Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts passing game is a joke


BProland85

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, egg said:

 

 

I have been a big Brissett supporter.

 

But I almost can't believe my eyes.

 

Doyle could not be more wide open. Brissett is not pressured, and appears to be looking right at Doyle, but he doesn't throw the ball? 

 

I am shocked. This is inexcusable.

Remember when Sam Darnold had the game against the Patriots where he said he was seeing ghosts. This game reminded me of that game. It does seem they might of mixed things up and confused him. He wasn’t sure what he was seeing.  It just didn’t feel like he was flat out missing guys. You could see it in his face he wasn’t sure about what he was seeing. Not a excuse but I hate short weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Minshew and Mariota both got benched, they're both pretty much in the same area as Brissett across a number of metrics. 

Can you imagine if Minshew had played against us and outplayed Jacoby lol.

 

Both those situations are a little different than JB. I don’t know if Mariota started his first year but he has had a few years to prove himself as a starter. Minshew is different because they paid Foles a lot of money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Remember when Sam Darnold had the game against the Patriots where he said he was seeing ghosts. This game reminded me of that game. It does seem they might of mixed things up and confused him. He wasn’t sure what he was seeing.  It just didn’t feel like he was flat out missing guys. You could see it in his face he wasn’t sure about what he was seeing. Not a excuse but I hate short weeks.

 

Short weeks work both ways. Darnold was playing the #1 defense thus far this season, we were not. 

 

I'm not sure what's so confusing about looking down field and seeing you guy is open :dunno:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SteelCityColt said:

 

Short weeks work both ways. Darnold was playing the #1 defense thus far this season, we were not. 

 

I'm not sure what's so confusing about looking down field and seeing you guy is open :dunno:

Well you also have to look at what’s they are doing on defense.  I am going to go back to that guys thread and see if what he thinks happen did. Sometimes is not as simple as just missing a open guy.  Teams disguise coverages for a reason. We have even started to do it. Sometimes we fake a blitz just to keep the other team confused and not know when it’s coming. We can’t forget the Texans just got two first round draft picks. 

 

So what happened with Luck when the jags shut us out last year. I don’t remember. They had to do something. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Well you also have to look at what’s they are doing on defense.  I am going to go back to that guys thread and see if what he thinks happen did. Sometimes is not as simple as just missing a open guy.  Teams disguise coverages for a reason. We have even started to do it. Sometimes we fake a blitz just to keep the other team confused and not know when it’s coming. We can’t forget the Texans just got two first round draft picks. 

 

So what happened with Luck when the jags shut us out last year. I don’t remember. They had to do something. 

 

The play from the tweet is damning regardless of what the defense was doing. He's looking downfield, Doyle is open. Throw.. the ... ball. 

 

Draft position means nothing once you're in the league. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an aside. I think Mariota could be a decent QB with a good QB coach. He is a great athlete but never improved. Tough assignment to be an NFL QB as well as any NFL player. I admire all of them and try not to disparage any of them. Some are better than others but they all are great athletes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Just an aside. I think Mariota could be a decent QB with a good QB coach. He is a great athlete but never improved. Tough assignment to be an NFL QB as well as any NFL player. I admire all of them and try no to disparage any of them. Some are better than others but they all are great athletes.

The titans didn’t build around his strengths. They tried to make him a pocket passer. If a team would take him and let him be who he is they might have some success. That’s why I give the ravens credit for not changing who Jackson is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

The play from the tweet is damning regardless of what the defense was doing. He's looking downfield, Doyle is open. Throw.. the ... ball. 

 

Draft position means nothing once you're in the league. 

Yes I know that. 

