Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nose Tackle Option

coltnorth

The longer the team goes without adding a Nose Tackle (the centrepiece of the 3-4), the more I wonder if the staff feels there is somebody on this roster who can rotate in. Maybe they see something in Nevis, Miola, or Johnson. Maybe Nevis could be a penetrating one gap style guy who would play nose on 3rd and long. Who knows. Weird it has been left so long though. I just don't believe they will draft one rookie and say we are set at NT.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I hear ya. Moala and Mookie would suck at NT. Nevis I could see just as a Jay Ratliff type Nose, but he isn't a clogger.

Maybe they'll sign Rogers, Garay, Franklin, or someone else. It takes a long time to develop a Nose tackle from the draft, so they can't put all their eggs in that basket.

I have been wondering myself what the plan was here. Maybe it is the price. I would like to sign a NT from FA but also draft one. i hear a lot of people speculate maybe it will be Nevis. In the 1st few rounds obviously 1st round Luck then who? TE if a good one is there,. Then we need a NT and a CB, hmmmm I wonder what the plan is?

I really like Ta'Amu if he's there in the 3rd round, although I kinda doubt he'd fall that far. I've seen him projected as the best NT option, and a 1st round grade, then I've seen him as a 3rd round option.

I just worry about putting all our faith in him as our one true NT, because they take notoriously long to develop to the pro game. If we could sign Garay to a 2 or 3 year deal, and let Ta'Amu learn the ropes, I think we'd be alright.

Albert Haynesworth! Big strong body who commands a double team, he'd be motivated knowing he'd be part of the rebuilding process here. His contract isn't bad either!

I don't think Albert wants to play NT anymore. I'm pretty sure he prefers a 4-3.

Albert Haynesworth! Big strong body who commands a double team, he'd be motivated knowing he'd be part of the rebuilding process here. His contract isn't bad either!

I say a big No to Haynesworth. From what I know of him he is a big crybaby. Wasn't he released by the Patriots or something like that? I don't even know where he is anymore.

I say a big No to Haynesworth. From what I know of him he is a big crybaby. Wasn't he released by the Patriots or something like that? I don't even know where he is anymore.

Absolutely Not! If Mike Shanahan & Bill Belichick gave up on him on their teams, Haynesworth is lazy, lethargic, & S-L-O-W. He got his big pay day, he refused to work hard anymore, & he serves as a prime example of a pathetic work ethic.

Even as a NT, Haynesworth would fall flat on his face & you would need a forklift to get him back up again for each down. Not exactly at the peak level of physical fitness on the football field either.

There is a reason Haynesworth retired. The remaining 30 NFL teams saw his enormous lack of discipline & effort Monday through Sunday.

Haynesworth is done. We should draft alameda ta amu. Coaches will straighten him out as far as his weight goes. Fili moala,drake Nevis, and Antonio Johnson shouldn't be serious considerations as 3-4 nose tackles. We need 2 big,strong,and aggressive nose tackles that can penetrate the line to disrupt plays, but also draw double teams so it keeps blockers off our linebackers. We are fools if we believe moala,Nevis,and Johnson are going to be our "special weapons" as nose tackles, they are not big enough or strong enough to be consistent 3-4 nose tackles. Moala and Nevis are better off as 3-4 ends

Absolutely Not! If Mike Shanahan & Bill Belichick gave up on him on their teams, Haynesworth is lazy, lethargic, & S-L-O-W. He got his big pay day, he refused to work hard anymore, & he serves as a prime example of a pathetic work ethic.

Even as a NT, Haynesworth would fall flat on his face & you would need a forklift to get him back up again for each down. Not exactly at the peak level of physical fitness on the football field either.

There is a reason Haynesworth retired. The remaining 30 NFL teams saw his enormous lack of discipline & effort Monday through Sunday.

At this point, the cap concerns are keeping the Colts from doing much. They'd like to bring in the NT I am sure, but they may not have found the guy they are looking for yet.

As far as I am concerned, Rblake has got the right idea. We can't hit everything this year. So, chances are, they'll settle on a guy in later rounds, or maybe even look at someone in the 2nd instead of drafting a receiver for the #1 guy. They'll just have to patch holes next year as they can. I'd assume they're going to have a lot of money to spend in the coming years with the loss of Peyton, Clark, Brackett, and others. Give it a season or two, and I am would hope we're closer to being on the right track by then.

Also, don't rule out the idea that the Colts may move some of their Cover2/4-3 guys in trades through the draft to bring in 3-4 guys. Whether it be trading Nevis to TB for Frank Okam (not a realistic idea here, just throwing out a random name of a big guy) at 6'5 350.

In any case, this year they'll bring in all kinds of filler, and hopefully a few guys stand out. The same next year, and likely some quality free agents next year as well. This transformation will take some time, thats for sure.

Freeney really needs to redo contract and help the team out.Every teams big names have done so to help their teams sign better players.I think if freeney doesnt redo contract we need to drop him . Sign a vet NT and CB and get other needs in draft. Just makes no sense to me to keep him at that cap hit for what he will bring 1 man to the team effort.

