Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts passing game is a joke


BProland85

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

We did mix it up Chloe except on the scoring drives.  We mixed it up alot.  

 

Do you want to improve on the the 2 TD drives that were almsost exclusively runs just to mix it up?

 

The narrative about the play calling warrants a further investigation.  We weren't 1st down run heavy outside the TD drives either.  6P 7R

 

The last drive makes it seem that way becasue we ran twice to get to 3rd and 7, but it wasn't that way.

The drive after Williams scored we threw three passes and went three and out. That is what I am talking about. Why did we throw three passes when the previous drive we just ran it down their throat. Throw a run in that drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

The drive after Williams scored we threw three passes and went three and out. That is what I am talking about. Why did we throw three passes when the previous drive we just ran it down their throat. Throw a run in that drive.

 

My guess is to mix it up.  When you pass on first down and don't gain anything, then you are at 2nd and 10.  Do you call a run or a pass?  Well sometimes you call a run sometimes a pass.  THen on 3rd with 2 failed passes you have to call a pass.  


Are you suggesting be predictiable and run on every 1st down.  Do you think we should run on every 2nd and 10?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

I'm good with sitting Love and starting Brissett for another year. 

What a situation that would be if JB came out and was vastly improved and pulled a Foles. I guess it would be a good thing to have a QB controversy.  Do you think a guy like Love would be ready in a year? Would they also be comfy with him as the backup?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Threw a short TD pass and had a couple long bombs on the first drive. Guy calling the game said the NFL loves him for his arm strength and  his ability to move in the pocket. Came on too late for me to watch ( 10:30 )but did record it. looked a whole lot different than Thursday night for Ballard on the first drive anyway. 

i hope ballard does not draft one of these project qbs, it will take several years for them to adjust to the nfl, i dont see any nfl ready qbs in this draft, i hope if ballard changes qbs he works a deal to get a proven talent so we dont have to wait several years to see if a rookie can develop, the luck and mannings are not in this class of rookies

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The drive after Williams scored we threw three passes and went three and out. That is what I am talking about. Why did we throw three passes when the previous drive we just ran it down their throat. Throw a run in that drive.

 

I could not understand it.

 

The Texans had no answer to the run at that time. It was automatic 4 or 5 yards just handing it off....But he calls 3 pass plays? ... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i hope ballard does not draft one of these project qbs, it will take several years for them to adjust to the nfl, i dont see any nfl ready qbs in this draft, i hope if ballard changes qbs he works a deal to get a proven talent so we dont have to wait several years to see if a rookie can develop, the luck and mannings are not in this class of rookies

Did you see one with Wilson, Mahomes, Brady, Allen, etc? I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that any are a sure thing. A few years ago a QB from LSU  Demarkus Russell, who was 1st overall pick in the draft  totally bombed out. Then you have a guy like Wilson who was drafted in the 3rd who I believe started from day one. It's always a roll of the dice, in the NFL as well as life itself.

If you buy a car and it happens to be a lemon, would you never buy another car because of that? I'm sure not. As I mentioned, nothing is guaranteed so you have to still move forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

I mean as you're so fond of saying a QB needs WRs... there is a stark difference in his TD:INT ratio from his first 2 years to this. Can you guess at some things that have changed?

-his HC and playcaller, most of his offensive coaching staff

-4 out of 5 OLinemen

-his top 3 passing targets 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

What a situation that would be if JB came out and was vastly improved and pulled a Foles. I guess it would be a good thing to have a QB controversy.  Do you think a guy like Love would be ready in a year? Would they also be comfy with him as the backup?

This would be on the coaching staff. IMO the moment you draft a QB this high(lets say in the 1st or early 2nd) the top priority for this coaching staff should be making him ready to play. If he's ready year 1, you play him, if not - let him learn behind Brissett. For year 2 he definitely should be ready or IMO you've either made a mistake with your coaching staff or your choice of QB in the draft. I'm not saying he should be a finished product, but he should be able to run an NFL offense with some success.

 

By next year whoever our QB is should have a relatively good cast of players around him. The OLine is already way above average(although, I would be looking to make improvements at RG), we have good stable of backs, and hopefully we will have better receiving corps next year. TE is kind of a question mark with all of our TEs being FAs after this season. But still... I think this is a good environment to put a young QB in. You rarely have this complete of an offensive staff around a starting rookie QB(because most of the ones that start, start for bad teams).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am glad to see that they seem to be looking his way

 

There really aren't that many other potential NFL draftees in that game to see make a trip.

