Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some perspective on week 1 Vs the Chargers

Yoshinator

In the cold light of day on Monday morning, there are certainly positives to take.  The main one being that, if we have just eliminated 2 or 3 small individual errors yesterday we would have beaten a very good Chargers team on the road.

Take it as a learning opportunity and move onto next week with confidence in our QB and belief the :goat: will be back to his usual self after an off day.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Although we lost this game, things point in a very positive direction for the Colts going forward. I was slightly pessimistic going into the season with Brissett, but I saw exactly what I wanted from him. He is the perfect game manager type QB that doesn't make mistakes, that can be used with Mack to create a potent, balanced offense every week. The O-Line held their own for the most part, and I see that going forward. The defense allowed some chunk plays, but only allowed 24 points during regulation, which is standard. The huge positive was we were getting pressure, Turay broke out, and the rookies haven't even made their mark yet, so there will be more to come.

Just remember, even without Luck, we aren't a dumpster fire like some teams in the NFL, we have the best GM in the NFL, a solid coach, and a good owner. We have a lot of reasons to still be positive, and it'll be a fun season. This loss was all on Adam V. The team is going to be fine!

Have a great day guys!

Fantastic post Jared. My own disagreement with you is the line I bolded. Did Adam's misses hurt us on the scoreboard or make the hole to dig out of deeper than we would have preferred? Yes. However, we can't lay this loss entirely at V's feet. He's not the terminator or an unstoppable cyborg for crying out loud. He's been so clutch for so long that our expectations are out of whack.  It's week 1; these misses don't give me pause at all. Hades, most teams misfire the first week since most of the veterans have not played a full game yet. Adam has earned a lot of cache in this league for the Pats & INDY. He'll be fine. Everybody's rusty even the refs. 

Yep, our defense was making Rivers slide up in the pocket & Hooker did take away 6 points from the powder blue LA Bolts late in the game to keep us alive, Mack looked solid on the ground, & TY has a nose for the end zone just like always, even Ebron was on fire until the refs screwed us over with a lame call. 

Jacoby played well better than I anticipated he would. Like you said so eloquently, he makes good decisions with the ball. Uh huh. INDY is definitely no dumpster fire indeed. 

I will give you a like anyway since I agree with 95% of what you wrote. I'm not really that upset with you Jared. I just can't condemn Adam. The dude is money. He just had a hiccup today that's all. He will work his tail off this week to redeem himself & get his mojo back buddy. :hat:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Fantastic post Jared. My own disagreement with you is the line I bolded. Did Adam's misses hurt us on the scoreboard or make the hole to dig out of deeper than we would have preferred? Yes. However, we can't lay this loss entirely at V's feet. He's not the terminator or an unstoppable cyborg for crying out loud. He's been so clutch for so long that our expectations are out of whack.  It's week 1; these misses don't give me pause at all. Hades, most teams misfire the first week since most of the veterans have played a full game yet. Adam has earned a lot of cache in this league for the Pats & INDY. He'll be fine. Everybody's rusty even the refs. 

Yep, our defense was making Rivers slide up in the pocket & Hooker did take away 6 points from the powder blue LA Bolts late in the game to keep us alive, Mack looked solid on the ground, & TY has a nose for the end zone just like always, even Ebron was on fire until the refs screwed us over with a lame call. 

Jacoby played well better than I anticipated he would. Like you said so eloquently, he makes good decisions with the ball. Uh huh. INDY is definitely no dumpster fire indeed. 

I will give you a like anyway since I agree with 95% of what you wrote. I'm not really that upset with you Jared. I just can't condemn Adam. The dude is money. He just had a hiccup today that's all. He will work his tail off this week to redeem himself & get his mojo back buddy. :hat:

I appreciate it. I have to blame Adam for this week because it was 3 misses, and if he makes one, we win the game. Sometimes you screw up, and it's on him, not saying to release him lol. The team exceeded most of our expectations with Brissett under center though, and that's all that matters going forward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will readily admit this publicly: 

When I get attached to athletes I like [such as Adam V. or Peyton Manning] I have a difficult time letting go or accepting that they are aging & not what they once were. 

