Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nose Tackle Option

coltnorth

There were reports they went after the guy who resigned with Miami. Just because you have a need doesn't mean you just go out and sign anyone and it doesn't mean just because you want someone they come to you. So just because the Colts haven't made a move doesn't mean they don't think it's a need.

I think there is a very good chance they are going to try to nab one or two in the draft and if they don't make a run at either a guy cut before June 1st cuts or a guy who is still out there in free agency as his price comes down.

Figured they might have went after him, that's who I was wanting bad.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope we get Ta'Amu. He looks like a future stalwart at NT and if we're going to suck as bad as everyone says, we might as well do so with the future at the position locked up.

I actually don't like the idea of Ta'Amu very much. Shoulder and knee issues, motor/effort issues, inconsistent performances, and a history of not being able to control his weight. And many scouts/draft rankings have him a moderate talent. It's his size and lack of NTs in this draft that have him up on some draft boards in my opinion. NFL.com (combine section) even ranks him in the 'might make a roster/might contribute' category. If the Colts use a late pick, great, but nothing early. Washington allowed 4.5 yards per carry, and the handful of games I watched (the Baylor bowl game being the most extreme) Washington was horrid, and Ta'Amu didn't stand out to me. I think a pick like Ta'Amu, especially in the first three or four rounds, is exactly the kind of need pick over talent pick I hope the Colts avoid this year - every year for that matter.

I'd rather risk Chapman off ACL in the third or fourth than taking Ta'Amu in the second. Actually, I'd rather see Chapman period. Here's a kid on the best 3-4 D in the country who played on a torn ACL for most of the year.

well if Poe does in fact go where everyone seems to think he will the first round. then that would only leave Ta'amu and Baptiste for run clogging but I say thats to early for Baptiste so I would go Ta'amu

However my ideal situation if Poe was gone and IF it was a lock that Ta'amu would last into the third round which I think he will then I would go

1 Luck

2 Gilmore

3 Ta'amu IF he lasts to the the third round

I think anyway we look at it colts will have to do some reaching

Gilmore is top 20-25 now, lit up the Combine.

Been watching more tape of Ta'amu and really not that impressed anyway. Would be ticked if we reached for him. I currently have:

Luck

Fleener

Hayward

McNutt

Wolfe

Baptiste (Compensation)

Messina (Compensation)

Gettis

Sensabaugh

Bobby Rainey (Compensation)

Gilmore is top 20-25 now, lit up the Combine.

Been watching more tape of Ta'amu and really not that impressed anyway. Would be ticked if we reached for him. I currently have:

Luck

Fleener

Hayward

McNutt

Wolfe

Baptiste (Compensation)

Messina (Compensation)

Gettis

Sensabaugh

Bobby Rainey (Compensation)

Rather Givens or Streeter over Mc Nutt if they are there

A06...don't take this the wrong way, but from what I have seen of Thompson I was not impressed by him at all. He basically got destroyed by one of the worst offensive lines in the Big East in the Orange bowl.

Mike Martin is a high motor guy and just nasty inside and Derek Wolfe even played NT in a 3-4 at Cincy and has the versatilality to play DE with great size. There is depth at NT in this draft, I just hope the Colts don't waste a pick on a guys like Thompson or Worthy they both take to many plays off. A under the radar guy that not many are talking about is John Hughs out of Cincy. The guy was a complete beast last season and would be a bargain in later rounds or as a UDRFA to build depth. IMHO

I have trolled on the board the last few weeks and have really enjoyed the forums so far and look forward to contributing.

I understand what your saying, but I watched Brandon this season and the past. I haven't seen him take plays off. I've seen him be the anchor of the Clemson defense taking on double teams 97% of each snap. He can stand up and put a hand in the ground. He to me is a player who is very underestimated.

