Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree to terms with QB Philip Rivers (1 YR Deal)

csmopar

2 hours ago, Robertk said:

His negatives are pretty limited. He’s fiercely competitive and can run a little hot at times. Some people won’t like how animated he gets at times. 

I used to agree with this. In the past I thought he was way over the top on how much he would yell at his OL. Obviously you have seen him play a lot more than me, but the times I have seen him play over the last couple of years he seems to have chilled a lot. I can't remember who they were playing last year, but he was just getting hammered and not one time did he take it out on the OL. Andrew Luck should have had some of his OLs arrested for assault and battery for the beatings he took, but not one time did you ever see him barking at his OL. That should be handled by the coaches. I hope that is the direction Rivers is indeed heading.

Regardless I am still excited to have him for the positives you have mentioned. Like you said he is such a competitor and really wants to win. I think that's why his ints went up so much last year. He was pressing way too much thinking he had to do it on his own. I truly believe this fresh start in Indy will be a blessing for him and us. I think he is going to play very well for us.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

NONSENSE!

They said they were considering IF they could keep both Rivers and Brissett.

It wont happen tho...Brissett and Hoyer and their dollars are out of Indy.

Last year Rivers was second to Winston in INTs. He is 38. To me it makes sense to keep Brissett and his teammates like him. Time will tell but either way the Colts better improve @ WR position. 

18 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

NONSENSE!

Last year Rivers was second to Winston in INTs. He is 38. To me it makes sense to keep Brissett and his teammates like him. Time will tell but either way the Colts better improve @ WR position. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Welcome!  Interesting info.  I wonder how many others that were in SD are considering this path?

There are about 3 million of us. Hi.  Hope to see you at the game in Vegas!  I’ll be sporting a Rivers jersey which Raiders fans will hate. 

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He is iron man, but don't have to be a smarty pants to remember Rivers playing the Pats in the AFCCG a week after suffering an ACL and meniscus tear.

Did Rivers actually have an ACL tear?  Did he have the typical reconstructive surgery?  Maybe he had a significant injury.  I guess if it was at the end of the season where he rehabbed during the offseason I didn't remember it.

Life long Charger fan that put the team on life support when they moved to L.A.

I intended to stay a fan until Rivers was done there, and move on.

That time has come.

I understand the criticism he is taking here, but I really believe indy fans are going to see a resurgent player hitting on all cylinders. 

You guys are all aware of his O-line struggles, so not much to say there. He is a surgeon when he has time to throw.

What I dont know if you all are taking in to consideration is an outside factor that really impacted his play/comfort level with the offense.

The guy unwisely and selfishly kept his family in SD while commuting 2 and a half to 3 hours to LA for practice and games- 5-6 hours in the vehicle on game and practice days will burn a guy out, and it cant be good for his physical condition sitting prone in a recliner for upwards of 30 hours per week.

I cannot imagine a weekly schedule for an NFL qb stretched by 30 hours of commuting would lead to anything BUT burnout.

He phoned it in the last couple seasons and the Chargers didnt incentivize him much, so the split was needed.

I think you in Indy are going to see a focused and well rested version of Rivers and at the end of the season the talking heads are going to be calling Rivers/colts the steal of the season.

Not sure how people are on suicide watch over this signing.

1. Anyone we drafted wasn't going to be a year one starter anyway.

2. It would have been poor assett management to give up another high draft pick to trade for a Dalton or Carr. Likely would be at least a 2nd round pick. Considering we just gave up our 1st it wouldn't be wise to trade a 2nd as well.

3. Its a one year deal. Even if we can't move Brissett and Rivers is awful, they're both off the books at the end of the year.

4. Its about as perfect of a fit, if there is for Rivers to succeed. The familiarity with Rivers and the coaching staff is huge. Also we have a much better offensive line than the Chargers. We also have a ton of guys with RAC potential. 

28 minutes ago, airtime143 said:

Yes- he tore his acl against the colts in the playoffs.

Never missed a regular season game, and he did play the week after tearing it in a brace.

People didn’t hear much about it because it was kept top secret during the week before the AFCCG in New England, while he spent 24/7 in the training room. Came out afterward but by then everyone was focused on the SuperBowl with undefeated Patriots. 
He currently holds the record for consecutive starts. 

59 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Did Rivers actually have an ACL tear?  Did he have the typical reconstructive surgery?  Maybe he had a significant injury.  I guess if it was at the end of the season where he rehabbed during the offseason I didn't remember it.

Yes, in the divisional playoff game where they upset the Colts. 

