Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have chance to lock up the division in the next two weeks

NorthernBlue

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Top heavy team. They go as far as Watson, Hopkins, and Watt takes em. That’s why Watt’s injury is so huge.

And the Packers as far as Rodgers takes them, and the Chiefs as far as Mahomes takes them, and the Colts as far as Brissett takes them, as we saw when Hoyer was forced to play... 

You can use that narrative with every team. 

12 minutes ago, Qwiz said:

And the Packers as far as Rodgers takes them, and the Chiefs as far as Mahomes takes them, and the Colts as far as Brissett takes them, as we saw when Hoyer was forced to play... 

Not really though. That's why teams with D and a running game are harder to deal with in the postseason for the elite QB's that don't have that help.

37 minutes ago, Myles said:

Lamar has been throwing the ball very well.  Over 66% completion, 19 TD's and 5 INT's.   It's a tough offense to stop.   They haven't scored less than 23 points in a game.   Scored over 40 points 3 times (59,49,41).   I think they are definitely the team to be afraid of.  

I still think there's a way to slow that attack down.  Same way it was with RG3 and Kaepernick. In fact their Coordinator was there with Tom Rathman in San Fran when he implemented that system.  I don't think he's been made one dimensional yet.  That's the key to whole thing and why his stats look as they do.   I still don't think he'd be all that effective if you make him one dimensional.   Baltimore always looks scary in one way or another every season.  I'd be willing to bet he's not that great of a passer if you shut down that running game.

On 11/17/2019 at 5:06 PM, NorthernBlue said:

Next two games are against Houston and Titans. Win both, we're 8-4,  and 5-0 in the division and 2-0 against HOU and Tenn. Houston has New England right after they play us. If they lose that game too that puts them at 6-6 and 2.5 back of us with just 4 games left. Colts have a huge opportunity to gain a stranglehold on the division. 

Great win today. I decided to stay off the forum for a week after the Dolphins loss because I ain't gonna lie, some of y'all can become quite insufferable when we lose haha 

If we're 8-4 and they're 6-6, then they are 2.0 games behind us.  Each win we have above them is 0.5 games lead and each loss they have above ours is another 0.5 games lead in our favor.

Naturally, that wouldn't be "locked up" in a mathematical sense.  It would certainly sway the probability in our favor.  They've got games against the Titans, Broncos and Bucs the last 4 games and they could easily win all those.  We should beat the Bucs, Panthers and Jaguars, though the Saints will be tough.  

But as the saying goes, they play the games for a reason.  We could implode, they could implode, or it plays out like we all think it would or some variation in between.  But beating your division rivals is always a recipe for a playoff birth.  Go Colts!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Not really though. That's why teams with D and a running game are harder to deal with in the postseason for the elite QB's that don't have that help.

Take away any team’s top three players and they are bound to struggle more than they would if those guys were playing, of course. He wasn’t just talking about the quarterback position. 

25 minutes ago, krunk said:

I still think there's a way to slow that attack down.  Same way it was with RG3 and Kaepernick. In fact their Coordinator was there with Tom Rathman in San Fran when he implemented that system.  I don't think he's been made one dimensional yet.  That's the key to whole thing and why his stats look as they do.   I still don't think he'd be all that effective if you make him one dimensional.   Baltimore always looks scary in one way or another every season.  I'd be willing to bet he's not that great of a passer if you shut down that running game.

He's not that great of a passer...yet. But he's vastly improved from last year. 

I am not even really sure how to make him one-dimensional. The way they built that offense and brought their vision to life...is damn impressive. They have TEs that can block if teams bring extra pressure...but also hurt you in the passing game. They have elite speed WRs to beat teams deep if they try to crowd the LOS. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krunk said:

At this point, I'd take that bet.   He's throwing for over 66% completions and taking care of the ball.   Even if we stop the typical rushing attack, Lamar is still a huge threat to run.  

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

At this point, I'd take that bet.   He's throwing for over 66% completions and taking care of the ball.   Even if we stop the typical rushing attack, Lamar is still a huge threat to run.  

Im sure that 66% is a bunch of little short dumps primarily.

