Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why The Colts Will Make The Playoffs Next Year

unitaswestand

Yeah, I know, I haven't lost my mind. They probably don't have a good chance. But I am an optimistic guy, so I want throw this out their for the optimistics to give reasons why the Colts can get to the playoffs. Here is my reasons why:

1) They will have a much better offensive line. With the young gets coming into their second year, plus the free agents brought in, I think this will be the best Colts offensive line since the first Super Bowl run. Since Pagano is committed to running to the ball and run blocking needs to be practiced and have that mentality, I expect the Colts to surprise in that area.

2) Defense will be better than what is expected. Some pieces where in place. Houston has show a defense can be turned around pretty quickly. We will need a nose guard, but I can see our defense surprising and being a top 15 defense. As Mathis metioned, in a 4-3 he and Freeney were chipped on almost every play. He will have a better path the the QB right now. Watch out!

3) Luck will be very solid for a rookie QB. He comes from a very well balanced team and already does things young NFL QBs aren't doing. He would be spectular, but I think very solid for a rookie. Probably Andy Dalton or slightly better. And had we had even that level of play last year, I think we would have won 6 games.

4) Grigson and Pagano seem to have a solid play from actions I have seen. I love how Grigson is grabbing mid level, young veterans at a good price. Call it Money Ball of the NFL. And Pagano wants tough guys who can be physical. Mix that in with the speed guys we have, and it will surprise.

Sure, we have holes. We need a #1 receiver, a nose guard, a TE, and another corner for starters. But I expect those to be address with more free agents or draft picks.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can give 8-9 reasons they won't....

Houston, NE, Pitts, Balt, Cincy, SD, Denver, TN, NYJ are all better teams then the Colts...

I somewhat agree...

If we pencil in HOU, NE, BAL, and DEN as division winners, we will have to beat out PIT, CIN, and TEN for wildcard spots. I think NYJ are in a decline, and I doubt they will even be close to the playoffs.

1 is a guess since we don't know the line. I'll give you 2 only because I expect disaster and anything else is an improvement. Agree on 3 also like the moneyball approach in 4.

I'm guessing 4 wins, but I'll be happy if we're moving in the right direction. Not continuously spiraling the drain, ala the Browns.

But I love your optimism!

Yeah, I know, I haven't lost my mind. They probably don't have a good chance. But I am an optimistic guy, so I want throw this out their for the optimistics to give reasons why the Colts can get to the playoffs. Here is my reasons why:

1) They will have a much better offensive line. With the young gets coming into their second year, plus the free agents brought in, I think this will be the best Colts offensive line since the first Super Bowl run. Since Pagano is committed to running to the ball and run blocking needs to be practiced and have that mentality, I expect the Colts to surprise in that area.

2) Defense will be better than what is expected. Some pieces where in place. Houston has show a defense can be turned around pretty quickly. We will need a nose guard, but I can see our defense surprising and being a top 15 defense. As Mathis metioned, in a 4-3 he and Freeney were chipped on almost every play. He will have a better path the the QB right now. Watch out!

3) Luck will be very solid for a rookie QB. He comes from a very well balanced team and already does things young NFL QBs aren't doing. He would be spectular, but I think very solid for a rookie. Probably Andy Dalton or slightly better. And had we had even that level of play last year, I think we would have won 6 games.

4) Grigson and Pagano seem to have a solid play from actions I have seen. I love how Grigson is grabbing mid level, young veterans at a good price. Call it Money Ball of the NFL. And Pagano wants tough guys who can be physical. Mix that in with the speed guys we have, and it will surprise.

Sure, we have holes. We need a #1 receiver, a nose guard, a TE, and another corner for starters. But I expect those to be address with more free agents or draft picks.

I'm hoping but we have a lot of holes on offenese (center, TE, WR, backups at most positions)

..the goal is always to make the playoffs though..so I salute the thought!

mark the only hole is at TE. we have like 6 WR's, and a strong C with Kirkpatrick backing him up.

holes are on the D.

Who is our center and who's the backup? Who's our starting tackles other than Costanzo?

..and we have 6 real receivers (not undrafteds and untesteds)?

Who are our backup QBs?

I see a lot more on defense.

With our current team (including Luck), I don't see us winning more than 5 games. I'm optimistic, but just realistic about the situation.

Houston, New England, Baltimore are locks for the top 3 seeds, I think. I'd think Pittsburgh has one wildcard, while Kansas City, Oakland, and Denver fight it out for the AFC West and other wildcard.

I somewhat agree...

If we pencil in HOU, NE, BAL, and DEN as division winners, we will have to beat out PIT, CIN, and TEN for wildcard spots. I think NYJ are in a decline, and I doubt they will even be close to the playoffs.

I agree with you about NYJ. There is going to be way too much locker room turmoil with the Sanchez/Tebow lunacy that has already started.

I can give 8-9 reasons they won't....

Houston, NE, Pitts, Balt, Cincy, SD, Denver, TN, NYJ are all better teams then the Colts...

I think we can be better than Houston and Tennessee, although I'm not expecting it. All you have to do is win the division.

1) agree...Colts started 3 new starters last year on O-line with very little pre-season to prepare...then with injuries there was alot of instability with only Saturday and Diem being the proven vets ...still the Colts had a respectable run game (4.2 per rush, which was exactly the reg season average of the 12 playoff teams)....and the Colts rushed for negative yards 9% of the time (9% was exactly the reg season average of the 12 playoff teams).... Colts gave up 35 sacks (34 was the reg season average of the 12 playoff teams).....and here's a real supprise...the Colts were the least penalized offense in the NFL.........