 

I am just going to enjoy these last five games. I am hoping everyone is back for the titans and we get this offense straightened out. It just makes me think of there had been some continuity things might be a little different. With guys in and out of the lineup the offense never really got to gel. I am a optimist and hope everything gets better with everyone back.  What ever happens in the draft or what decisions they make for the future are out of my control. For the sake of this team I hope we see a great final stretch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Remember when Sam Darnold had the game against the Patriots where he said he was seeing ghosts. This game reminded me of that game. It does seem they might of mixed things up and confused him. He wasn’t sure what he was seeing.  It just didn’t feel like he was flat out missing guys. You could see it in his face he wasn’t sure about what he was seeing. Not a excuse but I hate short weeks.

 

31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

 

 

 

Sorry, this is just indefensible. I still think Brissett gets some undeserved criticism. But if he is not pulling the trigger on guys this wide open, he needs to stop over-thinking things and just play football.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

If he is not prepared for zone by now God help us. I would be shocked if that was the first time he has faced zone in his career. EASTSTREET would know.

He's faced zone before. Every NFL QB has seen zone in college and the NFL. Fangio (Den) runs a lot of zone, Pees (TN) mixes it a lot with man, C3, 4, and 6. etc.. The best teams can do both. NE actually was #1 in both man and zone splits from a graphic I saw somewhere from ESPN. 

 

The Saints are very good in man, but play more zone than anything. Panthers run the most zone in NFL IIRC....

 

Here's a site with a ton of stats. I think it might have zone vs man splits somewhere if you feel like digging. I know they track O personnel groupings very well. If you have a PFF subscription, they rank it to 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/defense.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's faced zone before. Every NFL QB has seen zone in college and the NFL. Fangio (Den) runs a lot of zone, Pees (TN) mixes it a lot with man, C3, 4, and 6. etc.. The best teams can do both. NE actually was #1 in both man and zone splits from a graphic I saw somewhere from ESPN. 

 

The Saints are very good in man, but play more zone than anything. Panthers run the most zone in NFL IIRC....

 

Here's a site with a ton of stats. I think it might have zone vs man splits somewhere if you feel like digging. I know they track O personnel groupings very well. If you have a PFF subscription, they rank it to 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/defense.html

He's faced zone before. Every NFL QB has seen zone in college and the NFL. Fangio (Den) runs a lot of zone, Pees (TN) mixes it a lot with man, C3, 4, and 6. etc.. The best teams can do both. NE actually was #1 in both man and zone splits from a graphic I saw somewhere from ESPN. 

 

The Saints are very good in man, but play more zone than anything. Panthers run the most zone in NFL IIRC....

 

Here's a site with a ton of stats. I think it might have zone vs man splits somewhere if you feel like digging. I know they track O personnel groupings very well. If you have a PFF subscription, they rank it to 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/defense.html

He's faced zone before. Every NFL QB has seen zone in college and the NFL. Fangio (Den) runs a lot of zone, Pees (TN) mixes it a lot with man, C3, 4, and 6. etc.. The best teams can do both. NE actually was #1 in both man and zone splits from a graphic I saw somewhere from ESPN. 

 

The Saints are very good in man, but play more zone than anything. Panthers run the most zone in NFL IIRC....

 

Here's a site with a ton of stats. I think it might have zone vs man splits somewhere if you feel like digging. I know they track O personnel groupings very well. If you have a PFF subscription, they rank it to 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/defense.html

I know he has faced zone before but some on here make it sound like it is a new exotic D that is revolutionizing the new way defenses are being played. Called on you as you seem to be respected have very convincing stats.:thmup:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone that's hating on Jacoby .  Look,  he is the best QB we have.   Andrew left.   He isn't coming back.   Jacoby is our best option.    We all know he isn't as good as Andrew.   However,   he is the guy.    Im not sure why there is so much complaining.    He is the guy.  Get used to it.    Maybe Ballard makes a move in the off season.   But going forward this year.  He is the man

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Anyone that's hating on Jacoby .  Look,  he is the best QB we have.   Andrew left.   He isn't coming back.   Jacoby is our best option.    We all know he isn't as good as Andrew.   However,   he is the guy.    Im not sure why there is so much complaining.    He is the guy.  Get used to it.    Maybe Ballard makes a move in the off season.   But going forward this year.  He is the man

You sir, are correct. He is the man for the next 5 weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Hey @NFLfan, randomly when looking at the QB stats I saw one of the few QBs with a longer average Time to Throw than Brissett was Cousins. 

