Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts passing game is a joke

BProland85

50 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is what I mean, I have no idea what Colts team will show up next week. I thought the Jags game would be real close and we blew them out. I thought even with Hoyer we would beat Miami, we did not.

I think we will have a healthier TY and we should have Campbell and Funchess back.  Coverages will be very different than with just TY on the field.  Should open things up for our TEs as well.  Hopefully the offense we were expecting to see will finally show up. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Have you watched the All22? Because there are a lot of plays where he flat out fails to make the proper read, or is way too slow to diagnose and the defense closes the window. 

Flat out, he has to improve his ability to make timely reads, and make the throws. He's being too timid, but a pick or two is okay if you throw for 400 and 4 TDs. 

Nope, don't have all22. I keep waffling because I already have way too many subscriptions. And I mean way too many. And I only feel the need to buy it when I see so many bad hot takes. 

In short, the guys that have it already are enablers lol

54 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

The Ravens situation is a good analogue in some respects. Flacco the incumbent, his job to lose, with a raw prospect on the bench. 

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with Jackson, namely when someone actually can square him up and hit him hard, but I also though Mahomes couldn't reproduce last year. 

Not that I follow the college game, but if Love/Eason is there in the 2nd, I wouldn't be too upset. 

My biggest back on Jackson is the injury potential. Mahomes actually hit that wall this year. It's only time before it happens to Jackson as well if he keep up the running. Mahomes though can rely on passing. Jackson has shown great improvement there as well, but really needs to run to as effective. 

39 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Well the chances it could happen are pretty good if we get everyone back healthy the last few games. This to me is where I am really evaluating this offense because this is how it should of looked all season. If we get everyone back and it doesn’t improve then it might be time to look for another QB. We still need a WR who is another deep threat though in the draft.

I bet Ballard and Reich even realize that the injuries have effected things in a big way and will weigh on their decision. 

I don't get all the "we need a deep threat WR" talk given the lack of air yards all year long. If anything, JB needs a bigger and more dynamic possession WR with speed.

37 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

For me to be satisfied we have to win a SB, or make the playoffs and have a legit shot at bare minimum. 

If you aren't playing for that, then what's the point?

I just want to be SB capable... or AFC championship capable.... with a QB that is truly capable of winning any game, not one that needs "clutch" or superman moments to do so. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Yep. And in 2017 Wentz got injured and didn't play the last 3 games in which they passed 51% of the time(which drags the overall stat for the season down too).

You want a conspiracy theory? (Disclaimer: THIS IS A CONSPIRACY THEORY AND I AM DOING IT MORE AS A FUN HYPOTHETICAL THAN THINKING IT'S TRUE AND I HAVE ZERO EVIDENCE IT'S TRUE) 

So... what if Reich knew Luck is retiring after the season and started preparing the team and the fans for run heavy team next season through his media statements? There were so many weird statements about the run game in the off-season from him... you can browse old threads here and see me expressing concern for those statements even at the time. 

I am with you...I think they knew for a long time. Not only were there comments about the run game...but JB as well,

TY is the only deep threat we have. We need another one. I guess Campbell could improve in that area as he is still developing as a all around WR. I just look at it this way. If we get another WR with speed and add that to TY and Campbell that would be a really good group and also gives us a better group after TY retires. Have to look at the future. TY is already starting to break down. We have  lot of procession guys right now and we need to stretch the field more. It doesn’t matter if the deep threat is big or not. If he is even better. I guess you mean someone like Hopkins. He is both.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Someone posted on here how Manning wanted to have guys wide open and I think it was Moore who had to work with him because guys in the nfl don’t get wide open. I still want to give Jacoby a year and see if he can improve that aspect of his game. I do have faith in Reich and the QB coach he can get better at that.

Yes, that happened his first training camp, and if you watch his first game it is obvious he got over it real quick.  He did have a lot of INTs that year, but he got better.  The difference is that Peyton wasn't scared to pull the trigger once he realized that the windows were going to be much smaller. 

4 years into it with JB and the processing and anticipation are just not there. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Is it there, or is Holder full of sheet

He might have it, I just know I still don't!

Here's proof-

NH7izyo.jpg

The choices are-

teLUM1E.jpg

:(

Last week games,

lnK3kUp.jpg

As you can see, I can watch All 22 of any game this season, except the Thursday night game.

It's has to be available soon, I would think.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

Here's proof-

NH7izyo.jpg

The choices are-

teLUM1E.jpg

Last week games,

lnK3kUp.jpg

As you can see, I can watch All 22 of any game this season, except the Thursday night game.

So either Holder is special, or FOS... 

Knowing his history, tend to think the later. 

12 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Here's proof-

NH7izyo.jpg

The choices are-

teLUM1E.jpg

Last week games,

lnK3kUp.jpg

I’m not sure why, but I can get the All 22 for the game on my iPad now, but not there yet on PC. Doesn’t really make sense to me...I keep refreshing but still not there yet.

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I was just kidding. But he is full of stuff a lot.

To be fair he keeps looking for guys open on  the film. I don’t think he truly understands how the QB has to throw before the guy is open or finishes the route. I don’t think  he is purposely trying to make JB look better then what he is. I just think he is only thinking one way with guys being open. 

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

To be fair he keeps looking for guys open on  the film. I don’t think he truly understands how the QB has to throw before the guy is open or finishes the route. I don’t think  he is purposely trying to make JB look better then what he is. I just think he is only thinking one way with guys being open. 

