Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts passing game is a joke

BProland85

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Threw a short TD pass and had a couple long bombs on the first drive. Guy calling the game said the NFL loves him for his arm strength and  his ability to move in the pocket. Came on too late for me to watch ( 10:30 )but did record it. looked a whole lot different than Thursday night for Ballard on the first drive anyway. 

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There has been some questioning whether he stays in school because his season has not been very good. If Chris is the one there you know they are taking a hard look at him.

He lost virtually every thing around him this year. OL, WRs, RB, Coach, etc...

Not sure why he would stay. He's currently mocked anywhere from mid 1st to mid 2nd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Wilson has been injured before. Wasn't horrible, but lingered most of the year (2016). 

He's a football player and football players, including pocket passers, get hurt. I don't believe Wilson has missed any games despite running the ball a lot. Lots of pocket passers have missed a lot more time. Yet, it is only the QBs that run that fans are cautious about because fans believe those QBs have a higher likelihood of getting hurt.  We don't know that to be true. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

He's a football player and football players, including pocket passers, get hurt. I don't believe Wilson has missed any games despite running the ball a lot. Lots of pocket passers have missed a lot more time. Yet, it is only the QBs that run that fans are cautious about because fans believe those QBs have a higher likelihood of getting hurt.  We don't know that to be true. 

It is proven that RBs get hurt at a higher rate than QBs (general). 

Not a huge jump to assume a QB that also performs as a RB might have a higher injury rate than a pocket passer. Like I said, I think the stigma is overstated, but it's logical to see increased risk.

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He lost virtually every thing around him this year. OL, WRs, RB, Coach, etc...

Not sure why he would stay. He's currently mocked anywhere from mid 1st to mid 2nd.

If he does fall to us and he did well in testing I could see ballard taking him with our first pick if he does love him that much. If we then took a WR in the second it might be a great look for the future. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If he does fall to us and he did well in testing I could see ballard taking him with our first pick if he does love him that much. If we then took a WR in the second it might be a great look for the future. 

I'd prefer to take a DT with the first, Love with our first pick in the second. I think either Love or Tua will be there early 2nd. This WR class is deep, so it should have quality through the first 3 rounds.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'd prefer to take a DT with the first, Love with our first pick in the second. I think either Love or Tua will be there early 2nd. This WR class is deep, so it should have quality through the first 3 rounds.

I wouldn’t touch TUA. He has had to many lower body injuries. I don’t want a injury prone Qb. I am tired of the injury drama from Luck.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wouldn’t touch TUA. He has had to many lower body injuries. I don’t want a injury prone Qb. I am tired of the injury drama from Luck.

I'd prefer Love honestly.

Tua and Luck are very very different people. Read up on Tua's early life. 

Also, Tua doesn't need to be running QB. He can do it with his arm and is highly accurate.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Nobody is asking for Hoyer to come in. Some would like to see what Kelly is capable of if we fall out of playoff contention. Nothing controversial or crazy there.

In terms of "fault", when you have a D that is top 10ish, a running game that is 3rd, and a passing game that went from 6th in 2018 to 29th, it shouldn't shock you when folks question the QB. 

Man can not live on low INTs alone.

I’m not arguing the questioning.  I’m not sold on JB long-term and i’m not convinced he can’t be the answer.

But then, the # of interceptions Luck threw made me question his ability to take us all the way

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Not calling for him to be benched, for better or worse he’s what we’ve got. I just wanted to give perspective as to the level he’s playing at. 

All of a sudden i am thoroughly confused as to what this team is.

Nothing has really changed, just perspective.

Early on, it was easy to blame Vinny for the losses, but more is going on.  I see equal parts blame going to Reich, JB, WRs, OL, and TEs.  

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I’m not arguing the questioning.  I’m not sold on JB long-term and i’m not convinced he can’t be the answer.

But then, the # of interceptions Luck threw made me question his ability to take us all the way

For the umpteenth time, Luck’s interception rate, not volume, was pretty good. 

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

He probably did need to clean it up a little to make a SB run

not even in the running with the passing game we have now, texans are winning the division if colts cant throw it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It is proven that RBs get hurt at a higher rate than QBs (general). 

Not a huge jump to assume a QB that also performs as a RB might have a higher injury rate than a pocket passer. Like I said, I think the stigma is overstated, but it's logical to see increased risk.

