Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Many reasons why the Colts future is in good hands

Coltsfan0112

1. The division isn't that scary. Houston is the clear leader but has traded future 1st rounders where that will haunt them in the future and they could barely beat the Colts with all the injuries. Jacksonville still doesn't have their future Qb and paid Nick Foles a butt ton of money and will and have lost defensive players. Titans barely beat the Colts and they have no solution to their Qb as well.

2. The Colts roster do have holes but not many. The main issues are Qb, WR, DT, DE and Kicker. 

3. The 2020 draft is set up well for the Colts and at the most perfect time. The WR depth is incredible where I could see Ballard grabbing 2 WR because value will fall due to all the WR talent. Also, there is good depth at DE and Qb as well where I could see Ballard drafting a guy like Love to develop behind Brissett for a year and drafting another DE since Sheard is a free agent and Houston has 1 more year with the Colts.

4. The cap situation is amazing and will be able to keep all our young core of players together since we don't have our franchise Qb right now. This is the thing I look at that excites me at our future. Ballard is so good at drafting and was one of the main person that helped Scout Mahomes where I have no doubt that Ballard can find us that guy. Just imagine if Ballard can get the Colts a Franchise Qb and WR in this class this team could be dominant for 10 plus years due to possibly having a Qb and WR on rookie contacts.

I know #4 is a bunch of what ifs but I have Ballard's trust since he has proven he can draft so well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

1. The division isn't that scary. Houston is the clear leader but has traded future 1st rounders where that will haunt them in the future and they could barely beat the Colts with all the injuries. Jacksonville still doesn't have their future Qb and paid Nick Foles a butt ton of money and will and have lost defensive players. Titans barely beat the Colts and they have no solution to their Qb as well.

2. The Colts roster do have holes but not many. The main issues are Qb, WR, DT, DE and Kicker. 

3. The 2020 draft is set up well for the Colts and at the most perfect time. The WR depth is incredible where I could see Ballard grabbing 2 WR because value will fall due to all the WR talent. Also, there is good depth at DE and Qb as well where I could see Ballard drafting a guy like Love to develop behind Brissett for a year and drafting another DE since Sheard is a free agent and Houston has 1 more year with the Colts.

4. The cap situation is amazing and will be able to keep all our young core of players together since we don't have our franchise Qb right now. This is the thing I look at that excites me at our future. Ballard is so good at drafting and was one of the main person that helped Scout Mahomes where I have no doubt that Ballard can find us that guy. Just imagine if Ballard can get the Colts a Franchise Qb and WR in this class this team could be dominant for 10 plus years due to possibly having a Qb and WR on rookie contacts.

I know #4 is a bunch of what ifs but I have Ballard's trust since he has proven he can draft so well.

I trust Ballard but I think franchise QB is going to be extremely difficult.  I'm not seeing anyone that truly stands out to me that is coming out this year.

• Like 2

Just now, csmopar said:

I trust Ballard but I think franchise QB is going to be extremely difficult.  I'm not seeing anyone that truly stands out to me that is coming out this year.

I agree getting a Qb is tough but I think Ballard and his drafting philosphy will find the right one. I personally hope he gets Love. He has all the traits but just needs a year to be fully developed correctly and not rushed. I think Colts is perfect because they have Brisett for one more year and can take their time to mold him like Mahomes and Watson did.

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i see several that could be really good.  remember mahomes, watson and jackson were not all seen as unanimous great picks leading up to the draft

all three of them were thought to be boom or bust in the pros 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

i see several that could be really good.  remember mahomes, watson and jackson were not all seen as unanimous great picks leading up to the draft

true, but you're asking to catch Lightning in a bottle.  It can be done for sure.  But its not a guarantee. Also, the question is too, does Irsay show patience and give Ballard time to find one, which could take years.  I'd guess yes, but you never know

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Very true. Also big thing with that is they all sat in that 1st year. They did play in some of the games that 1st year but was able to Develop the proper way

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

true, but you're asking to catch Lightning in a bottle.  It can be done for sure.  But its not a guarantee. Also, the question is too, does Irsay show patience and give Ballard time to find one, which could take years.  I'd guess yes, but you never know

Yes, not a gurantee and if Irsay showed much patience to Grigs he will give time to Ballard. Plus no one can blame Ballard or Reich when Luck abruptly retired. Also, with Ballard personally going to Utah to scout Love you know he's in Qb market. Also, Hoyer needs to be upgraded. Dude sucks big time

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

Very true. Also big thing with that is they all sat in that 1st year. They did play in some of the games that 1st year but was able to Develop the proper way

we could sit them for a little bit, no problem with that

i thought it was kind of funny when jackson said he had to relearn how to throw the nfl ball, its bigger than what he used in college.  hes the only qb i have ever heard say that was an issue and he has big hands, he holds the ball one handed when hes running all the time

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

That's a mistake almost every team makes nowadays. I hate that about the league.

