Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are y'all still turn a blind eye to these coaches or what?

VaAllDay757

Just now, DougDew said:

I know.  And the rest of the team has been exposed, including starting last year's backup QB.

IMO, it shows just how much Luck carried the team.  I think other teams that have elite QBs also have several elite players at some positions.

Brady misses Gronk.  The drop off in NE offense is being blamed entirely on Brady.

Any team built around the QB is going to struggle when the QB isn't playing. 

Just now, DougDew said:

Last spring we had no 1st rounder.  Its hard to have an impact from a first round player when you don't have a first round player.

If you're saying that it was a good decision for the future, that's another thing.

I'm saying the reason we are 6 and 7 today, is because we have not gotten much impact from the capital you're supposed to get impact from.

I think people do not want to admit that the talent is not deep on this team.  Everyone jumped all over Grigson, for good reason, but are willing to give Ballard a pass.  In  "Ballard we trust" is all I kept hearing.  Brissett is an average qb and the talent on this team, or lack of, is not able to win games giv3n his abilities. Once Luck retired, I said 2 things and not all that profound. It would be an evaluation year for Brissett to see if he is "the guy" moving forward. Secondly , Luck hid a lot of warts. Ballard would not b able to hide behind Luck's skirt anymore.  This team is what it is and I think we r truly seeing how talented it really is. Sadly, it does not appear to be as talented as many posters  and the media originally thought.

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The point I was making the point that the guy who would have probably been the first round pick has had no impact this season so I think the Colts did the right thing in not taking him.  I think Rock has had more of an impact than Sweat has this year.  

Like i just said i agree the misses of the Grigson era are still being felt.

No, you're not agreeing.  You're passively arguing. 

If you want to still get stuck on GMs, the way I see it is that its the nonimpactful investment of capital from both GMs we've had since AC was drafted.

Polian doesn't count because nearly all of his last players would be retired by now.  That's how long its been.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No, you're not agreeing.  You're passively arguing. 

If you want to still get stuck on GMs, the way I see it is that its the nonimpactful investment of capital from both GMs we've had since AC was drafted.

Polian doesn't count because nearly all of his last players would be retired by now.  That's how long its been.

Who are you to tell me what I am doing?  I am not arguing,  you keep talking about the last four picks.  That would be Kelly (Grigson pick), Hooker, Nelson, and the trade.  Then you talk about how the problem goes back beyond that and I am AGREEING with you that it does.  Those were Grigson’s picks and like I keep saying those misses are still being felt.  That’s where those extra guys would have come from.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Who are you to tell me what I am doing?  I am not arguing,  you keep talking about the last four picks.  That would be Kelly (Grigson pick), Hooker, Nelson, and the trade.  Then you talk about how the problem goes back beyond that and I am AGREEING with you that it does.  Those were Grigson’s picks and like I keep saying those misses are still being felt.  That’s where those extra guys would have come from.  

I thought you were singling out those years specifically since you chose to name names and only mentioned Grigson.  Apologies if you were not.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well like I said I’ve been disappointed in Hooker.  

Ok.  One of the reasons I didn't not mention any player or GMs name is because I'm not trying to affix blame.  We can look at any decision and reason that it was the best thing to do at the time.

I was trying to keep it at the 30,000 foot level and just look at the amount of impact we've had from the 1st round over the past 6 years since Luck and its been disappointing as a whole, and before that.  Maybe even the 2nd round too but I haven't thought about it that much.

Edit: As an aside, I'm not disappointed in Hooker.  He's playing like I expected, but has little impact because FS have to play forward sometimes, or a two deep zone, taking his potential impactfulness away simply by scheme.  I'm disappointed we drafted that position so high, because the realities are that a FS has to do other things besides sit back there and wait for a long ball.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Hooker is playing fine.   

Maybe it’s Willis that’s out of position then and he covering for it but dating back to the Texans game there have been issues with him taking what looks like bad angles and not helping over the top which has lead to more big plays.  Since he normally plays that position I assume it’s him but it could be the rookie safety too.  

