Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Many reasons why the Colts future is in good hands

Coltsfan0112

A deep college QB class?  Well, get in line for the developmental QB.

Teams potentially drafting QBs high for immediate play, or lower round 1 into rounds 2 and 3 for future development:

MIA, TB, CAR, CIN, LAC, DAL, DET, JAC, CHI, ATL.....NE....IND

7 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Hopefully they lose out, Jacoby is obviously not the future of the franchise, so may as well be positioned as closely as possible to the top. Ballard is imo a Top 3-4 GM in the league, he isn't gonna let us sit in mediocrity like the Browns or Dolphins for 10+ years, he will make his move when he sees the opportunity. If it isn't in this year's draft, we will know that early in the draft, because he will likely start addressing other problem areas, while waiting to emphasize QB next season.

Next year there's 2 clear cut franchise guys, they were #1 and #2 according to 247 coming out of High School, and there's a 90+% chance they'll be drafted 1 and 2 in the draft. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields. Fields had a stupid good year at Ohio State, he threw like 30+ TDs with only 1 pick, which is damn near impossible. Trevor Lawrence is the Manning/Luck type guy, they're calling him "generational". To have 2 of those guys in 1 draft hasn't happened since Luck/RG3.

Will be interesting to see whether Ballard/Reich choose to make their move this year, or continue to strengthen the team and keep their eyes on 2021 for a franchise QB. 

I wonder if Ballard would ever move up dramatically for a QB. I think he'd be more likely to take someone later in the first or even on Day 2. I believe Ballard was directly involved in the scouting of Mahomes, and the strategy to draft and develop him was discussed while Ballard was still in KC. That involved a trade up from #27 to #10, which is significant, but not as costly as moving into the top 5. And that trade was done after Ballard left.

I'm more interested in the scouting and strategy than in the final decision, though. The Chiefs had a decent veteran starter, but planned ahead to move on from him. They drafted a talented replacement and sat him for a year, and were perfectly comfortable with that decision.

A year before that, the Eagles made a big trade up for Wentz. They also signed Sam Bradford, and appeared to be willing to start Bradford unless Wentz won the job. As it turns out, Wentz won the job, despite being a small school prospect who still needed some work. The next season, Wentz was an MVP candidate, until he got hurt. As we all know, Frank Reich was on the coaching staff.

So I think we have a braintrust that's willing to draft and develop a young QB, without feeling compelled to start him before he's ready, but also willing to have a truly open competition for the starting job. And I think they all believe they can find a QB outside of the top 5.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wonder if Ballard would ever move up dramatically for a QB. I think he'd be more likely to take someone later in the first or even on Day 2. I believe Ballard was directly involved in the scouting of Mahomes, and the strategy to draft and develop him was discussed while Ballard was still in KC. That involved a trade up from #27 to #10, which is significant, but not as costly as moving into the top 5. And that trade was done after Ballard left.

I'm more interested in the scouting and strategy than in the final decision, though. The Chiefs had a decent veteran starter, but planned ahead to move on from him. They drafted a talented replacement and sat him for a year, and were perfectly comfortable with that decision.

A year before that, the Eagles made a big trade up for Wentz. They also signed Sam Bradford, and appeared to be willing to start Bradford unless Wentz won the job. As it turns out, Wentz won the job, despite being a small school prospect who still needed some work. The next season, Wentz was an MVP candidate, until he got hurt. As we all know, Frank Reich was on the coaching staff.

So I think we have a braintrust that's willing to draft and develop a young QB, without feeling compelled to start him before he's ready, but also willing to have a truly open competition for the starting job. And I think they all believe they can find a QB outside of the top 5.

Yeah, I don't necessarily mind where they get him. I know the odds decrease as the draft moves, the higher the pick the less likely we are to hit. I do trust Ballard/Reich, like you eluded to, they're very astute in their judgements and decision making. I trust them to get the job done. 

As far as taking a later guy, there are plenty this year that can be had in the mid-1st or Day 2, in all likelihood. Jalen Hurts most likely, probably Herbert, Eason, and Love at this point, I'm not sure if the injury will cause Tua to slide, but if he makes a full recovery we could get a great value on him, but would probably have to spend our first, or potentially trade up a bit depending on our final record, and position in the draft. I think basically everyone but Joe Burrow should be an option. 

