Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mitch Trubisky as a potential long term answer at QB New Off-Season Outlook - Potentially Unpopular

56 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So because we're in the market for a QB, we go for a bad model? Car dealers must love you.

I own a car, a suv and a motorcycle which are all paid off but thank you for the attempted personal insult.....

Reread what I wrote in my opening dialogue......unpopular but worth talking about.

Additionally, we are not in the market for a QB - we NEED a QB and everyone knows it. That's why the asking price on Stafford, Wentz, Watson and likely even Darnold......

Try keeping it on topic versus personal attacks next time....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CR91 said:

That would make the whole Rivers signing pointless if the colts do roll with Brissett.

Huh?

Based on what?   This sounds like some made-up view on par with JMV’s “if you’re on the roster in March, then you’re in” nonsense that he floated. 

Things change.  We thought we’d be able to re-sign with PR.   Turns out we can’t.  But we didn’t know that a year ago.   There are ups and downs.  Gotta deal with them. 

12 hours ago, RNGDShobby said:

Agreed. Throwing 2020 down the toilet.
I understand there was no preseason but they really should have given Eason more attention if they knew they had to develop him.

There was no time for more attention.  It was the year of Covid and time was at a premium. 

Rivers got the vast majority as he should.  And Eason was no where near ready to step in if Rivers got hurt and the backup needed to play.

So Eason as the third string was the only fair and logical choice. 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Eason, or any other quarterback is thrown in before they’re ready, they get overwhelmed and often lose confidence.  Look at guys like Darnold and Trubisky and Rosen and countless others.   All of them could have benefited with a Redshirt year as Mahomes got.

I’m not saying they’d be great, but they’d be better.   It’s why so many teams are open to using a so-called bridge QB for a year or so. 

Very few QBs are like Peyton who went 3-13 and the next year goes 13-3.   That’s the exception, not the rule. 

Just because you want to see Eason NOW doesn’t mean he’s ready to be seen now.  He does not appear to be ready. 

We're talking about completely different situations. Those teams were rebuilding hoping their QB can be the reason they win games. That's not what Eason would have to do. They has a run game, weapons, an oline, and a defense to help him.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

Based on what?   This sounds like some made-up view on par with JMV’s “if you’re on the roster in March, then you’re in” nonsense that he floated. 

Things change.  We thought we’d be able to re-sign with PR.   Turns out we can’t.  But we didn’t know that a year ago.   There are ups and downs.  Gotta deal with them. 

Why sign Rivers if you trust Brissett to lead the team?

10 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I own a car, a suv and a motorcycle which are all paid off but thank you for the attempted personal insult.....

Reread what I wrote in my opening dialogue......unpopular but worth talking about.

Additionally, we are not in the market for a QB - we NEED a QB and everyone knows it. That's why the asking price on Stafford, Wentz, Watson and likely even Darnold......

Try keeping it on topic versus personal attacks next time....

Buddy if you took that as an insult, you have very sensitive skin. My point is desperation should not be what makes your decision. That gets people fired.

30 minutes ago, CR91 said:

We're talking about completely different situations. Those teams were rebuilding hoping their QB can be the reason they win games. That's not what Eason would have to do. They has a run game, weapons, an oline, and a defense to help him.

That's all beside the point.  If Eason isn’t ready to be the backup, and it’s unclear one way or the other, then he’s certainly not ready to be the starter.   Not by a long shot.

In the last 4 years Eason has basically played one year.   One.   That’s a recipe for failure.  Ballard is trying to give the kid the chance to succeed.  

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Why sign Rivers if you trust Brissett to lead the team?

Because Rivers was the far better option.  Far better.  

Just because Rivers was better one year, doesn’t mean JB can’t be the guy this year.   Not if CB and FR believe in him in the short term.   Either way, odds are high it won’t be Brissett.  I’m only saying if it turns out he’s the guy,  I won’t freak out. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because Rivers was the far better option.  Far better.  

Just because Rivers was better one year, doesn’t mean JB can’t be the guy this year.   Not if CB and FR believe in him in the short term.   Either way, odds are high it won’t be Brissett.  I’m only saying if it turns out he’s the guy,  I won’t freak out. 

That's like telling your partner Im only with you because the other person doesn't wanna be with me. Brissett must have very little self-esteem

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's all beside the point.  If Eason isn’t ready to be the backup, and it’s unclear one way or the other, then he’s certainly not ready to be the starter.   Not by a long shot.

In the last 4 years Eason has basically played one year.   One.   That’s a recipe for failure.  Ballard is trying to give the kid the chance to succeed.  

We don't know Eason can't play so of course Ballard isn't gonna give him anything. Look I'm not saying start Eason. As a last resort, fine, but I'm not gonna sit here and try to convince myself Trubisky or Brissett would be better options because that's lunacy.