"People aren't supposed to play on a torn ACL, either. Rivers did. On Jan. 13 in Indianapolis, he injured his right knee in the Chargers' upset win over the Colts in the AFC divisional playoffs. On Jan. 14, he had arthroscopic surgery to clean out the damaged cartilage. He was told all week leading up to the Jan. 20 AFC title game at New England that there was no way he could play. Somehow, Rivers did.

He had surgery Jan. 23 to repair the torn ACL. Less than four months later, he's back on the field -- and wearing a heavy brace on his right knee."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=williamson_bill&id=3379779

I believe Dr. David Chao performed the surgeries (being Chargers team doctor and an orthopedic surgeon) back then, thus he never talks about it in specifics (it's protected health information). Likewise he never talks about any LaDanian Tomlinson or other Charger players injuries either.

Now, being unaffiliated with any NFL (or others sports) team(s), Dr. Chao has twitter, podcasts, and sports shows spots where he talks about all athletes sports injuries, with a very high rate of diagnosis, from video replays.

A few things to keep in mind with Rivers INT this year. Their OC got fired. If you watched any of their games the play calling at end of games was really bad. Second they had a defensive minded head coach. Third don’t under estimate the effect of Gordon holding out. Ekeler is not Gordon and when you can’t run the balm that changes a lot.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Probably isn't going to happen, but I'm sort of wondering what you'd have to pay somebody like Jameis Winston on a 1 year deal to back Phillip Rivers up?  Don't take me too serious, but was just doing some thinking.  Seems like the league is starting to pinhole him as a backup.  Rivers, Winston, and a draft pick maybe.  Don't shoot me!  Wouldn't surprise me if Reich wanted to work with him in some capacity.  I mean Winston picked us apart last year.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/after-the-second-day-of-legal-tampering-has-jameis-winston-been-demoted-to-backup/

If I am the Bears or Pittsburgh or Washington I am all over Winston. If you have a "maybe" franchise qb (or one coming off injury) but aren't sure....let these guys battle it out. I suspect his asking price has come down a lot. Kiss of death would be Arians vote of no confidence in the kid. That said he would make a nice bargaining chip as well...next year the FA QB class won't be nearly the same and if you have a guy in house say on a 1+1 deal then a needy team may roll the dice and you get a draft pick out of him. Worst case maybe you get a compensatory pick if he walks. Kid has a talented arm that is for sure. Who knows if lightening strikes with him.

19 hours ago, stitches said:

In summary - I kind of feel like R2 or trade up to R1 QB is not very likely... and later QBs you cannot rely on to be franchise QBs... so... I guess... my point is - I have no idea when and where our future QB will come from. I think a ton of possibilities are open. 

Agreed

To me... If they don’t get a QB in round 3 or 4 , I would be surprised 

Chad Kelly is a player with potential. Just like a QB like Gordon

High on potential , but medium to low on chance of success

But.... to win the QB lottery.... you have to PLAY the QB lottery

Keep trying until you find the fit

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, that's what I meant.  Before the move to LA, he voiced his displeasure about the team moving to LA, and that he wasn't going to live there. 

That's not the same thing as supporting SD.  I'm not saying he didn't support SD in a lot of other ways, which is what I said, he was a good teammate and citizen, but saying that he was not going to move to LA undercuts LA more than it supports SD.

Since he moved to FL, and now to Indy, he's obviously not averse to moving, as long as its not to LA.

His statement and obvious dislike for LA as a place to live and raise kids is what prompted me to do a complete 180 on his likability.  Before, I used to think he was a complete jack wagon but then when he basically said in public that LA is no place for a person to live, I liked him immediately.

I believe you are reading into things and in essence quoting things that he didn't say or express.  I absolutely do not recall at all him saying anything at all denigrating LA.  Period.  Like reports of him "cussing" (which he never does) he also just isn't ever NEGATIVE.  

Basically, he had 8 kids at the time.  They were in a great school, had a great church, great friends, and they had just finished building their dream home in Northern San Diego County (Rancho Santa Fe).  It wasn't as much about disliking LA as about being able to continue the same quality of life for his large family and their support network.  He made the sacrifice rather than the family, which is what led to being driven each day so the family's life could stay consistent. 

If you find anything he said and post it, I'll read it and research it but I honestly don't believe it exists.  

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

A few things to keep in mind with Rivers INT this year. Their OC got fired. If you watched any of their games the play calling at end of games was really bad. Second they had a defensive minded head coach. Third don’t under estimate the effect of Gordon holding out. Ekeler is not Gordon and when you can’t run the balm that changes a lot.

