Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree to terms with QB Philip Rivers (1 YR Deal)

csmopar

20 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Interesting. So every year the Colts have been in Indy except for 2....were wasted years?

Of course not! I thought the goal was to build a young team and compete year after year. This is a band aid to sell tickets with an aging quarterback.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's an upgrade over JB. What QB would get us to the SB this year in your opinion? A rookie sure wouldn't. 

The only guy that probably could do that for the Colts right now would have been Brees but he was never allowed to hit the market.  I'm on record for posting several times that this is a lousy year to need a QB.  I agree that a rookie wouldn't.  JB wouldn't but will likely play better next season than any rookie QB we draft.  Brady is evil (lol) and Rivers looks washed.  None of the free agent options were anything to rave over honestly.  Going younger would have given us our best chance. If I had to sign one...I actually prefered Bridgewater.  In my opinion the Panthers made the best QB move today but they aren't ready.  With the right weapons around him I think he would take the Colts farther than Rivers.   Brady landed in the best spot and has a chance to do something with the Tampa Bay offense.  

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been a fan since 1984 so we are close in years. The 80's were bad until we got Dickerson.

Curtis Dickey was the first Colts player I fell in love with.  I was 8.  lol 

28 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We still have the draft. What QB would get us to the SB? We wanted a short term option to groom the future. 

Again if Rivers was so good the Chargers would not let him walk. He did not want to leave, they didn’t want him any more. Brissett is not the answer. 

23 minutes ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

Last year was an anomaly year for Philip.  I have watched every game he's played for our team and though I love him as a player I try to watch with a very clear eye.  

1.  This year was a freaky year for the Chargers.  We had terrible injuries to the O-Line (that wasn't exactly top rated to begin with).  I believe we had 20+ different configurations.   The last bad interception year Philip had the O-line injuries were even worse.  His biggest fault is trying to put the whole team on his back and make it happen.  I'm guessing, but something like 6 interceptions were in the last few games.  They were last minute in games where we were so far behind we had no chance, but he darn near pulled it off.

2.  Melvin Gordon's useless, ill-advised hold out never let our running game get rolling.  Rivers can throw the heck out of the ball, but really shines in a balanced offense where the D has to respect both sides of the ball.  He never complains or makes excuses.  He never throws a team mate under the bus or grumbles.  He NEVER QUITS.  If anything goes right he spreads the praise to everyone but himself.  When it goes wrong he puts it on his own shoulders.

3.  His arm is still good.  He threw for 4615 yards last season, 4308 in 2018 and 4515 in 2017.  Protect him and give him anyone with talent to throw to and he'll figure them out very quickly.  His life time completion rate has always been around 65% and he won't hesitate to throw the ball away when he needs to.  His interceptions have almost always been trying to make the game winning plays.  

4.  His best years have always come after really tough years.  He went from 21 interceptions in 2015 down to 10.  That's because he spends a lot of time in the film room after the season tearing apart his own game.  You'll get the benefit of that dedication and ruthless self evaluation.

I wish him the best, and that he finally get the ring he's been denied thus far. 

I appreciate your post.  I was secretly hoping you would provide your thoughts.  Thank you. 

5 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Of course not! I thought the goal was to build a young team and compete year after year. This is a band aid to sell tickets with an aging quarterback.

LAC is in position to draft their QB of the future who is presently good enough to start next season.  If they were to move on from a 38 year old QB....any FA 38 year old QB...the time to do that is when you're picking 6th, even if that old Qb has something left.

We probably would not have been in position to draft an immediate starter at 13, so we need a vet to start.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is funny is his stats weren't that bad last year except for the INT's. He threw for 4600 yards and 23 TD's. He did have 20 INT's but some people wanted Winston he threw 30!

Yeah but at least Winston went and got laser eye surgery afterwards.  lol  

4 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Again if Rivers was so good the Chargers would not let him walk. He did not want to leave, they didn’t want him any more. Brissett is not the answer. 