Letting a QB watch for a year is huge if they aren't a Peyton or Luck type who are ready in day one.

I guarantee many good QB's have been ruined by being thrown in to soon 

59 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

The Colts roster do have holes but not many. The main issues are Qb, WR, DT, DE

This is precisely the reason why I don't think they're in a good place. 

4 positions aren't a lot numerically but they're probably the most difficult spots to actually fill whilst also being amongst the positions with the greatest impact on results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

This is precisely the reason why I don't think they're in a good place. 

4 positions aren't a lot numerically but they're probably the most difficult spots to actually fill whilst also being amongst the positions with the greatest impact on results.

Yes I agree. The positions are the most important but I don't know if you follow the draft or College football but this class is loaded with depth that we need. A lot of Qbs, WR, and DE. It's about find the best fit for the team and I'm very confident Ballard can do it. He proved he is able to draft. Now if it was Grigs id be terrified.

If QB wasn't on the list. I'd feel pretty confident about the holes in the roster. Probably the least amount of holes that we've had in a long time. Right now, it's a bit shakey because Brissett can win you about 7-8 games I think which will put us middle of the road / maybe missing playoffs each year. Ballard and Reich seem committed to Brissett too since they signed him to the 2 year extension. Hopefully they are smart and draft a young QB in the draft and have him learn the offense next year. See how that plays out. Just like Mahommes. 

• Like 2

I'm semi optimistic.

I think Frank and Ballard will make the right pick and especially with a year to sit behind Brissett, Frank can coach up the rookie QB.  

Honestly I'm convinced a lot of it is about coaching.  When Wentz was playing under Reich he was an MVP candidate and might have won it had he not been injured.  Then the Eagles won the SB with Foles.  

The other thing I will say is I agree the Colts don't have too many holes.  We're gonna need some receivers and tight ends, but if Campbell breaks out next year this doesn't look like as big of a problem.  A few upgrades could be made to the defense but the unit overall is pretty solid.  Colts are 13th in yards, 18th in PPG.  I would argue that our offense not staying on the field more actually makes those numbers worse.  With a better offense I would argue this defense is capable of being top 10. 

2 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

Yes I agree. The positions are the most important but I don't know if you follow the draft or College football but this class is loaded with depth that we need. A lot of Qbs, WR, and DE. It's about find the best fit for the team and I'm very confident Ballard can do it. He proved he is able to draft. Now if it was Grigs id be terrified.

Honestly, people say every year is loaded with this position or that position. It very rarely turns into reality, we should probably just wait and see.

Believe me though, if we were just lacking a center, guard and safety I'd be feeling a lot more positive.  Unfortunately we need the exact same positions as most teams in the bottom half of the league.

4 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

If QB wasn't on the list. I'd feel pretty confident about the holes in the roster. Probably the least amount of holes that we've had in a long time. Right now, it's a bit shakey because Brissett can win you about 7-8 games I think which will put us middle of the road / maybe missing playoffs each year. Ballard and Reich seem committed to Brissett too since they signed him to the 2 year extension. Hopefully they are smart and draft a young QB in the draft and have him learn the offense next year. See how that plays out. Just like Mahommes. 

They actually only extended his contract one year.  Next year is a contract year for Brissett.  

That's not committment.  That's keeping him in house for another year so a rookie can learn behind him.  This is exactly like what Andy Reed did with Pat Mahomes.  Pat Mahomes sat a year behind Alex Smith.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

They actually only extended his contract one year.  Next year is a contract year for Brissett.  

That's not committment.  That's keeping him in house for another year so a rookie can learn behind him.  This is exactly like what Andy Reed did with Pat Mahomes.  Pat Mahomes sat a year behind Alex Smith.  

Agree 100%

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Honestly, people say every year is loaded with this position or that position. It very rarely turns into reality, we should probably just wait and see.

Believe me though, if we were just lacking a center, guard and safety I'd be feeling a lot more positive.  Unfortunately we need the exact same positions as most teams in the bottom half of the league.

Well Ballard talked about this WR class last year and just goes to show he knows it very talented. Daniel Jeremiah on NFL network said this class is the best hes seen since 03 and 14 draft class was pretty damn well. 