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That's like telling your partner Im only with you because the other person doesn't wanna be with me. Brissett must have very little self-esteem

The world of sports is completely unique.  I don’t think your analogy holds up well.  Situations change all the time.   It’s clearly changed for the Colts. 

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

We don't know Eason can't play so of course Ballard isn't gonna give him anything. Look I'm not saying start Eason. As a last resort, fine, but I'm not gonna sit here and try to convince myself Trubisky or Brissett would be better options because that's lunacy.

Correction.   YOU don’t know if Eason can start.   WE don’t know if Eason can start.   But Ballard and Reich and Sirianni and Brady all know.   

Publicly saying he doesn’t know if Eason is ready to be the back-up is Ballard’s polite way of saying he’s not ready to be the starter.  

I don’t know why you continue to fight this so hard? 

The world of sports is completely unique.  I don’t think your analogy holds up well.  Situations change all the time.   It’s clearly changed for the Colts. 

Sure, but what are you telling Brissett exactly when he was a year removed from starting to take a backseat for an almost 40 year old QB

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Pointless now, yes. But I wonder if the brass were hoping to have Rivers for another year, and then the retirement happened? :dunno:

That is whats confusing me. Why when it seemed like Rivers wanted to return (I have no proof of this, but Leonard has even said he was shocked Rivers retired) to go back to the same situation a year later.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Correction.   YOU don’t know if Eason can start.   WE don’t know if Eason can start.   But Ballard and Reich and Sirianni and Brady all know.   

Publicly saying he doesn’t know if Eason is ready to be the back-up is Ballard’s polite way of saying he’s not ready to be the starter.  

I don’t know why you continue to fight this so hard? 

As I said, I don't think Eason will start, but Trubisky and Brissett are not the answer either.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Sure, but what are you telling Brissett exactly when he was a year removed from starting to take a backseat for an almost 40 year old QB

He was an almost 40-year old future Hall of Famer.   He wasn’t just some guy.

We already told Brissett what we thought if Brissett when we gave him a 2-year contract fir $30 million.   And then we praised him every opportunity we had.   We love JB and he knows it. 

He was an almost 40-year old future Hall of Famer.   He wasn’t just some guy.

We already told Brissett what we thought if Brissett when we gave him a 2-year contract fir $30 million.   And then we praised him every opportunity we had.   We love JB and he knows it. 

We love him, but we want someone else to start? Do you see why I used the relationship analogy? It's like Brissett is in the friend zone.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That is whats confusing me. Why when it seemed like Rivers wanted to return (I have no proof of this, but Leonard has even said he was shocked Rivers retired) to go back to the same situation a year later.

As I said, I don't think Eason will start, but Trubisky and Brissett are not the answer either.

We may not have an answer to the QB question for years. 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

We love him, but we want someone else to start? Do you see why I used the relationship analogy? It's like Brissett is in the friend zone.

We gave him a shot to start.  We upgraded his contract greatly when we didn’t have to.  It didn’t go as well as anyone wanted and we still paid him royally.   We sing his praises to everyone.  If that’s your idea of the Friend Zone I hope someone puts me there like that someday!  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

We gave him a shot to start.  We upgraded his contract greatly when we didn’t have to.  It didn’t go as well as anyone wanted and we still paid him royally.   We sing his praises to everyone.  If that’s your idea of the Friend Zone I hope someone puts me there like that someday!  

That's just sad.

Just now, CR91 said:

That's just sad.

I don’t understand this conversation at all?

We both agree that it’s highly unlikely JB will be the starter in 2021.   We AGREE.   The only thing we don’t agree on is whether it would be good or bad if JB did start in the highly unlikely chance that it does happen. 

And yet, count the number of posts you’ve made to me in order to PROVE that you’re RIGHT and I’m WRONG?!?   And for what?!?  A long shot?  

ThIS is the textbook definition of arguing for the sake of arguing.   Come on now.....

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t understand this conversation at all?

We both agree that it’s highly unlikely JB will be the starter in 2021.   We AGREE.   The only thing we don’t agree on is whether it would be good or bad if JB did start in the highly unlikely chance that it does happen. 

And yet, count the number of posts you’ve made to me in order to PROVE that you’re RIGHT and I’m WRONG?!?   And for what?!?  A long shot?  

ThIS is the textbook definition of arguing for the sake of arguing.   Come on now.....

I'm not arguing. Brissett isn't starting. Let's move on.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Buddy if you took that as an insult, you have very sensitive skin. My point is desperation should not be what makes your decision. That gets people fired.