I do realize that some fans or posters want to be ahead of the curve & not a slave to a player's past or former invincibility status that they may no longer possess moving forward. 

I will own that flaw or weakness Jared. Maybe, that's all your doing...Planning for Adam's replacement so our special team's production doesn't collapse & we have no 2nd option available. Being ahead of the curve is harder than most people want to consider. I get it. 

• Like 6

I kind of disagree with you. Not about any of your observations really, they are on point... I disagree about your takeaway about Brissett and what it means for the team if he is indeed a game manager. This in fact is my biggest worry really. That he turns into a stable game manager or unstable inconsistent Qb and nothing more. This is the thing I fear most - that we get sucked into paying a game manager big money long-term because of flashes here and there, but no consistent playmaking. I want him to be either bad or great. I don't want him to be in the middle ... just solid... game manager. It's incredibly hard to win at the highest level in the NFL with a game manager. He might get you in the playoffs, but then you meet QBs like Rivers, Mahomes, Mayfield, Brady, hell even Watson if the Texans somehow fix the OLine. I don't want a Mariota, I don't want an Alex Smith, I don't want a Dak Prescott. Those are players that will give you enough hope just to take it away in the post-season. 

I want Brissett to be either great so we know he can take us to the SB, or I want him to be bad, so we can more easily move on. 

This was pretty much a perfect game for us except for the Vinny kicks... we got multiple takeaways and we didn't give up any... we ran for 200 yards on the ground... the Qb had high completion %, we sacked Rivers more than they sacked Jacoby... and we still lost. Everything went our way and we still lost. We need consistent chunk plays, we need playmaking from the QB in addition to those things to be consistently successful in the league. Especially against high level QBs on the other side(what we will be facing in the playoffs). 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Sometimes you screw up, and it's on him, not saying to release him lol.

I wrote my response before I read this from you Jared. Just to be clear. 

I do realize though that Adam can't play forever & we need to have another place kicker in the pipeline learning from Adam now. It's like a record executive. You gotta plan early for your next multi-platinum artist so you don't end up irrelevant as a label & not fiscally sound & vibrant anymore. 

I'm a big music buff so a lot of my examples about thriving & adapting come directly from that genre or realm etc. etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I kind of disagree with you. Not about any of your observations really, they are on point... I disagree about your takeaway about Brissett and what it means for the team if he is indeed a game manager. This in fact is my biggest worry really. That he turns into a stable game manager and nothing more. This is the thing I fear most - that we get sucked into paying a game manager big money long-term because of flashes here and there, but no consistent playmaking. I want him to be either bad or great. I don't want him to be in the middle ... just solid... game manager. It's incredibly hard to win at the highest level in the NFL with a game manager. He might get you in the playoffs, but then you meet QBs like Rivers, Mahomes, Mayfield, Brady, hell even Watson if the Texans somehow fix the OLine. I don't want a Mariota, I don't want an Alex Smith, I don't want a Dak Prescott. Those are players that will give you enough hope just to take it away in the post-season. 

I want Brissett to be either great so we know he can take us to the SB, or I want him to be bad, so we can more easily move on. 