59 minutes ago, Qwiz said:

Take away any team’s top three players and they are bound to struggle more than they would if those guys were playing, of course. He wasn’t just talking about the quarterback position. 

True, but before last Sunday you could have an open debate about whether Brissett is one of our 3 best players

26 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

True, but before last Sunday you could have an open debate about whether Brissett is one of our 3 best players

Maybe you still could. This case may be a little more extreme. Hoyer is a known turnover machine as opposed to the more conservative Brissett, which is a clear factor into how poorly the offense performed. 

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im sure that 66% is a bunch of little short dumps primarily.

Almost 2 more yards per completion than Brissett.   I know that bar is low.  

He's 7th in the NFL on yards per completion.   

He's doing great this season and there isn't really a flaw in his game at this point.   Maybe Reich can have a plan to stop him, but the Pats couldn't do it 2 weeks ago and they got blown out by 17 points.  

I really wish you were correct krunk.   We are usually on the same page, but Lamar seems to have few weaknesses this season.  For the future, I doubt we'll have to deal with him for long because his style usually doesn't equate to longevity.  But as of now, He's 14-3 in his first 17 starts of his career.   That must be close to being a record.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

Almost 2 more yards per completion than Brissett.   I know that bar is low.  

He's 7th in the NFL on yards per completion.   

He's doing great this season and there isn't really a flaw in his game at this point.   Maybe Reich can have a plan to stop him, but the Pats couldn't do it 2 weeks ago and they got blown out by 17 points.  

I really wish you were correct krunk.   We are usually on the same page, but Lamar seems to have few weaknesses this season.  For the future, I doubt we'll have to deal with him for long because his style usually doesn't equate to longevity.  But as of now, He's 14-3 in his first 17 starts of his career.   That must be close to being a record.    

I didn’t believe the hype either until I saw it for myself. The Ravens are definitely the most dangerous team in the AFC, and Lamar is one of the biggest reasons why. They are going to be a tough out for whoever faces them in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Qwiz said:

I didn’t believe the hype either until I saw it for myself. The Ravens are definitely the most dangerous team in the AFC, and Lamar is one of the biggest reasons why. They are going to be a tough out for whoever faces them in the playoffs. 

I'm still skeptical.  I don't really see any good defensive teams on that schedule other than Seattle. you could say New England maybe but there early schedule was full of cupcakes.  I was giving them the New England pass but it's now starting to look like that's what played into their defensive prowess.   I don't mean to diss Houston, but Houston is not known for good pass defense.  And they've been giving up some things against the run every now and then also. I still maintain we could give Baltimore a run for their money.  Especially if we get our missing offensive pieces back.  

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm still skeptical.  I don't really see any good defensive teams on that schedule other than Seattle. you could say New England maybe but there early schedule was full of cupcakes.  I was giving them the New England pass but it's now starting to look like that's what played into their defensive prowess.   I don't mean to diss Houston, but Houston is not known for good pass defense.  And they've been giving up some things against the run every now and then also. 

They went to Seattle and scored 30 and won by 14 points.  

Baltimore has been 1 of my most hated teams for years.   But this year, I haven't seen a flaw.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

They went to Seattle and scored 30 and won by 14 points.  

Baltimore has been 1 of my most hated teams for years.   But this year, I haven't seen a flaw.

They've had other games in which it didn't go that way.  I'm fine if we don't agree on this one, but I still remain skeptical. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

They've had other games in which it didn't go that way.  I'm fine if we don't agree on this one, but I still remain skeptical. 

I'm rooting for you to be correct.  

They play 3 tough games next - Rams, 49rs and Bills.   We should know more in the next couple weeks.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm rooting for you to be correct.  

They play 3 tough games next - Rams, 49rs and Bills.   We should know more in the next couple weeks.  

I'm interested in that 49ers game.  That's a similar defensive model to how we play so I'm interested to see if they can corral him with their speed.  Hopefully it will be like the day Mike Vick met the Tampa Bay Bucs with Warren Sapp. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm still skeptical.  I don't really see any good defensive teams on that schedule other than Seattle. you could say New England maybe but there early schedule was full of cupcakes.  I was giving them the New England pass but it's now starting to look like that's what played into their defensive prowess.   I don't mean to diss Houston, but Houston is not known for good pass defense.  And they've been giving up some things against the run every now and then also. I still maintain we could give Baltimore a run for their money.  Especially if we get our missing offensive pieces back.  