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yeah, that is pretty much what I was saying. :)

Now I will grant that finding a QB is hard to do and it's even harder when you are picking in the middle of the first round.  

That is the big part reason I said "semi".  

But we do have a coach that has a history of quarterbacks under him playing well.  We have a QB that allows us to realistically hold the fort down so a new QB can learn.  We have a good offensive line and we have a solid defense.  Without injuries minus the QB we still have one of the best rosters in the league.  There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic here.  

8 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

I think a veteran quarterback needs to be brought in as well as drafting a quarterback.I know people will laugh but what about Alex smith he wants to play again and would be cheap .And Ballard knows him from kC 

??? Why would you do that when you have Brissett under contract?  

Ballard is going to have a real track record once he picks a QB. That'll define his stay far more than being able to pick guys in the trenches- which he's had success at, but the rest of it is more murky at this time.

I hope the Texans not having a GM catches up to them, but it's kind of looking like they were right to just get players that can play.

I hope the Titans stick with Tannehill, but then again, didn't he just beat a healthy Colts D?

The Jags, I dunno what's going on there, but I suspect it will either get better or won't (bold prediction).

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Now I will grant that finding a QB is hard to do and it's even harder when you are picking in the middle of the first round.  

That is the big part reason I said "semi".  

But we do have a coach that has a history of quarterbacks under him playing well.  We have a QB that allows us to realistically hold the fort down so a new QB can learn.  We have a good offensive line and we have a solid defense.  Without injuries minus the QB we still have one of the best rosters in the league.  There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic here.  

I agree. QB is the tough part but its possible. Texans, Chiefs and Ravens all traded up from late 20's to get their Qb. I think if you have the right scouting department and proper plan in place to develop the Qb it can be done. All those 3 teams had the same philosphy and it worked out

1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I would say Houston and Tennessee will be tough to beat over the next few years.
 And we now have weaknesses at many posititions going forward.
  Ballard and his staff need a very good off season to keep us competitive.
   And we are in a solid position to do that.

If they get one of the more ready QB they might end up starting right away.  If it’s a guy like Love we probably start Jacoby another year. Jacoby can have a better season then this year if his weapons just stay healthy.

The best outcome is for Luck to agree to come backbone for just one year and groom the future. I have a gut filling that is very possible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Ballard is going to have a real track record once he picks a QB. That'll define his stay far more than being able to pick guys in the trenches- which he's had success at, but the rest of it is more murky at this time.

I hope the Texans not having a GM catches up to them, but it's kind of looking like they were right to just get players that can play.

I hope the Titans stick with Tannehill, but then again, didn't he just beat a healthy Colts D?

The Jags, I dunno what's going on there, but I suspect it will either get better or won't (bold prediction).

Its going to haunt the Texans. Just watch. The Colts D did their part. It wasnt a fantastic outing but 7 points scored off blocked fg. Interceptions putting the D in tough positions. 

5 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Because brisett is not any good ,but Smith career likely over due to severe injury 

Brisett is decent but not a franchise guy.  He's performing poorly because all of the playmakers on offense are injured.  

Any QB would look noticably worse operating with the receiver corps that Brissett is operating with now.  The difference is that Brissett is just a game manager with a decent receiver corps but without that he just looks bad.  

There is a reason this team played much better at the beginning of the season.  Look at the injuries and where they have happened.  Most of them focused on offensive skill players.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

I read the Texans might not have a GM in 2020. They are thinking about leaving things how they are.

Foles might be on his way out in Jax. Tannehill I think is a guy the titans can win with for a few years. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they get one of the more ready QB they might end up starting right away.  If it’s a guy like Love we probably start Jacoby another year. Jacoby can have a better season then this year if his weapons just stay healthy.

The best outcome is for Luck to agree to come backbone for just one year and groom the future. I have a gut filling that is very possible. 

I dont think Luck will come back for just 1 year. If he does I believe he will be back for a long while but my gut tells me Luck is not going to comeback. Anything is possible. He may miss it but for now Ballard has to plan that Luck will never be back.

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Brisett is decent but not a franchise guy.  He's performing poorly because all of the playmakers on offense are injured.  

Any QB would look noticably worse operating with the receiver corps that Brissett is operating with now.  The difference is that Brissett is just a game manager with a decent receiver corps but without that he just looks bad.  

There is a reason this team played much better at the beginning of the season.  Look at the injuries and where they have happened.  Most of them focused on offensive skill players.  

