Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts should never let Nelson or Leonard leave

Lucky Colts Fan

Gil Brandt wrote a piece for NFL.com about 12 players whose teams should never let them leave to play for another team.

https://www.nfl.com/news/twelve-players-whose-teams-should-never-let-them-leave

Some obvious names like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Donald, and Saquon Barkley.  Steelers had two defenders in TJ Watt and Minkah Fitzpatrick.  Colts had two players in Nelson and Leonard.  :rock:

10 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Gil Brandt wrote a piece for NFL.com about 12 players whose teams should never let them leave to play for another team.

Some obvious names like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Donald, and Saquon Barkley.  Steelers had two defenders in TJ Watt and Minkah Fitzpatrick.  Colts had two players in Nelson and Leonard.  :rock:

Agreed. Nelson, Leonard, and I would argue Buckner now, are the heart of the team. I would keep them until the end of their careers.

Luckily, we have a lot of average to above-average players to go with those 3 that this team is just loaded and will be for the forseeable future.

Never is a long time.  

Barkley sure is questionable.   Keeping a RB for their entire career doesn't make sense most times.  The good ones typically hold out for a big contract.    They typically lose a step as the reach 30.  They can be replaced with a rookie or 2nd year RB and not lose a whole lot of production.  Injuries play a factor.   Barkley missed 3 games last season.   

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed. Nelson, Leonard, and I would argue Buckner now, are the heart of the team. I would keep them until the end of their careers.

Luckily, we have a lot of average to above-average players to go with those 3 that this team is just loaded and will be for the forseeable future.

Yeah we have another core group of young guys like Okereke, Turay, Walker, Rock, Moore, Braden Smith, Ryan Kelly, and Khari Willis, along with our talented rookies we just brought in. And Campbell could possibly show out this year also. 

Future it bright!

6 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

We won't be able to keep everybody....bye bye Leonard.

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Ballard is smart with the cap and will do everything in his power to keep his core players. That includes Leonard. 

It doesn't matter how smart u r. Eventually, u will have to let players walk. It's the nature of the game. U can't pay everyone. In 2 years or sooner, our 2 highest players will b a guard and WLB. Most likely highest paid at their position  if thry decide to sign both.

I can't agree with saying 'never'.

Every player ends their career so never is not the right word to use.

Besides, let's enjoy those guys being here and not worry about the end of their careers or if they are going to be here their whole careers.

IMO opinion we have some pretty positive things to look forward to and I'm not even thinking about down the road. What the future brings none of us knows.

22 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Ballard is smart with the cap and will do everything in his power to keep his core players. That includes Leonard. 

It’s like the Seahawks giving key members of their D one very good post-rookie first big contract. The issues happen when they’re due a second big contract and are closer to being past their prime closer to the age of 30. Five year contracts become 2 or 3 year ones at that point in time to protect the team and you need to have their replacement drafted and ready at least by the time their first post-rookie contract is done.

Thats why I won’t rule ourselves drafting a speedster like TY next year. OL and QB positions can go longer with a longer second post-rookie contract more than other positions, IMO.

On 6/20/2020 at 8:03 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

It doesn't matter how smart u r. Eventually, u will have to let players walk. It's the nature of the game. U can't pay everyone. In 2 years or sooner, our 2 highest players will b a guard and WLB. Most likely highest paid at their position  if thry decide to sign both.

I think Nelson is a certain signing.    Leonard is close to that too.   He's proven his talent on the filed.  He's taken steps to be the leader on the defense.   I expect him to make a big step this season at being the QB of the defense on the field.  That will provide more worth for him.   

Archived