Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay: Colts are most complete team in NFL

danlhart87

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, danlhart87 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/jim-irsay-colts-are-most-complete-team-in-the-league

I think every team in NFL including Chiefs and even ours has weaknesses 

What are your thoughts on Irsays comments?

Dang you.. beat me to it by a minute.

i think this is the most complete “Colts” team since arguably 2009. I think we’re to the point that if we bring our A game, we can go toe to toe with any team out there. The problem is, I don’t think we’ve seen a game yet where from start to finish, we’ve brought our A game in all phases, coaching, offense, defense, special teams, lucky turnovers etc. is usually come down to one unit or the other saving us. 

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/jim-irsay-colts-are-most-complete-team-in-the-league

I think every team in NFL including Chiefs and even ours has weaknesses 

What are your thoughts on Irsays comments?

Hopefully the Steelers  don't  take offense  lol

2 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Aren't we pretty average in all phases. Not great anything, and not poor? 

We are a solid football team 

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

Special teams. Running the ball. Oline. Creating turnovers. Not having to blitz for QB pressure and sacks. 

Should I continue?

Creating turn overs is definitely great. 

But we are great at all of those other things? 

I'm simply posing the question, btw; not concluding that we are definitely average. I don't really know. 

I know his heart is in the right place but I wish Irsay wouldn’t make comments like this.   Not this year, not any year. 

I just don’t see much upside and I see way too much downside.   He’s pretty much put a bullseye on his team.    He’s pretty much said that all the media power rankings be damned.  That in his mind, his team is number one, the best team in the NFL.

That maybe fun for fans to read, but the franchise sure doesn’t need that kind unwanted attention.  Lots of bulletin board material for opposing teams.   Sorry he did this. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I know his heart is in the right place but I wish Irsay wouldn’t make comments like this.   Not this year, not any year. 

I just don’t see much upside and I see way too much downside.   He’s pretty much put a bullseye on his team.    He’s pretty much said that all the media power rankings be damned.  That in his mind, his team is number one, the best team in the NFL.

That maybe fun for fans to read, but the franchise sure doesn’t need that kind unwanted attention.  Lots of bulletin board material for opposing teams.   Sorry he did this. 

My thoughts as well. 

25 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Are we not? What are the Colts great at? 

Are there only three categories?   Great, average, bad?

Isn't there room for very good, good, above average....   can’t we be any of those?   

Not sure we’re great in anything.  But I don’t see much average, either.   I see lots of the other choices for the Colts. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Are there only three categories?   Great, average, bad?

Isn't there room for very good, good, above average....   can’t we be any of those?   

Nit sure were great in anything.  But I don’t see much average, either.   I see lots of the other choices for the Colts. 

Right.

Well, there are multiple phases and sub-teams of the ultimate team, and I think the sum of the teams parts equals "good", but I don't think we pass or stop the pass good enough to be a serious contender, which, I guess Irsay feels we are; otherwise, he would not be so full of confidence and claim that the Colts are the best team in the league.

I guess, I think they are an average-good team, if that makes sense. Because their record, and many stats are definitely above league average for 2020. But, ultimately there is nothing truly great in the context of history or the 2020 league that would make one as confident as Irsay is about the Colts chances this post season. 

We’re solid in all three phases of the game.... so I get what he is saying.

The key of course is creating those 4-5 key plays that usually turn the game.... which we have been very good at this season.... even if it’s caused a few grey hairs waiting for them.

But let’s remember there were times even in the Manning era when the defense was a liability against physical offenses and our special teams stunk pretty bad as well.

The net result of a great offense and spotty defense and special teams?

1 Super Bowl

7 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I think Irsay might think we still have Luck. If we still, indeed, had Luck, I bet we would be this good. 

Rivers has played well this year. He might not be elite but he's done great things for us 

At this point last year Rivers had 21 td 18 int

This year he's already beat that td mark and split his Interceptions in half

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I honestly think Jim Irsay is viewed as a goofy bag of damaged goods around the rest of the country. His past struggles with addiction are well known and diminish his reputation. Personally, I think Jim has turned himself around and is a darn good owner. But, fair or not, I doubt anyone takes his viewpoint that his team is the most complete in the NFL very seriously. Meaning: I don’t think it will have any negative impact on the team’s games going forward. 

4 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I honestly think Jim Irsay is viewed as a goofy bag of damaged goods around the rest of the country. His past struggles with addiction are well known and diminish his reputation. Personally, I think Jim has turned himself around and is a darn good owner. But, fair or not, I doubt anyone takes his viewpoint that his team is the most complete in the NFL very seriously. Meaning: I don’t think it will have any negative impact on the team’s games going forward. 

I'm glad he has confidence in the team. Sometimes he says wild things like this but honestly like you said it shouldn't effect Colts. 

34 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I highly doubt anything Jim said will effect the game. 

He didn't dis on the Steelers so it's not what you call bulletin board material. 

No, he didn’t dis the Steelers.   All he did was did the other 31 teams in the NFL.   And the Steelers are one of them.  And they just happen to be the team we play next.

If you don’t think this is bulletin board material, I don’t know what to tell you.  I’ve seen much less turned into much more by teams and players. 

6 minutes ago, IinD said:

I just wanna beat these #ers and get into the playoffs.

Nothing like the excitement of playoff games as a fan. 

We got this. This is the best Rivers has played in a long time, TY is healthy, JT is steam rolling people, and our D has been coming up with big stops. I want to shout out to Pascal, he is easily playing like a #3 WR at worse.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We got this. This is the best Rivers has played in a long time, TY is healthy, JT is steam rolling people, and our D has been coming up with big stops. I want to shout out to Pascal, he is easily playing like a #3 WR at worse.

I think a lot of people are looking at Rivers from a full year stand point, but to me, I feel he found his stride in the Cincy game.  I think Covid held back offense from meshing early on.  I feel if Rivers had a full training camp we’d be seeing 30+ TD and about 5-7 INT by year end.  

2 minutes ago, SpanosSucks said:

I think a lot of people are looking at Rivers from a full year stand point, but to me, I feel he found his stride in the Cincy game.  I think Covid held back offense from meshing early on.  I feel if Rivers had a full training camp we’d be seeing 30+ TD and about 5-7 INT by year end.  

It took Rivers and TY a while to get on the same page, now that has happened our offense is really dangerous at times. Rivers seems to have nice chemistry with Pascal as well.

1 minute ago, SpanosSucks said:

He's been playing good enough from the Cincy game on that it's obvious that that's how he would actually be playing all year. Big enough sample size IMO. Steelers will be tough, but I find it hard to believe he will just fall apart even though it will be a tough game. He'll get his 200-250 yds and probably 2 tds with maybe an INT, but we'll run the ball well.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It took Rivers and TY a while to get on the same page, now that has happened our offense is really dangerous at times. Rivers seems to have nice chemistry with Pascal as well.

Pascal is less utilized because of Pittman and because Rivers spreads the ball around, but he's a high end #3 receiver IMO. Rather have him than not at this point in the season.

Archived