 

I've not seen  much Vikings this season, how does that match up with how he's been playing, because on the face of it he's having a decent season. 

 

Hey there, SCC. I was not a huge fan of Kirk's despite what appeared to be good-looking stats last year. His 2018 season reminded me a bit of Blake Bortle's 2015 year -- great stats on the surface but if you watched the games, you would know that he did not play as well as the stats may suggest. He seemed to have poor pocket awareness, did not play good situational football, and did not play well when we needed him to. He rarely stepped up in the pocket to avoid sacks or make plays. That frustrated many fans, including me. It seemed that everything had to be working well for him to perform (OL, running game, receivers, etc.)   

 

This year, Cousins is playing a lot better and with more confidence. The Kubiak-style offense suits him well (zone blocking scheme, lots of play action, misdirection). He steps up in the pocket and moves around a bit more.  Some believe he should be considered for MVP (not me). He still has games when you will wonder "what was that", like in a recent game against the Chiefs. He seems to play especially poor against the Bears defense. But overall he is playing better.

 

This is our bye week. We play at Seattle two Mondays from now. I don't expect to win but you never know. :thmup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I know he has faced zone before but some on here make it sound like it is a new exotic D that is revolutionizing the new way defenses are being played. Called on you as you seem to be respected have very convincing stats.:thmup:

Pretty sure watson just destroyed our zone. Maybe it was man. No matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Anyone that's hating on Jacoby .  Look,  he is the best QB we have.   Andrew left.   He isn't coming back.   Jacoby is our best option.    We all know he isn't as good as Andrew.   However,   he is the guy.    Im not sure why there is so much complaining.    He is the guy.  Get used to it.    Maybe Ballard makes a move in the off season.   But going forward this year.  He is the man

Don't see a lot of hating. Critiquing is a whole lot different than hating. There are a few that would like to see C Kelly before the end of the season but unless JB tweeks his knee or something it's not happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Anyone that's hating on Jacoby .  Look,  he is the best QB we have.   Andrew left.   He isn't coming back.   Jacoby is our best option.    We all know he isn't as good as Andrew.   However,   he is the guy.    Im not sure why there is so much complaining.    He is the guy.  Get used to it.    Maybe Ballard makes a move in the off season.   But going forward this year.  He is the man

Yep. There is nothing any of us can do. We don’t even know what they are thinking. They’ve might not even be thinking a QB in the draft but to upgrade his offense.

 

There is also a real possibility that knee was bothering him on a short week. He had two weeks before that jags game to rest it. He has nine days now before the next game.

3 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Pretty sure watson just destroyed our zone. Maybe it was man. No matter.

We played some man.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

You sir, are correct. He is the man for the next 5 weeks.

What are you going to think when we don’t draft a QB. Someone mentioned on here the other day how Dak did not look good and was basically a game manager until they got cooper. Ballard might decide to upgrade WR first then see where we are at after next season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

What are you going to think when we don’t draft a QB. Someone mentioned on here the other day how Dak did not look good and was basically a game manager until they got cooper. Ballard might decide to upgrade WR first then see where we are at after next season.

 

Dak came in for Tony Romo and won the job as a rookie...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

Dak came in for Tony Romo and won the job as a rookie...

That wasn’t my point. You can go back and see media everyone was talking about how he wasn’t that good and he was a game manager. The offense really took off with cooper.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  4 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Pretty sure watson just destroyed our zone. Maybe it was man. No matter.

 

Chloe said:

We played some man.

