Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offseason Discussion

LuckyHorseShoe§

1 hour ago, Orioles22 said:

We could probably get the top kicker in the country with a 7th round pick, so that won't be on the list of draft needs.

I still say DT with the first pick, and maybe a receiver and offensive tackle in the second round.

Lately the top kickers have been going way earlier than they used to go. Round 4-5 is not unreadable for the top kickers to come off the board. 

6 hours ago, stitches said:

I think people are way too apocalyptic right now. I don't think this team needs a ton to be at a great position. The problem is that one of the few things we need is the most important thing a team needs - a good starting QB. 

The two biggest holes are QB and kicker. Even if we draft a QB next year, chances are he won't be ready to be high level winning QB day 1... still this should be priority no. 1

I think it would be a waste if we didn't come out of this draft with a WR from the first two days. This is one of the strongest WR classes I've seen recently.

I wouldn't mind drafting a TE, BUT... I also wouldn't mind if we instead got one in FA and kept Doyle. 

I kind of like our DLine... maybe we could get a DT, but only if it makes sense price-wise. I wouldn't go out of my way to get one. 

Sneaky big need is CB IMO. Teams play 3 CBs as starters nowadays. We still don't have those spots secured long-term. 

I would spend a mid-late round pick on a kicker if one is available? 5th-6th round... sure... get the one you really like. 

But yeah... priority no. 1 is still QB... even if you don't expect him to start game 1... you have to get him in the building and start developing him ASAP IMO. 

I agree with QB and I think Jacoby would be the bridge guy to get the new guy ready which is fine.  

Id add a secondary WR who can stay healthy to the list of needs too.  I am fine with drafting one high but let’s remember that’s what they did with Campbell too and as we have seen this year even when he plays he hasn’t made a big impact.  So the Colts might have to explore a trade or free agency again to address that spot.  They might even do a one year do over again with Funch.  

Id look for a guy who you think can be the future at right guard in this draft as well.  It doesn’t have to be a top pick but most of the Colts line problems this year have involved Glow.  A mid round pick that the Colts like wouldn’t be a bad plan.  

Id look careful at the Norte Dame tightend.  He might be too high of a pick to invest in a tightend right now but if he’s isn’t a top pick he’d do pretty well at tightend I think.  Id also bring back Doyle and let Ebron walk unless they can keep Ebron on the cheap.

I am with you about the dline.  I am in the minority here but I don’t think DT is a huge need for the Colts.  Can it be upgraded?  Sure.  Do the Colts have bigger problems to worry about?  IMO yes.  The Colts have invested heavy draft capital the last three years on defense, and rightfully so, at some point you have to let those young kids play and trust in them.  I think the defense has performed well enough this year that you don’t need to overhaul it.  Maybe tweak it a little here or there in free agency but I think they have their core in place with Leonard, Walker, Rock, Willis, Hooker, Moore, and, Houston.  It’s really a shame Turey got hurt because he was starting to come on.  I am also excited to see what Banogu can do with another offseason under him.

You can get a starting kicker in the seventh round or even undrafted.  Id expect a repeat of the punter situation when McAfee retired.  Sign a vet and bring in a kid you like and let them compete for the job in the pre-season and keep the one you like the best.  

Still like you I don’t think this team is going anywhere without a long term answer at QB.  That should be priority one this off-season.  If they have to move up in the draft to get one fine.  If you take a kid that needs to be groomed for part of the year that’s fine.  Jacoby can be a transitional QB.  He just can’t be the long term answer.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree with QB and I think Jacoby would be the bridge guy to get the new guy ready which is fine.  

Id add a secondary WR who can stay healthy to the list of needs too.  I am fine with drafting one high but let’s remember that’s what they did with Campbell too and as we have seen this year even when he plays he hasn’t made a big impact.  So the Colts might have to explore a trade or free agency again to address that spot.  They might even do a one year do over again with Funch.  

Id look for a guy who you think can be the future at right guard in this draft as well.  It doesn’t have to be a top pick but most of the Colts line problems this year have involved Glow.  A mid round pick that the Colts like wouldn’t be a bad plan.  

Id look careful at the Norte Dame tightend.  He might be too high of a pick to invest in a tightend right now but if he’s isn’t a top pick he’d do pretty well at tightend I think.  Id also bring back Doyle and let Ebron walk unless they can keep Ebron on the cheap.

I am with you about the dline.  I am in the minority here but I don’t think DT is a huge need for the Colts.  Can it be upgraded?  Sure.  Do the Colts have bigger problems to worry about?  IMO yes.  The Colts have invested heavy draft capital the last three years on defense, and rightfully so, at some point you have to let those young kids play and trust in them.  I think the defense has performed well enough this year that you don’t need to overhaul it.  Maybe tweak it a little here or there in free agency but I think they have their core in place with Leonard, Walker, Rock, Willis, Hooker, Moore, and, Houston.  It’s really a shame Turey got hurt because he was starting to come on.  I am also excited to see what Banogu can do with another offseason under him.