I'm just not a fan of Holder. I wouldn't call him a total fan boy, but he's close. I know media guys can't full blown honesty because they need access, but I just find him very shallow on a lot of issues, and afraid to be critical at times. His all-22 tweets are often lacking in depth. Maybe his Atlantic stuff has more depth, but the few I've read didn't come across as someone looking deep, only someone looking for a quick headline or narrative. In short, a lot of click stuff, and confirmation bias.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I am with you...I think they knew for a long time. Not only were there comments about the run game...but JB as well,

Either that or... they really thought JB is top 20 QB(which he might be in the general range of) and Reich really thought that being around ~20th in the run game(by whatever measurement we choose, we were in that general range) is not sufficient and thought the best OL in the league should be much better than this so decided to emphasize it.(I still don't like his rationalization for it in front of the media, though) And it just happened that Luck got injured and retired during the summer... 

I don't know. The official version doesn't seem unreasonable for sure. 

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm just not a fan of Holder. I wouldn't call him a total fan boy, but he's close. I know media guys can't full blown honesty because they need access, but I just find him very shallow on a lot of issues, and afraid to be critical at times. His all-22 tweets are often lacking in depth. Maybe his Atlantic stuff has more depth, but the few I've read didn't come across as someone looking deep, only someone looking for a quick headline or narrative. In short, a lot of click stuff, and confirmation bias.

I think he has been fair. What I have liked Biyt him and Zak Keefer is they don’t over react. They keep things in perspective. Which is what a media writer should do.

I am one of those people that don’t like hearing fans and media calling players trash and they are garbage. They might be struggling and not very good but I just don’t like those kind of reactions. They are all trying their best. If it doesn’t work out then you move on. 

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think he has been fair. What I have liked Biyt him and Zak Keefer is they don’t over react. They keep things in perspective. Which is what a media writer should do.

I am one of those people that don’t like hearing fans and media calling players trash and they are garbage. They might be struggling and not very good but I just don’t like those kind of reactions. They are all trying their best. If it doesn’t work out then you move on. 

Media guys should never call players names. They should however not shy away from being critical. Keep it professional, but keep it real. Holder IMO is afraid to be critical at times. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yeah, I agree.  They were good enough to make it to the NFL.  That speaks volumes regarding their talent.  The competition is just much tougher.  And not everyone makes it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

It's not gonna happen. But I would love to see Kelly get a shot to go out and sling it. I know this is gonna get alot of heat. But JB and I have tried to get behind is boring to watch and is not the answer. 

They won’t do it because they are going to be evaluating JB right to the end. Especially when he gets all the WR healthy. They know that the WR core has been  a mess. Guys have been in and out of the lineup and there has been no continuity. You can bet that they want to see what he does when they are all healthy. It will also weigh in on what they decide to do in the draft. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I agree but there is no one open until Ebron slides back over it looks like. I get your point.

Also, pause it at the 7 second mark. Clean pocket, WR to the near sideline has his man dusted. There is safety help that comes over later, but that's why it needs to be thrown earlier. It was only a 2WR/1TE call, so you can expect tight coverage.

• Like 1

I do wish we would incorporate more quick developing routes where the ball is supposed to come out quicker. I thought the first game against the chargers we did really well with that.  I don’t think we use Hines as much in those kind of situations like we should. I thought with Campbell in the Steelers game we did a good job of that when Jacoby was in there. If Campbell’s hand doesn’t cause a issue maybe we will see more of that. I really think if he hadn’t got injured so much he would of been a bigger weapon.

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They won’t do it because they are going to be evaluating JB right to the end. Especially when he gets all the WR healthy. They know that the WR core has been  a mess. Guys have been in and out of the lineup and there has been no continuity. You can bet that they want to see what he does when they are all healthy. It will also weigh in on what they decide to do in the draft. 

ballard is not going after a qb untill the lower rounds, there are no day one nfl ready qbs in this draft, all seem to projects, i think he will be looking for game changers at the other positions, especially wr

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I do wish we would incorporate more quick developing routes where the ball is supposed to come out quicker. I thought the first game against the chargers we did really well with that.  I don’t think we use Hines as much in those kind of situations like we should. I thought with Campbell in the Steelers game we did a good job of that when Jacoby was in there. If Campbell’s hand doesn’t cause a issue maybe we will see more of that. I really think if he hadn’t got injured so much he would of been a bigger weapon.

There are plenty of plays that are "meant" to be quick hitters. This was not one of them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

ballard is not going after a qb untill the lower rounds, there are no day one nfl ready qbs in this draft, all seem to projects, i think he will be looking for game changers at the other positions, especially wr

There is a lot in play though if you take one in the lower rounds. Depends on how low your talking. Would they be comfortable with a guy like that as the backup. Do they think Kelly can be promoted to backup next year. Do they keep hoyer and keep 3 QB on the roster. Not sure they will take one that low. If they go after one it will be with the intent of being a starter after a year of sitting. If that’s what they are looking for they are going to take one higher if their guy is there.

I would love to be a fly on the wall and know what Ballard and Reich are thinking. For all we know they might think we just need to get Jacoby better weopons. But that also doesn’t mean they don’t do their homework on QB. They have to be prepared if someone they really like falls to them. I would not want TUA if he falls. Way to many lower body injuries. That’s a good way to set your franchise up for disaster.