Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential Wentz Trade Thread (Merge)

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

If you trade for wentz but Eason looks  better  than him in practice  they will start  wentz due to his expensive  contract. That's why I  hate the idea of trading  for him

Eason would probably look better than a lot of qbs in practice. He has the wow arm. Now game time. That's to b determined

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

its not a bad thing if Colts to be outbid. Rumors are Bears are offering a lot and you know Ballard doesn't like bidding wars.

It would be a great thing for SOME COLT FANS if their outbid for Wentz. They are USED TO LOSING  and maybe Brissett/Eason is what some fans  want. Being losers is what some fans feel comfortable with. No pressure in January and look forward to drafting a lineman in April. Lol

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It would be a great thing for SOME COLT FANS if their outbid for Wentz. They are USED TO LOSING  and maybe Brissett/Eason is what some fans  want. Being losers is what some fans feel comfortable with. No pressure in January and look forward to drafting a lineman in April. Lol

You act like its Wentz or nothing 

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I do think that Wentz may have a little power here. He can say I am not going to the Bears and I wont report to camp. Them Eagles take Colts offer lol

Just now, danlhart87 said:

You act like its Wentz or nothing 

Well we know what he's done and capable of. We're not getting Watson. We lost out on Stafford.  Its unlikely we can trade up for Wilson or Fields. Lance is probably unattainable too. And their all rookies, unlikely we can win now with them. Trask and Jones are rated less than the top group. I don't want dalton or carr and doubt irsay does too. Irsay, imo, is heavily involved in us acquiring a QB to WIN NOW. That's leaves Ryan, who physically I heard is a bit like rivers OR WENTZ. Wentz is the logical choice If this organization can be relevant in next half decade.

You Dan,  who I like as a poster and start many threads which is a good thing, seem overly concerned about draft capital and contract dollars.  Your not the only one either lol. I'm  more concerned about roster at key positions like QB which is a must. WR superstar would be nice too and a vertical playmaking TE. Just like irsay said last week, he gets it. He gets how the best teams play in this modern era we're  in. 

We all may have different opinions on some stuff but that's okay...that's what this Forum is about.

So I hope we get a elite type QB and I think Wentz is more likely than the top draft prospects. 

You and some others prefer we don't get Wentz. 

We should see soon what happens. 

Can't wait for 1st week of season and you post predictions for upcoming weeks scores..... but first I need to hear what Dakich,  Venturi, and JMV say. :funny:

39 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The Colts are the second winningest franchise of the last 20 years and you think fans are used to losing?!?

Oh, Dear God.....    :facepalm:

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'm not sure what everyone thinks, but its clear that there are different favorites from the folks on the board

Because they want a different QB to start doesnt mean that they are a loser... a bit harsh.... dont you think?

The QBs in our trade or draft "range" all have some concerns

Stafford was my first choice..... 

But... not to be

To be honest, if we dont get fleeced in the trade, I'm happy with ANY of the Carr, Ryan, Wentz, or Winston trade or FA selections,  (IF they are availble) ALL of these 4 COULD win in Indy

The cap hits need to be take into consideration

I am not sure about how realistic it would be to get one of the top 4 QBs.  in the draft.... we Are WAY back.....

Maybe Trask in 2nd?  But that would mean that we would need a VET as well

Still a LONG time to go, and I think CB will ALWAYS walk away from a poor deal

We will see

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts are the second winningest franchise of the last 20 years and you think fans are used to losing?!?

Oh, Dear God.....    :facepalm:

Yes because of manning & Polian. They won more games in a decade than any other team ever. 

But before that there were many lean, frustrating, embarrassing years between Bert Jones, in Baltimore and manning. Even with Bert Jones and Peyton,  we've only won 1 Super Bowl in 49 years!!!

Even since after lucks first 3 seasons, Deflategate,  we've only had 2 winning seasons, 0 division titles and only 1 playoff win. 

Not too relevant,  better than some others, BUT NOT where we want to be. 

Those 20 or so years before Peyton, except for a season here & there were rough to say the least. 