You can get a starting kicker in the seventh round or even undrafted.  Id expect a repeat of the punter situation when McAfee retired.  Sign a vet and bring in a kid you like and let them compete for the job in the pre-season and keep the one you like the best.  

Still like you I don’t think this team is going anywhere without a long term answer at QB.  That should be priority one this off-season.  If they have to move up in the draft to get one fine.  If you take a kid that needs to be groomed for part of the year that’s fine.  Jacoby can be a transitional QB.  He just can’t be the long term answer.

Campbell  was unpolished  should have took someone  else

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Campbell  was unpolished  should have took someone  else

I said earlier today I wasn’t a fan of the pick.  So I am with you.  I would have rathered they took AJ Brown rather than Rock.  However that’s doesnt matter now so I hope Campbell can put it together.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we have to move up for a QB we might need another draft in 2021 to finish getting what we need on offense. If we have to move up we are probably giving away a second round plus a first.

Depends on how far they go and who they like.  If they are patient a guy might fall to them or fall close enough they don’t have to give up much.  I don’t think they have to go get Tau or Burrow but if I were GM (and thank God I am not for many reasons!) id look closely at the Oregon kid, Fromm, and the Washington kid.  I’ve always liked Fromm but again I am no NFL scout.

24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I said earlier today I wasn’t a fan of the pick.  So I am with you.  I would have rathered they took AJ Brown rather than Rock.  However that’s doesnt matter now so I hope Campbell can put it together.

In the long run Campbell  maybe good once we get a decent  qb, but we needed an andre Johnson  type wr with someone  like Brissett  starting.  Metcalf  may have yielded more immediate  impact along with mclaurin.

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we have to move up for a QB we might need another draft in 2021 to finish getting what we need on offense. If we have to move up we are probably giving away a second round plus a first.

Trade Brissett  and Wilson  for additional  picks then move up

7 hours ago, RollerColt said:

TY’s health is deteriorating. Right now we have no healthy answers for WR. Funchess... Campbell... There’s just nothing.

The defense is okay, but now it appears the offense needs a huge overhaul. And by the time we fix that, the defense will probably start faltering. 

There are too many issues and not enough lucky breaks for this team to realistically have a shot at a super bowl for a long time. And by that point, the masses could very well have run Ballard out of town.

The masses run Ballard out of town? I don't even know what he would have to do for that to happen...but it would have to be bad in an unprecedented way.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Depends on how far they go and who they like.  If they are patient a guy might fall to them or fall close enough they don’t have to give up much.  I don’t think they have to go get Tau or Burrow but if I were GM (and thank God I am not for many reasons!) id look closely at the Oregon kid, Fromm, and the Washington kid.  I’ve always liked Fromm but again I am no NFL scout.

If I thought we actually had a chance I would overpay what it took to get Burrow, but I don't think we will even have the option to overpay for him because the Bengals will take him at #1. Unless the NYGs somehow managed to get the 1st pick than it would become a bidding war. Even if Ballard was willing I don't think we could win a bidding war if Miami got in it.  Regardless, if there is a QB they really like I don't think they should patiently hope he gets to them ... they need to go get him even if they overpay a bit.

8 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Well out of the teams below us, Burrow is going to the Bengals, the Dolphins will take a QB, Redskins will probably take Chase Young, Jets don’t need a QB, Browns don’t need a QB, Tampa might want a QB, AZ doesn’t want one, Lions don’t want one, Bears need one, Giants probably won’t take one, Broncos will want one, Jags probably won’t want one.

That makes it 12 teams that will likely end up below us, and out of those twelve I’d say Bengals, Dolphins, Broncos, and Bears all need/want a QB, with the Giants, Tampa, and Jags maybe considering it. If we really want a shot at Herbert, Fromm, or Tua, we need to lose out imo

The broncos have their future QB. Don’t count the lions out from taking one. Stanford is getting older and injured.

15 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

As a lifelong Colts fan, it is painful to watch the Colts on offense when Brissett is the QB.  I remember after the 2017 season, I thought that was the most frustrating season of watching the Colts in my life.  They simply could never move the ball.  Well, pretty much the same thing this year.  The only time Brissett looks good is when the running attack is dominant and he gets wide open receivers off play action fakes.  I have said all season he is not very good.  I was hammered on it, but I think it is showing what he is.  My hope is that Luck comes back next year.  If not, I hope we can draft a QB and pickup like Nick Foles as a stop gap starter. I can't go another year with Brissett at QB.  It like watching a 1928 offense.