While injuries to skill position players hurt him ,you saw the viral video of guys wide open in Texans Game .And two god awful interceptions yesterday .He is not the answer 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

While injuries to skill position players hurt him ,you saw the viral video of guys wide open in Texans Game .And two god awful interceptions yesterday .He is not the answer 

Didn't see that video and to be fair wasn't able to watch the 2nd half of the Titans game.  Was following the score on my phone.  

34 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I dont think Luck will come back for just 1 year. If he does I believe he will be back for a long while but my gut tells me Luck is not going to comeback. Anything is possible. He may miss it but for now Ballard has to plan that Luck will never be back.

I would love to see Luck come back and play but I agree with you I don't think it's going to happen.  

Thing is most players in the NFL, playing in the NFL is all they ever wanted to do in life.  So with them when they occasionally lose their passion for the game, after some time off it comes back to them and they decide to come back.  

The thing with Andrew Luck that tells me (unfortunately) that he's not likely to come back is I feel like Andrew Luck played in the NFL mostly because it had the best pay of any job out of college.  I feel like if pay was the same, Luck would have enjoyed being an architect just as much if not more than being an NFL QB.  Remember Luck would have likely been the #1 pick if he came out in 2011 but despite being the likely #1 overall pick he finished school.  And from my understanding he didn't even really give any serious thought to coming out early.  

Sure he will miss the locker room, most players do.  But ultimately it will come down to if he wants to put his body at risk again to actually play football, and I think he will find other things to occupy his time.  

Before Luck retired I had worried about Luck retiring earlier than most because of that, but I thought it would be more like 35, not 30.  

The other thing is in terms of timing he's doing it at a time in his life when people start re-thinking who they are and how they are living their lives.  And that's when his wife is pregnant with their child.  Realizing that he has a little one to live for and devote his time to now isn't a coincidence.  

Those are the reasons I don't think he's coming back to play. 

Honestly I think we'd be more likely to hire him as a quarterback's coach than have him come back and take more snaps for us.  

• Like 1

I agree, need a new QB in the upcoming draft.  We'll surely get it b/c we're not going to win anymore games the rest of the season, allowing us to draft in the top ten....Trade Brissett, pkg some draft picks and move up in the top 5....Brissett is not the answer going forward as noted by someone on this post in the Texans game. JB completely mismanage the game and missing open receivers.  Reich had something to do with it too, he's play calling was sub par to say the least.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

I agree, need a new QB in the upcoming draft.  We'll surely get it b/c we're not going to win anymore games the rest of the season, allowing us to draft in the top ten....Trade Brissett, pkg some draft picks and move up in the top 5....Brissett is not the answer going forward as noted by someone on this post in the Texans game. JB completely mismanage the game and missing open receivers.  Reich had something to do with it too, he's play calling was sub par to say the least.

We will win at least 2 more ,Mack could be back this week

48 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I would say Houston and Tennessee will be tough to beat over the next few years.
 And we now have weaknesses at many posititions going forward.
  Ballard and his staff need a very good off season to keep us competitive.
   And we are in a solid position to do that.

Tennessee has a good defense and running game, but they also have many decisions to be made as to who to resign. They have Derrick Henry, RT Jack Conklin, CB Logan Ryan, and QB Ryan Tannehill to worry about resigning. Plus they only have 5 draft picks in the 2020 draft I believe.

Houston as we know doesn't have many draft picks either after acquiring Tunsil. 

Indy still is in position to become the most talented team in the AFC South next season after the 2020 draft has concluded. They have 9 draft picks already, and we all know Ballard is good at getting extra picks and finding talented players later in the draft. 

Hopefully they lose out, Jacoby is obviously not the future of the franchise, so may as well be positioned as closely as possible to the top. Ballard is imo a Top 3-4 GM in the league, he isn't gonna let us sit in mediocrity like the Browns or Dolphins for 10+ years, he will make his move when he sees the opportunity. If it isn't in this year's draft, we will know that early in the draft, because he will likely start addressing other problem areas, while waiting to emphasize QB next season.

Next year there's 2 clear cut franchise guys, they were #1 and #2 according to 247 coming out of High School, and there's a 90+% chance they'll be drafted 1 and 2 in the draft. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields. Fields had a stupid good year at Ohio State, he threw like 30+ TDs with only 1 pick, which is damn near impossible. Trevor Lawrence is the Manning/Luck type guy, they're calling him "generational". To have 2 of those guys in 1 draft hasn't happened since Luck/RG3.

Will be interesting to see whether Ballard/Reich choose to make their move this year, or continue to strengthen the team and keep their eyes on 2021 for a franchise QB. 

• Like 1