Meh. Our secondary has been depleted all throughout the season unfortunately, but I still didn’t expect the shellacking that we got. We’re pretty damn good against the run and they still were hella effective against us. I don’t ever undersell the Patriots either, and they decimated them as well. 

5 hours ago, Qwiz said:

Watson has to ball out every week for you guys. Brissett has had game where he didn’t put up impressive numbers and the colts still won. 

4 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

If we're 8-4 and they're 6-6, then they are 2.0 games behind us.  Each win we have above them is 0.5 games lead and each loss they have above ours is another 0.5 games lead in our favor.

Naturally, that wouldn't be "locked up" in a mathematical sense.  It would certainly sway the probability in our favor.  They've got games against the Titans, Broncos and Bucs the last 4 games and they could easily win all those.  We should beat the Bucs, Panthers and Jaguars, though the Saints will be tough.  

But as the saying goes, they play the games for a reason.  We could implode, they could implode, or it plays out like we all think it would or some variation in between.  But beating your division rivals is always a recipe for a playoff birth.  Go Colts!

Except if the colts have the tiebreaker it would  be a 2.5 game lead. Houston would be behind us still even if they tied us. That’s where the 0.5 comes in.

13 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Watson has to ball out every week for you guys. Brissett has had game where he didn’t put up impressive numbers and the colts still won. 

He doesn’t “have to ball out.” He put up 280 yards in our win against the Chiefs.  201 yards when we blew out the Jaguars. And when he does get big numbers, he gets them because he’s a damn good quarterback. Not trying to take a shot at Brissett, but he isn’t as athletically gifted as Deshaun. I wouldn’t expect him to “ball out” with 370 pass yards in addition to 60 on the ground. 
  I don’t get your argument, though. Do you fault the Chiefs because they have an MVP? Or any other team that has a player who puts up big numbers and gets wins? 

On 11/18/2019 at 10:09 AM, NannyMcafee said:

Honestly getting tired of the celebrations. To each their own I guess

Nearing the end are we?  

Did you also hate the Icky shuffle, the worm, or guys like Chad Johnson?  Only bring up OchoCinco since it seems likely, and the guy gave killer effort ND never caused off field problems or in the locker room, he just had a ton of fun being a grown man competing in a kids game..... Life's serious enough, try to find time to have joy in the small things.

1 hour ago, Qwiz said:

He doesn’t “have to ball out.” He put up 280 yards in our win against the Chiefs.  201 yards when we blew out the Jaguars. And when he does get big numbers, he gets them because he’s a damn good quarterback. Not trying to take a shot at Brissett, but he isn’t as athletically gifted as Deshaun. I wouldn’t expect him to “ball out” with 370 pass yards in addition to 60 on the ground. 
  I don’t get your argument, though. Do you fault the Chiefs because they have an MVP? Or any other team that has a player who puts up big numbers and gets wins? 

JB is gifted in areas Watson has yet to demonstrate as well, but that's just my opinion.... Watson will put up stats, but doesn't seem to have that "it" factor for me.... Not that JB has it either.... Just opinions.... And yes, I'd trade JB for Watson 11/10 times... The Texans don't go S does Watson?  I'm being sincere, I probably overlooked it, I just don't recall them winning often when they have to overcome poor performance by him, or really more than half of the games he's average....

36 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Nearing the end are we?  

Did you also hate the Icky shuffle, the worm, or guys like Chad Johnson?  Only bring up OchoCinco since it seems likely, and the guy gave killer effort ND never caused off field problems or in the locker room, he just had a ton of fun being a grown man competing in a kids game..... Life's serious enough, try to find time to have joy in the small things.

I've never liked it. But it's not like it's going to ruin the game for me. Like I say to each their own. 

15 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I've never liked it either. My most hated is the "point to my own name with my thumb". 

I mean I get the celebrations as individuals like when you score or turn the ball over. But to have half the dang team celebrate in the endzone with you is too far imo. 

