Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor is our Zeke

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

That's  not true. Mack fumbled  at a rate of once every 48 touches coming  out of college.  Taylor  fumbled  at a rate of once every 50 touches so Taylor is better than  than mack in practically  every  area coming out  of college. 

I'll tell you this Marlon Mack did not commit a single fumble in 2019 in the NFL. Think of that.

36 minutes ago, TrueBlue12 said:

I'll tell you this Marlon Mack did not commit a single fumble in 2019 in the NFL. Think of that.

I'm not worried  about fumbling as long as he isn't  doing it all the time. Went back and looked  at trent Richardson's tape at Alabama  and compare it to taylor. Taylor actually  looks like he has vision 

58 minutes ago, TrueBlue12 said:

If you have a top 10 RB at only 24 yrs of age. Maybe you don't feel a need to draft there. 

If you have a top rb at 24 you draft there. Now if its  a top qb you don't  have to draft high for the back  up. The fact of the matter is there us nothing  wrong with two good backs though in my opinion  taylor is on another  level talent  wise.

It's  like having edgerrin James and  Addai  in the same backfield. Putting  less of the load on mack should help keep him healthy and fresher.

Irsay wanted a 1500 yard back. I think taylor  could go for over 2000 with enough  carries.  He and Mack aren't  comparable.

14 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I'm gonna respectfully disagree with you on this one.  Mack was listed at 5'11" and 213 lbs in his draft profile while Taylor is 5'10" and a beefy 226.  Mack had a grade of 5.54 while Taylor's grade is 6.41.  Mack can catch and is better running outside the lines IMHO.  He is not what I would call a power runner whereas this is the very definition of what Taylor does best.  Mack is not as good at running through contact as Taylor is.  Again, this is a strength of Taylor.  Both have good top end speed, this is true, but Taylor has another gear.  Mack's 40 time was 4.50 whereas Taylor was 4.39.  Mack catches the ball very well, and Taylor might be able to catch but we really don't know as Wisconsin doesn't really require that of their RB's.  Both are probably adequate at pass blocking and both had a fumbling problem entering the NFL but that's about it as far as the similarities IMHO.

Where are you coming up with "Mack can catch?"    Its the worst part of his game.  He is not a threat at all in the pass game, that's why Hines is in there to do that.    That reason and his durability are the reasons I have wanted an upgrade at RB

I don’t see much difference in their game today - though Taylor has yet to take a snap in the NFL.  You can’t really compare Mack’s 2019 fumble rate against Taylor’s, in my opinion, since Rathman hasn’t had a chance to work with Taylor.

I think Ballard likes the way Mack fits our offense.  If Taylor is pretty much the same back then - if after Taylor proves himself - if Mack wants too much green for his next contract Taylor is already in place to take his spot.  If Taylor ends up being a better receiver then even better.

In the end, if we can keep both then we could extend both their careers by lightening their load.  I think it’s a great pick for us.

3 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Where are you coming up with "Mack can catch?"    Its the worst part of his game.  He is not a threat at all in the pass game, that's why Hines is in there to do that.    That reason and his durability are the reasons I have wanted an upgrade at RB

He caught 14 of 17 targets last year.  They just aren't using him that way.  Perhaps they should target him more?  I'm not saying he's Hines, but he aint that bad.

12 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

He's very good in protection 

I think we're very fortunate to have these two guys for at least a year.  Would like to see it for longer but we all know this is a business so we'll see.  But with our OL and these guys toting it, and Hines being the receiving threat he is, this RB room just got a LOT better and teams will struggle to contain it.  These guys should be fresher too.

Marlon is good. JT can be like Barkley. Mack goes down with arm tackles sometimes, but you'd better bring the cavalry when trying to take down JT. Definitely a bigger home run threat. I think a game in which our OL is dominant & Mack goes for 116, JT could go for 155 (and add some receiving yards). Mack only went over 100 three times last season, I always thought he should be getting even more. We're stronger and better set up for success with having Taylor, than resigning Mack next year. I think Taylor WILL be that RB worth resigning when the time comes.

On 4/25/2020 at 5:30 AM, indykmj said:

Lol. I like Taylor. But he  isn't even remotely comparable to where Zeke was

in the passing game (route running and most importantly, protection) coming out of OSU. And Zeke had zero fumbling issues.