I understand completely, and I have said the exact same thing. However, I'm not worried about it right now as this was one game to get him acclimated to the starting position. He'll get more involved, pass more, and this start gives me the feeling he'll be a top 10 QB. This is coming from someone who was pessimistic on him as well.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, stitches said:

I kind of disagree with you. Not about any of your observations really, they are on point... I disagree about your takeaway about Brissett and what it means for the team if he is indeed a game manager. This in fact is my biggest worry really. That he turns into a stable game manager or unstable inconsistent Qb and nothing more. This is the thing I fear most - that we get sucked into paying a game manager big money long-term because of flashes here and there, but no consistent playmaking. I want him to be either bad or great. I don't want him to be in the middle ... just solid... game manager. It's incredibly hard to win at the highest level in the NFL with a game manager. He might get you in the playoffs, but then you meet QBs like Rivers, Mahomes, Mayfield, Brady, hell even Watson if the Texans somehow fix the OLine. I don't want a Mariota, I don't want an Alex Smith, I don't want a Dak Prescott. Those are players that will give you enough hope just to take it away in the post-season. 

We were fortune enough to land 2 elite QBs in Manning & Luck. The odds of INDY hitting the jackpot a 3rd time is darn near impossible stitches. More than likely, even if we cut Jacoby loose after his contract expires, INDY probably drafts a game manager next go round. 

Game manager isn't necessary a dirty word. Trent Dilfer, Phil Sims, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson all won rings as game managers. All that label means is you don't turn the ball over, throw out of bounds to avoid sacks/bad field position, & let your D carry you when things get tight. 

Look at Carson Wentz He's elite, but injury prone & hurt a lot. Criticize Dak if you want as a lowly game manager, but the guy is always available every Sunday man. Besides, throwing long passes doesn't make a QB elite AKA Joe Flacco or Jeff George. Even Micheal Vick relied mostly on his feet & elusiveness before Andy Reid in Philly made him a true pocket passer in this league near the end of his NFL career. 

All I'm saying is this: Striking rich 3 times with an elite QB for INDY is like a billion to 1. Game manager is the best we can hope for now. Football Gods won't bless INDY thrice with a larger than life field general by 2020 & beyond IMO. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Fantastic post Jared. My own disagreement with you is the line I bolded. Did Adam's misses hurt us on the scoreboard or make the hole to dig out of deeper than we would have preferred? Yes. However, we can't lay this loss entirely at V's feet. He's not the terminator or an unstoppable cyborg for crying out loud. He's been so clutch for so long that our expectations are out of whack.  It's week 1; these misses don't give me pause at all. Hades, most teams misfire the first week since most of the veterans have not played a full game yet. Adam has earned a lot of cache in this league for the Pats & INDY. He'll be fine. Everybody's rusty even the refs. 

I don't think expecting your kicker to hit any of those 3 kicks is "out of whack".   

I don't think we should cut him.   I think we should keep an eye on him and not keep him for longer than we should just because he is Adam.  His FG% has gone down each of the past 5 years but it has still been decent (not this season of course).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

We were fortune enough to land 2 elite QBs in Manning & Luck. The odds of INDY hitting the jackpot a 3rd time is darn near impossible stitches. More than likely, even if we cut Jacoby loose after his contract expires, INDY probably drafts a game manager next go round. 

Game manager isn't necessary a dirty word. Trent Dilfer, Phil Sims, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson all won rings as game managers. All that label means is you don't turn the ball over, throw out of bounds to avoid sacks/bad field position, & let your D carry you when things get tight. 

Look at Carson Wentz He's elite, but injury prone & hurt a lot. Criticize Dak if you want as a lowly game manager, but the guy is always available every Sunday man. Besides, throwing long passes doesn't make a QB elite AKA Joe Flacco or Jeff George. Even Micheal Vick relied mostly on his feet & elusiveness before Andy Reid in Philly made him a true pocket passer in this league near the end of his NFL career. 

All I'm saying is this: Striking rich 3 times with an elite QB for INDY is like a billion to 1. Game manager is the best we can hope for now. Football Gods won't bless INDY thrice with a larger than life field general by 2020 & beyond IMO. 