Playoffs? Yes. Regular season? No. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Qwiz said:

This. Oakland has climbed out of their hole but I still think they will miss out on the wild card. 

With as many guys that look like they wont play for the colts Thursday they couldn't run the ball with Mack last time they played this time no Mack if they cant run the ball they are in big trouble this game.

21 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

With as many guys that look like they wont play for the colts Thursday they couldn't run the ball with Mack last time they played this time no Mack if they cant run the ball they are in big trouble this game.

It doesn’t look like to many are going to miss the game. Even if Ebron misses we will be ok. The big one to watch is if Desir plays or not because I don’t think Rock is playing. If we swap Desir with rock we should be fine. If Desir can’t go Wilson is just going to have to step up. Over then that we don’t look as bad as the injury report looked yesterday. It’s much better today.

Houston has given up 6.61 yards a rush since Watt went out. Plus they are most likely down two safeties. One in Reid who is a pretty good player. Then add Johnson out. They will be relying on Joseph and the two new corners they just got.  I think we are actually in better shape then they are. We have depth which is good.

If we win this game we are two games up with the Texans playing NE the week after. We also need to beat the titans because they are 5-5 and it’s possible they could actually go ahead of us and Houston.  They play the jags Sunday I believe. We need the jags to win. We are in such great shape with a win Thursday. If we go in and impose our will like we did against the jags we will win. Reich said today he thinks defense is playing as good as anyone in the league. 

3 hours ago, Qwiz said:

It’s not just Watson specifically. You guys are incredibly rich with superstar players like Hopkins and Watt and of course Watson making game changing plays. 

My argument is I think the colts are a deeper and better coached team than the Texans. Houston has better top end players but they can’t handle injuries the way the colts have (hence my comment of they go as far as Watson takes them). So not having watt is gonna be huge. Obviously the colts have struggled without TY but they’ve still found a way to get contributions all across the roster to fill in for all the other injuries that have blitzed this team so far this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

It’s not just Watson specifically. You guys are incredibly rich with superstar players like Hopkins and Watt and of course Watson making game changing plays. 

My argument is I think the colts are a deeper and better coached team than the Texans. Houston has better top end players but they can’t handle injuries the way the colts have (hence my comment of they go as far as Watson takes them). So not having watt is gonna be huge. Obviously the colts have struggled without TY but they’ve still found a way to get contributions all across the roster to fill in for all the other injuries that have blitzed this team so far this year.

I see what you’re saying now. You’re right. Reich is a great coach and the Colts managed to slay the Chiefs first with a bevy of backups playing. Hopefully the word “injury” doesn’t come up anytime on Thursday lol. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Qwiz said:

I see what you’re saying now. You’re right. Reich is a great coach and the Colts managed to slay the Chiefs first with a bevy of backups playing. Hopefully the word “injury” doesn’t come up anytime on Thursday lol. 

Long time no see. Hope you're right about the injuries. Need those dang players for some reason. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Qwiz said:

Respects. I like the Texans team a lot. Obviously as our rivals I love talking trash and beating y'all but Houston has a lot of talented players that are fun to watch and are a classy organization. Certainly y'all are less annoying to me than Jacksonville and Tennessee haha.

Good luck to your team Thursday night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love going back to preseason and watching video on how things were thought they might go. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-around-the-nfl/0ap3000001026049/Around-The-NFL-Who-will-win-the-AFC-South-in-2019

There were few things that went as predicted. Just goes to show how much luck (no pun intended) and health can change things. 

Someone can correct me if I am wrong here. If we win the next two games and Houston loses to NE does that make us only have to win one more game to wrap up the division.  We could wrap up the division with a win against the Bucs because we would have a three game lead over the Texans if we win the next two and they lose two NE. Everything is right there for us. We can’t get into a wildcard situation with the raiders or buffalo. It would make it nice already having the division locked up going against the saints. Lots of pressure off.  I don’t think the ravens are going to lose more then one more so not sure we will be able to get a two seed.  This game is so important because the Texans will own all the tiebreakers if we split with them,

Bills still have to go to the cowboys and NE and play the ravens so we will see if they stay in the wild card race.