Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree to terms with QB Philip Rivers (1 YR Deal)

csmopar

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Shocked it’s only one year. I don’t think Buckner and Rivers equal a Super Bowl run. 

No.  Nothing about this is about the SB.  This is about replacing incompetence with competence, being able to field a reasonable team.  That's it.  An NFL team has to be able to throw the ball.  

Colts still have enough draft capital to trade up for Jordan Love.

Brissett is more likely than not getting traded to a new team. It's really difficult to see him and Rivers together, but stranger things have happened.

1 minute ago, MTC said:

Brissett is more likely than not getting traded to a new team. It's really difficult to see him and Rivers together, but stranger things have happened.

I will be both pleased and shocked if we can trade JB without paying another team draft capital to take his contract off our hands.

Just now, MTC said:

We could keep him but I don’t see it working with the locker room.  This signals Ballard knows who he wants in this draft and will go get him.  I guess it could mean that rivers only wanted one year but I think this is more Ballard knowing whatcha QB he wants. 

3 minutes ago, MTC said:

I think he'd be a great fit in Chicago.   They don't need an MVP level QB.  They need someone who won't turn the ball over and won't cost them games while the defense suffocates opponents.  Same goes for Minny.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

No I am talking QB. Whether that is moving back up into the first or taking a guy like Gordon or Eason. We will see. Gordon with that quick release I think fits Reichs offense really well.

Oh, when you said "go get him" I thought you were referring to trading up into the mid/lower first round to get a targeted player.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

He's too expensive for a two year deal at age 38, IMO.  One year at a time.

IMO , a 2 year deal is not much different than this one year deal.

The guy is 38 and no way the Colts would have put guaranteed money into 2021. The one year deal is actually (agin IMO) a benefit to Rivers. If he has a stellar year , he can negotiate a good deal for 2021. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Yeah, that's not out of the question IMO. 

One more question could this 1 year deal for Rivers show more confidence in Kelly.  I kinda think that Rivers would be the perfect mentor for him (If he wants to be).  They are both close to Reich.  What are your thoughts.  I'm interested in yours particularly.

3 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

One more question could this 1 year deal for Rivers show more confidence in Kelly.  I kinda think that Rivers would be the perfect mentor for him (If he wants to be).  They are both close to Reich.  What are your thoughts.  I'm interested in yours particularly.

No. I've been telling you guys. Stop this. Decisions about the very top of our roster - the starting QB of the Colts, are NOT done with much or any consideration about Chad Kelly. 

Cutting/trading BOTH Hoyer and Brissett might show more confidence in Kelly being able to be backup QB. 

7 minutes ago, Calmack said:

This all but confirms we're picking a QB with one of our 2nds right? Given that he was only signed for one year...

Not sure about that, might be a 1 year deal, to see if we like each other, and does Rivers have the desire to play past 1 year going to a new team and all. Certainley going to be intursteting to see how this plays out. I do like Rivers and the upgrade at the QB spot. Not sure JB is gone yet, Hoyer IMO is gone.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO Hoyer or Brissett or BOTH are gone. 

I think we probably let JB go find a chance to compete for a starting job because he has been a good teammate for us..but honestly if we kept them what would be the difference in paying AL 25 million to not play for us last year and have these guys on the roster and paying Rivers 25 million and actually play?

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I hated this move before and I hate it now that I see it's for 25 mil for one year :facepalm:

How. We gave Luck 25 million and he didn't even play...you think giving Rivers 25 million to play is worse than last year. I couldn't even stomach watching the Colts play most of last season....at least with Rivers we will get a qb that knows what he is doing.

Archived