Absolutely correct point of view.  I believe Rivers didn't get to finish out his career with the Chargers because of Melvin Gordon's holdout.  It started a cascade of many events (including O-Line injuries) that were too much for one player to overcome.  Ekeler did an outstanding job filling in, but when Gordon AND Ekeler are on the field the entire game is much more effective.

Derwin James injury in training camp changed the entire function of the defense.  He had 75 tackles in his rookie year and made everyone on the D better.   Our D really dropped in turnovers they generated.

2019  OFFENSE:  Tds = 12 Running, 24 passing, 1 return, 0 defensive. 37 TDS.  TURNOVER -17

2018  OFFENSE:  Tds + 16 Running, 32 passing, 1 return, 2 defensive  51 TDS.  TURNOVER +1

2018  DIFFERENCE IN TDS: CHARGERS 51, opponents 38.

Almost every loss was by 7 points or less.  There's a reason we fired the OC mid-season!

5 hours ago, stitches said:

This is the new version of "Jacoby needs more time to develop". Sure, the Colts think so highly of CK that they got a 38 year old to start in CK's 4th year in the league(zero starts so far). I bet he just needs a little bit more time before you even try him in the league. Like year 6-7 is the sweet spot. He just needs a bit more time behind the likes of Brissett, Hoyer, Kevin Hogan, Osweiler, Keenum, Siemian, Paxton Lynch, 38 year old Rivers...

Oh please. Let's talk real. Sure you or I don't KNOW for sure what they are thinking and what the plan is, but we can draw some conclusions and have some informed guesses by what CK has done so far in his career and what type of QBs have been in front of him on the depth chart and what decisions his teams have made when they had the chance to start him( i.e. to put literally anybody else but him on the field)... Is it possible the 5th year is the time when CK finally becomes a franchise QB after not getting any starts for the first 4 years? I guess... It's possible. But how likely is this? When was the last time something like this happened?

Keep preaching! Your opinion is not any better then mine are anybody else's. I just can't understand some peoples dislike for the guy. He's never been given a CHANCE!!! But by all means, keep spewing your opinions as facts!!!

1 hour ago, lincolndefan said:

Keep preaching! Your opinion is not any better then mine are anybody else's. I just can't understand some peoples dislike for the guy. He's never been given a CHANCE!!! But by all means, keep spewing your opinions as facts!!!

JB was given 2 Seasons worth of chances.   He has not improved.  Ballard and Irsay seem to agree.

1 hour ago, lincolndefan said:

Do I feel bad for him yes. Do I feel bad all the injuries happened. Yes. I feel bad he was thrown into two bad situations. I like the guy. But when your given the kind of opportunity he was you have to show you can handle it. He didn’t step up. That is what great players do. 

3 hours ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

I believe you are reading into things and in essence quoting things that he didn't say or express.  I absolutely do not recall at all him saying anything at all denigrating LA.  Period.  Like reports of him "cussing" (which he never does) he also just isn't ever NEGATIVE.  

Basically, he had 8 kids at the time.  They were in a great school, had a great church, great friends, and they had just finished building their dream home in Northern San Diego County (Rancho Santa Fe).  It wasn't as much about disliking LA as about being able to continue the same quality of life for his large family and their support network.  He made the sacrifice rather than the family, which is what led to being driven each day so the family's life could stay consistent. 

If you find anything he said and post it, I'll read it and research it but I honestly don't believe it exists.  

I don't know that he said anything.  I think it was "reported" that he was not keen about management moving the team, in part, because he did not want to move to LA.

And what you said about him taking a car service to LA for work, that tends to corroborate the notion he didn't move to LA, because he didn't want to.

And the fact he moved to FL, then will move to Indy very shortly, supports the notion that he did not commute to LA from SD because he was opposed to moving anywhere, it was because he did not want to specifically move to LA.

So when I responded to the comment about LAC moving on from him, it seemed like it could have been a bit of a two way street.  That he had little heart for continuing his relationship with the team, at least not as much heart as if they were still the SD Chargers.

Not sure why that thought seems controversial.

As far as cursing.  I'm sure he doesn't.  There are many "hotheaded" or hyper Christians who display the personality of a jack wagon but are not actually that way.

Anecdotally, if you've ever watched the show "Counting Cars", Danny the owner runs this Vampire based theme to his hot rod business.  A reality show. The guy is an Ordained Minister.  Not sure what the qualifications are to be an ordained minister in Las Vegas NV, but he has never cursed once on his show.  No bleeping out, he simply doesn't curse.  Not even an OMG.  I know a few people who are actually kind inside but have a somewhat gruff outward appearance or conduct.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know that he said anything.  I think it was "reported" that he was not keen about management moving the team, in part, because he did not want to move to LA.