 

You wonder if they were introduced, and had a chance to talk after the game

 

Watch the kid throw and move around

 

He should be available to the Colts at the Washington pick

 

But.........  He ISNT THE IMMEDIATE ANSWER

 

He makes TOO MANY BONEHEAD throws........

 

He needs a "QB whisperer" and some practice time

 

If we draft him..... he will be gone by our 3rd pick (mid to late 2nd round), JB will be our starter next year 

 

I think JB is going to be our starter next year unless he really looks bad down the stretch.  They will get him some more weapons and give him another year.  I do think we will draft a QB and Love looks like a nice candidate.  He or anyone could develop behind JB and maybe Coach is the" whisperer" they need.   I remember Manning making a ton of bad throws his 1st year.  I think those are errors that can be corrected with coaching and experience.  I also think we are only two or three players away and I still think JB is capable of doing it with a better cast of WRs around him.  All we can do is sit tight and watch the season unfold the rest of the way.  I'm sure a lot of our thinking could change by the end of the year.  Right now we just have to root for the team and watch our young guys continue to improve.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope he comes out and redeems himself against the titans. Every QB will miss reads once in awhile. Thursday night it was clearly the worst he had been all season. I am going with the knee on a short  week had him thinking about it to much. I think the same thing happened with TY And his drops. He was so busy thinking about his calf.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was listening to the Jersey Johnny show this morning and what amazed me was he said the same thing that JMV and Dan Dakich said on Friday. All 3 said we have a spoiled fan base and most of our fans can't stand to have a game manager as a QB but can still win games. That is 3 guys that said that on their show on 1070 the fan (radio). If it was 1 guy that would be 1 thing but 3 local media guys saying that stands out.

 

With some in here, JB never stood a chance to begin with because he isn't Peyton or Luck and never will be. He isn't flashy and doesn't put up huge numbers. Some in here want us to draft a QB to replace JB, talk about a crapshoot. Some are in love with Love but what if he isn't any good and we waste a draft pick on him? I am not saying JB is the answer either but I say at least lets see how the season plays out. JB played his worst game of the season on Thursday but it is just 1 game and we still barely lost. I see a few that keep saying draft Love, what if we do and he flops?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was listening to the Jersey Johnny show this morning and what amazed me was he said the same thing that JMV and Dan Dakich said on Friday. All 3 said we have a spoiled fan base and most of our fans can't stand to have a game manager as a QB but can still win games. That is 3 guys that said that on their show on 1070 the fan (radio). If it was 1 guy that would be 1 thing but 3 local media guys saying that stands out.

 

With some in here, JB never stood a chance to begin with because he isn't Peyton or Luck and never will be. He isn't flashy and doesn't put up huge numbers. Some in here want us to draft a QB to replace JB, talk about a crapshoot. Some are in love with Love but what if he isn't any good and we waste a draft pick on him? I am not saying JB is the answer either but I say at least lets see how the season plays out. JB played his worst game of the season on Thursday but it is just 1 game and we still barely lost. I see a few that keep saying draft Love, what if we do and he flops?  

To be honest the only reason many on here want to draft Love is because Ballard was at his game.  If he watches another QB they will want that guy.  Just human nature.  I think the reporters are right about a spoiled fan base.  We have been used to excellent QB play for well over a decade.  And that only resulted in one SB.  People find it hard to believe that we can still win with a game manager.  And we can as long as he has a strong supporting cast and a strong defense.  And that is what Ballard is building.  I think we are very close to becoming a championship team and I can't wait to see what the rest of the season brings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

I’m not sure why, but I can get the All 22 for the game on my iPad now, but not there yet on PC. Doesn’t really make sense to me...I keep refreshing but still not there yet.

 

Thank you, thank you!!

 

I still don't have All 22 on my Dell laptop,  but I installed the NFL app on my iPad, logged in with my NFL account, looked around. Sure enough, there was section to log into game pass account and coaches fil is there, and started up!

 

But my screen is on 9.7 inches. So... I fire up my AppleTV, and mirror... It works!

