultural fit played a role in the Hurts/Wentz decision for Philly.  Obviously the quality of play and price tag are the driving factors, as well as coaching issues, but also it matters how much effort are you going to expend to be supportive when you have some fundamental things that will never change working against you and will always be struggling to conquer.  Best for both is to just move on.   I think Wentz was smart enough to see that and sort of forced their hand a bit.

Lets hope he plays well.  I'm more concerned about how many picks he'll throw and sacks he'll take rather than how many yards he gets.  The yards will come later, IMO.

I feel this is an excellent post, I'd just like to add the relationship factor as well. Hiring Taylor, having Frank and some insight into what will help Carson succeed here and the whole faith thing is probably important to people with faith as well. I guess you could probably just chalk all of this up under locker room culture as well. I'm probably nitpicking. I'm liking the trade more and more with each new article and each debunked "Wentz flaw." Does Frank really have to do any more than protect him and reign him in a little bit?

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

I agree with a lot of the above, but I don't think that the Hurts decision had anything to do with culture. He's from Houston, and played at Bama and OK. He's not a match either. 

As far as Wentz is concerned, I think they break down his mechanics (all reports are they went to hell) early on. He'll likely be working with someone pre-preseason... And then Reich will see what he has when the team comes together in camp. Even if he does return to form mechanically before the season, I'd anticipate a slow roll on the playbook to start, much like JB's early games. I'm not really worried about yards either, but I will be concerned if the playbook doesn't start opening up after the first quarter of the season. And of course, we'll want to see good/improved play as the season progresses. 

Another thing that will be interesting to me, is the backup situation. Some reports suggests JB won't be back. I'm not so sure as I just don't see him getting the offers in this particular year and market. I'm OK either way so long as we're not spending over 2M. If JB is gone, and Eason is the guy, I just hope he gets a ton of snaps preseason, and gets regular mop up duty during the season. 

6 hours ago, groundnpound said:

I feel this is an excellent post, I'd just like to add the relationship factor as well. Hiring Taylor, having Frank and some insight into what will help Carson succeed here and the whole faith thing is probably important to people with faith as well. I guess you could probably just chalk all of this up under locker room culture as well. I'm probably nitpicking. I'm liking the trade more and more with each new article and each debunked "Wentz flaw." Does Frank really have to do any more than protect him and reign him in a little bit?

Yes... 

58 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree with a lot of the above, but I don't think that the Hurts decision had anything to do with culture. He's from Houston, and played at Bama and OK. He's not a match either. 

As far as Wentz is concerned, I think they break down his mechanics (all reports are they went to hell) early on. He'll likely be working with someone pre-preseason... And then Reich will see what he has when the team comes together in camp. Even if he does return to form mechanically before the season, I'd anticipate a slow roll on the playbook to start, much like JB's early games. I'm not really worried about yards either, but I will be concerned if the playbook doesn't start opening up after the first quarter of the season. And of course, we'll want to see good/improved play as the season progresses. 

Another thing that will be interesting to me, is the backup situation. Some reports suggests JB won't be back. I'm not so sure as I just don't see him getting the offers in this particular year and market. I'm OK either way so long as we're not spending over 2M. If JB is gone, and Eason is the guy, I just hope he gets a ton of snaps preseason, and gets regular mop up duty during the season. 

I don't want JB back, but I think he will be back now.  Wentz has an injury history, and the trade language seems to say Ballard thinks there is a risk, so Eason is probably too young to be a reliable backup if we are serious about making a playoff run.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't want JB back, but I think he will be back now.  Wentz has an injury history, and the trade language seems to think Ballard thinks there is a risk, so Eason is probably too young to be a reliable backup if we are serious about making a playoff run.

It's a toss up for me. I think Ballard will give him all the time in the world to test the market. I don't see him getting a lot of offers, and I don't think Ballard will spend a ton this year or go longer than a year or two if he does. 