Until the Colts find the right franchise QB...the future is murky.  Could be locked into a cycle of 6 to 9 win seasons for awhile.  We have been blessed at the quarterback position for almost two decades.  Now we are thrown into the lottery with everyone else.  It will take great scouting and a fair amount of luck for us to draft and develop another star at the position anytime soon. 

On another note...the Colts organization has to have perhaps the worst medical & training staff in the league. Injuries decimate this franchise every season it seems.  Doctors consistently get time tables wrong.  Seemingly small injuries turn into extended time missed or even whole seasons lost.  Any advantage that the Colts have from Ballard building a deep overall team roster is nullified by our subpar training and medical staffs and the continuing injury problems that plague this team.  We have to have the deepest roster in the league to hopefully finish at .500 due to all the friggin injuries and poor assessments & treatment.  Irsay needs to look long and hard into addressing this area before fans can be reasonably optimistic about this team’s chances in the future. 

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

I believe if Ballard strongly believes that his guy is there ,he will go all in .

2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Honestly, people say every year is loaded with this position or that position. It very rarely turns into reality, we should probably just wait and see.

Believe me though, if we were just lacking a center, guard and safety I'd be feeling a lot more positive.  Unfortunately we need the exact same positions as most teams in the bottom half of the league.

I am more trusting of skill positions...when it comes to people saying it's a deep class. Just look at the 2013 WR group (as well as the past two classes)...or the 2017 RB group...or recent TE groups. Sure not all are hits...but the chances of hitting on one seem to be good.

6 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yeah, I don't necessarily mind where they get him. I know the odds decrease as the draft moves, the higher the pick the less likely we are to hit. I do trust Ballard/Reich, like you eluded to, they're very astute in their judgements and decision making. I trust them to get the job done. 

As far as taking a later guy, there are plenty this year that can be had in the mid-1st or Day 2, in all likelihood. Jalen Hurts most likely, probably Herbert, Eason, and Love at this point, I'm not sure if the injury will cause Tua to slide, but if he makes a full recovery we could get a great value on him, but would probably have to spend our first, or potentially trade up a bit depending on our final record, and position in the draft. I think basically everyone but Joe Burrow should be an option. 

I think maybe drafting a QB is less hit-and-miss than we're used to. Some of them get overdrafted (Trubisky), some don't get coached very well (Rosen)... but we keep seeing guys outside of the top ten have considerable success. Lamar is the latest example. Others include Dak, Cousins, Wilson, Carr, etc. Mahomes was picked 10th, Watson went 12th. And I think that this might continue, because young QBs are getting more and better coaching before they even reach the league, and NFL staffs are more willing to adjust to the QB than ever before.

The second phase of QB development is what's still up in the air -- getting a guy from a good to franchise level, and keeping him there. Goff, Wentz, and others are struggling with that, for various reasons. But if Ballard keeps drafting well, that's less pressure on whoever the QB is to carry the team every week. 

Right now, the Colts would pick at #17. Assume Tua's recovery goes well and he's able to throw in the spring, he'll be gone. Burrow will be gone. I think Love is a Day 2 prospect right now, but could wind up in the first; let's say he's in play, and let's assume that we're right and Ballard and Co like him. Let's say Herbert is in the 10-15 range, and Eason and Fromm are somewhere between 25 and 50. Let's put Hurts in the top 75 also. 

If you think Herbert is a star prospect -- I do -- then coming up to #10 is realistic. If you're okay with Love being developed for a year, then waiting on him at #17 or even being a little more of a gambler and waiting until later -- we have Washington's second, which should be somewhere in the mid to late 30s, and could be packaged to move back into the first if you want -- that might be an option. Fromm doesn't move the needle much for me, Eason slightly moreso. Hurts is talented but needs the right staff. 

We're in the weeds now, sorry. My point is actually really simple. I don't think we absolutely have to pick in the top ten to get a really good QB prospect, and having JB under contract for 2020 gives the staff options for finding the next guy.

And, of course, that's assuming they find it necessary to draft the next guy right now. I think it's necessary, but they might not.