Even though he's not huge, I think Josh Chapman from Bama would be a great pick up in the 4th round if he lasts that long.

The kid played most of the season with a bad knee. He may be available in the 4th because teams could be concerned about his injury.

Think this is a position we need to fill in FA. We can't go into the draft without a plugger in the middle. Garray I think could come at a reasonable price but Franklin would demand a higher price. If we have to get a NT in the draft here are some options:

Poe (would have to trade back up into the 1st)

Alameda Ta'amu (late 2nd-early 3rd)

Hebron Fangupo (3rd-4th)

Nicolas Jean-Baptiste (4th-6th)

Josh Chapman (4th-6th)

Ishmaa'ily Kitchen (6th-UDFA)

Chigbo Anunoby (6th-UFDA)

Maybe I'm wrong, but was this a joke? I don't even think he would make a good speedbump. He got his big money and he is done.

Stopped reading there....No.....Do we really need to revisit his stint in Washington to show proof why he would be a horrific option?

As for a sleeper NT option in the draft. Akiem Hicks anyone?

I think as some have mentioned earlier in this thread they might not be trying to fill every hole this first year. After we clear some dead cap space next year we will be in a better position to pursue a couple of FAs and sign our rookies. So this first year might be a little painful to watch at times, but you need to keep your eye on the long term.

You know that was his whole problem in Washington, right? He did not want to play NT in their 3-4 and then it all went down hill after that. Why in the world would he want to come here and be a NT? Also, why in the world would we want him? The guy failed in New England for pete sakes. If BB cannot get him going then the guy is useless.

I have definitely been wondering what we are going to do at NT. I do not really see anybody on our roster that can step in and really hold it down. Most of our DTs outside of Nevis have been lackluster and tend to just get pushed around at the line of scrimmage. If your NT continually gets dominated by one blocker your 3-4 defense is going to fail. We will probably look for a cheaper DT in FA and then look for one in the draft as well.

The longer the team goes without adding a Nose Tackle (the centrepiece of the 3-4), the more I wonder if the staff feels there is somebody on this roster who can rotate in. Maybe they see something in Nevis, Miola, or Johnson. Maybe Nevis could be a penetrating one gap style guy who would play nose on 3rd and long. Who knows. Weird it has been left so long though. I just don't believe they will draft one rookie and say we are set at NT.

Going to be a combination of guys I think. You have to believe they will draft one early though. Actually I heard Irsay on Sirus radio say yesterday they think Mookie Johnson can play nose & that they LIKE there front 7? Yep thats what he said!! :whatever:

Even though he's not huge, I think Josh Chapman from Bama would be a great pick up in the 4th round if he lasts that long.

The kid played most of the season with a bad knee. He may be available in the 4th because teams could be concerned about his injury.

I'd say he's got perfect size for a 3-4 Nose. Not that size is the only thing that matters, but he's reminiscient of Casey Hampton in that department. If he's anywhere close to Hampton in ability that would be an excellent draft pick.

At this point, the cap concerns are keeping the Colts from doing much. They'd like to bring in the NT I am sure, but they may not have found the guy they are looking for yet.

As far as I am concerned, Rblake has got the right idea. We can't hit everything this year. So, chances are, they'll settle on a guy in later rounds, or maybe even look at someone in the 2nd instead of drafting a receiver for the #1 guy. They'll just have to patch holes next year as they can. I'd assume they're going to have a lot of money to spend in the coming years with the loss of Peyton, Clark, Brackett, and others. Give it a season or two, and I am would hope we're closer to being on the right track by then.

Also, don't rule out the idea that the Colts may move some of their Cover2/4-3 guys in trades through the draft to bring in 3-4 guys. Whether it be trading Nevis to TB for Frank Okam (not a realistic idea here, just throwing out a random name of a big guy) at 6'5 350.

In any case, this year they'll bring in all kinds of filler, and hopefully a few guys stand out. The same next year, and likely some quality free agents next year as well. This transformation will take some time, thats for sure.

I was going to say looking at the cap thread it looks like the colts are out of money. So they might very well be working on freeney's contract to free up some more by extending him since grigson has said we will be keeping him. Otherwise they may just try to address needs in the draft see where they are after the draft and then try to free up more money if needed to make more free agency moves after the draft. Right now I am guessing is mainly draft prep time.

Going to be a combination of guys I think. You have to believe they will draft one early though. Actually I heard Irsay on Sirus radio say yesterday they think Mookie Johnson can play nose & that they LIKE there front 7? Yep thats what he said!! :whatever:

Honestly I think Mookie gets a bad wrap from most fans. I don't think he was nearly as bad as a lot of people make him out to be and I think he'd be somewhere in the above average range for a NT in a 3-4. I don't think he'd be an elite playmaker like B.J. Raji by any means but I think he could be a serviceable starter and a quality backup until we get someone better in. I wouldn't be surprised if we go pretty heavy on the Dline in this draft to bring in some young guys to start grooming. If we can get another solid role player in free agency too then that'd be great but it's gonna have to be a guy who would accept a reasonable (not bloated) contract.