I actually don't like the idea of Ta'Amu very much. Shoulder and knee issues, motor/effort issues, inconsistent performances, and a history of not being able to control his weight. And many scouts/draft rankings have him a moderate talent. It's his size and lack of NTs in this draft that have him up on some draft boards in my opinion. NFL.com (combine section) even ranks him in the 'might make a roster/might contribute' category. If the Colts use a late pick, great, but nothing early. Washington allowed 4.5 yards per carry, and the handful of games I watched (the Baylor bowl game being the most extreme) Washington was horrid, and Ta'Amu didn't stand out to me. I think a pick like Ta'Amu, especially in the first three or four rounds, is exactly the kind of need pick over talent pick I hope the Colts avoid this year - every year for that matter.

I'd rather risk Chapman off ACL in the third or fourth than taking Ta'Amu in the second. Actually, I'd rather see Chapman period. Here's a kid on the best 3-4 D in the country who played on a torn ACL for most of the year.

Ta'Amu is very much an enigma to me. I'm no scout so the basis I have for wanting him is what others say. I've seen the NFL.com's scouting report of him and they have him rated very low. Then I've seen another place, nationalfootballpost.com, rate him as their 22nd overall player. Where he might go in the draft is up to GMs and scouts that work for teams, not NFL.com or nationalfootballpost.com. The overall consensus I've found though is that he's good for the 2nd/3rd round.

I agree with you. I watched around half a dozen Washington games this past year and was not consistently impressed with Ta'amu. He made a few really good plays here or there but I would much rather have Chapman or Brandon Thompson, and then hopefully nab Nicolas Jean-Baptiste in a late round.

Ta'Amu is very much an enigma to me. I'm no scout so the basis I have for wanting him is what others say. I've seen the NFL.com's scouting report of him and they have him rated very low. Then I've seen another place, nationalfootballpost.com, rate him as their 22nd overall player. Where he might go in the draft is up to GMs and scouts that work for teams, not NFL.com or nationalfootballpost.com. The overall consensus I've found though is that he's good for the 2nd/3rd round.

It looks like currently the NT options via FA are slim pickens. I'm kind of worried about Chapman from Bama, and some others. I wonder if we will just rely on A.J. this year, perhaps he can develop into a solid NT. He is listed @ 6'3 310 pounds. This position will be a tough one to fill.

Looks like the Colts might have to fill from the draft. But your guess is as good as mine.

It looks like currently the NT options via FA are slim pickens. I'm kind of worried about Chapman from Bama, and some others. I wonder if we will just rely on A.J. this year, perhaps he can develop into a solid NT. He is listed @ 6'3 310 pounds. This position will be a tough one to fill.

Looks like the Colts might have to fill from the draft. But your guess is as good as mine.

I agree with you on Chapman. IMO there are only 5 true 3-4 NT's in the draft that would be worth a draft spot and they are......

Dontari Poe - Will go early to mid 1st rd. so virtually no chance at him.

Alameda Ta' amu - The second best option and really the only chance we got at getting a decent NT in the first 3 rds..

Hebron Fangupo - Probably 4th rd. or so for him.

Nicolas Jean Baptiste - A decent pickup mid to late rds..

Ishmaa'ily Kitchen - How couldn't you like a big fatty who's last name is "Kitchen"?

The rest of the DT's available would be better suited for a 4-3 DT/NT system. Maybe if we do utilize a 4-3 - 3-4 hybrid D then some of those guys could be helpful, but most of them playing a true 3-4 NT spot would be waste IMO.

Any opinions on Sammy Lee Hill? Just saw that he is still a free agent. Nice size 6'4 330lb and just 25 years old.

I actually wanted the Colts to draft him when he came out, but haven't really followed his career since he went to the Lions.

as I've said before....a nose tackle is not all that's missing...got to have two big, strong interior linebackers who won't get malled by the O-linemen....I know the Colts will be a 3-4 defense in the near future....just not conviced it will be this year....

This year or next year, I'd hate to waste Conner and Angerer for a 3-4 defense. Hopefully those 2 work out in our version of a 3-4 but if they don't I think we should be a aggressive 4-3 team(move Redding to DT next to Nevis) . It would be better use of the good players we have. I agree that we probably should get another LB though, 1 that has size and speed and can play outside and inside in a 4-3 or a 3-4. Let Wheeler go to another team, he probably should be upgraded even though he's decent.