That's the problem. Why are these quarterbacks (Jackson, Mahomes, Wilson, Josh Allen) viewed as RBs? Did you view Luck as a RB? He ran about as much as Mahomes has. Comparing their first full years, Luck ran more than Mahomes did. Given that, why is Luck viewed as a pocket passer and Mahomes is not? Yes, Luck did get hurt; that supports your argument. My question is why do you not categorize Mahomes as a pocket passer? Why do you view him as a RB-type QB?

This all goes back to your post where you said Mahomes has "hit a wall" because he missed a few games and that you expect Jackson to get hurt too because he runs a lot. Even if Jackson were to get hurt today, it does not mean that it was because he runs more. All players get hurt. Pocket passers like Stafford, Flacco, Ben are all hurt. Josh Allen runs a lot but he has not missed time this year. So, I disagree with your narrative. 

21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yes, Reich is a big stats/analytics guy, as is Ballard. I find it hilarious that many who worship at their alters are also the ones saying stats don't matter.

Just a thought..... you seem to be an intelligent poster, and bring great points to the board.

I dont "worship at the alter" for anyone .......except for my Father in heaven

I am however estatic with the direction that Reich / Ballard are taking this team

With me..... (Not that it really matters) They have earned the benefit of the doubt

We ARE better as a team.......  we are missing only 2-3 players to get this team to a championship level.

The prior regime left with weaknesses at almost every position group.... and no depth

The people we cut, generally were not picked up by other teams...... They were out of football.

Not even good enough to make another teams PS.

MANY More of the people that we cut TODAY are finding homes on other teams

There is a message there

What is Ballard / Reich supposed to do at QB...... ?

You have a QB that MAY or MAY NOT be good enough to be a top 20 QB

After last week, my faith in JB is faltering greatly.  I watched some tapes of Jordan Love and see the quick choices, quick release, and excellent touch on the ball, and I wonder..... could this kid be developed to become a pro.

He has huge holes to go with his strengths..... he completes a lot of passes to both teams ........   But the skill is undeniable.

I compared some of this with JB and he just clearly doesnt have these kind of base skills.....  

If things dont quickly improve with JB, I think that you have to start looking at other options for next year, or at least have someone that you can develop from that spot. Love is NOT the answer for the Colts (or any team in 2020)

He would kill a team......  but he or someone like him, needs to be on the roster before we start next season. Someone that can be here for the LONG haul

In regards to JB

They will HAVE to come out and publicly support him.....  what are they supposed to do?

There weren't a lot of available choices at that time

You go with what you have

I was surprised with bringing in Hoyer, as I felt that CK earned the back up role in preseason.

I was surprised that we stayed with our kicker, his extra points are an adventure...... ugly.

Other than these two things this year........  we have a much more competitive team.....

all of this without stellar QB play, and with crazy amount of injuries.

This team is better top to bottom....... if we keep improving the steps lead to SB wins.

I used to run very large teams. When I had 1 superstar performer, and 20 average performers, I would get very inconsistent results..... some quarters way up, some quarters way down.

This creates havoc with a P&L statement.  The board and president start to take LONG looks at you.

When I dumped bottom performers, developed and grew, the "middle" of the team and added 1-2 top performers, the numbers and performance went up consistently. 

I looked like a "star" but it ALWAYS the team getting better, top to bottom.

The dynamic duo of Reich and Ballard are well on the way to building a better team.

As I dont live at the complex, and live a full non football life, I give the benefit of the doubt to these guys.

The "fan" in me wants to win every game..... but I realize that building something from the ground up that is sustainable, takes careful steps

I need to be patient.......

Go Colts......

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

That's not what you said in you're original post :dunno:

Haha.  I also think he threw too many.

When it comes down to it, i dont care if you attempt 10 passes in a game or 30, 2 interceptions are two interceptions.  I’m not as concerned with a % relative to attempts, rather the actual  # of turnovers.  But the bulk of them seemed to be of the “bonehead” style.  AL just seemed to have those “what were you thinking” moments at poor times.  I wasnt really comparing to JB, just pointing out most QBs have some “flaw.”

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

He probably did need to clean it up a little to make a SB run

not even in the running with the passing game we have now, texans are winning the division if colts cant throw it

I think we can throw it.  It just comes with more 3 and outs, more chance of turnovers, more time and points for opposition, etc.

i think our gameplan is solid.  If Hilton catches one of those two, or if Hines catches one of those over the middle, or we stop even one of those 3 chunk throws they had, i think we win.

The frustrating thing is we couldnt march down on that final drive.  But we were there again.  I think (for this tear anyway) we just need to hit on thosebplays .  Brissett needs to be a little more sharp (which should happen with more attempts) and our guys need to get separation and CATCH it.  I dont see us far off.