Think this is a position we need to fill in FA. We can't go into the draft without a plugger in the middle. Garray I think could come at a reasonable price but Franklin would demand a higher price. If we have to get a NT in the draft here are some options:

Poe (would have to trade back up into the 1st)

Alameda Ta'amu (late 2nd-early 3rd)

Hebron Fangupo (3rd-4th)

Nicolas Jean-Baptiste (4th-6th)

Josh Chapman (4th-6th)

Ishmaa'ily Kitchen (6th-UDFA)

Chigbo Anunoby (6th-UFDA)

Not sure that it means anything but I looked up Ishmaa'ily Kitchen on cbssports.com and found:

03/07/2012 - Cardinal Mooney grad and current Kent State University football player Ishmaa'ily Kitchen showed off his skills in front of five NFL scouts on Wednesday morning. It was all part of Kent State's Pro Day. The Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots, and the Miami Dolphins were all on hand to evaluate Kent State's talent. Kitchen completed six stations, involving the 225 lb bench press, vertical jump, lateral jump, shuttle run, 40-yard dash, and the three cone drill. The 334 pound, 6'3" nose tackle trained for two months preparing for the Pro Day. "We trained six days out of the week, six hours a day," says Kitchen. "So, it's pretty good, it got me in good condition." Playing in the NFL is something Kitchen has always dreamed of, since his days playing little league football for the Youngstown Braves. "I always dreamed about it when I was a little kid, so it's just huge, I always dreamed about it." - WYTV ABC33 News

Granted this doesn't mean much of anything but they were there to see Kitchen's workout. I can see it now, "their defense throws everything they can at the opposing offense...even the KITCHEN SINK!" :D lol

I understand that all holes can't be filled this year but honestly you can't play a 3-4 without a NT. Even a one gap.

We will have a NT. Might not be who we want and they might play the 3-4 defense poorly this year. But can it be much worse than the defenses we've fielded over the past few years? I would rather wait until they can afford to get a stud then try to spend some money we don't have on a another guy who can't quite do the job.

We will have a NT. Might not be who we want and they might play the 3-4 defense poorly this year. But can it be much worse than the defenses we've fielded over the past few years? I would rather wait until they can afford to get a stud then try to spend some money we don't have on a another guy who can't quite do the job.

This is probably the best way of looking at it.

We can spend 3 mill a season now for a guy who can kinda do the job, or we could spend 5 or 7 next year for a guy that is a much better fit, when we have the cap space to work with.

They can't be too concerned with not having all the holes filled after one offseason. It's going to take time. They'll pick up who they can, fill out the roster as best they can, and use what little space they have to plug players in. Not having a NT right now is not that big of an issue, IMO.

I'd say he's got perfect size for a 3-4 Nose. Not that size is the only thing that matters, but he's reminiscient of Casey Hampton in that department. If he's anywhere close to Hampton in ability that would be an excellent draft pick.

And Chapman has the frame to put on more weight, he's not peaked out. I think he's a mid 3 grade, which means it's too early for our 1st 3rd round pick and too late for our 4th.

I like the moves we're making so far, I have to believe they have a plan for NT.

My favorite is to draft this guy. He was great last year.

1. Alameda Ta'amu: Washington (6-3, 337)

This is the kind of guy who has the ability to anchor the middle of an NFL defense in either a 3-4 or 4-3 front. Needs to do a better job finding the football, and playing with a more consistent pad level. But, overall Ta'amu looks like a starter who you eventually will be able to win with in the NFL. I think he can play a similar role to Sione Pouha (Jets) and Paul Soliai (Dolphins) anchoring a 34 front.

Link: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ranking-the-drafts-top-34-nose-tackles.html

My favorite is to draft this guy. He was great last year.

1. Alameda Ta'amu: Washington (6-3, 337)

This is the kind of guy who has the ability to anchor the middle of an NFL defense in either a 3-4 or 4-3 front. Needs to do a better job finding the football, and playing with a more consistent pad level. But, overall Ta'amu looks like a starter who you eventually will be able to win with in the NFL. I think he can play a similar role to Sione Pouha (Jets) and Paul Soliai (Dolphins) anchoring a 34 front.

Link: http://www.nationalf...se-tackles.html

My problem with Ta'Amu is the fact he disappeared at times. Watching the Washington vs Baylor game it is as if he wasn't even playing that's how ineffective he was. Maybe it was a fluke game, but it's not the first game that's happened to him. Maybe he does develop into a player ike Pouha or Soliai, but he can't disappear in games like that if he wants to be a starter.

I cannot buyin on waiting for a NT makes no sense.You must be able to control the o line in a 3-4 how is not having a NT now instead of later even considered.Without the control of the line a 3-4 is useless.You have to have a big NT to take on double teams and he has to be bigger than mookie,can someone with alot more knowledge explain how its possible to run 3-4 without the right linemen.