You don't need the next QB to be Luck or Manning level good. There are QBs every year in the draft that give you the chance to win and teams trade up for them every year... Watson, Mahomes, Wentz, Darnold, etc... are all QBs who IMO will be able to win in this league and all of them were drafted after their team traded up to get them. We don't need a perfect/generational QB... we do need a QB with high end physical/skill talent that we can develop into a player that can run a highly efficient offense and threaten all levels of the field. If Brissett does what he did in this game(minus the %, because no QB throws in the high 70s), he won't be able to elevate this team. We need a player who can run high powered multiple offense(what Reich wants to run), a player who will be aggressive with his throws and consistently make big-time NFL-type throws. Maybe he won't be a great athlete... or maybe he won't have Mahomes' armstrength(who does?). maybe he won't be Manning type of wizard pre-snap, maybe he won't have Luck's movement in the pocket, etc... we don't need him to have EVERYTHING. But we do need him to be more than a game manager. He needs to make plays, either from the pocket or outside the pocket, or on the run... or some combination of those. We won't survive with a player who is shy to throw the ball or his coach doesn't trust him to throw the ball downfield. 

At least that's my thoughts on our QB situation. BTW I'm not saying Brissett cannot be the player we are looking for, but he needs to show it by the end of the year, because this draft class seems like it has some good talent at QB and Brissett has not shown it yet... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Although we lost this game, things point in a very positive direction for the Colts going forward. I was slightly pessimistic going into the season with Brissett, but I saw exactly what I wanted from him. He is the perfect game manager type QB that doesn't make mistakes, that can be used with Mack to create a potent, balanced offense every week. The O-Line held their own for the most part, and I see that going forward. The defense allowed some chunk plays, but only allowed 24 points during regulation, which is standard. The huge positive was we were getting pressure, Turay broke out, and the rookies haven't even made their mark yet, so there will be more to come.

Just remember, even without Luck, we aren't a dumpster fire like some teams in the NFL, we have the best GM in the NFL, a solid coach, and a good owner. We have a lot of reasons to still be positive, and it'll be a fun season. This loss was all on Adam V. The team is going to be fine!

Have a great day guys!

I think he's a little bit more than a game manager though.  Count how many times he reached the end zone.  If you include the Ebron no catch and the Jack Doyle drop thats about 28 points.  He did that all while we were emphasizing the running game.  Brissett is going to put up some good numbers through the air this year.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I have to agree with all of this. As much as we needed the points from Vinatieri, those weren't the only ones that could have changed the game. No one seems to remember the unnecessary roughness on Autry on their first touchdown drive. The defense held them to a field goal and we gifted them a second chance for a touchdown. That is four points that would have gave us the win even with Adam's misses.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kschrock88 said:

I have to agree with all of this. As much as we needed the points from Vinatieri, those weren't the only ones that could have changed the game. No one seems to remember the unnecessary roughness on Autry on their first touchdown drive. The defense held them to a field goal and we gifted them a second chance for a touchdown. That is four points that would have gave us the win even with Adam's misses.

You take out that call on Autry and we win the game to be honest.

• Like 2

Just now, krunk said:

You take out that call on Autry and we win the game to be honest.

That can be said about allot of plays.   

I think there is too much defense of Adam Venatieri because he is AV.   The guy had a very crappy day.    I think it is OK for fans to call him out about it.   I don't think he should be cut or anything like that though.  

Other than AV, I was pretty happy with what I saw.  The team looked good for the most part.  Some lapses on defense, but you are going to have that in the first game of the season.  I was a bit surprised we didn't see another RB besides Mack and Hines.   

• Like 2

I hope and think that Ballard is giving us a top tier defense that will allow an efficient QB to thrive. I think JB is more than a game manager. Peyton’s last year with Broncos for example. If Elway can build a defense like that surely Ballard can too. It will evolve us into a great defense, great running team who can throw when it’s there. We have to be able to be a team like that to win in the playoffs. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

"Game manager?"  :nono:

I think "game manager" is an accurate description after 1 game.   He was very efficient.  Didn't turn the ball over.  Mostly took what the defense gave him.   