And if Ballard fails to acquire a elite/franchise player at the most important and difficult position in sports to acquire said player we're behind many teams in afc that have franchise QBs. 

That's why I'm all in on one of the probably unattainable Rookies ( wilson, fields etc..) OR taking a chance on Wentz, who is more obtainable and likely to happen.

5 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I was just listening to Ballard on 1070 The Fan.  Dakich asked him what he was looking for in a QB.  He said that he liked to see how a QB handles the hard times.  Basically how they bounce back from their struggles.  Basically do they keep grinding.  Could all be a smokescreen but it sure didn't sound like a ringing endorsement of a guy like Wentz who is running from adversity in Philly.  Sounded like an apt description of guys like Fields and Wilson. 

Fields struggled in the IU game but never let go of the rope and pulled out the victory.  Then after injuring his throwing hand in the Big 10 Championship game he comes back and drops 6 TD's on number 2 ranked Clemson and Trevor Lawrence.  Wilson after having an injury plagued horrendous season last year bounced back this year and had an amazing year.

You keep pounding this drum.  Now saying that a QB who wants a change of teams is running away from adversity.  

I guess this means Ballard won't be drafting Fields either.  After all, Fields ran away from adversity at UGA because he couldn't beat out Fromm.  And explains why Ballard hasn't given Eason a ringing endorsement, because Ballard still thinks he's a wimp for transferring after also not being able to beat out Fromm.

And didn't offer more picks for Stafford, who was running away from DET, and won't give picks for Watson, who is trying to do the same from HOU.

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yes because of manning & Polian. They won more games in a decade than any other team ever. 

But before that there were many lean, frustrating, embarrassing years between Bert Jones, in Baltimore and manning. Even with Bert Jones and Peyton,  we've only won 1 Super Bowl in 49 years!!!

Even since after lucks first 3 seasons, Deflategate,  we've only had 2 winning seasons, 0 division titles and only 1 playoff win. 

Not too relevant,  better than some others, BUT NOT where we want to be. 

Those 20 or so years before Peyton, except for a season here & there were rough to say the least. 

And if Ballard fails to acquire a elite/franchise player at the most important and difficult position in sports to acquire said player we're behind many teams in afc that have franchise QBs. 

That's why I'm all in on one of the probably unattainable Rookies ( wilson, fields etc..) OR taking a chance on Wentz, who is more obtainable and likely to happen.

I think this is a good answer.  I don’t happen to agree with it, but I thought it was well thought out and reasonably presented.   That’s all I ever ask.  

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

You keep pounding this drum.  Now saying that a QB who wants a change of teams is running away from adversity.  

I guess this means Ballard won't be drafting Fields either.  After all, Fields ran away from adversity at UGA because he couldn't beat out Fromm.  And explains why Ballard hasn't given Eason a ringing endorsement, because Ballard still thinks he's a wimp for transferring after also not being able to beat out Fromm.

And didn't offer more picks for Stafford, who was running away from DET, and won't give picks for Watson, who is trying to do the same from HOU.

A QB that wants a change from a team that has done nothing but show their commitment to him as a QB is running from adversity in my eyes.  I’m talking about on field adversity with Wentz.  Interesting point about Fromm though.  Not shocked that neither could “beat out” a homegrown Georgia boy like Fromm who got them to the championship game. 

I don’t think either ever had a fair shot at the job afterwards.  Fromm played quite well in his Georgia career.   But Fields went on to prove that he was a better QB than Fromm.  Why waste his years sitting behind a guy he’s better than?  Fields knew he was just as good as Lawrence. He just wanted a fair shot to prove it.  The key word there is a “fair” shot.  

Are you saying Wentz hasn’t been given a fair shot at being the Eagles QB?  They left him in last season as he regressed when a turn to Hurts may have helped them win the division.  Management & ownership stuck by him.  Now here they are with the #6 pick and a great opportunity to draft a top lineman or receiver like Chase or Smith to give him more weapons and he wants out?  The near former MVP Wentz can’t beat out Hurts in a fair QB competition?  That should be easy work for him.