And how many teams have been proven wrong for letting a player go?  Ballard let Mike Adams go and still continued to play solid football.  Releasing a player doesn't always mean they suck and can never produce anymore.  Teams let players go all the time for a variety of reasons.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

LAC is in position to draft their QB of the future who is presently good enough to start next season.  If they were to move on from a 38 year old QB....any FA 38 year old QB...the time to do that is when you're picking 6th, even if that old Qb has something left.

We probably would not have been in position to draft an immediate starter at 13, so we need a vet to start.

good point

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

good point

And, although Rivers is a great teammate, I think he had no love lost for the FO who moved the team to LA, where he didn't want to be.  I suspect that he gave them the cold shoulder at the first opportunity.

NC State graduate here. I was at NC State at the same time as Rivers. I'm a huge fan. Followed the Chargers when he was drafted and now I'm officially a Colts fan.

Is Rivers in his prime. Certainly not. Is Rivers washed up. Not even close. The guy has been behind completely trash lines the last few years. He never really caught a break at San Diego. Even when they were really good, LT and/or Gates were out in the playoffs.  He has basically had the entire team on his back the last few years. Any San Diego fan will agree.  He has had to push and take chances which has resulted in a lot of turnover along with constantly being pressured.

The guy wants to win a Super Bowl. I don't know much about the Colts other than you having a good line and Hines. If you have the pieces in place, he can get you to the Super Bowl.  He came here to Indy to win a super bowl.  You have a hall of fame QB now at the helm. Hope you guys can put it together this year.

P.S.  I also visited the Seahawks message board after they drafted Russell Wilson  and their fans said he sucked. I told them he would win them a Super Bowl.   

Good luck this year. Will be going to the game at Pittsburgh with my dad and will likely get to Indy for a game.

46 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I appreciate your post.  I was secretly hoping you would provide your thoughts.  Thank you. 

I imagine you'll see me around here a bit more again.  I've been pretty busy the last few years.

If I have to see him in another uniform, the Colts are the best fit and a team I have enjoyed for years!  If you have any questions just ask away.  I'll be frank and honest.  

I remember observing Peyton Manning start to throw lame duck passes a couple years before he left the game.  Philip isn't doing that but his throws are a fraction of a second slower than they have been.  He's got to adjust the tightness of the window he's used to throwing to, give himself a bit more margin before throwing the jump ball etc.  This seemed to start during the Green Bay game last year.  I remember that Rivers took a couple of really tough hits and perhaps he may have been playing injured the 2nd half of the year.  Overall, I do not believe that he's washed up or degrading in any serious way.

2018 was one of his best years ever in all around play.  I fully expected him to get another 2 or 3 year contract with LA and then retire to coach a high school football team for the rest of his life.  It's been his plan forever.  Sad, sad day for our family...

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And, although Rivers is a great teammate, I think he had no love lost for the FO who moved the team to LA, where he didn't want to be.  I suspect that he gave them the cold shoulder at the first opportunity.

Not at all his character.  You will find that he is an incredible person, team mate and representative of the team.  He doesn't hold grudges and that he and the team parted on good terms.  In fact, I have heard reports that Philip told them it was best for all sides.  He's very selfless.  Treat him well :heart:  

52 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Many regard Tom Brady as the greatest of all time but the Pats let him leave. Your point is invalid. Dean Spanos sucks, of course Rivers was gone. 

7 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Many regard Tom Brady as the greatest of all time but the Pats let him leave. Your point is invalid. Dean Spanos sucks, of course Rivers was gone. 

Wrong! Tom Brady left the Pats. I’m sure they didn’t want Brady to walk. 

14 minutes ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

Not at all his character.  You will find that he is an incredible person, team mate and representative of the team.  He doesn't hold grudges and that he and the team parted on good terms.  In fact, I have heard reports that Philip told them it was best for all sides.  He's very selfless.  Treat him well :heart:  

Best for all sides.  His side included.

Weren't there stories about him possibly not moving to LA...or saying something about the team moving to LA being a bad thing?

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Best for all sides.  His side included.

Weren't there stories about him possibly not moving to LA...or saying something about the team moving to LA being a bad thing?

I haven't lived in San Diego for 17 years so I wasn't getting the local papers & water cooler discussions about the day to day.

