Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans Post Game thoughts

SR711

A win is a win when its all said and done, but my immediate reaction is more relief and feeling very fortunate than anything else.   Here are my thoughts. 

1.  Reich had a very bad day today with game management and decision making.  The decision to go for it on 4th down was a thoughtless call and has been discussed extensively.  He also did a poor job with clock management at the end of the 1st half and, in my opinion, gifted the Texans an extra possession with which they nearly tied the game up before halftime.  The way I see it, Reich makes these decisions, clock manages like he has the 2004 Colts offense on the field where they can move the ball at will and therefore take these chances because they will get the points back later when in reality he has limitations especially on with personnel offensively.  He needs to become more cognizant of that and adjust his mentality instead of blindly sticking to it regardless of what he has on the field.  Otherwise, these types of things are going to start costing us games. 

2.  I still cannot make out the discrepancy between the defensive play in the 1st and 2nd halves this year.  Starting to believe Eberflus holds on to his adjustments till halftime so that the opposition cant counter or has less opportunity to do so.  I really have no other rationale explanation for this.  

3.  Justin Houston had a great bounce back game today and DeForest Buckner has shown in the last two weeks both with his absence and presence, why he should merit some DPOY consideration. 

4.  Going forward, the o-line situation especially at LT needs to be resolved with AC coming back,  Rivers got way too much pressure and ate sacks especially in the 2nd half.  With what we have at our skill positions, this is not the kind of offense that can overcome negative plays so easily.  They need to be on schedule with down and distance to generate the chunk plays because those have to be generated by scheme and favorable matchups rather than relying on physically talent.  

Just now, Lancer1 said:

My post-game thought: we're damned lucky! If not for that botched snap, Houston probably scores and we have about a minute with no timeouts to try to get into field goal range.

I agree but things even out because this definitely makes up for the Jags game where we dominated stat wise but lost. Good teams find a way to win, we aren't great but we are good. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree but things even out because this definitely makes up for the Jags game where we dominated stat wise but lost. Good teams find a way to win, we aren't great but we are good. 

We could be great, but coaching seems to be holing us back a little.

To your first point, I don't have a problem that we went for it one 4th down, but the play we ran was terrible. Stop having Hines carry it up the gut, especially in short yardage situations. But what I had more of a problem with was the next drive. The defense did their job. I didn't mind the 4th down because it pins the Texans and deep and we even got a safety and the ball back with more time to run down the clock. But then we ruined that drive by forcing the run. We should have tried for another first down and a chance to run out more clock. We already going to give Watson more than enough time if we didn't get a first down. But yet we chose to run it anyways and it was proven time wasn't a factor. Heck, if they scored we might have had time ourselves... In the end we won and I'm happy. In the record predictions thread a week ago I had this as a upset loss. Texans aren't that bad, much better than they were earlier in the year, but we showed great things early and our defense was better in the second half. I just wish we could have kept some of the momentum from the first and consider continuing throwing late in the game, even if it were dink and dunk passes. 

FG was the safe cal on 4th and 1 situation. Would have put us up 7. I understand the logic to go for it and try and put game on ice. I would not send Hines up the gut. If you are going to run in that situation you use Taylor or Wilkins to get the 1 yard. My bigger concern is the number of penalties that we get. We could have iced the game with Nines return after safety but clipping call took field position away. The holds and offsides call are killers. This team has to be more disciplined and learn to play error free football. We lucked out on Watson fumble. they were well positioned to get a TD and we did not have much time left to move ball downfield for game winning FG. 

I know people are losing patience in this team...I was listening to an NFL scout on this team, and he had a lot of positive to say about this team even the 2020 version. Saying the foundation is still being laid, schemes take time to really get laid, and he used the Patriots as an example and their scheme how it never changes and the benefits of that, being able to plug guys in without much drop off. 

It made me think things aren't that bad here. Sure. It would be nice to have that elite team, but the future is still bright. He talked about Ballard is still building and he sees this team truly competing in 2021/2022

He didn't mention Eason one time. But talked about how the 2021 draft is a great draft for QBs, which would explain the Rivers 1 year deal. 

If youre interested, it was one of Colts Brawls better podcasts, along with their latest podcast so it should be easy to find. 

I use iheart radio to listen to their podcast along with the For the Colture podcast. 

But he acted like this team is really on the right track and to have a.little patience. 

He also talked about what this defense needs to take it to the next level.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Man that Jags game may b the game that cost a play off berth. Inexcusable.

Taylor should start and be our bell cow RB and therefore get most of the carries. The man can catch as well.  I don't buy Reich's argument that they are interchangeable and it doesn't matter who is in.  Playing the hot RB doesn't work either because they don't.  Maybe Rathman needs to go.  Taylor clearly needs to be the work horse.  

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

I know people are losing patience in this team...I was listening to an NFL scout on this team, and he had a lot of positive to say about this team even the 2020 version. Saying the foundation is still being laid, schemes take time to really get laid, and he used the Patriots as an example and their scheme how it never changes and the benefits of that, being able to plug guys in without much drop off. 

It made me think things aren't that bad here. Sure. It would be nice to have that elite team, but the future is still bright. He talked about Ballard is still building and he sees this team truly competing in 2021/2022

He didn't mention Eason one time. But talked about how the 2021 draft is a great draft for QBs, which would explain the Rivers 1 year deal. 

If youre interested, it was one of Colts Brawls better podcasts, along with their latest podcast so it should be easy to find. 

I use iheart radio to listen to their podcast along with the For the Colture podcast. 

But he acted like this team is really on the right track and to have a.little patience. 

He also talked about what this defense needs to take it to the next level.

Thanks for sharing. Will have to give the podcast a listen.

I definitely think the Colts are on the right track. It will take longer than most of us would like but when your franchise QB abruptly retires that sets a team back in the rebuilding process. The Colts have gotten better over the last few years and have shown that they can draft and develop players.

Building this team the way Ballard has talked about is the right way, imo. Having some patience is well worth it though. Heck. going back to when Peyton Manning arrived the Colts were a .500 team is first four years and didn't win a playoff game until his sixth. 

15 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

T.Y. has life, Taylor getting better weekly, Buckner is back....Im' ecstatic...just hope Pintor comes in at LT with Castonzo out and now Clarke out.....Green was ummm...not good to say the least

Green was injured barley practiced last week . He is better then Clark . Not a fair judgement when healthy he played amazing against the packers 

10 hours ago, ar7 said:

Thanks for sharing. Will have to give the podcast a listen.

I definitely think the Colts are on the right track. It will take longer than most of us would like but when your franchise QB abruptly retires that sets a team back in the rebuilding process. The Colts have gotten better over the last few years and have shown that they can draft and develop players.

Building this team the way Ballard has talked about is the right way, imo. Having some patience is well worth it though. Heck. going back to when Peyton Manning arrived the Colts were a .500 team is first four years and didn't win a playoff game until his sixth. 

No problem! 

Yeah they talked a bit about Lucks retirement too like you mentioned. If Andrew stays our fans are singing a different tune altogether. 

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Taylor should start and be our bell cow RB and therefore get most of the carries. The man can catch as well.  I don't buy Reich's argument that they are interchangeable and it doesn't matter who is in.  Playing the hot RB doesn't work either because they don't.  Maybe Rathman needs to go.  Taylor clearly needs to be the work horse.  

Saving his legs for the playoff run?   LOLOL

14 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

When the dust settles, THE question of the week will be:  Can Castonzo play next week or not?

How is the Raiders defensive pass run rate compared to the Texans or the Titans? I’m not even sure what personnel LV has tbh. Having AC will be nice but having him at 75% or less isn’t going to help too much at this point imho. Need to get him near that 85-90% healthy if doing something in the playoffs is what you are looking for. Just making the PO and getting beat down isn’t appealing to most fans, I’d rather take a better draft position if we can’t compete in the PO spot. 

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Man that Jags game may b the game that cost a play off berth. Inexcusable.

That will fall at the feet of our HC in having a team preparing for a 1-2 win team in the nfl. Jim Caldwell would have had this team more prepared than what FR seemed to have. I’m of the belief that Reichs feet have to be warm if this team does not make it to the playoffs this year. If not, accountability isn’t on the teams list of priorities then. 

11 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

How many think we would have driven down for a field goal had the fumble not happened and Houston scored.  Depending on the time left I think there’s a good chance we win anyway. 

Depends, does the Texans get it in on that play or burn more clock for the next play? Just imagine winning the game on a RS 60 yard field goal after doinking the post on a 50 yarder. 

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would have been fine with easing JT into the game with reps through the first 1/4 of the season and maybe into the first 1/3 but at this stage of the season, he should be getting 25 touches or better a game imho (pass and run). I’d really absolutely love to see a formation with both JT and Hines in the backfield together split wide of either side of PR. Motion one or both to see who moves with them and give PR the ability to choose which guy to go to and is it pass or hand off. It just feels like FR ties the hands of his vet QB too much with his desired play call. Idk. But yeah, JT need to be fed the ball lots more than he has to date. 50-75% more imho. 

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I thought our pass rush was very good. If it has been another QB we would of had a bunch more sacks. Rivers had a really good game. Bur Reich really ruined the excitement of this win.

Read the Knee Jerk Reaction article by Brett Mock on Stampede Blue.  He summed up everything I felt after the game. 

I've never been so frustrated after a win.

Archived