• Like 3

The D is good.  We have some good young personnel on that side of the ball and that's a good recipe for being in contention consistently.

We need some answers on Offense.  Focusing on the QB is the easy/lazy solution but if no effort is made at WR we'll be right back here next season singing the same song and dancing the same dance.

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Mahomes story is pretty great. Ballard was in the org when they first started scouting him...but it was actually Veach (who became the GM when Dorsey left) who was the catalyst for the pick.

Funny enough...the obsession for Veach started when he was watching tape of none other than...Le'Raven Clark...prior to the 2016 draft (where the Colts would take him in the 3rd round...while KC used their late 2nd round pick on CB Kevaire Russell...whom they cut before the season).

Mahomes' agent, Leigh Steinberg, had mutual interest in Mahomes going to KC as well...because KC was an "organization with an experienced and welcoming incumbent quarterback he could learn from, a coach who understood how to groom quarterbacks, a stable franchise, a solid offensive line and quality skill players." Sounds pretty familiar...doesn't it?

Every year Steinberg hosts a pre-Super Bowl party with his upcoming draft prospects...where he gives out humanitarian awards to prominent NFL figures. That year, he just "happened" to give an award to Clark Hunt...and he just "happened" to have Mahomes present it. 

After that...leading up to the draft...it was up to Veach to sell Reid and Dorsey...and then for those two to sell Hunt...because KC would have to pay a premium to trade up to get him. 

You can read the rest here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/09/we-got-it-done-inside-story-how-patrick-mahomes-landed-with-chiefs/

Regardless of Ballard's direct involvement, he was there when these discussions began and knew about the direction (though maybe not specifics) they were going to ultimately take. Given this and Reich's experience in PHI (as you pointed out)...it only makes sense that this is the path they will take...provided there is a guy they love in the draft. So I hope to see an article like this in the next couple of years.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think maybe drafting a QB is less hit-and-miss than we're used to. Some of them get overdrafted (Trubisky), some don't get coached very well (Rosen)... but we keep seeing guys outside of the top ten have considerable success. Lamar is the latest example. Others include Dak, Cousins, Wilson, Carr, etc. Mahomes was picked 10th, Watson went 12th. And I think that this might continue, because young QBs are getting more and better coaching before they even reach the league, and NFL staffs are more willing to adjust to the QB than ever before.

The second phase of QB development is what's still up in the air -- getting a guy from a good to franchise level, and keeping him there. Goff, Wentz, and others are struggling with that, for various reasons. But if Ballard keeps drafting well, that's less pressure on whoever the QB is to carry the team every week. 

Right now, the Colts would pick at #17. Assume Tua's recovery goes well and he's able to throw in the spring, he'll be gone. Burrow will be gone. I think Love is a Day 2 prospect right now, but could wind up in the first; let's say he's in play, and let's assume that we're right and Ballard and Co like him. Let's say Herbert is in the 10-15 range, and Eason and Fromm are somewhere between 25 and 50. Let's put Hurts in the top 75 also. 

If you think Herbert is a star prospect -- I do -- then coming up to #10 is realistic. If you're okay with Love being developed for a year, then waiting on him at #17 or even being a little more of a gambler and waiting until later -- we have Washington's second, which should be somewhere in the mid to late 30s, and could be packaged to move back into the first if you want -- that might be an option. Fromm doesn't move the needle much for me, Eason slightly moreso. Hurts is talented but needs the right staff. 

We're in the weeds now, sorry. My point is actually really simple. I don't think we absolutely have to pick in the top ten to get a really good QB prospect, and having JB under contract for 2020 gives the staff options for finding the next guy.

And, of course, that's assuming they find it necessary to draft the next guy right now. I think it's necessary, but they might not.

Having Brissett there is the key, and the fact that Chris Ballard has built a real team. JB can start next season if need be, if they take a guy that needs some processing time, and Herbert, Eason, and Love all most likely would.

The best part is that when they deem the guy ready to play, they come into an already built team, not a clown show like Miami. 

They have all of the cap money that still has to be spent, whether that's used to extend the right guys, or to bring in help in key areas, it's a surefire advantage over most other teams. We have great draft capital because of Ballard's prowess; with 3 selections in the -probably- first 45 or so picks. The team is young, and they've done well in the draft so far, I have no reason to believe they won't make the most of those 3 picks. 