Great game for him to start the season.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stitches said:

This was pretty much a perfect game for us except for the Vinny kicks... we got multiple takeaways and we didn't give up any... we ran for 200 yards on the ground... the Qb had high completion %, we sacked Rivers more than they sacked Jacoby... and we still lost. Everything went our way and we still lost. We need consistent chunk plays, we need playmaking from the QB in addition to those things to be consistently successful in the league. Especially against high level QBs on the other side(what we will be facing in the playoffs). 

Agreed. Not to mention that playcalling for a game manager can hold the offense back...and requires a very high-percentage of conversions to work. To me...the game is all about big/chunk plays. And if Mack is gashing to the tune of nearly 200 yards...you have to have a QB that can break the other's team back with big plays...OR if your run game isn't going...you have to have a QB that can step up and make plays.

It's the first game...so we will see how it progresses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

That can be said about allot of plays.   

I think there is too much defense of Adam Venatieri because he is AV.   The guy had a very crappy day.    I think it is OK for fans to call him out about it.   I don't think he should be cut or anything like that though.  

Other than AV, I was pretty happy with what I saw.  The team looked good for the most part.  Some lapses on defense, but you are going to have that in the first game of the season.  I was a bit surprised we didn't see another RB besides Mack and Hines.   

True...Chargers fans would feel the same about an All-Pro returner muffing a fair catch (had that Ebron TD counted).

Or what about Rivers throwing a duck into double coverage from the 7 yard line on 2nd down. Since we are dealing in hypotheticals any time we talk about changing plays from a game...IF they convert a TD there...that game is probably over at that point (15 point lead)...and the conversation most of are having right now is about how bad the defense was.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

True...Chargers fans would feel the same about an All-Pro returner muffing a fair catch (had that Ebron TD counted).

Or what about Rivers throwing a duck into double coverage from the 7 yard line on 2nd down. Since we are dealing in hypotheticals any time we talk about changing plays from a game...IF they convert a TD there...that game is probably over at that point (15 point lead)...and the conversation most of are having right now is about how bad the defense was.

I agree.  Lots of things can be blamed for a loss.   All of them can be part of it.  Av had a crappy game.  It's OK to talk about it.  What is silly is if people call for the Colts to cut him.  What isn't silly is wanting Ballard to put out some feelers.   Let's face it, AV is on his last leg.  We need to fill his spot after this season (I believe).   When your kicker misses a PAT and a 26 yard attempt, there should be some negative feedback.  The 46 yard attempt was more understandable but bundled with the others it makes it worse.   Most likely AV will hit his next 3 or 4 and have another good season.  

Imagine if Rogers fumbled a couple returns.   We would all be calling for his head without anyone defending him.   I don't think AV is beyond criticism.     

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.  Lots of things can be blamed for a loss.   All of them can be part of it.  Av had a crappy game.  It's OK to talk about it.  What is silly is if people call for the Colts to cut him.  What isn't silly is wanting Ballard to put out some feelers.   Let's face it, AV is on his last leg.  We need to fill his spot after this season (I believe).   When your kicker misses a PAT and a 26 yard attempt, there should be some negative feedback.  The 46 yard attempt was more understandable but bundled with the others it makes it worse.   Most likely AV will hit his next 3 or 4 and have another good season.  

Imagine if Rogers fumbled a couple returns.   We would all be calling for his head without anyone defending him.   I don't think AV is beyond criticism.     

It would take AV doing this a couple more times before they would consider replacing him in-season. But depending on where the Colts are at in 5-6 weeks, it might just end up being a farewell tour. To be honest, I wish they would have politely replaced him last offseason and gotten a young guy in here that can boom kicks.

• Like 1

Generally, with the way we played, I'm certainly not upset about the loss to the Chargers. There are some bright spots. I am wondering why we played a very basic Cover 2 scheme so much. I was hoping to see something more like the Cover 3 (Seattle) scheme that I feel we have the personnel for. Cover 1 wasn't working very well (yet?).