This year or next year, I'd hate to waste Conner and Angerer for a 3-4 defense. Hopefully those 2 work out in our version of a 3-4 but if they don't I think we should be a aggressive 4-3 team(move Redding to DT next to Nevis) . It would be better use of the good players we have. I agree that we probably should get another LB though, 1 that has size and speed and can play outside and inside in a 4-3 or a 3-4. Let Wheeler go to another team, he probably should be upgraded even though he's decent.

................yes.......I thought Nevis was an upgrade last year (until he got hurt)....and could you imagine what Freeney and Redding could do playing next to each other?.......this would be the best front four the Colts have had at least since they won the Super Bowl (with McFarland) at tackle.......but Pagano didn't get where he is by being stupid....so I trust he knows what he's doing.........

as I've said before....a nose tackle is not all that's missing...got to have two big, strong interior linebackers who won't get malled by the O-linemen....I know the Colts will be a 3-4 defense in the near future....just not conviced it will be this year....

Size isn't necessarily that important. Not that they lack size, but one of the reasons the Ravens have been so successful is because they have linemen who can keep blockers off the linebackers. The ability to shed blocks can come from 6'2 270 lb. Adalius Thomas or a 6'1 240 lb. Patrick Willis. I know those guys are crazy talent, but I don't think size is relevant beyond a certain point. There is no magic size. Good players can do it regardless of their size.

I'm all for another interior linebacker. I would even mind one who is on the higher side of 6'3 250. But I don't think they are a need, as if they are required to suceed in the 3-4. There are Brian Urlachers and there are London Fletchers. It would be inane to argue that the size is what makes them good or successful.

Size isn't necessarily that important. Not that they lack size, but one of the reasons the Ravens have been so successful is because they have linemen who can keep blockers off the linebackers. The ability to shed blocks can come from 6'2 270 lb. Adalius Thomas or a 6'1 240 lb. Patrick Willis. I know those guys are crazy talent, but I don't think size is relevant beyond a certain point. There is no magic size. Good players can do it regardless of their size.

I'm all for another interior linebacker. I would even mind one who is on the higher side of 6'3 250. But I don't think they are a need, as if they are required to suceed in the 3-4. There are Brian Urlachers and there are London Fletchers. It would be inane to argue that the size is what makes them good or successful.

You're right, and the same goes for the NT position. We don't simply have to have a guy that's 325 lbs plus. It all depends on if they run a 1-gap or 2-gap 3-4. If they go with a 2 gap then the short list of guys Balzer named might be the only good options, or at least the best candidates. However if they run a 1-gap then there would be many more options opened up.

look......the size thing is being overblown...I didn't neccessarily mean that another 15 pounds is going to make a big difference....the basic point is..the two interior linebackers, along with the nose tackle are the bread and butter of, the meat and potatoes...of the interior run defense....the interior LB's will be taking on O-linemen more directly....and must be STRONGER....than what is typically needed in a 4-3......Gary Bracket was an excelent MLB in the past.....he would get run over in a 3-4.........in short, the NT and interior linebackers in a 3-4 must be very good run stoppers......

I agree with you on Chapman. IMO there are only 5 true 3-4 NT's in the draft that would be worth a draft spot and they are......

Dontari Poe - Will go early to mid 1st rd. so virtually no chance at him.

Alameda Ta' amu - The second best option and really the only chance we got at getting a decent NT in the first 3 rds..

Hebron Fangupo - Probably 4th rd. or so for him.

Nicolas Jean Baptiste - A decent pickup mid to late rds..

Ishmaa'ily Kitchen - How couldn't you like a big fatty who's last name is "Kitchen"?

The rest of the DT's available would be better suited for a 4-3 DT/NT system. Maybe if we do utilize a 4-3 - 3-4 hybrid D then some of those guys could be helpful, but most of them playing a true 3-4 NT spot would be waste IMO.

haha I forgot about "The Kitchen" as I like to call him!