Regardless of the QB position, the team in general is in a good spot. We have cap space, a good young nucleus in position, and the draft capital to either get our guy, or strengthen the team for when we do get our guy. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I trust Ballard so with our cap space and young talent I believe he will make the right moves to steer us back on track.

I don't have the same trust in him at choosing QB's yet.   

Of course he was also screwed by Lucks decision, but we currently have Brissett and Hoyer.   

14 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

The D is good.  We have some good young personnel on that side of the ball and that's a good recipe for being in contention consistently.

We need some answers on Offense.  Focusing on the QB is the easy/lazy solution but if no effort is made at WR we'll be right back here next season singing the same song and dancing the same dance.

No question the WR position needs to be better. Need a solid #2 and someone who can produce YAC (and stay on the field; still might be Parris Campbell, but he hasn't had a good first season in that regard). 

But there's nothing easy about finding a good QB, and there's definitely nothing lazy about making a change at the most important position in team sports. Better QBing would go a long way for the Colts, as it would for every other team that doesn't have above average QBing.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't have the same trust in him at choosing QB's yet.   

Of course he was also screwed by Lucks decision, but we currently have Brissett and Hoyer.   

Neither of them indicate Ballard's ability to evaluate QBs.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

No question the WR position needs to be better. Need a solid #2 and someone who can produce YAC (and stay on the field; still might be Parris Campbell, but he hasn't had a good first season in that regard). 

But there's nothing easy about finding a good QB, and there's definitely nothing lazy about making a change at the most important position in team sports. Better QBing would go a long way for the Colts, as it would for every other team that doesn't have above average QBing.

I might be wrong but wasn't he involved in the trading up for mahomes . So if so your wrong 

Heh.  You won't get an argument there from me.  But try to tell that to the guys who are going new QB, new QB, every time the guy we have is less than perfect, which is literally all the time.

If we got a new QB every time the crazies on this forum demanded one, we'd never have the same QB for more than 2 games at a time.

I think this team will draft a QB -- in the 3rd or 4th round.  Absolutely no way whatsoever they spend their first rounder at QB.  Pick up a project that you can slow cook for 2-3 years, the same way the patriots did with Jimmy Garoppolo. 

We had some wild luck with injuries or we'd still be competitive right now.  I'm kind of interested to see how Ballard adjusts the roster to the QB we have and whether there is a way to get more out of JB -- remembering that the roster we have is STILL built mostly for Andrew. 

In all I'm still OK with Brissett.  He absolutely gave us a chance before he got hurt, we lost most of our WR unit and everything went to crap.  The train wreck the season became has a lot more factors to it than who the QB was anyway

• Like 1

My take...there are definitely bright spots for the future...but there are also going to be some big challenges as well...beyond the main ones discussed already (QB, WR, TE).

The DL is an area that has question marks...as the best players are aging vets...and the young guys are question marks.

The OL is great...but part of that is because they are on rookie deals. Going to look a lot different when you have AC, Nelson, Kelly and Smith...all on big deals.

Even with all the cap space...much of that will be eaten up by extending players. My hope is that they are somewhat selective in this process. I also think it expedites the need for a long-term QB in the draft. Having to pay JB ~$22-25M/year is just not prudent.

But as others have pointed out...the future (as a Super Bowl contender) is murky until that the QB position gets solidified.

• Like 1

Just now, coltfaninnewyork said:

You said he has yet to provr himself in evaluating quarterbacks,and he had a hand in drafting mahomes .what part are you talking about ?

I didn't say he had a hand in drafting Mahomes. I said he was there for some of the scouting and strategy involved in drafting Mahomes.

And that's not really related to whether he has made any decisions that show his ability to evaluate QBs.

Hoyer was an emergency signing at the 11th hour. Brissett was an emergency trade at the 11th hour. Neither of them necessarily indicate what Ballard values in a QB (and they're both dramatically different, in almost every respect, as players). Ballard has never drafted a QB. 

So saying 'I don't know if Ballard knows how to evaluate QBs, look at JB and Hoyer' is pretty absurd. 

I didn't say he had a hand in drafting Mahomes. I said he was there for some of the scouting and strategy involved in drafting Mahomes.