It's hard to imagine any scenario that Luck, Franky, and Jacoby sit down and decide to bench Jacoby (Andrew's friend who he reportedly calls frequently) so that Luck can come out of what seems like a happy retirement. 

More likely to imagine Franky staying hyper loyal to Jacoby next year, while Luck watches the Colts go 6-10 from his couch. 

8 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

If we get tua we’ll need to keep Jacoby for when tua gets hurt for half the season. That boy is made of glass

5 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Yes, he seems to be injury-prone.

I don’t think I’d go so far as to call him injury prone, but this injury is a significant one. He may never be the same again. Some will say the odds are against it. 

Theres a very high probability of it affecting him from here on out, and I wouldn’t be surprised if after what we went through with Luck Ballard and Irsay have decided to remove him from consideration of being drafted. I honestly can’t say I would argue against that decision myself. 

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

I don’t think I’d go so far as to call him injury prone, but this injury is a significant one. He may never be the same again. Some will say the odds are against it. 

Theres a very high probability of it affecting him from here on out, and I wouldn’t be surprised if after what we went through with Luck Ballard and Irsay have decided to remove him from consideration of being drafted. I honestly can’t say I would argue against that decision myself. 

He has had multiple lower body injuries. He would be a hard pass.

8 hours ago, shastamasta said:

The masses run Ballard out of town? I don't even know what he would have to do for that to happen...but it would have to be bad in an unprecedented way.

Basically, will people continue to have patience as Ballard works to resolve all of the many issues the team has and will have in the future? 

My hope is yes, as at least in the past Irsay has been the patient type. We'll become a good tough team in the years ahead, there's just a lot of work still. At least we saw some flashes during the Kansas and 1st Houston games of what we will hopefully become. 

9 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

How mad is everyone going to be if vinny gets another 1 year contract?

I would lose my mind. love what he has done in the past. this year is possibly the worst i have seen from any kicker. i'm kind of surprised he hasn't retired in season.

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah I know, two WRs was not factoring in Campbell.  I edited to include just one WR and put RB ahead of FS because even though Mack is only slightly less replaceable than Hooker, who is beginning to be a complete nonfactor, we need something more than Hines, who is pretty much nothing but a PR/KR at this point.

Two DTs have been and still are the number one priority.  And I put TE in there because half this board says that Doyle can't get the stats like Ebron does, even though he can when he's actually targeted, but we need two TEs anyway, so its a pretty high priority.

We could use an upgrade at QB.  But the rest of the roster, overall, is much much worse than our QB. 

That might be somewhat true but by not getting your QB , you lose the "window " with our present nucleus. If making the playoffs is the ultimate goal within say 2 years , then QB last is . IMO, ok.  

Question is if the stars align for the Colts to draft their guy. I don't think Ballard will give up like both 2nds and a future pick to move up 5-7 spots. Plus the obvious , how many QB's will he consider and where will they fall.

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The broncos have their future QB. Don’t count the lions out from taking one. Stanford is getting older and injured.

For sure the Lions would consider a QB early and yes Denver won't be in the mix. Miami and Cincinnati will almost certainly take the top 2 rated off the board.

19 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

This isn’t a game day thread, so I’d appreciate it if it wasn’t locked.

Regardless of whatever, I thought we could start discussing the offseason a little early. The way I see it, we need (in order of need)

-Kicker

-QB

-WR(s)

-DB(s)

-Another pass rusher

All in all, we have some holes to fill, but we’re still in better shape than after the 2016 season.

Thoughts?

In order
 QB
 WR
 DT

OG
 TE

Based upon their current situations, I see these teams as thinking that drafting a QB is a high priority:

Dolphins, Bucs, Panthers, Bengals.

And these teams could be in the market for a late round 1 to round 3 developmental QB:

Chargers, Cowboys, Lions, Jags, Falcons.even Bears.

Could we trade JB?  Some thought we could get a lot for him.

20 hours ago, TheMiz said:

Somewhere around week 5 this same discussion was had on this forum. I listed my priorities as 

QB

DL

OT.

That still seems like the right order to me. Obviously QB should be the top priority. 

Kickers are easy to find after the draft.

WR/TE is also a need, but I wouldn't say it's as needed as qB, dl or ot.

Hmmmm....

15 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

We could probably get the top kicker in the country with a 7th round pick, so that won't be on the list of draft needs.

Unless someone else takes them first...

13 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Lately the top kickers have been going way earlier than they used to go. Round 4-5 is not unreadable for the top kickers to come off the board. 