And what you said about him taking a car service to LA for work, that tends to corroborate the notion he didn't move to LA, because he didn't want to.

And the fact he moved to FL, then will move to Indy very shortly, supports the notion that he did not commute to LA from SD because he was opposed to moving anywhere, it was because he did not want to specifically move to LA.

So when I responded to the comment about LAC moving on from him, it seemed like it could have been a bit of a two way street.  That he had little heart for continuing his relationship with the team, at least not as much heart as if they were still the SD Chargers.

Not sure why that thought seems controversial.

I will leave off the discussion here.  Thanks for the chat.

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

I disagree about waiting for next year.  Ballard doesn't strike me as a type to kick the can down the road.  He's got something in mind for the draft THIS year. Who or what that maybe, remains to be seen. But I would say the odds of us taking a developmental prospect QB this year in rds 2-3 are probably 6:1 in favor.

I don’t know why anyone would think he’s set on someone this year when he traded away his first round, and has repeatedly said, this year, that he wouldn’t force the issue. His track record of telling you what he’s about to do has been pretty remarkable. That doesn’t tell me he’s bringing a qb in this draft. Besides that. If rivers works well this season, he could have upwards of 6 years left of good football. We’re going to throw that out for a 2nd round draft pick? Doubtful. Reports show we entertained trading for Foles too... that doesn’t sound like a front office that is planning on finding a franchise qb this draft. 

3 hours ago, lincolndefan said:

He was given plenty... he didn’t impress very many. I was his biggest supporter coming into the season. Not a fan. At all.

48 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t know why anyone would think he’s set on someone this year when he traded away his first round, and has repeatedly said, this year, that he wouldn’t force the issue. His track record of telling you what he’s about to do has been pretty remarkable. That doesn’t tell me he’s bringing a qb in this draft. Besides that. If rivers works well this season, he could have upwards of 6 years left of good football. We’re going to throw that out for a 2nd round draft pick? Doubtful. Reports show we entertained trading for Foles too... that doesn’t sound like a front office that is planning on finding a franchise qb this draft. 

You’re most likely correct, but I can’t help but think if that was Ballard’s plan, he’d given Rivers at least a 2 year.

On 3/17/2020 at 5:00 PM, CanuckColt said:

NONSENSE!

Actually its not nonsense .  its what they said.   Both talked specifically with Ballard and he said JB is staying.   

If that is not true then Ballard was either lying or changed his mind .  Not the media guys both reported the same thing not a big enough story to lie about 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

You’re most likely correct, but I can’t help but think if that was Ballard’s plan, he’d given Rivers at least a 2 year.

Why, when the incentive to perform is in the 1 year guaranteed deal? It likely was a 2 year deal by understanding. You show us how good you are and what type of leader you are, and we’ll give you another good contract. 

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Waiting on next year would be dumb. If Rivers sucks or decides to retire we would have to throw a rookie in to the fire in 2021. This is the time to draft and have hm ready when Rivers is done. 

Imagine Rivers is excited. They really didn’t even get home games in LA.

90% of the “home” fans were cheering for the opposing team. Can you imagine how demoralizing that would be as a player. It’s almost worse than a road game.  I think he will thrive in Indy. 

52 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

90% of the “home” fans were cheering for the opposing team. Can you imagine how demoralizing that would be as a player. It’s almost worse than a road game.  I think he will thrive in Indy. 

Yep. It easily could of contributed to everything that happened to that team. The year before I think the chargers were close to undefeated on the road. They should of stayed in SD.

We do need to get him some more weapons. He likes to throw up 50/50 balls so we need a big WR. I hope funchess comes back so we don’t have to totally rely on a rookie. 

I think you guys are going to be pleasantly surprised about Rivers.    The problem with Rivers last year was more mental than anything else:  partially due to our crappy oline from last year and the fact that we had no running game, but there were other things going on.   He had a few horrendous games where you were wondering what the hell was he thinking;  you can ignore those.   Watch him the first week against you guys, then watch him the last week of the season against K.C. in Arrowhead.  It was a must win for KC and Rivers was a reasonable fascimile of his old self...gave KC a fright.   Not the vintage Rivers, but once again someone who has not dropped off that much.  He's had crappy Olines most of this decade, and when given something half way decent he has had big years.    Reich had a lot of success with him in 2014:  Rivers was having an MVP type season that year, then the Oline crumbled (they had 5 starting centers that year) and he got the hell beaten out him - played with a bulging disc in his back the last 6-7 games.   Opponents hate Rivers, but his team mates love the guy.  Rivers made a lot of bad  Chargers teams competitive this decade.  He left because he literally ran out of time here:  the owner was peeved that he didn't support the move with more enthusiasm, the head coach made it clear from day one that Rivers was not his type of qb, and they aren't attracting any fans in Los Angeles.  Every game was basically an away game.   I think the whole situation kind of got to him.