And that's not really related to whether he has made any decisions that show his ability to evaluate QBs.

Hoyer was an emergency signing at the 11th hour. Brissett was an emergency trade at the 11th hour. Neither of them necessarily indicate what Ballard values in a QB (and they're both dramatically different, in almost every respect, as players). Ballard has never drafted a QB. 

So saying 'I don't know if Ballard knows how to evaluate QBs, look at JB and Hoyer' is pretty absurd. 

Wow ,luck retired 2 weeks before season .And is stuck with,Brissett and hoyer .And that's Ballard's fault ?what would you have him do?You said he has yet to prove he can evaluate quarterbacks and all I said is he was in on mahomes .Which tells me has the ability .

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

A deep college QB class?  Well, get in line for the developmental QB.

Teams potentially drafting QBs high for immediate play, or lower round 1 into rounds 2 and 3 for future development:

MIA, TB, CAR, CIN, LAC, DAL, DET, JAC, CHI, ATL.....NE....IND

The colts will be drafting ahead of most of those teams

7 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Heh.  You won't get an argument there from me.  But try to tell that to the guys who are going new QB, new QB, every time the guy we have is less than perfect, which is literally all the time.

If we got a new QB every time the crazies on this forum demanded one, we'd never have the same QB for more than 2 games at a time.

I think this team will draft a QB -- in the 3rd or 4th round.  Absolutely no way whatsoever they spend their first rounder at QB.  Pick up a project that you can slow cook for 2-3 years, the same way the patriots did with Jimmy Garoppolo. 

We had some wild luck with injuries or we'd still be competitive right now.  I'm kind of interested to see how Ballard adjusts the roster to the QB we have and whether there is a way to get more out of JB -- remembering that the roster we have is STILL built mostly for Andrew. 

In all I'm still OK with Brissett.  He absolutely gave us a chance before he got hurt, we lost most of our WR unit and everything went to crap.  The train wreck the season became has a lot more factors to it than who the QB was anyway

I think maybe you're exaggerating the viewpoint of "the crazies." 

But while I agree that this roster would probably look different if the staff knew JB would be the starter, I don't think JB is the kind of QB that this staff should build around. Could they be better with him? Sure. But sooner than later, I think it will be JB holding this team back, and I hope the staff puts a plan in place to upgrade that position, because it's still critically important.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I think maybe you're exaggerating the viewpoint of "the crazies." 

But while I agree that this roster would probably look different if the staff knew JB would be the starter, I don't think JB is the kind of QB that this staff should build around. Could they be better with him? Sure. But sooner than later, I think it will be JB holding this team back, and I hope the staff puts a plan in place to upgrade that position, because it's still critically important.

I just believe in Ballard and I think he will get us to the promised land 

10 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

That Patriots had Tom Brady winning Super Bowls when they were "slow-cooking" Jimmy G. Most teams don't have that luxury...including the Colts.

Besides, the Colts can't even do that without commiting a lot more money to JB...and it's just not a prudent move.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Wow ,luck retired 2 weeks before season .And is stuck with,Brissett and hoyer .And that's Ballard's fault ?what would you have him do?You said he has yet to prove he can evaluate quarterbacks and all I said is he was in on mahomes .Which tells me has the ability .

I think something's getting lost in translation. I'm not blaming Ballard for anything, and I can't imagine why you think I am.

But it seems like you're giving Ballard more credit for Mahomes than I do. I think he was involved in the scouting, and was part of the initial strategy to draft a QB in 2017, but Shasta's post above shows that it was a lot more Veach than Ballard pulling the strings there. 

More relevant, I think Ballard would have been influenced by the strategy, and that it could be in play for the Colts this offseason. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

1. The division isn't that scary. Houston is the clear leader but has traded future 1st rounders where that will haunt them in the future and they could barely beat the Colts with all the injuries. Jacksonville still doesn't have their future Qb and paid Nick Foles a butt ton of money and will and have lost defensive players. Titans barely beat the Colts and they have no solution to their Qb as well.

