Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was this a smokescreen

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

Well OP, as I posted before the draft, hear everything, believe nothing.  Of course it was a smoke screen.

Right... 

Ballard started attending Lives games in 2018 then attended more in 2019 just to throw off teams that were interested in the kid. 

We invested all that attention, time and effort just to do nothing with it.

Gotcha. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right... 

Ballard started attending Lives games in 2018 then attended more in 2019 just to throw off teams that were interested in the kid. 

Gotcha. 

Right.

The Colts liked Love. No revisionist history is going to change that. But we learned in March that they weren't head over heels for him, because they wouldn't have traded out of the first round if they were. 

If they spoke to him the day before the draft, they were likely finalizing their board, and probably would have taken him at some point during the draft. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Right.

The Colts liked Love. No revisionist history is going to change that. But we learned in March that they weren't head over heels for him, because they wouldn't have traded out of the first round if they were. 

If they spoke to him the day before the draft, they were likely finalizing their board, and probably would have taken him at some point during the draft. 

Agreed Love was on the brain trusts radar but appears that his grade didn’t outweigh what the addition of Buckner was

On 5/6/2020 at 5:38 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Could Ballard had info they wanted Pittman or Taylor. I doubt there was any smokescreen though. Packers had info about the last minute zoom call and didn’t want to chance it. 

Not sure why we or any team would create a deliberate smoke screen around a player in hopes that another team would trade up for him.  Unless we were targeting our smoke screen towards HOU, JAX, or TEN to use a draft pick when they wouldn't otherwise have to. 

7 hours ago, Superman said:

Right.

If anything, if I was another team and the Colts really did invest this much time in him and traded out of 13th and then never considered trading back into 1st round when he slipped, I would have questions. Like what did they see or hear from him that made them turn. We will never know. 

3 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

If anything, if I was another team and the Colts really did invest this much time in him and traded out of 13th and then never considered trading back into 1st round when he slipped, I would have questions. Like what did they see or hear from him that made them turn. We will never know. 

Ehh, I don't know if they invested any more time in him than they would another late first / early second round guy on their board. They spent a bunch of time on Pittman, right? Doesn't mean they changed their mind on Love, just didn't have a high enough grade on him to take him at #13. It was the hype train that suggested they might, not really anything the Colts did.

On 5/7/2020 at 4:26 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Right... 

Gotcha. 

Has anyone ever thought maybe he wasn't all that high on the kid?  You can attend games, evaluate a guy until the cows come home, but suppose you end up thinking "Ya know what?  The kid aint worth it."  It's certainly possible, who knows?  But THIS I can guaran-damn-tee you:  Ballard didn't think the guy was worth a 1st round pick.  And ALL those reports saying the Colts were going to pick him in the 1st were DEAD wrong.  And I'm glad.

15 hours ago, Superman said:

Ehh, I don't know if they invested any more time in him than they would another late first / early second round guy on their board. They spent a bunch of time on Pittman, right? Doesn't mean they changed their mind on Love, just didn't have a high enough grade on him to take him at #13. It was the hype train that suggested they might, not really anything the Colts did.

They also spent a ton of time with Eason. I still don’t think they had Love graded that high. I bet they had a similar grade as Eason because both are major projects. They wanted players that could impact now with those first few picks. With Rivers and Jacoby they didn’t feel the need to take a QB high at all.

I bet it was a smokescreen. We wanted Pittman and the LOGICAL choice for GB was to draft a WR in the first round. So we start a rumor that we had a trade partner at the end of the first round if the conditions were right (Isn't this what someone from the Colts admitted?) and everyone knew that we were studying Love. Heck we talked to him the night before the draft, right? (and we let that leak.) So GB doesn't want to miss out on Love and they jump up ahead of where they though we were going to go. Then Ballard tells us that he never had any intention of doing this and was eating popcorn as the end of the first round finished up. Brilliant!

1 hour ago, Dr. T said:

I bet it was a smokescreen. We wanted Pittman and the LOGICAL choice for GB was to draft a WR in the first round. So we start a rumor that we had a trade partner at the end of the first round if the conditions were right (Isn't this what someone from the Colts admitted?) and everyone knew that we were studying Love. Heck we talked to him the night before the draft, right? (and we let that leak.) So GB doesn't want to miss out on Love and they jump up ahead of where they though we were going to go. Then Ballard tells us that he never had any intention of doing this and was eating popcorn as the end of the first round finished up. Brilliant!

I would assume it was Loves agent that leaked we had talked to him. I imagine the agents give other teams info about who their clients have talked to. 

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would assume it was Loves agent that leaked we had talked to him. I imagine the agents give other teams info about who their clients have talked to. 