If you want to say the ghosts of Nick Foles taking his team and winning a championship is too much for him to overcome in a city like Philly with a rabid fan base then fine.  Maybe no one could overcome that situation.  But that’s still something that anybody acquiring him needs to do a deep dive into.  Did the Eagles management lie to and deceive him like the Texans did Watson?  If so he should say so and definitely want out of there.  

Regardless, I don’t see his situation the same as Fields or Eason.  He’s been given every opportunity to be the Eagles starting QB.  And I believe the reason we didn’t give up more picks for Stafford was because we didn’t believe he was worth more picks.  Stafford also gave the Lions a decade plus of QB play and never once demanded a trade and had his team leak to the media that he wanted out.

26 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

A QB that wants a change from a team that has done nothing but show their commitment to him as a QB is running from adversity in my eyes.

How is drafting a QB in the second round after the starter had a 93 QBR "show commitment" to the starter? 

Showing commitment to the starter would have them drafting a LT or WR, just like all teams do when they have their starter under contract for the next 4 years.

I've brought that up several times and you seem to skip it.  

Why did Rosenbaum draft Hurts in the second round after signing Wentz to a contract and watch him play a 93 QBR season?

29 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Are you saying Wentz hasn’t been given a fair shot at being the Eagles QB?  They left him in last season as he regressed when a turn to Hurts may have helped them win the division

No.  I'm saying they bailed on their commitment to Wentz for some reason when they saw Hurts was available in the second round.

Then Wentz had a bad season after the FO bailed on their commitment to him.

33 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

If you want to say the ghosts of Nick Foles taking his team and winning a championship is too much for him to overcome in a city like Philly with a rabid fan base then fine.

No, I want to say that Rosenbaum failed to show commitment to Wentz after a 93 QBR season, the season AFTER the SB, by drafting Hurts in the second round. Wentz had a 93 QBR season after the SB year, so the Foles situation did not impact him.  It was the FO failure to show commitment to him after he had that season.

32 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

He’s been given every opportunity to be the Eagles starting QB.

He was the starting QB.  But was not given the same commitment as every other starting QB with his QBR history at the time, when Rosenbaum decided to draft Hurts in the second round.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

How is drafting a QB in the second round after the starter had a 93 QBR "show commitment" to the starter? 

Showing commitment to the starter would have them drafting a LT or WR, just like all teams do when they have their starter under contract for the next 4 years.

I've brought that up several times and you seem to skip it.  

Why did Rosenbaum draft Hurts in the second round after signing Wentz to a contract and watch him play a 93 QBR season?

Because once is an accident? Twice is a coincidence? Three times is a trend?  Wentz has a history of getting injured late in seasons (has happened twice).  Hurts may have just been insurance in case it happened again. They wouldn’t be doing their jobs if they didn’t have a viable backup on the team that could come in and win playoff games. 

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

I agree somewhat. Wentz carried the Eagles on his back in 2019 with 3rd string receivers and injuries on the Oline. Dan Orlovsky, who I respect, stated that his 2019 season was record setting based on his  circumstances. What do the Eagles do? They draft a qb and bench him basically blaming him for the 2020 season. Kind if like being in a marriage where u work 12 hours a day. You come home to a dirty house and no supper in the table. Then U have a bad year and lose your job. Your spouse decides to have a little fling because they don't feel loved and blame u for everything. I would want out to lol.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The Bears offer of pick 20, their 3rd, and Foles sounds like the best deal for Philly.  

And its too much for Wentz and his contract, IMO.

Rumor is colts offered two second round picks. Contract wise, eagles still have to pay him 33 mil. Colts cap hit is 25 mil this year and 22 mil the following year so not too bad.

Please Colts pass on Wentz. He has never proved his worth he has been injured he throws a lot of interceptions and makes bad decisions. PLEASE PLEASE don't deal for him. He is NO Rivers. He is not a good fit for the Colts. He is no Matt Stafford who is very good and would have fit with the Colts ( the price for him was way too steep to). Only QBs that could take us to the next tier are Watson and Rogers and their teams would be crazy to let them go. Getting Luck to come out of retirement until a replacement can be drafted or signed would be the best for a  wish list.. PASS on him!!! 

