Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have chance to lock up the division in the next two weeks

NorthernBlue

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Someone can correct me if I am wrong here. If we win the next two games and Houston loses to NE does that make us only have to win one more game to wrap up the division.  We could wrap up the division with a win against the Bucs because we would have a three game lead over the Texans if we win the next two and they lose two NE. Everything is right there for us. We can’t get into a wildcard situation with the raiders or buffalo. It would make it nice already having the division locked up going against the saints. Lots of pressure off.  I don’t think the ravens are going to lose more then one more so not sure we will be able to get a two seed.  This game is so important because the Texans will own all the tiebreakers if we split with them,

Bills still have to go to the cowboys and NE and play the ravens so we will see if they stay in the wild card race.

If we are 8-4 and Hou is 6-6 and we beat Tampa to go 9-4, then Hou still needs to lose one more game for us to clinch because Hou could win its last 4 to go 10-6 and we could lose the last 3 to go 9-7.   If we win at Hou and Tenn takes care of Jax, then the AFC South title essentially becomes a two team race between the Colts & Titans.  Tenn & Hou haven't even played each other yet so whoever can sweep that series will still have an outside shot of getting the 2nd wild card spot.  

15 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Except if the colts have the tiebreaker it would  be a 2.5 game lead. Houston would be behind us still even if they tied us. That’s where the 0.5 comes in.

I mean, ok. Thats not how it the math works, but if thats how it helpsyou make sense of it, Im not gonna make it a big deal.  But its confusing because thats not how it works. 

Its a TIE-breaker. It wouldnt break a tie if it gifted a half game. It doesnt give us a 0.5 game on anyone else in the division.  Say Jax had the same record as us and HOU and we had a the tie breaker on Hou, but Jax has a tiebreaker on us both. That mean we have a 0.5 win advantage over Hou and Jax has a 1.0 full game advantage even though all our records read "9-7"? Of course not.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I mean, ok. Thats not how it the math works, but if thats how it helpsyou make sense of it, Im not gonna make it a big deal.  But its confusing because thats not how it works. 

Its a TIE-breaker. It wouldnt break a tie if it gifted a half game. It doesnt give us a 0.5 game on anyone else in the division.  Say Jax had the same record as us and HOU and we had a the tie breaker on Hou, but Jax has a tiebreaker on us both. That mean we have a 0.5 win advantage over Hou and Jax has a 1.0 full game advantage even though all our records read "9-7"? Of course not.

i think people are assuming the jags and titans are out of it and only the texans matter

its too soon for that though, they are just 1 and 2 games back, and no team here is dominate 

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

lets say we win our next two and Houston loses their next two. We’d be 8-4 and they’d be 6-6. So they’re 2.0 games begin right?

Except games behind (if I’m correct) refers to how many wins (or opponent losses, since you said a loss for us lowers Houston’s GB by 0.5) a team needs to gain in order to tie them. It doesn’t explicitly take into account the other tie breakers. 

So again, let’s say at 8-4 and 6-6 respectively; the colts lose two in a row and Houston wins 2 in a row. That would tie us both at 8-6 but the colts and Texans wouldn’t be tied due to our tie breaker. So you could say the colts are 0.5 games ahead of Houston (since one more Houston win or one more colts loss would be needed to give the Texans the lead). 

tl;dr none of this matters and it’s all just semantics since the colts are gonna win the division anyways haha 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

lets say we win our next two and Houston loses their next two. We’d be 8-4 and they’d be 6-6. So they’re 2.0 games begin right?

Except games behind (if I’m correct) refers to how many wins (or opponent losses, since you said a loss for us lowers Houston’s GB by 0.5) a team needs to gain in order to tie them. It doesn’t explicitly take into account the other tie breakers. 

So again, let’s say at 8-4 and 6-6 respectively; the colts lose two in a row and Houston wins 2 in a row. That would tie us both at 8-6 but the colts and Texans wouldn’t be tied due to our tie breaker. So you could say the colts are 0.5 games ahead of Houston (since one more Houston win or one more colts loss would be needed to give the Texans the lead). 

tl;dr none of this matters and it’s all just semantics since the colts are gonna win the division anyways haha 

Hell yeah they gonna win! lol

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i think people are assuming the jags and titans are out of it and only the texans matter

its too soon for that though, they are just 1 and 2 games back, and no team here is dominate 

Yeah, I was just drawing an illustration.  Jags couldn't win the tie breaker over HOU since I think they lost both games to them.  But if we beat them both, we'll be in a good spot to win the AFC S