We may have been overly cautious during preseason in avoiding injuries to work out the execution issues. Who knows? A few tweaks and I think we will be very competitive.

8 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

If you are too old, I would think leg strength would be the deciding factor and not accuracy. He missed short ones that a young kicker might miss. If he couldn’t make a 46 yard field goal because of distance then I would agree it’s time to go

I'm old. It's probably not the leg strength that's the problem. It's the eyes and the muscle memory. Muscle memory gets a little forgetful, and you have to keep teaching it what to do.

13 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I'm old. It's probably not the leg strength that's the problem. It's the eyes and the muscle memory. Muscle memory gets a little forgetful, and you have to keep teaching it what to do.

History shows that a kicker can still be good late in life. 

I don’t think the loss was totally on AV. He made it harder, but Denico Autry and a few others also cost us the game in theory. But hey, that’s what you get in week 1. We almost beat a playoff team with our rusty defense and a lousy day by our kicker, just think how unstoppable we’ll be next week when the defense wakes up and Adam gets back in the groove. We’re gonna tear up the Titans!

Forcing OT on the road against a very good Chargers team is definitely not a bad way to start the year off, considering we could have won had we eliminated at least one of the bad things that went against us (2 penalties that led to TDs and Adam's missed kicks).  A lot of encouraging things yesterday, O line looked great and Marlon had a phenomenal game.  TY is still TY.  Brissett made throws when in mattered, protected the ball, and was efficient.  

Big negative from this game outside Adam was the run defense.  Need to do better up front against the run.  We got good pash rush from Rivers, but we were missing Lewis and Sheard badly on rush D.  

We got Tennesse, Oakland, and Atlanta on deck.  All are winnable games.  Clean up mistakes and build on the positives and take it one game at a time.  Our biggest test will be Sunday Night vs KC.  

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I think he's a little bit more than a game manager though.  Count how many times he reached the end zone.  If you include the Ebron no catch and the Jack Doyle drop thats about 28 points.  He did that all while we were emphasizing the running game.  Brissett is going to put up some good numbers through the air this year.

completely agree.  Brissett vastly exceeded expectations last night.  A "game manager" doesn't go on the road against a playoff caliber team and put the team in position to score points in nearly every drive he leads.

That wasn't a game manager performance.  It was  an early 2000s Tom Brady performance.  Right down to the literal last minute 4th quarter comeback.

This kid is special, I tell you.  Combine his talent with what so far in his career has been excellent decision making and the world class chutzpah of a true NFL field general, I think the lucky horseshoe just landed another great QB.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

completely agree.  Brissett vastly exceeded expectations last night.  A "game manager" doesn't go on the road against a playoff caliber team and put the team in position to score points in nearly every drive he leads.

That wasn't a game manager performance.  It was  an early 2000s Tom Brady performance.  Right down to the literal last minute 4th quarter comeback.

This kid is special, I tell you.  Combine his talent with what so far in his career has been excellent decision making and the world class chutzpah of a true NFL field general, I think the lucky horseshoe just landed another great QB.

I think if he masters his pocket movement like Rivers and Brady that's going to take him far.  He's a little bit more mobile than Rivers and Brady, but not a whole lot more so the pocket movement will help him extend plays.  He can hurt you with his legs in timely spots but I think his game will be between his ears, his discipline, and being a great mover in the pocket extending plays that way and hitting guys up with that big arm of his..  I'm interested to see how he handles this blitz he's going to see next week. If he keeps improving and trending in the right way as we move along we'll have a pretty nice general back there at some point. 

My biggest takeaways were that:

-The Colts need a dominant presence on the D-line (particularly on the inside)

-The secondary is still prone to these break downs in coverage where big areas are left entirely uncovered.

-Marlin Mack is fantastic but you have to get him a partner. He was the only RB that did anything.

• Like 1