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Ok.  One of the reasons I didn't not mention any player or GMs name is because I'm not trying to affix blame.  We can look at any decision and reason that it was the best thing to do at the time.

I was trying to keep it at the 30,000 foot level and just look at the amount of impact we've had from the 1st round over the past 6 years since Luck and its been disappointing as a whole, and before that.  Maybe even the 2nd round too but I haven't thought about it that much.

Yeah I am not trying to say it’s all Grigson’s fault either.  However, rather than revisiting each of those picks it’s just easier to say the Grigson misses because he was the GM who made the picks.  Nothing more nothing less.  

Id agree if you look at their first round picks since Luck outside of Kelly, Nelson, and, depending on how you feel about Hooker the others have killed them.  That’s not exactly breaking news.  It’s a large part of why Grigson got fired.  I am not saying it’s all Grigson’s fault either.  I get your point it doesn’t matter if Irsay, Grigson, Polian, or Ballard took them those misses are hurting.  

My only objection is that I do think Kelly and Nelson have had an impact.  It just comes at a position, in-tearer offensive line, that isn’t sexy.  So people don’t think of them as impact positions because they can be great but if someone else doesn’t do their job their effort goes for not.  It’s not like a WR who can make a spectacular catch on his own.  

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I am not trying to say it’s all Grigson’s fault either.  However, rather than revisiting each of those picks it’s just easier to say the Grigson misses because he was the GM who made the picks.  Nothing more nothing less.  

Id agree if you look at their first round picks since Luck outside of Kelly, Nelson, and, depending on how you feel about Hooker the others have killed them.  That’s not exactly breaking news.  It’s a large part of why Grigson got fired.  I am not saying it’s all Grigson’s fault either.  I get your point it doesn’t matter if Irsay, Grigson, Polian, or Ballard took them those misses are hurting.  

My only objection is that I do think Kelly and Nelson have had an impact.  It just comes at a position, in-tearer offensive line, that isn’t sexy.  So people don’t think of them as impact positions because they can be great but if someone else doesn’t do their job their effort goes for not.  It’s not like a WR who can make a spectacular catch on his own.  

If you told me that we could build a great oline by stacking it with mid to high first rounders across each position, then I would expect the team to be able to run the ball whenever it wanted to even when the opposing defense was stacking the box. 

I don't think that is reality.  So I'm saying a team needs to have elite talent in several positions throughout the field. 

I simply don't see that with the Colts roster, especially the game-day roster we've had active the past few weeks.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

The game is highly competitive.  There is a fine line between winning and losing.

If you told me that we could build a great oline by stacking it with mid to high first rounders across each position, then I would expect the team to be able to run the ball whenever it wanted to even when the opposing defense was stacking the box. 

I don't think that is reality.  So I'm saying a team needs to have elite talent in several positions throughout the field. 

I simply don't see that with the Colts roster, especially the game-day roster we've had active the past few weeks.

I agree with the later.  They clearly still have more building to do.

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe it’s Willis that’s out of position then and he covering for it but dating back to the Texans game there have been issues with him taking what looks like bad angles and not helping over the top which has lead to more big plays.  Since he normally plays that position I assume it’s him but it could be the rookie safety too.  

Flus has been playing Hooker close to the LOS.    In not sure why 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Flus has been playing Hooker close to the LOS.    In not sure why 

That’s true but there are times he’s been back there and taking a bad angle or just flat out covered wrong or been hesitant in getting back in coverage.  Normally when he does these things it’s lead to a huge play for the other team.  Maybe that’s just him playing a position that’s sorta like being lineman.  He can play well all game but one play and all people notice is the one play.  Maybe it’s just a badly timed slump.  Maybe he’s hurt more than we realize but I just know over the past three weeks when he shows up it’s normally been for bad things.

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Willis,  Ya sin., banagu

I am not giving up on Banagu in anyway but I actually expected more out of him when Turey went down.  With that said he’s a rookie and a bit of a project.  I don’t think he’s close to a finished product yet.

ill add one more to your list.  Tell has done really well at moving to corner for a rookie.  I am excited to see what he develops into.  