1) agree...Colts started 3 new starters last year on O-line with very little pre-season to prepare...then with injuries there was alot of instability with only Saturday and Diem being the proven vets ...still the Colts had a respectable run game (4.2 per rush, which was exactly the reg season average of the 12 playoff teams)....and the Colts rushed for negative yards 9% of the time (9% was exactly the reg season average of the 12 playoff teams).... Colts gave up 35 sacks (34 was the reg season average of the 12 playoff teams).....and here's a real supprise...the Colts were the least penalized offense in the NFL.........

Can't be penalized much when your not on the field very long. haha

3) ..........Luck won't be an improvment over Manning next year, but I believe he will be a significant improvement over last years QB's.......if they can successfully replace Garcon and Clark/Tamme.........I'm concerned also about the loss of Addai and the negative effect it may have on the passing game....anyway...I think the offense may be be much better than people think...

I can dig it... I am not getting my hopes up, but things do seem to be coming together nicely. I agree that our most glaring holes are D-line (NT), TE (I think we currently only have Eldridge), WR (I think we are OK with Wayne, Collie and White, but need 1 more stud via draft), and CB (I think our guys are serviceable given a new scheme but another one or two in the draft couldn't hurt).

I expect our holes to be filled primarily via the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if we are done at FA for the time being. I am pretty sure we are out of cap space for the moment.

Here's hoping for a Playoff appearance! But heck, I'd settle for .500!

I can dig it... I am not getting my hopes up, but things do seem to be coming together nicely. I agree that our most glaring holes are D-line (NT), TE (I think we currently only have Eldridge), WR (I think we are OK with Wayne, Collie and White, but need 1 more stud via draft), and CB (I think our guys are serviceable given a new scheme but another one or two in the draft couldn't hurt).

I expect our holes to be filled primarily via the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if we are done at FA for the time being. I am pretty sure we are out of cap space for the moment.

Here's hoping for a Playoff appearance! But heck, I'd settle for .500!

I'd settle for visible improvement in our play, regardless of the record. But unlike many others, I don't think we're doomed to ineptitude. I think we can be better in 2012 and have a foundation for marked improvement moving forward. I'm really excited for next year. Can't wait for the draft.

The way I look at it, we will have a significantly better team next year. Luck is already better than anyone we 'wheeled' (Collins) out there last year at QB, but there will be growing pains for him. The Oline is setting up real nice, and the WRs with Reggie, Austin, and Donnie Avery look to be pretty solid. Still need a good pass catching TE, hopefully Fleener....keep those two beasts together. On defense we will no longer be running the crap Cover 2 all game long. It will not only be unpredictable, but it will be better all around. Redding will be a key to making the defense click. Guys like Rico Matthews and Fili Moala can man the other DE position, and Nevis can come in and play 3 tech if we want to mix things up. The LBs look to be pretty decent all the way around, and the same can be said for the Safeties. CB and a true Nose tackle are the only things the defense might need help with. Gotta get some man corners, although I think Rucker and Thomas will be able to do it. We will be a better team next year, and I think we can contend with Houston for the division.

It can happen. Believe me, IT CAN HAPPEN.

I already called 9-7 a while ago, I think I might stick with it. Heck I might even bump the baby up to 10 wins later.

Guess we'll see if I want to move my 9-7 and potential playoff spot up or down later.

We might get LUCKy next year and have a suprise run.

And if we don't win many games it's not like it will stun anyone. Most are predicting a bad season.

Let me get this straight.

WILL have...

WILL be...

WILL be...

SEEM to have...

Fantasize much?

Yes.

Just like Houston Texans fans for so many years.......

We allowed. Hey you know it and we know it. The AFC South isn't anything to write home about.

please all im new to this site and a true colts fan. all i ask is for comments to be positive. lets get behind our team congraduate them as new colts team members and be positive towards all the staff and team moves. lets get our team excited to play and win win win no negatives on here about the team think positive chear harder and godbless to all those team members we lost GL with future teams we will miss you. cmon people GO Blue

Yes.

Just like Houston Texans fans for so many years.......

We allowed. Hey you know it and we know it. The AFC South isn't anything to write home about.

Like I already said, at least I didn't do that...

haha 'we allowed'. Did you guys hit your face on the steps when you fell down the ladder?

It isn't much to write about, which is why 9-7 can win that division, but I'll put money down that it ain't the Colts.

Let me get this straight.

WILL have...

WILL be...

WILL be...

SEEM to have...

Fantasize much?

Oh, you mean people cannot speculate on a forum?? What it he forum for then? 90% of what is said on here is pure speculation. Based on the moves the Colts have made and how they performed last year, my opinion is that. Or do we need to keep it all to facts and just discuss last year?

Let's not forget that way played the great Texans with both our starting QBs out at the end of the year. I know, Houston had clinched the division, but the were still fighting for a playoff spot from what I remember. So it is not like Houston is so much better than us. The team is much more capable than the record indicated last year, and you can't get much worse than the QBing

Let's not forget that way played the great Texans with both our starting QBs out at the end of the year. I know, Houston had clinched the division, but the were still fighting for a playoff spot from what I remember. So it is not like Houston is so much better than us. The team is much more capable than the record indicated last year, and you can't get much worse than the QBing

The type in bold makes no sense, grammatically or otherwise.

And I'm fairly certain even the most elementary of football minds understands that if you clinch the division, you earn a playoff spot...

Express your opinions on how skilled you think the Texans are in relation to the Colts, I really don't care, all I know is numbers never lie.

i honestly dont think texans will be as good as last year.

On the one hand, I can see that because they'll have an entirely new right side of the line to break in. On the other hand, if Schaub and Andre stay healthy the entire year they'll be substantially more dangerous on offense. For all his failings as a head coach, Wade Phillips' defenses tend to be fairly consistent (esp. when he's a coordinator) so I wouldn't expect any sort of drop off on that side of the ball, either.