2. The Colts roster do have holes but not many. The main issues are Qb, WR, DT, DE and Kicker. 

3. The 2020 draft is set up well for the Colts and at the most perfect time. The WR depth is incredible where I could see Ballard grabbing 2 WR because value will fall due to all the WR talent. Also, there is good depth at DE and Qb as well where I could see Ballard drafting a guy like Love to develop behind Brissett for a year and drafting another DE since Sheard is a free agent and Houston has 1 more year with the Colts.

4. The cap situation is amazing and will be able to keep all our young core of players together since we don't have our franchise Qb right now. This is the thing I look at that excites me at our future. Ballard is so good at drafting and was one of the main person that helped Scout Mahomes where I have no doubt that Ballard can find us that guy. Just imagine if Ballard can get the Colts a Franchise Qb and WR in this class this team could be dominant for 10 plus years due to possibly having a Qb and WR on rookie contacts.

I know #4 is a bunch of what ifs but I have Ballard's trust since he has proven he can draft so well.

Houston I do think got 3 years.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think something's getting lost in translation. I'm not blaming Ballard for anything, and I can't imagine why you think I am.

But it seems like you're giving Ballard more credit for Mahomes than I do. I think he was involved in the scouting, and was part of the initial strategy to draft a QB in 2017, but Shasta's post above shows that it was a lot more Veach than Ballard pulling the strings there. 

More relevant, I think Ballard would have been influenced by the strategy, and that it could be in play for the Colts this offseason. 

I'm sure Ballard scouted many QB's besides Mahomes.    

I tend to think Ballard would make a good drafting decision at QB, but the fact is - He hasn't drafted a QB yet.   

Drafting a QB to sit behind Brissett is good and bad.   Good because he'd probably be a better QB in the future.   Bad because it'll give us another full season of Brissett.    I think Brissetts ceiling is low.  His offense  plays mostly close games which typically will end with a .500 record.   

31 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Some people have a comparison to Mahomes with Love and I don't know about that his completion rate in his last game against New Mexico was just over 50% that isn't good at all unless im wrong the league average is 63% if he cant do that or better than he is even worst than what we have.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I tend to think Ballard would make a good drafting decision at QB, but the fact is - He hasn't drafted a QB yet.   

Drafting a QB to sit behind Brissett is good and bad.   Good because he'd probably be a better QB in the future.   Bad because it'll give us another full season of Brissett.    I think Brissetts ceiling is low.  His offense  plays mostly close games which typically will end with a .500 record.   

Unless we can get another Manning or Luck caliber QB the future is dark for this team cause in todays league unless you have a good to great QB your not winning anything.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

Some people have a comparison to Mahomes with Love and I don't know about that his completion rate in his last game against New Mexico was just over 50% that isn't good at all unless im wrong the league average is 63% if he cant do that or better than he is even worst than what we have.

That's why it's best to let Ballard   Do his job ,we all think we know but we don't know and never will ,lol. A shoutout to a jim Mora meltdown .

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

The bolded is all I'm saying. I'm not willing to use JB and Hoyer as an indication of Ballard's ability to evaluate QBs.

As for drafting a QB, I would love to take a guy who is ready in Year 1, and JB can be the backup or get traded or whatever, because like you, I don't think JB is good enough. But I don't think that's the only way to get a good QB. Realistically speaking, we aren't in range to get either of the top two QBs in this year's draft. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Unless we can get another Manning or Luck caliber QB the future is dark for this team cause in todays league unless you have a good to great QB your not winning anything.

I don't agree with that.   With a very good O-line and a good young defense, I think this team can win without an elite QB.  

37 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

The chiefs and the ravens will have MVP QB in their first full years of starting. Lamar was drafted at 32.  I think Reich will know what to look for in a QB.  As long as the defense doesn’t take a step we will be fine. We are looking at 2021 to really compete.  I am really concerned about the defense taking  step back because I think Eberflus will be gone. We also need to find the guys who are going to carry the torch for Sheard and Houston and a DT. I think we need to worry about offense this next draft. Then in the 2021 draft worry about finding those studs  who will replace Sheard and Houston.

Kansas City gave a way a third round pick and the following years first round pick to get Mahomes. They moved up from 25th to 10th. The Texans gave up the following years first round pick.  We won’t have to trade up as much I do not believe.  I would be willing to do both of those. If we get to keep our second round picks.