 

Chloe, the point is all teams play a combo of zone and man. It was brought up earlier in the thread that the Texans played zone the other night and we were ill prepared. If we aren't prepared to play zone I would be shocked as it is played at one time in 99% of the games as well as man in the NFL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This organization has really ignored the WR position when Luck was here. Between bad decisions and guys not working out it’s been ridiculous. Maybe Ballard finally uses some cash or gets someone in the draft. We can’t keep ignoring it. It started with Campbell last year now we need to continue to improve it. When a generational guy retires it’s going to show where there are holes in the roster. That’s a good thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Anyone that's hating on Jacoby .  Look,  he is the best QB we have.   Andrew left.   He isn't coming back.   Jacoby is our best option.    We all know he isn't as good as Andrew.   However,   he is the guy.    Im not sure why there is so much complaining.    He is the guy.  Get used to it.    Maybe Ballard makes a move in the off season.   But going forward this year.  He is the man

I'd say there is less chance of people getting used to it, then you getting used to the critical discussion. Honestly I don't see either happening so long as improvement doesn't happen.

 

It really doesn't have anything to do with Luck. The only time he's brought up is for comparative purposes when some try to shift the dialog or blame other areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

  4 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Pretty sure watson just destroyed our zone. Maybe it was man. No matter.

 

Chloe said:

We played some man.

 

Chloe, the point is all teams play a combo of zone and man. It was brought up earlier in the thread that the Texans played zone the other night and we were ill prepared. If we aren't prepared to play zone I would be shocked as it is played at one time in 99% of the games as well as man in the NFL.

I didn’t mean that was a entire reason. Reich admitted they disguised coverages. It seems part of the reason is that the Texans confused us and we were not prepared. Now that does not excuse looking right at someone open and not throwing them the ball. I am talking the totality of the game. Could it even of been shy Jacoby checked to a run more often because of what he though he saw. Sometimes it is just a bad game. Sometimes there is another side to the story. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This organization has really ignored the WR position when Luck was here. Between bad decisions and guys not working out it’s been ridiculous. Maybe Ballard finally uses some cash or gets someone in the draft. We can’t keep ignoring it. It started with Campbell last year now we need to continue to improve it. When a generational guy retires it’s going to show where there are holes in the roster. That’s a good thing. 

I believe Luck was #5 in total yards last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever happens in the off season I trust them. If they decide to keep Jacoby and upgrade his WR I trust them. If they decide to draft a guy to sit a year I trust them. There will be a lot of people on here very upset if he doesn’t draft someone.

 

If Luck had retired  right after the season was over we probably could of gotten Foles here to reunite with Reich. It didn’t happen now we just have to be patient and see what they do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hoosierhawk said:

I believe Luck was #5 in total yards last year.

And had musical chairs at OL the first third of the season, no RB most of the first third of the season, was getting used to new scheme and coaches, was coming back from a year off, played without TY for 2.5 games and 3 other hobbled games, was playing with several new pass catchers, didn't have Doyle, had a revolving door at X WR, etc., etc. etc..

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I believe Luck was #5 in total yards last year.

That wasn’t my point. Even after the KC game people were screaming for WR because no one could get separation. Even with those numbers we needed a legit number 2. We needed more playmakers no matter who was at QB. We had to bring Inman off the streets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Minshew and Mariota both got benched, they're both pretty much in the same area as Brissett across a number of metrics. 

We don't have aFoles (the #1 coming back), or a Tannehill.

  Thechoice of Hoyer  Or Kelly coming in is laughable, at best.

  i agree it is concerning.  But i’m not sure how much of it is JBs “fault.”

  I expect, and hope, it will be analyzed and addressed after the season.

  Watching the games, my eye has never led me to believe JB is the reason for any of the losses.
  We have watched Peyton then Luck light it up almost week after week .  JB Or not, we’re not wired like that offensively.

Can we be with Jb?  Perhaps we should mix some of that with our run-happy offence (situationally) and give Jb a chance.  If that is the direction Frank, Ballard, etc wanna go.