If the Indy interior can consistently create a nice pocket for him - that will be a weird thing for Rivers fans to see.  He'll carve up defenses.

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

being logical will get you lynched around here.  

27 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yep. It easily could of contributed to everything that happened to that team. The year before I think the chargers were close to undefeated on the road. They should of stayed in SD.

We do need to get him some more weapons. He likes to throw up 50/50 balls so we need a big WR. I hope funchess comes back so we don’t have to totally rely on a rookie. 

Gandy-Golden = steal of the draft.

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Did you stop and think this Buckner deal was just to good to pass up. Or maybe Herbert or Love isn’t their target. Maybe their target is a second round guy of late first like Eason. Eason actually fits with the build the oline mentality Ballard has. Or maybe he doesn’t like Love enough at 13 but would be ok to trade up if he falls. Trading that pick doesn’t say much. He could even have agent info and has been told love won’t go that high. 

Perspective from someone who watched every Chargers game over the past 15+ years, for anyone who is interested:

The Chargers finished 2018 with the 29th ranked OL.  They brought the same line into 2019, but lost the best players on the line to injury.  They weren't just bad, they were a complete train wreck.

They also let Tyrell Williams go, leaving Travis Benjamin as their only speed receiver, who also got put on IR.

The 2019 Chargers also became the first team in the super bowl era to go 4 straight games with less than 40 rushing yards.

So, you have an old school pocket passer, with no time to throw, nobody getting open, and a historically bad running game.  Oh, and Lynn fired his OC halfway through the season to save his own butt.

My point in all of this, is that Rivers is not washed up or deteriorating physically.  The vast majority of his picks happened because he was forced to throw before any routes could develop.  Most of his throws ended up being lobs to spots on the field, hoping the receiver could beat the defender to the ball.  Sometimes Allen/Williams got it, sometimes it got picked.

Some say he should just take the sacks instead, and I get that.  But on the flip side, when you're getting late in the game down two scores, you need to start taking shots...can't keep punting it away.

The Chargers defense was also vastly overrated last year.  Good total yardage stats, but that was due to slow play style limiting possessions.  They finished around 20th in yards and points given up per possession.  They were also dead last in the NFL in takeaways.

If Rivers gets time to throw in Indy, he could very well have the best season of his career, which would almost certainly put the Colts in the hunt come playoff time.  I know there are skeptics, but this was an A+ move by the Colts.

19 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Perspective from someone who watched every Chargers game over the past 15+ years, for anyone who is interested:

The Chargers finished 2018 with the 29th ranked OL.  They brought the same line into 2019, but lost the best players on the line to injury.  They weren't just bad, they were a complete train wreck.

They also let Tyrell Williams go, leaving Travis Benjamin as their only speed receiver, who also got put on IR.

The 2019 Chargers also became the first team in the super bowl era to go 4 straight games with less than 40 rushing yards.

So, you have an old school pocket passer, with no time to throw, nobody getting open, and a historically bad running game.  Oh, and Lynn fired his OC halfway through the season to save his own butt.

My point in all of this, is that Rivers is not washed up or deteriorating physically.  The vast majority of his picks happened because he was forced to throw before any routes could develop.  Most of his throws ended up being lobs to spots on the field, hoping the receiver could beat the defender to the ball.  Sometimes Allen/Williams got it, sometimes it got picked.

Some say he should just take the sacks instead, and I get that.  But on the flip side, when you're getting late in the game down two scores, you need to start taking shots...can't keep punting it away.

The Chargers defense was also vastly overrated last year.  Good total yardage stats, but that was due to slow play style limiting possessions.  They finished around 20th in yards and points given up per possession.  They were also dead last in the NFL in takeaways.

If Rivers gets time to throw in Indy, he could very well have the best season of his career, which would almost certainly put the Colts in the hunt come playoff time.  I know there are skeptics, but this was an A+ move by the Colts.

Thanks and you watched every game, but don't worry some Rivers hater will still disagree with you in here and say he is washed up lmao . That is the way this forum is sometimes. I think Rivers will be good here with the O.Line we have and run game we have. Our defense got much better too with the Buckner move. Reich and Rivers know each other well so the chemistry should be great between those 2.

9 hours ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

This shows much of what you're saying regarding the picks. Many of them(not all) were due to pressure he was getting.  

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/3/18/21185736/film-room-breaking-down-each-of-philip-rivers-2019-interceptions

I agree with you.

Archived