Of coarse it was the agent. He is the one who gets paid more the higher his client gets drafted. 

On 5/7/2020 at 5:49 PM, DougDew said:

Not sure why we or any team would create a deliberate smoke screen around a player in hopes that another team would trade up for him.  Unless we were targeting our smoke screen towards HOU, JAX, or TEN to use a draft pick when they wouldn't otherwise have to. 

It is OBVIOUS!
  They needed receiving help and Ballard was afraid they would take what may be the best WR in the draft. Pittman. 
  You think we needed to talk to Love right before the draft to gain some new revelation? Deception would be much more likely IMO.

On 5/8/2020 at 5:15 PM, runthepost said:

I remember when folks were saying we need to trade up from 13 to Draft Love lmao

that was before free agency.  after that there were only a couple teams that needed to get a starter from this draft.  Colts didnt need one any more either 

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

It is OBVIOUS!
  They needed receiving help and Ballard was afraid they would take what may be the best WR in the draft. Pittman. 
  You think we needed to talk to Love right before the draft to gain some new revelation? Deception would be much more likely IMO.

Why would GB not want Pittman the more Ballard talked to Love?

On 5/8/2020 at 12:49 AM, DougDew said:

I guess it would make sense if you are trying to make a team drafting after the Colts to trade up and draft Love(i.e. one less team that could take a player we like). This doesn't make sense for the teams ahead of us though and it doesn't make sense with this much of an elaborate scheme(pretending to be interested in him for so long). 

But yeah... IMO it wasn't a smoke screen. It was a regular interest in a player a team was doing their due diligence on. 

On 5/5/2020 at 8:09 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Love is a packer now and to tell you the truth after thinking about it Eason fits this team better. Did the colts goat the packers into taking Love and not a WR. The colts seemed like Pittman was the guy at 34 in the next pick series. If they wanted love so bad at 34 I think they would of traded up a few spots.  I am happy with Eason and they are both projects with a lot of upside. The only thing different with love is his ability outside the pocket. Colts mentioned Eason is more athletic then what people think.

Just spitballing but I don't think the Colts would waste their time trying to goad a team from the NFC that we play only once every 4 years into a mistake. 

I think there is a good chance they where hoping Love fell to them.  

Remember the episodes of "with the next pick" where they actually mention names is edited after the draft.  They want to edit in such a way to make it look like the draft went down exactly how they where hoping.  

And I'm not saying that it didn't happen that way.  But they are going to edit it to make it look like Pittman and Taylor where their targets the whole time and any conversations about Love or any other player would not make the cut.

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Just spitballing but I don't think the Colts would waste their time trying to goad a team from the NFC that we play only once every 4 years into a mistake. 

I think there is a good chance they where hoping Love fell to them.  

Remember the episodes of "with the next pick" where they actually mention names is edited after the draft.  They want to edit in such a way to make it look like the draft went down exactly how they where hoping.  

And I'm not saying that it didn't happen that way.  But they are going to edit it to make it look like Pittman and Taylor where their targets the whole time and any conversations about Love or any other player would not make the cut.

Reich mentioned the goal in the draft was to find playmakers. I still don’t think they would of took him at 34. They were intent on getting a playmaker. Now 44 who knows maybe. After hearing a scout after the draft I am convinced they had the same grade on Love as they did on Eason because they are both big projects.  If they wanted him that bad they could of traded up for very little. 

On 5/7/2020 at 1:07 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Yep. I think packers could of got him at the end of the second. I will almost bet the colts had the same grade on him they had on Eason. They were both big projects.

Did you actually see that Jalen Hurts got drafted around #50 by Eagles? How do you honestly think Love would've been there at the end of second round? There are more teams like Vikings, Bears, or even Lions in the same division as Packers who would've been interested in Jordan Love, if no other team picked him until mid-second round. Eagles might have preferred Love ahead of Hurts, if he was available. There's zero reason to believe that Love would've been available at the end of second round. 

Packers wanted Love so much, they traded up and got him. There's Zero evidence that they got persuaded to trade up because Colts would've picked him otherwise. Packers could have got more information that someone like Eagles or Jaguars or Bears willing to take Jordan Love, and they got him as early to make sure no one else gets him. It doesn't have to be only Colts - it's mindless fascination that only Colts would've got Love if not for the Packers.

I don't know why Colts fans need to even worry about it, when all you need to know is Colts never were looking to trade up to first round for any QB. That's all you need to know. You don't have to justify how both Love and Eason are big projects and how both are one and the same and how it is better you got Eason.

If you like Eason, like him for the player he is. I don't get the endless talk about Jordan Love and how Packers got him, when it is clear that Colts didn't try to move up for him.

Archived