 

But It doesn't take long to notice the Slo-Mo feature is missing on the iOS app. :(

 

Better than nothing though.  Thanks again. In the future, I'll be checking my iPad as often as my laptop then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Does anyone fear with the QB situation we are going to waste Leonard’s and Nelson’s career. By the time we figure it out they will be getting older. I know they are still so young but dang we were ready with Luck to win.

i feel we are wasting it now, sticking with JB for years is doing exactly what you are afraid of imo 

 

a rookie may take time to develop but where do Colts rank in passing now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Does anyone fear with the QB situation we are going to waste Leonard’s and Nelson’s career. By the time we figure it out they will be getting older. I know they are still so young but dang we were ready with Luck to win.

yes

Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be a little far fetched. What if they were able to talk Luck out of retirement for a year or two. Draft love as his backup and trade Jacoby. I don’t know if anyone saw but Lucks daughter was born a couple weeks ago. Is it possible he didn’t want to be rehabbing his ankle all season after games and missing out on his newborn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

 

 

With some in here, JB never stood a chance to begin with because he isn't Peyton or Luck and never will be. He isn't flashy and doesn't put up huge numbers. Some in here want us to draft a QB to replace JB, talk about a crapshoot. Some are in love with Love but what if he isn't any good and we waste a draft pick on him? I am not saying JB is the answer either but I say at least lets see how the season plays out. JB played his worst game of the season on Thursday but it is just 1 game and we still barely lost. I see a few that keep saying draft Love, what if we do and he flops?  

 

Anyone that we choose, whether its the first 1-5 picks of the draft,..... OR a FA.....  OR..... a later pick can fail.

 

With QBs taken in the first 15 picks of the first round....  probably over 50% dont work out

 

Unless we lost the rest of our games, we are going to have to give up very large draft capitol to be in range of the better, top,  prospects

 

Love appears to have the basic skills that is needed to be a successful QB in NFL....... he just needs to work on the basics (I believe)

 

Love is attractive as he should still be available with our Redskins pick, and we have a QB to keep us at least average until he would be ready

 

Personally I hoped JB would be THE guy.  

 

He is still being tested....So far......  he hasnt proven to be the long term answer for our QB spot

 

I am very much starting to fear that the slow read and slow release may not be able to be resolved with JB

 

We will see....... I remain hopeful, but my hope in JB is starting to falter

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i feel we are wasting it now, sticking with JB for years is doing exactly what you are afraid of imo 

 

a rookie may take time to develop but where do Colts rank in passing now?

He is only under contract for one more year. We won’t be sticking with him for years. We had no choice this year. The only thing different that could of happened is if Luck would of retired after the season and we could of got Foles. That would of been a easy one to get with Reich here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

This could be a little far fetched. What if they were able to talk Luck out of retirement for a year or two. Draft love as his backup and trade Jacoby. I don’t know if anyone saw but Lucks daughter was born a couple weeks ago. Is it possible he didn’t want to be rehabbing his ankle all season after games and missing out on his newborn.

 

Moving on to the future is all I want to see.  You can swing and miss in the draft.  But I think it is chrystal clear that JB is not good enough. Any snaps he takes are place holding snaps I hope.  

 

Luck playing again would make this team the instant favorite to go to the Superbowl in the AFC imo.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Does anyone fear with the QB situation we are going to waste Leonard’s and Nelson’s career. By the time we figure it out they will be getting older. I know they are still so young but dang we were ready with Luck to win.

They are both young. 

 

I doubt wasting is on Ballard's mind

 

I would like to see more of 2018 Leonard........  The 2019 version isnt making plays

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is only under contract for one more year. We won’t be sticking with him for years. We had no choice this year. The only thing different that could of happened is if Luck would of retired after the season and we could of got Foles. That would of been a easy one to get with Reich here.

 Yep.  Luck screwed the organization over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

They are both young. 

 

I doubt wasting is on Ballard's mind

 

I would like to see more of 2018 Leonard........  The 2019 version isnt making plays

 

 

I'm sorry dude but that is just dead wrong

 

Oops my bad.  EDIT.  Thought you said Nelson isn't making plays.  Leonard was a bit over hyped last year because of number of tackles.  But I agree he isn't as impactful as last year.  He's always been bad in coverage and has been decent after the concussion.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, egg said:

 

I could not understand it.

 

The Texans had no answer to the run at that time. It was automatic 4 or 5 yards just handing it off....But he calls 3 pass plays? ... 

That is correct.  Not only did we move the ball by running it, we were moving the ball by calling the exact same running play.

 

When Frank tried to mix it up by calling pass plays after the run heavy scoring drive did we go three and out.