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

Sources on the Eagles side say they are looking for a “Matthew Stafford package”. Doubt they will give up picks for him. Also doubt anyone will give anything close to what the Rams gave. 

I saw that too. I think that the Eagles end up getting draft compensation valued around a 2nd rounder. Possibly a 2nd and day 3 pick.

18 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

A QB that wants a change from a team that has done nothing but show their commitment to him as a QB is running from adversity in my eyes.  I’m talking about on field adversity with Wentz.  Interesting point about Fromm though.  Not shocked that neither could “beat out” a homegrown Georgia boy like Fromm who got them to the championship game. 

I don’t think either ever had a fair shot at the job afterwards.  Fromm played quite well in his Georgia career.   But Fields went on to prove that he was a better QB than Fromm.  Why waste his years sitting behind a guy he’s better than?  Fields knew he was just as good as Lawrence. He just wanted a fair shot to prove it.  The key word there is a “fair” shot.  

Are you saying Wentz hasn’t been given a fair shot at being the Eagles QB?  They left him in last season as he regressed when a turn to Hurts may have helped them win the division.  Management & ownership stuck by him.  Now here they are with the #6 pick and a great opportunity to draft a top lineman or receiver like Chase or Smith to give him more weapons and he wants out?  The near former MVP Wentz can’t beat out Hurts in a fair QB competition?  That should be easy work for him.

If you want to say the ghosts of Nick Foles taking his team and winning a championship is too much for him to overcome in a city like Philly with a rabid fan base then fine.  Maybe no one could overcome that situation.  But that’s still something that anybody acquiring him needs to do a deep dive into.  Did the Eagles management lie to and deceive him like the Texans did Watson?  If so he should say so and definitely want out of there.  

Regardless, I don’t see his situation the same as Fields or Eason.  He’s been given every opportunity to be the Eagles starting QB.  And I believe the reason we didn’t give up more picks for Stafford was because we didn’t believe he was worth more picks.  Stafford also gave the Lions a decade plus of QB play and never once demanded a trade and had his team leak to the media that he wanted out.

Wentz does look like he's running away from Philly..... But is he running from Adversity or is running  from Indigestion from all those spicy cheese steak sandwiches that's eaten outside standing up, often in cold weather?? haha

On 2/2/2021 at 11:31 AM, Superman said:

I'd do this. But the Eagles and Wentz would have to renegotiate the due date of his roster bonus for the Eagles to have cap relief in 2021. This would also be necessary for him to be traded prior to June. HIs cap hits would be $25.4m in 2021, and $22m in 2022, and both years are effectively guaranteed as of March 2021.

Even if it's a 2021 second + a condition 2022 third (based on Wentz's performance, could be a 2022 fourth), I'd do it. I think Wentz is very reclaimable, especially if we can pass protect.

Apparently the Bears and Colts only 2 serious teams. I believe the Bears would have the upper hand. Nagy and Bears GM, forgot his name, have one year and they r gone. No big deal for them to mortgage the future if it means possibly saving their jobs . I juat think they will offer to much for the Colts to counter.

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Apparently the Bears and Colts only 2 serious teams. I believe the Bears would have the upper hand. Nagy and Bears GM, forgot his name, have one year and they r gone. No big deal for them to mortgage the future if it means possibly saving their jobs . I juat think they will offer to much for the Colts to counter.

I sure hope they do.

I agree with LJ on the "decades in the desert" and needing to reach to find the QB to lead us into the playoffs and beyond. Go back in time. There were the horrible disappointments of Elway, Schlicter and jeff george, spread out with guys like JackTrudeau, gary Hogeboom, mark Pagel, paul JUSTIN for God's sake ---- and a whole lot of losing.

Having said that, I think if there"s actually bidding going on for Wentz, we're probably out. Ballard has said time and again you have to put "a value" on a player.

He's already shown he's willing to part with a relatively high number one pick, but that was for a 26-year-old All Pro. 

I just don't want to go back to the desert. Been there. It's really dry.

• Shive changed the title to Potential Wentz Trade Thread (Merge)

Archived