I can't believe all the negative comments about this roster. This roster is light years ahead of the steelers and yet the steelers are now 8-5. That's right 8-5. Some of you who think this team lacks talent watch the steelers and tell me where there is any talent at all on that roster. And that is a team playing an undrafted rookie free agent at qb. This team lacks one thing, well maybe 2. First a qb, second the defensive game plans have really sucked lately for some odd inexplicable reason(s). One blow out win, one blowout loss and 11 games decided by 7 points or fewer and people whine about this team, give me a break. Someone explain to me how that loaded Texan team got blown out at home by the Broncos?????????????? There's lots of experts on here so I want to know how that happened. Do the Texans need to fire their entire coaching staff now?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not giving up on Banagu in anyway but I actually expected more out of him when Turey went down.  With that said he’s a rookie and a bit of a project.  I don’t think he’s close to a finished product yet.

ill add one more to your list.  Tell has done really well at moving to corner for a rookie.  I am excited to see what he develops into.  

It will be fun to see how Banogu improves having a offseason to work with Mathis. If Turay can just stay healthy and Ben can improve we will have two pretty good DE.  Ben has shown lots of flashes.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

It will be fun to see how Banogu improves having a offseason to work with Mathis. If Turay can just stay healthy and Ben can improve we will have two pretty good DE.  Ben has shown lots of flashes.

I thought today's game was fun to watch. It was a high scoring battle but we fell short unfortunately. I even thought JB would pull it out to be honest but it is what it is. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought today's game was fun to watch. It was a high scoring battle but we fell short unfortunately. I even thought JB would pull it out to be honest but it is what it is. 

If we are going to lose at least it was entertaining with big plays. The lack of run game when your up 14 points hurt. I thought maybe we should of tried to run better and see if the oline could take over. 

1 minute ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Can we hire Ron River as DC

It’s clear when Kenny Moore misses a game it changes everything this team does on offense. Him and Leonard are the back bone of the defense. We need a backup to Moore. We had it with Taylor and we let him go.  Moore would of broke up some of those passes down the middle of the field.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s clear when Kenny Moore misses a game it changes everything this team does on offense. Him and Leonard are the back bone of the defense. We need a backup to Moore. We had it with Taylor and we let him go.  Moore would of broke up some of those passes down the middle of the field.

Sucks the Wilson is a wasted 2nd round draft pick

The sticking with the zone D was my biggest disappointment. I don't expect miracles from Brissett or supposedly elite Hooker (who admittedly is tackling better but seems out of position a lot either by mistake or by the design of the D).

Maybe they were afraid to play man out of some combination of fearing they couldn't match the speed of Goodwin/Evans or with Moore being out. But the zone obviously wasn't working. If they had to stick with it, couldn't they have at least changed it up to put at least one lb in the deep middle like Okereke to try and stop the not so slow death of playing zone D?

We're just starting to get all the pieces of the puzzle. This needs to continue, but we need to learn how to put them all together and play for 60 minutes.

We really need to figure out how to address suffering too many injuries. I suspect people are trying to overplay their positions and talent level. This is especially true when one player tries to cover the mistakes of another player. Just don't do it!

I'm so tired of the same thing over and over and over:

3rd and 15 and they run a stupid screen (which they've never been good at) for 7 yards. 

They've run that same play many times all season (and failed) and ran it multiple times yesterday. 

Also, I'll have to look at the snap count, but Hines taking so much of Mack's snaps was ridiculous. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'm so tired of the same thing over and over and over

Also, I'll have to look at the snap count, but Hines taking so much of Mack's snaps was ridiculous. 

Yup. I keep thinking Mack is a franchise type RB but he certainly isn't used like one. 

He barely plays 3rd downs.

He almost never catches passes (see current NFL RB's all over the league)

Hes not in to close halves or any 2 minute style offense.

Hes never in on the last drives. 

Hes essentially used as a 2 down back. Ive seen Hines carry the ball enough to know hes not in the same universe of ability as Mack is. Makes no sense at all.

• Like 1