 

And, our running plays to the edge were less fruitful than were are running plays inside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MikeCurtis said:

They are both young. 

 

I doubt wasting is on Ballard's mind

 

I would like to see more of 2018 Leonard........  The 2019 version isnt making plays

 

 

He has made plays and been robbed. Just like the fumble Thursday. The two games before that he was robbed of TD’s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

 

Anyone that we choose, whether its the first 1-5 picks of the draft,..... OR a FA.....  OR..... a later pick can fail.

 

With QBs taken in the first 15 picks of the first round....  probably over 50% dont work out

 

Unless we lost the rest of our games, we are going to have to give up very large draft capitol to be in range of the better, top,  prospects

 

Love appears to have the basic skills that is needed to be a successful QB in NFL....... he just needs to work on the basics (I believe)

 

Love is attractive as he should still be available with our Redskins pick, and we have a QB to keep us at least average until he would be ready

 

Personally I hoped JB would be THE guy.  

 

He is still being tested....So far......  he hasnt proven to be the long term answer for our QB spot

 

I am very much starting to fear that the slow read and slow release may not be able to be resolved with JB

 

We will see....... I remain hopeful, but my hope in JB is starting to falter

 

 

Very fair post and from the film I have watched/actually video I like how Love has looked at times. I am just not high on this years QB class. Burrow is going #1 so he is out of the picture. Tua is damaged goods, that sounds harsh but a hip injury is real bad even if it heals properly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Watch this play. This sums up Jacobys season.

 

 

 

I'm asking.  What is JBs proper first and second read here?

 

There have been criticisms that he either stares down his first read, or that the receiver has to be wide open for JB to throw it.

 

Well, if Doyle was his first read then JB would have thrown it to Doyle if both criticisms are valid, because Doyle was wide open at the point JB would have looked at him first.

 

Its one of those criticisms of JB where we all see an open receiver that JB doesn't, when we don't know what the order of his progressions were on any given play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

To be honest the only reason many on here want to draft Love is because Ballard was at his game.  If he watches another QB they will want that guy.  Just human nature.  I think the reporters are right about a spoiled fan base.  We have been used to excellent QB play for well over a decade.  And that only resulted in one SB.  People find it hard to believe that we can still win with a game manager.  And we can as long as he has a strong supporting cast and a strong defense.  And that is what Ballard is building.  I think we are very close to becoming a championship team and I can't wait to see what the rest of the season brings. 

Yeah I just want to see how the season plays out. It is not like JB is Curtis Painter, Scott Tolzein, or Hoyer, etc.. JB can win games and has proven it. Thursday stunk but all that said we barely lost on the road and JB was bad. Most think Watson is very good, not like we lost to a scrub.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I just want to see how the season plays out. It is not like JB is Curtis Painter, Scott Tolzein, or Hoyer, etc.. JB can win games and has proven it. Thursday stunk but all that said we barely lost on the road and JB was bad. Most think Watson is very good, not like we lost to a scrub.

Watson is supposed to be a top five QB and yet we still only lost by 3. I think that is pretty good.  All we missed was a couple chunk plays to keep up with their big plays. I am not sold on their defense. I won’t be surprised if they end up with a couple more losses. They still have TN twice and the broncos who have great defenses. We have such a good defense we just need a little more out of the offense. I mean we have not been blown out once.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

 

Anyone that we choose, whether its the first 1-5 picks of the draft,..... OR a FA.....  OR..... a later pick can fail.

 

With QBs taken in the first 15 picks of the first round....  probably over 50% dont work out

 

Unless we lost the rest of our games, we are going to have to give up very large draft capitol to be in range of the better, top,  prospects

 

Love appears to have the basic skills that is needed to be a successful QB in NFL....... he just needs to work on the basics (I believe)

 

Love is attractive as he should still be available with our Redskins pick, and we have a QB to keep us at least average until he would be ready

 

Personally I hoped JB would be THE guy.  

 

He is still being tested....So far......  he hasnt proven to be the long term answer for our QB spot

 

I am very much starting to fear that the slow read and slow release may not be able to be resolved with JB

 

We will see....... I remain hopeful, but my hope in JB is starting to falter

 

 


Maybe someone were offer a 2nd Rd pick for JB. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Watson is supposed to be a top five QB and yet we still only lost by 3. I think that is pretty good.  All we missed was a couple chunk plays to keep up with their big plays. I am not sold on their defense. I won’t be surprised if they end up with a couple more losses. They still have TN twice and the broncos who have great defenses. We have such a good defense we just need a little more out of the offense. I mean we have not been blown out once.