Lot's of teams need place kickers. Some are on their 4th or such just this year.  Getting a good K these days just isn't a sure as folks make it seem.

"The field-goal success rate this season is at its lowest level since 2003. And the decline of 4.2 percentage points to 80.5 percent from 2018 to 2019 is the greatest year-to-year drop in efficiency since that from 1975 to 1976, dinosaur days when square-toed kickers still roamed.

Today’s kickers are struggling so mightily that not even the extra point can be safely assumed. The 93.4 percent success rate on PATs is the lowest it’s been, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com, since the ball’s placement was moved back to the 15-yard line in 2015."

from fivethirtyeight.com early November.

And this even more recent article from the ringer-

"After years of steady gains, the league wide field goal accuracy rate has stunningly dropped 5 percentage points. Kickers are now hitting on 79.7 percent of field goals; if that holds, 2019 would be the first time the league has dipped under 80 percent since 2003. Leaguewide field goal accuracy is a stat that’s had a steady upward trend for decades—since 2000, leaguewide field goal accuracy has seen year-over-year improvement 14 times, and a year-over-year decline just four times, generally due to an unsustainably good year the year before. A 5 percentage point drop is unfathomable."

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Based upon their current situations, I see these teams as thinking that drafting a QB is a high priority:

Dolphins, Bucs, Panthers, Bengals.

And these teams could be in the market for a late round 1 to round 3 developmental QB:

Chargers, Cowboys, Lions, Jags, Falcons.even Bears.

Could we trade JB?  Some thought we could get a lot for him.

This is why its going to be hard to get the guy the colts want.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is why its going to be hard to get the guy the colts want.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to hate on JB too much at this point since its probably likely we'll let him play out his contract.  I'd like to stay optimistic about him, or the ability of the team to win with him provided the many holes on the roster are filled.

On 12/1/2019 at 4:40 PM, Restored said:

Or package up a decent deal to move down and get one.

So let's say there are roughly four tiers of QBs in the NFL:

Elite- Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, etc

Good- Cousins, Stafford, Brady (at this point in his career), etc

Mediocre- JB, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, etc

Bad- Jameis Winston, Trubisky, Flacco, etc

Now, regardless of where you think those guys actually fit, if we were to trade draft capital from only this year and snag a QB that could end up at least in the good tier, I would consider that completely worth it. I haven't watched the QBs in college too much this year, but from what I've seen only Burrow is elite, but there are a lot of good options. I would trade our second round picks if we could snag one of them, and then we could have JB and Hoyer tutor them their first year. Plus, they would have a great OL, a good RB room, and at least one elite WR and an excellent TE (assuming we resign either Doyel or Ebron) as well as a stout D. If we could achieve this in the draft, we could absolutely be competing for the AFCS with the cows next year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Need the following positions  in a big way:

1. QB

2. RB

3. DL

4. EDGE

5. KICKER

6. WR. etc....

I would move kicker up to 2 or 3. We can't be wasting free points on XP or FG kicks.

Luckily, kickers are always drafted in the late rounds, or are made UFA, so getting even a decent one shouldn't be too hard.

On 12/1/2019 at 9:12 PM, boo2202 said:

Depends of which fan you ask. Some think we’re ready to win a championship now. But yes I’ll say you listed some of the positions we need. I’ll add Tightend to that group and oline depth. 

I wouldn't say we're ready to win a championship now, but if we find a real franchise QB, a kicker, and another good WR, we absolutely could be. Plus, we should have a weaker schedule next year.

On 12/2/2019 at 12:58 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Who is the Broncos QB? Did that Lock kid play well? I didn't pay attention to their game.

I still think the Lions stick with Stafford. He has the strongest arm in the NFL, always plays through injuries (this is the first time he's missed because of injuries, and it's because he has a broken back) and he's loyal to the team.

1 hour ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

That's true, the Giants definitely hang on to bad/mediocre QBs for a long time.

It's also true that the Giants drafted Daniel Jones with the 6th pick in the 1st round in last years draft. He's played pretty well for a rookie . You're thinking they should give up on him ?

1 hour ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Who is the Broncos QB? Did that Lock kid play well? I didn't pay attention to their game.

I still think the Lions stick with Stafford. He has the strongest arm in the NFL, always plays through injuries (this is the first time he's missed because of injuries, and it's because he has a broken back) and he's loyal to the team.

Lock came off IR and won his first game this passed Sunday and looked pretty good. With that defense he will probably do well.

7 hours ago, dw49 said:

It's also true that the Giants drafted Daniel Jones with the 6th pick in the 1st round in last years draft. He's played pretty well for a rookie . You're thinking they should give up on him ?

Honestly I haven’t seen enough of him (I don’t watch Giants games, sue me) but I would think they could do better