From a macro perspective, I think Ballard will do his best to "go all-in" for a run over the next two years, but won't go all-in $-wise on positions like backup QB or guys like JB. The cap situation should present some good opportunities of value on some positions of need, and that mixed with bringing back so key pieces will push backup-QB down the list this year. 

And personally, I'd rather just roll with Wentz and Eason. If Wentz tanks, and I hope he doesn't, my preference is to 1) just be bad for one year so our draft position is improved next year, and 2) answer all questions about Eason's future. There's just no sense in Eason hanging around and taking a roster spot if they can't figure out this year if he's at least back-up worthy.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Kenny Moore is just a great guy who does a lot for less fortunate people and sick children.  I hope he is nominated for the Man of the Year award one year.

Kenny is a good player for us without question, but I've always liked him more as a person than player. Just a class act. 

And I hope CW, or one of the Colts players has already sent GH a Colts jersey. While I don't want to steal a fan from another team, I think he'll become a fan of Indy no doubt, and be cheering on two teams each week. I'd love to see him in Irsay's box. That would be very very cool.

22 hours ago, DougDew said:

The process building confidence that began when Chris Ballard sealed the deal.   The GM & Coach believes in him & thats the thing that will get Wentz playing once again at a high level .

1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

The process building confidence that began when Chris Ballard sealed the deal.   The GM & Coach believes in him & thats the thing that will get Wentz playing once again at a high level .

People can be different birds.  Some require different management styles.  Wentz apparently is intelligent and has an Alpha personality, but may also not take having his ego bruised very well.  He probably needs somebody who is also Alpha, but that he thinks is equally intelligent who he respects when receiving attaboy comments.  Maybe its not the best personality to have but nobody's perfect.  An intelligent guy with a strong personality is a better personality to work with for a QB than someone who is dumb and meek.  JMO.

40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

People can be different birds.  Some require different management styles.  Wentz apparently is intelligent and has an Alpha personality, but may also not take having his ego bruised very well.  He probably needs somebody who is also Alpha, but that he thinks is equally intelligent who he respects when receiving attaboy comments.  Maybe its not the best personality to have but nobody's perfect.  An intelligent guy with a strong personality is a better personality to work with for a QB than someone who is dumb and meek.  JMO.

I like a lot of your post. And I like having an intellectual guy. Luck was intellectual which I loved too, but that's where the comparisons stop (unless you want to be superficial about height and draft placement stuff).

Not comparing the following to Luck but in general... Wentz seems like a "manly man" if that makes sense. Alpha, hunter, MWer, strong beliefs (religion). and simply more down to earth (not diva or silver spoon) compared to a lot of guys out there. He didn't take to twitter or trach folks when he wanted out. He just kept quiet externally. We can all assume he respects Reich and Indy's staff, or he wouldn't have been pro coming.

I like those aspects. Not saying it will make a difference one way or another, but it can't hurt.

10-11

<4000

All of them

I'm assuming Ballard will address protecting Wentz' backside, pass-catchers, and the pass-rush via FA and draft, so I think it will be a good year with some ups and downs.

I'm thinking 11-5, with a balanced offense where Wentz isn't putting up huge numbers because we're running the ball and playing defense.

If everything goes well, I could see the Colts winning 13 with Wentz putting up MVP stats, and getting the #2 seed.  But it's a looooonnggg time until next January...  :(

Good thread though!  Keep 'em comin with the polls and insights.  Threads like this make it much easier to get through the offseason.  :thanks:

9 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

10-11

<4000

All of them

I'm assuming Ballard will address protecting Wentz' backside, pass-catchers, and the pass-rush via FA and draft, so I think it will be a good year with some ups and downs.

I'm thinking 11-5, with a balanced offense where Wentz isn't putting up huge numbers because we're running the ball and playing defense.

If everything goes well, I could see the Colts winning 13 with Wentz putting up MVP stats, and getting the #2 seed.  But it's a looooonnggg time until next January...  :(

Good thread though!  Keep 'em comin with the polls and insights.  Threads like this make it much easier to get through the offseason.  :thanks:

you're welcome

Archived