Philip did fight hard to encourage the team to stay and NEVER disrespected the San Diego fans, but once the decision was made he never undercut it.  He simply adjusted to the new reality and took care of his family.  

He continued to live in San Diego until January.  He bought a high tech van and had a driver take him to LA and back each day.  He did his film study in the van.  They sold their home and moved to Florida.  I understand the entire family will move to Indianapolis with Rivers.

27 minutes ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

I imagine you'll see me around here a bit more again.  I've been pretty busy the last few years.

If I have to see him in another uniform, the Colts are the best fit and a team I have enjoyed for years!  If you have any questions just ask away.  I'll be frank and honest.  

I remember observing Peyton Manning start to throw lame duck passes a couple years before he left the game.  Philip isn't doing that but his throws are a fraction of a second slower than they have been.  He's got to adjust the tightness of the window he's used to throwing to, give himself a bit more margin before throwing the jump ball etc.  This seemed to start during the Green Bay game last year.  I remember that Rivers took a couple of really tough hits and perhaps he may have been playing injured the 2nd half of the year.  Overall, I do not believe that he's washed up or degrading in any serious way.

2018 was one of his best years ever in all around play.  I fully expected him to get another 2 or 3 year contract with LA and then retire to coach a high school football team for the rest of his life.  It's been his plan forever.  Sad, sad day for our family...

Thanks! It’s definitely tough when franchise icons have to move on.  Seeing Peyton in another team’s colors was difficult. But it was softened by what we thought we had found in Luck.  But we all know how that ended.  Smh. We have been there for sure so can sympathize with your feelings right now.  

Do you think Frank Reich and Siriani will be able to rein Rivers in enough to cut down on the interceptions and play efficiently within the Colts offense? Or does Rivers have a Farve like gunslinger mentality that Colts fans will just have to get good with?  Also what would you like to see the Chargers do at the QB position for next season?  

1 minute ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

I haven't lived in San Diego for 17 years so I wasn't getting the local papers & water cooler discussions about the day to day.

Philip did fight hard to encourage the team to stay and NEVER disrespected the San Diego fans, but once the decision was made he never undercut it.  He simply adjusted to the new reality and took care of his family.  

He continued to live in San Diego until January.  He bought a high tech van and had a driver take him to LA and back each day.  He did his film study in the van.  They sold their home and moved to Florida.  I understand the entire family will move to Indianapolis with Rivers.

He seems like an awesome guy in reality. Well spoken big hearted family man. Most people think he is cocky but I am glad he plays with an edge. 

23 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Wrong! Tom Brady left the Pats. I’m sure they didn’t want Brady to walk. 

They sure didn’t work very hard to keep him. He left over money. The Bucs offered much more than the Pats did. Good players leave their teams all the time, it doesn’t mean the player is no good. 

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The only guy that probably could do that for the Colts right now would have been Brees but he was never allowed to hit the market.  I'm on record for posting several times that this is a lousy year to need a QB.  I agree that a rookie wouldn't.  JB wouldn't but will likely play better next season than any rookie QB we draft.  Brady is evil (lol) and Rivers looks washed.  None of the free agent options were anything to rave over honestly.  Going younger would have given us our best chance. If I had to sign one...I actually prefered Bridgewater.  In my opinion the Panthers made the best QB move today but they aren't ready.  With the right weapons around him I think he would take the Colts farther than Rivers.   Brady landed in the best spot and has a chance to do something with the Tampa Bay offense.  

Curtis Dickey was the first Colts player I fell in love with.  I was 8.  lol 

Bill Brooks was mine.

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

Or... It’s a solution to win for the next few years while we find and groom our next long term quarterback. This is a one year deal so that Rivers can prove he can be here for a few more. I predict at least 3 years with Rivers under center. I don’t think we force the issue in the draft this year... and even if we did, they won’t throw that late first round (trade up) to 3rd round pick in without several years of grooming. This is a win now move. Ballard wants to win now. Irsay wants to win now. 

We aren’t done in free agency. This is a move that is followed up with some pieces that Rivers likely has serious input and pull in. 

Archived