Last year, and earlier this year, Frank seemed to be better at mixing the playcalling.  Now its so run heavy.  Is it due o the running success, the WR injuries and sub-par play?  Where the heck are the TEs?

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am glad to see that they seem to be looking his way

There really aren't that many other potential NFL draftees in that game to see make a trip.

You wonder if they were introduced, and had a chance to talk after the game

Watch the kid throw and move around

He should be available to the Colts at the Washington pick

But.........  He ISNT THE IMMEDIATE ANSWER

He makes TOO MANY BONEHEAD throws........

He needs a "QB whisperer" and some practice time

If we draft him..... he will be gone by our 3rd pick (mid to late 2nd round), JB will be our starter next year 

The narrative about he game plan on Thursday is misleading.  (These numbers are me counting with a pencil on ESPN and could be slightly inaccurate.)

The first 3 Colts drives saw us gain 46 yds.  We had pass plays called 13 times and run plays 8 times.  We had 6 1st downs with run and pass plays called 3 times each.

We scored on the 3 of the next 4 drives.  The one non scoring drive was all pass plays three and out.  The 2 minute drill was all pass plays and netted a field goal.  ON the 2 TD drives we ran 15 times and passed 1 time.  It is hard to argue that this was bad game planning since we scored two TDs.  This is what makes the gameplan seem run heavy.  IT WASN'T RUN HEAVY with the exception of the 2 TD drives which skewd the R/P ratio.

So taking away the 3 scoring drives, 2 of which we ran the ball into the end zone like an old HS football team, and the FG which was all passes in 2Min drill,  we ran 22 pass plays to 16 run plays with 6 passes and 7 runs on 1st downs.  This does not indicate a run heavy offense.

On the last drive, we called 4 runs in a row at one point, but we made  a 1st down on the 1st three of those run plays.

RUNNING was the only thing working.  So when Reich calls runs on the first two plays of the last set set of downs knowing that he will be using 4 downs and the offense had run the ball so effectively, it shouldn't be so surprising.

He probably did it because the team was not moving the ball with the passing game with the exception of the 2 minute drill.  Take that away and the passing looks even more woeful

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

The narrative about he game plan on Thursday is misleading.  (These numbers are me counting with a pencil on ESPN and could be slightly inaccurate.)

The first 3 Colts drives saw us gain 46 yds.  We had pass plays called 13 times and run plays 8 times.  We had 6 1st downs with run and pass plays called 3 times each.

We scored on the 3 of the next 4 drives.  The one non scoring drive was all pass plays three and out.  The 2 minute drill was all pass plays and netted a field goal.  ON the 2 TD drives we ran 15 times and passed 1 time.  It is hard to argue that this was bad game planning since we scored two TDs.  This is what makes the gameplan seem run heavy.  IT WASN'T RUN HEAVY with the exception of the 2 TD drives which skewd the R/P ratio.

So taking away the 3 scoring drives, 2 of which we ran the ball into the end zone like an old HS football team, and the FG which was all passes in 2Min drill,  we ran 22 pass plays to 16 run plays with 6 passes and 7 runs on 1st downs.  This does not indicate a run heavy offense.

On the last drive, we called 4 runs in a row at one point, but we made  a 1st down on the 1st three of those run plays.

RUNNING was the only thing working.  So when Reich calls runs on the first two plays of the last set set of downs knowing that he will be using 4 downs and the offense had run the ball so effectively, it shouldn't be so surprising.

He probably did it because the team was not moving the ball with the passing game with the exception of the 2 minute drill.  Take that away and the passing looks even more woeful

My complaint was he didn’t mix it up enough. If was either all runs or all passes. It didn’t keep the Texans guessing.

We did mix it up Chloe except on the scoring drives.  We mixed it up alot.  

Do you want to improve on the the 2 TD drives that were almsost exclusively runs just to mix it up?

The narrative about the play calling warrants a further investigation.  We weren't 1st down run heavy outside the TD drives either.  6P 7R

The last drive makes it seem that way becasue we ran twice to get to 3rd and 7, but it wasn't that way.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Loves INT are a issue. Does that tend to get better when they move to the pros? I tend to not think so. If your throwing that many in college think of what happens when he gets to the NFL.

I mean as you're so fond of saying a QB needs WRs... there is a stark difference in his TD:INT ratio from his first 2 years to this. Can you guess at some things that have changed?

• Like 1