As for 'imposing your will', 'killing the clock', etc. if you mean AFTER you've 

used your passing (including play-action) game to score a bunch of points

and build a lead heading into Q4, then I totally agree.

Zeke has fumbled before more than once I would have him carry that fumbling ball around the rest of the offseason I bet by the time TC would come around fumbling problem gone.

On 4/25/2020 at 5:27 AM, TrueBlue12 said:

I don't like the Taylor pick at all. I see him as Marlon Mack 2.0. You don't need 2.0 if you have 1.0. Just my opinion. So, Mack loses carries and Wilkens is useless.

Taylor is a more consistent more powerfull back than Mack the comparison isn't even close and Wilkins is terrible.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:49 AM, 07dleigh said:

Marlon is good. JT can be like Barkley. Mack goes down with arm tackles sometimes, but you'd better bring the cavalry when trying to take down JT. Definitely a bigger home run threat. I think a game in which our OL is dominant & Mack goes for 116, JT could go for 155 (and add some receiving yards). Mack only went over 100 three times last season, I always thought he should be getting even more. We're stronger and better set up for success with having Taylor, than resigning Mack next year. I think Taylor WILL be that RB worth resigning when the time comes.

I like your thinking. Remember Edgerrin James' early years when he would bust tackles and keep pounding teams all the way through the fourth quarter. It was like he wasn't happy unless he had well over 100 yards rushing every single game.

Is it possible Taylor just might have that same killer instinct? If he does, I'm guessing he could contend for rushing titles like Edge did. Then a second contract would certainly seem within the realm of possibility. Irsay loved Edgerrin James! 

Now we just need Rivers to build second half leads like Peyton used to do and turn the RBs loose.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:05 PM, TrueBlue12 said:

I am going to repectfully disagree with you. You say Marlon Mack fumbles. I have not seen any indication of that anywhere.

If you don't believe Tom Rathman, you don't believe anyone:

https://www.colts.com/news/tom-rathman-marlon-mack-nyheim-hines-colts-podcast

Taylor fumbled 5x his last season. Mack fumbled 4x his last college season, and 11x in 3yrs. Taylor fumbled 18x in 3yrs but also had about 300 or so more carries than Mack in college. 

On 4/25/2020 at 3:16 PM, chad72 said:

Hmmm...the list of Wisconsin backs with high mileage in college fizzling out at the NFL is larger than 1 Melvin Gordon. I’m a skeptic. Montee Ball, Ron Dayne etc., I’m sure you can look it up. I still remember Montee Ball coughing up the ball that kick started the Patriots comeback from 0-24 vs the Broncos in 2013 at Foxboro. JT has similar fumbling issues.

I’m rooting for him but he’s not Zeke.

Ron Daynes problem was weight and work ethic.... Taylor's measurables are a lot better than most rbs in any given draft, and his weight to speed ratio has only been matched by S. Barkley since 2014.... Taylor has never had injury problems, and his fumble percentage is 1.9%.... Derrick Henry last year was 1.7%.... safe to say the fumbling issues are overblown as well

On 4/26/2020 at 4:53 AM, Stephen said:

If you have a top rb at 24 you draft there. Now if its  a top qb you don't  have to draft high for the back  up. The fact of the matter is there us nothing  wrong with two good backs though in my opinion  taylor is on another  level talent  wise.

It's  like having edgerrin James and  Addai  in the same backfield. Putting  less of the load on mack should help keep him healthy and fresher.

Irsay wanted a 1500 yard back. I think taylor  could go for over 2000 with enough  carries.  He and Mack aren't  comparable.

Ravens while having RB Ingram, and QB mobile Jackson still drafted my favorite player in the draft JK Dobbins. Same is true with Chiefs who drafted RB from LSU. Ballard seems to be following a good trend there.

On 4/26/2020 at 4:00 AM, TrueBlue12 said:

if you look at mack's college career his fumble rate was higher than taylor's

hasnt been a probelm for mack in the pros so it might not for talyor either, they can coach that

Smh it’s not this deep why can’t we just be happy we have good backs why do we have to downplay the next?? Everybody loved Mack before the draft when they heard he’d be getting an extension possibly now it’s like oh he’s garbage just can’t enjoy great talent 

I was fine with Mack and didn't think running back was a need.

But, if Taylor is this good I believe Mack would provide more value in a trade for next year's draft or to improve our defense. Hines and Wilkins are more than capable to handle backup duties.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived