Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree to terms with QB Philip Rivers (1 YR Deal)

csmopar

7 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

It's only a slight upgrade and that's arguable.  This guy is 38 and declining.  Threw 20 friggin interceptions last year and is as mobile as a rock under pressure.  

It's not arguable. Even if he plays as bad as he did last year, he's still considerable upgrade over Brissett. Also... even though he's not very mobile, he's still better than Brissett at avoiding sacks. 

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's not arguable. Even if he plays as bad as he did last year, he's still considerable upgrade over Brissett. Also... even though he's not very mobile, he's still better than Brissett at avoiding sacks. 

lmao

I hope he is as much of an upgrade as you think he will be.  I'm not moved by him at all.  Fortunately, the Colts are only saddled by him for one year. 

1 yr deal is ideal. Gives us an evaluation of him. Possibly resign, maybe a 3rd comp pick if he leaves. Sounds like he wants to be here.

He could potentially play another 5-6 yrs like Brady? Who knows?

He will not be asked to play hero ball, like he has been for the Chargers.

I fully expect his INT's to be cut in half this year, strictly on the basis he doesn't have to do it all. Will have great protection and run game.

Really Going to be exciting. Hines is going to have a monster year. 80 catches.

Never know with Ballard. He could feel we are there. Sign a couple more FA. Trade both 2nds and next years 1st to get into top 10. Never know.

3 hours ago, runthepost said:

JB is gone now :rock:

What other team wants that contract?  Who you going to trade him to?  New England?  Chicago?  He only has one more year left on his contract.  Let him stick around and compete with Rivers.  Ballard says he is all about competition at all positions.  So if Rivers is so much better then it shouldn't be a problem. Worst case, Colts have an experienced backup QB for another year...either way.  

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Per Luis Reddick, 2019 Rivers made mistake after mistake. 

• - Doesnt think he's gonna make everyone else better.

- His physical abilities has gone done.

This is just a big name free agent signing.  They tend to go sideways more often than not.  That's why Ballard typically shies away from them.  Fortunately, the Colts are only on the hook for one year. 

Oh fudge!  Heck Yeah!  Gol-ly!  Dangit, I'm hyped!  Shoot, this friggin move is pretty stinkin good IMO, dag-gummit!

I've had a personal dislike for that son of a gun as an opponent for years every since he got into it with Colts fans in that playoff game in Indy.

But I love him as a Colt.  He has the kind of competitive fire I want in my QB.  And his approach to cussing and trash-talking is just phenomenal.  :D

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Oh fudge!  Heck Yeah!  Gol-ly!  Dangit, I'm hyped!  Shoot, this friggin move is pretty stinkin good IMO, dag-gummit!

I've had a personal dislike for that son of a gun as an opponent for years every since he got into it with Colts fans in that playoff game in Indy.

But I love him as a Colt.  He has the kind of competitive fire I want in my QB.  And his approach to cussing and trash-talking is just phenomenal.  :D

Well, I was not for it, but after considering, I am on board. Thanks fer joining me and moseyin on over!

3 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

One more question could this 1 year deal for Rivers show more confidence in Kelly.  I kinda think that Rivers would be the perfect mentor for him (If he wants to be).  They are both close to Reich.  What are your thoughts.  I'm interested in yours particularly.

Rivers is a tremendous coach on the field and mentor in the QB room.  Always has been and can't imagine he doesn't know how important that role will be for his new team.  

I think the 1 year deal is best for your team and if Philip wants to play another year after and still is showing the skills it won't be hard to come to an agreement.

The Colts have always been my 2nd favorite team.  Guess I'll be watching a lot more games this year keeping up with how you guys do.  He's a really good man with a lot left in him.  Last year was a freak year for the Chargers and that took him down with them.

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

So you are hoping that Rivers can return to a particular form from years past? The reason why the Colts have coach Frank Reich is because of Rivers throwing the way he did years past. jmho. 

At least Brady knows what it takes. And has some kind of championship presence/pedigree. Rivers....rivers....rivers..... 

Phillip is a Ex-Pro bowler or better version of Ryan Fitzpatrick or Winston. Phillip is not in his prime.

Brady is a product of his 20 year system nothing more doubt he does much in Tampa... Brady is well past his too what did you suggest keep the bum that led us nowhere last year so glad your not the GM...

33 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

This is just a big name free agent signing.  They tend to go sideways more often than not.  That's why Ballard typically shies away from them.  Fortunately, the Colts are only on the hook for one year. 

It's funny Luis Reddick was the only person that didn't like the move out of everyone else on that show. The other 5 people talking about it loved it and said it made total sense. Luis Reddick also said Mitchell Trubisky would be a great NFL QB and he picked the Bears to win the SB last year before the season started. I put zero stock in what he thinks. 

I don't think some people realize how important it is to have a good to great O.Line for a QB to perform well. Rivers Line sucked last year. Ours is great.

32 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

It just kicks the can down the road in building the team for the long haul. Looks like a desperate move to win now and more importantly sell season tickets. History will show this year was a waste.

Just wanted to say that you got a heck of a QB. Not only a great guy, but IMO someone that still has a lot left in the tank. He may be a statue outside the pocket but he was probably the best inside the pocket. No one did as much with less like Phil did when there was a cluttered pocket. That skill obviously declined last year. But with Nelson and Kelly, I see him feasting again. The guy is second to Peyton and probably tied with Brees in terms of mental processing ability. He ran Peyton's offense for a while in SD when McCoy was the HC there after all.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will make the playoffs this year. It won't be a waste.

And the year after bust. Anything short of a super bowl just wastes a year as the need for a quarterback will be there. If he wasn’t done the Chargers wouldn’t have let him go after 17 years. They probably know more than we hope he can play at a high level. Ballard has lost it on this one as it makes no long term sense in building a young club with an aging quarterback.

I dont know if I agree that the Colts will be drafting a QB this year..... I think they may target next year on a  "all in"  to move as close to #1 as they can get with draft picks for whoever they think the "guy" is..... too soon to tell at this point,

in related news but totally different:  I am luke warm on Rivers, hope he warms my heart cause right now, I'm not convinced he has enough juice to move the needle for me...

3 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

And the year after bust. Anything short of a super bowl just wastes a year as the need for a quarterback will be there. If he wasn’t done the Chargers wouldn’t have let him go after 17 years. They probably know more than we hope he can play at a high level. Ballard has lost it on this one as it makes no long term sense in building a young club with an aging quarterback.

We still have the draft. What QB would get us to the SB? We wanted a short term option to groom the future. 

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will make the playoffs this year. It won't be a waste.

Is that now good enough?  We used to aspire for more around here.  Signing Rivers doesn't make this team a Super Bowl contender.  He is a known choker.  The only team he has consistently owned in the post season is Indy...sadly.  He's here for a year and then it's back to the drawing board.  

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Is that now good enough?  We used to aspire for more around here.  Signing Rivers doesn't make this team a Super Bowl contender.  He is a known choker.  He's here for a year and then it's back to the drawing board.  

The draft hasn't even happened yet. Ballard still has 3 great picks in the 34, 44, and 75. This team can get even better. Our defense has already improved by just getting Buckner alone.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Yes, but Rivers is a better player and gives us a better chance to compete now. 

We did need upgrade at DT... but... this doesn't mean he should have given up 13 for it. There were plenty of great upgrades over Hunt that went for much cheaper in FA and we wouldn't have lost 13. IMO Ballard truly loves Buckner and he thinks this is worth it and he's an essential part of the plan. This just doesn't seem like a ho-hum addition just to quiet the boo-birds. This seems like a very targeted move that makes sense in the grand plan for Ballard, not just some PR-stunt. 

Well... lets wait and see.. 

I'm just looking at the big picture.  Our two biggest needs DT and QB, have been filled before FA really started. 

We got a 1st round quality player with our pick 13, so the trade doesn't take away from anything we would have done in the draft (DT wise).  The rest of the draft now proceeds as if we took Kinlaw at 13. 

We can let our rookie QB sit behind the vet like some were planning on doing anyway, except now the vet is a lot more competent and someone the rookie can actually learn behind.

We solved a lot of problems the last two days, now its on to pick 34.

These moves have nothing to to with us contending for the SB this year or next year, IMO.  

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The draft hasn't even happened yet. Ballard still has 3 great picks in the 34, 44, and 75. This team can get even better. Our defense has already improved by just getting Buckner alone.

I loved yesterday with the Buckner signing.  But today let a lot of wind out of those sails for me.  Look...when I see Rivers wearing a Colts helmet I will root for his success and hope to be proven wrong.  But my gut tells me that Rivers is washed.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You cannot share joy to those who are fans of winning.....rather than a fan of the team. They are looking for different results. :dunno: 

Last year was an anomaly year for Philip.  I have watched every game he's played for our team and though I love him as a player I try to watch with a very clear eye.  

1.  This year was a freaky year for the Chargers.  We had terrible injuries to the O-Line (that wasn't exactly top rated to begin with).  I believe we had 20+ different configurations.   The last bad interception year Philip had the O-line injuries were even worse.  His biggest fault is trying to put the whole team on his back and make it happen.  I'm guessing, but something like 6 interceptions were in the last few games.  They were last minute in games where we were so far behind we had no chance, but he darn near pulled it off.

2.  Melvin Gordon's useless, ill-advised hold out never let our running game get rolling.  Rivers can throw the heck out of the ball, but really shines in a balanced offense where the D has to respect both sides of the ball.  He never complains or makes excuses.  He never throws a team mate under the bus or grumbles.  He NEVER QUITS.  If anything goes right he spreads the praise to everyone but himself.  When it goes wrong he puts it on his own shoulders.

3.  His arm is still good.  He threw for 4615 yards last season, 4308 in 2018 and 4515 in 2017.  Protect him and give him anyone with talent to throw to and he'll figure them out very quickly.  His life time completion rate has always been around 65% and he won't hesitate to throw the ball away when he needs to.  His interceptions have almost always been trying to make the game winning plays.  

4.  His best years have always come after really tough years.  He went from 21 interceptions in 2015 down to 10.  That's because he spends a lot of time in the film room after the season tearing apart his own game.  You'll get the benefit of that dedication and ruthless self evaluation.

I wish him the best, and that he finally get the ring he's been denied thus far. 

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I loved the yesterday with the Buckner signing.  But today let alot of wind out of those sails.  Look...when I see Rivers wearing a Colts helmet I will root for his success and hope to be proven wrong.  But my gut tells me that Rivers is washed.

It's an upgrade over JB. What QB would get us to the SB this year in your opinion? A rookie sure wouldn't. 

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

You cannot share joy to those who are fans of winning.....rather than a fan of the team. They are looking for different results. :dunno: 

Speak for yourself.  I became a Colts fan in 1980 and am still here.   The 80's were no joke. That's when the Colts were at the bottom of the bottom.  Where you around back then?  

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I understand the main goal is to win the SB but only 1 team does it every year. Making the playoffs and watching a good/fun product is not a waste IMO. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Speak for yourself.  I became a Colts fan in 1980 and am still here.   The 80's were no joke. That's when the Colts were at the bottom of the bottom.  Where you around back then?  

I have been a fan since 1984 so we are close in years. The 80's were bad until we got Dickerson.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

1 yr deal is ideal. Gives us an evaluation of him. Possibly resign, maybe a 3rd comp pick if he leaves. Sounds like he wants to be here.

He could potentially play another 5-6 yrs like Brady? Who knows?

Its possible.

IIRC, Rivers has never had a significant injury.  Some smarty pants will look up stats to prove me wrong, but I think he's pretty much been an iron man.  

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Its possible.

IIRC, Rivers has never had a serious injury.  Some smarty pants will look up stats to prove me wrong, but I think he's pretty much been an iron man.  

What is funny is his stats weren't that bad last year except for the INT's. He threw for 4600 yards and 23 TD's. He did have 20 INT's but some people wanted Winston he threw 30!

34 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Using a short term vet QB has been done for years and it will continue to be done.  All young QBs don't have to play right away and there's plenty of times when they have played early and it was a detriment.  Don't be so stuck on having all young players all the time. Sometimes its good for a young guy to have a redshirt year.  Especially when you're picking outside the first round like we probably will.

Archived