  I like our gameplan, i think we just need a few chunk plays mixed in.  Im not sure who is gonna catch it, but that is what i see is missing.  3 chunk plays for Houston kinda won them that game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That wasn’t my point. Even after the KC game people were screaming for WR because no one could get separation. Even with those numbers we needed a legit number 2.

in fairness to you people have been clamoring for the WRs to get separation. Don't want to always sound critical of JB but for him to be successful the WRs must get separation and be wide open before  he seems to be able to pull the trigger. He doesn't seem to be adept at anticipating and hitting a WR before they come out of their  or throw them open. I really like JB and am not a JB hater, whatever that is. I have ask the question a few time in the past whether being able to anticipate and read defenses quickly is an innate quality or can it be learned. My feeling is it is innate but hope JB proves me wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

in fairness to you people have been clamoring for the WRs to get separation. Don't want to always sound critical of JB but for him to be successful the WRs must get separation and be wide open before  he seems to be able to pull the trigger. He doesn't seem to be adept at anticipating and hitting a WR before they come out of their  or throw them open. I really like JB and am not a JB hater, whatever that is. I have ask the question a few time in the past whether being able to anticipate and read defenses quickly is an innate quality or can it be learned. My feeling is it is innate but hope JB proves me wrong.

I think no matter who ends up the QB next year or in two years WR is a big need. If Jacoby doesn’t work out then at least you have help for a new QB. Luck couldn’t even win without TY. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lot's of qb discussion here. In my opinion any team that is running the ball through the opponents the way the Colts have this season any nfl caliber qb  should be able to throw for 275 yards a game easily, where's Brissett 160 or so. And it's not the recievers and backs and tight ends, they are the same ones we had last year!!!! Lot's of bizzare factors had a hand in Thursdays loss. Oh,well on to the next game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

We don't have aFoles (the #1 coming back), or a Tannehill.

  Thechoice of Hoyer  Or Kelly coming in is laughable, at best.

  i agree it is concerning.  But i’m not sure how much of it is JBs “fault.”

  I expect, and hope, it will be analyzed and addressed after the season.

  Watching the games, my eye has never led me to believe JB is the reason for any of the losses.
  We have watched Peyton then Luck light it up almost week after week .  JB Or not, we’re not wired like that offensively.

Can we be with Jb?  Perhaps we should mix some of that with our run-happy offence (situationally) and give Jb a chance.  If that is the direction Frank, Ballard, etc wanna go.

  I like our gameplan, i think we just need a few chunk plays mixed in.  Im not sure who is gonna catch it, but that is what i see is missing.  3 chunk plays for Houston kinda won them that game.

Nobody is asking for Hoyer to come in. Some would like to see what Kelly is capable of if we fall out of playoff contention. Nothing controversial or crazy there.

 

In terms of "fault", when you have a D that is top 10ish, a running game that is 3rd, and a passing game that went from 6th in 2018 to 29th, it shouldn't shock you when folks question the QB. 

 

Man can not live on low INTs alone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

We don't have aFoles (the #1 coming back), or a Tannehill.

  Thechoice of Hoyer  Or Kelly coming in is laughable, at best.

  i agree it is concerning.  But i’m not sure how much of it is JBs “fault.”

  I expect, and hope, it will be analyzed and addressed after the season.

  Watching the games, my eye has never led me to believe JB is the reason for any of the losses.
  We have watched Peyton then Luck light it up almost week after week .  JB Or not, we’re not wired like that offensively.

Can we be with Jb?  Perhaps we should mix some of that with our run-happy offence (situationally) and give Jb a chance.  If that is the direction Frank, Ballard, etc wanna go.

  I like our gameplan, i think we just need a few chunk plays mixed in.  Im not sure who is gonna catch it, but that is what i see is missing.  3 chunk plays for Houston kinda won them that game.


Not calling for him to be benched, for better or worse he’s what we’ve got. I just wanted to give perspective as to the level he’s playing at. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...