In all honesty if I was a Houston fan and had lost the other night I would've been furious. They were at home and have a top 10 QB in the league, we already beat them once as well. We still barely lost and was up 17-10, we had them sweating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Thank you, thank you!!

 

I still don't have All 22 on my Dell laptop,  but I installed the NFL app on my iPad, logged in with my NFL account, looked around. Sure enough, there was section to log into game pass account and coaches fil is there, and started up!

 

But my screen is on 9.7 inches. So... I fire up my AppleTV, and mirror... It works!

 

But It doesn't take long to notice the Slo-Mo feature is missing on the iOS app. :(

 

Better than nothing though.  Thanks again. In the future, I'll be checking my iPad as often as my laptop then.

Right, no slo-mo nor is there a list of plays to jump around to. Have to watch it all or do the 10 second fast forward. 
 

I’ve also download the nfl app to a smart tv to use game pass to rewatch games on, instead of using my iPad or PC...but I haven’t checked to see what the All-22 film looks like using that approach. I may try that later. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:
3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Loves INT are a issue. Does that tend to get better when they move to the pros? I tend to not think so. If your throwing that many in college think of what happens when he gets to the NFL.

He had 32 TDs and 6 INTs last year. Has new coaching staff and totally rebuilt offensive personnel around him. Hard to say how he will fare in the NFL but just hope NE doesn't draft him.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:
3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Loves INT are a issue. Does that tend to get better when they move to the pros? I tend to not think so. If your throwing that many in college think of what happens when he gets to the NFL.

He had 32 TDs and 6 INTs last year. Has new coaching staff and totally rebuilt offensive personnel around him. Hard to say how he will fare in the NFL but just hope NE doesn't draft him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

I mean as you're so fond of saying a QB needs WRs... there is a stark difference in his TD:INT ratio from his first 2 years to this. Can you guess at some things that have changed?

^^^ This, Kinda glad hes had a rough year, gives him a better shot at slipping to our range.

 

So Ballard may not have been with the chiefs by the time they pulled the trigger on Mahomes, but his scouting work on him was there for the Chiefs prior. I fully trust his ability with picking QBs, and If Ballard has been this high on Love since before the season began, I'm inclined to believe he is very interested on pulling that trigger, especially after this past game, and him showing up in person to watch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was listening to the Jersey Johnny show this morning and what amazed me was he said the same thing that JMV and Dan Dakich said on Friday. All 3 said we have a spoiled fan base and most of our fans can't stand to have a game manager as a QB but can still win games. That is 3 guys that said that on their show on 1070 the fan (radio). If it was 1 guy that would be 1 thing but 3 local media guys saying that stands out.

 

With some in here, JB never stood a chance to begin with because he isn't Peyton or Luck and never will be. He isn't flashy and doesn't put up huge numbers. Some in here want us to draft a QB to replace JB, talk about a crapshoot. Some are in love with Love but what if he isn't any good and we waste a draft pick on him? I am not saying JB is the answer either but I say at least lets see how the season plays out. JB played his worst game of the season on Thursday but it is just 1 game and we still barely lost. I see a few that keep saying draft Love, what if we do and he flops?  

 

I want to like JB, I really do. He makes it easy with his personality and leadership.

 

However this Colts roster is too talented to be where it is now. Colts are becoming a one dimensional team. To have 4 games at 151 yards or below (not counting his injury game) is inexcusable. The offense isn’t doing enough and it starts with the QB.

 

I honestly don’t understand the love for this guy. I don’t hate him and I tried to give him a chance. There is still time

left this season but he IS NOT the answer.

 

Also just because “we are spoiled” doesn’t mean that we should have to settle for mediocre QB play. You should always want the best QB for your team. That argument doesn’t make sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been curious about how Ballard and Reich feel about drafting a potential future replacement, whether they're on the same side of the fence or not. I've said it before but I'm curious how much longer Reich will be for. I mean, I don't have much reason to believe it he'll retire within the next 5+ years but I just have doubts that he'll be one of those guys coaching into his mid 60s.

 

Basically, I just wonder if he's pro-developing a potential replacement or if he's all in on JB. Obviously, he's said all the right things about JB in the media, but going by our gameplan's and taking the ball out of JB's hands, you wonder what he truly thinks.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...