You attempted to insult me twice now. And no, I spent 24 years in the Military, I assure you I don't have thin skin. You are just talking to me as if you know me.....and you don't.

None of the other folks that disagreed with the sentiment of this topic attempted to throw personal insults in their responses.

Keep it on topic please.

The fact is they are desperate. A team readily built to compete for a title has an unproven 4th Round QB in his second year as their only option currently. They draft 21st overall and only a trade for a Veteran or moving up in the draft can potentially "solve" their problems. 

Problem is, outside of 1 QB in this draft nobody else is likely ready to lead any team to the promised land. So where does that leave the front office?

24 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

You attempted to insult me twice now. And no, I spent 24 years in the Military, I assure you I don't have thin skin. You are just talking to me as if you know me.....and you don't.

None of the other folks that disagreed with the sentiment of this topic attempted to throw personal insults in their responses.

Keep it on topic please.

The fact is they are desperate. A team readily built to compete for a title has an unproven 4th Round QB in his second year as their only option currently. They draft 21st overall and only a trade for a Veteran or moving up in the draft can potentially "solve" their problems. 

Problem is, outside of 1 QB in this draft nobody else is likely ready to lead any team to the promised land. So where does that leave the front office?

First off, thank you for your serve. Second, if you think I'm insulting you I apologize. To the matter at hand, regardless of what teams assume is the state of the colts QB situation, we all know Ballard will not make a move he is not 100 percent convinced makes the team better. Can you honestly tell me Trubisky is the answer?

• Nadine changed the title to Mitch Trubisky as a potential long term answer at QB New Off-Season Outlook - Potentially Unpopular
9 hours ago, CR91 said:

First off, thank you for your serve. Second, if you think I'm insulting you I apologize. To the matter at hand, regardless of what teams assume is the state of the colts QB situation, we all know Ballard will not make a move he is not 100 percent convinced makes the team better. Can you honestly tell me Trubisky is the answer?

I wasn't fishing for a compliment, just adding perspective, but thank you!

Are we desperate - yes.

Will Ballard make a desperate move - based on history, no.

Do I think Trubisky is the man - no.

I keep this in the back of my mind though. With the Bears and Chiefs he was only a part of drafting one starting QB......Rex Grossman. While not a total failure, he helped lead them to one Superbowl. Trubisky is far more talented than Grossman. 

What I'm getting at is drafting Grossman, trading for Brissett and the signing of Rivers for one year is not a great track record for QB's.....Although he's knocked darn near every other roster position out the box in his assesments of talent with drafting and free agents.

In Ballard I trust.....and pray! Ha!

I'd obviously root for him if he was our QB, but I can't see it going all the well. I'd imagine we'd get something similar to what the Bears got out of him - like 6 close wins, mostly won in spite of his mediocre-at-best first 3 quarters. We could pull similar production out of Jacoby easily with less turnovers.

On 2/15/2021 at 2:01 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't think the names Mahomes and/or Roger's should ever be mentioned in the same sentence as the name Mitch Trubisky......:funny:

Living near Chicago, I’ve seen Trubisky play a lot. The people who wouldn’t mind the Colts signing him most certainly haven’t seen him play much. If he was all that the bears wouldn’t have brought in Nick Foles. If he was all that the bears wouldn’t be looking for a quarterback now. The bears have a very limited offense due to a very limited Trubisky being able to hit a player outside the numbers. Good luck for anyone taking this guy.

Yikes. Trubisky would be fine as a cheap backup I guess...who you could plug in an emergency and build a good game plan for. But as a starter...no thanks.

That would mark the 3rd year in a row that the Colts have a QB who can’t really throw downfield. JB wouldn’t (and was inaccurate), Rivers couldn’t (at least not consistently) and Tribuski shouldn’t and couldn’t (he had the lowest EPA for deep passes in the NFL in 2019...though he did improve somewhat last season...playing DET, JAC and HOU will do that).

I doubt the Colts have much interest here anyways.

I'm not saying I know the answer to our QB situation, but I am saying Trubisky is not the answer. I'd probably rather go with an unknown (Eason) over a known bust.

He has had a chance to perform in the NFL and he hasn't done a good job of it. I'd be shocked if Ballard even considered him as an option. Let's have higher standards please.

9 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Living near Chicago, I’ve seen Trubisky play a lot. The people who wouldn’t mind the Colts signing him most certainly haven’t seen him play much. 

People don't admit to this type of thing, but it's the only thing that makes sense. He's really bad, like get people fired, bad.

11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

People don't admit to this type of thing, but it's the only thing that makes sense. He's really bad, like get people fired, bad.

Many feel like Reich and his offense can help Trubisky grow. Better line and run game for him as well. With the shorter throws he isn’t bad. 

Archived