Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some perspective on week 1 Vs the Chargers

Yoshinator

2 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

...........we were missing Lewis and Sheard badly on rush D.  

Yes, we were.

I would like to say there was a whole lot of preseason unnecessary beard pulling and hand wringing about:

Brissett

O-line

Reich

Pass rush

However, there was some legitimate concern over Adam V's time. No, I dont think he's done yet, but he has moved in the last two years from money, to dangerous, and perhaps now, just solid for this year.

I am surprised at the current hand wringing over the play calling. Considering how important it was to get Jacoby started off solid as the franchise QB moving forward, that is the game plan I wanted to see, taking into account what was given. 

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

completely agree.  Brissett vastly exceeded expectations last night.  A "game manager" doesn't go on the road against a playoff caliber team and put the team in position to score points in nearly every drive he leads.

That wasn't a game manager performance.  It was  an early 2000s Tom Brady performance.  Right down to the literal last minute 4th quarter comeback.

This kid is special, I tell you.  Combine his talent with what so far in his career has been excellent decision making and the world class chutzpah of a true NFL field general, I think the lucky horseshoe just landed another great QB.

I think people view "game manager" in a negative way which I don't think it is.   He was efficient (21/27 with 0 INT's).  Only 190 yards passing which is fine when you are running the ball effectively.  I think he absolutely managed the game very well.   I don't think we'll see him expected to win the game with his arm very often.   He won't be throwing for 350 yards much.   He'll do what he needs to do to keep the offense humming along.   Pretty much managing the game.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think people view "game manager" in a negative way which I don't think it is.   He was efficient (21/27 with 0 INT's).  Only 190 yards passing which is fine when you are running the ball effectively.  I think he absolutely managed the game very well.   I don't think we'll see him expected to win the game with his arm very often.   He won't be throwing for 350 yards much.   He'll do what he needs to do to keep the offense humming along.   Pretty much managing the game.   

Great post and I agree 100%  

• Like 1

The fact that even though we got off to a less than stellar start, It just reflex's the rust, we were shaking off. On the road against a playoff team, that we have always, had trouble with, even with Peyton & Luck.  The main fact, that we did not fold but, came back and got it into overtime showed a lot of Moxy.  I think it showed that this team is shaking off the shock of losing Luck and they are moving on. Give it some time, there is a lot more football to be played.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

Oh, so pretty much like Tom Brady then?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

The fact that even though we got off to a less than stellar start, It just reflex's the rust, we were shaking off. On the road against a playoff team, that we have always, had trouble with, even with Peyton & Luck.  The main fact, that we did not fold but, came back and got it into overtime showed a lot of Moxy.  I think it showed that this team is shaking off the shock of losing Luck and they are moving on. Give it some time, there is a lot more football to be played.  

Well said.   

Starting 0-1 does stink though.  Gotta win 2 in a row to get above .500.   I think some are taking the Titans game as a win, but they are an improved team and it'll be tough to win down there.   I think it'll be another tough fought game.   Hope we come out on top.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Myles said:

I think "game manager" is an accurate description after 1 game.   He was very efficient.  Didn't turn the ball over.  Mostly took what the defense gave him.   

Great game for him to start the season.  

Not good enough yet. I Think he can give us 300 yard performances  with 3 tds or more a game.

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

Well said.   

Starting 0-1 does stink though.  Gotta win 2 in a row to get above .500.   I think some are taking the Titans game as a win, but they are an improved team and it'll be tough to win down there.   I think it'll be another tough fought game.   Hope we come out on top.   

Yea every game except maybe the dolphins  game should be tough

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Not good enough yet. I Think he can give us 300 yard performances  with 3 tds or more a game.

I hope so, but don't think it will happen.   He's never been a high yardage kind of QB.   I think he is capable of some breakout games though.   

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I have seen a lot of people who went to the game and mention the chargers had lots of shade on the sideline and the colts had none. Might be why we looked winded.

They mentioned that on the broadcast.   Home field advantage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

I disagree.  Mistakes are what separate winners and losers in the playoffs.  We had too many mistakes, imho, to be considered playoff football yesterday.

We had a lot of mistakes in the first 5 games last year and still made the playoffs,  and beat the division winner in the playoffs 

1 minute ago, life long said:

Is this an actual offense for the forum... just curious...?

No,   but it's annoying

14 hours ago, stitches said:

I kind of disagree with you. Not about any of your observations really, they are on point... I disagree about your takeaway about Brissett and what it means for the team if he is indeed a game manager. This in fact is my biggest worry really. That he turns into a stable game manager or unstable inconsistent Qb and nothing more. This is the thing I fear most - that we get sucked into paying a game manager big money long-term because of flashes here and there, but no consistent playmaking. I want him to be either bad or great. I don't want him to be in the middle ... just solid... game manager. It's incredibly hard to win at the highest level in the NFL with a game manager. He might get you in the playoffs, but then you meet QBs like Rivers, Mahomes, Mayfield, Brady, hell even Watson if the Texans somehow fix the OLine. I don't want a Mariota, I don't want an Alex Smith, I don't want a Dak Prescott. Those are players that will give you enough hope just to take it away in the post-season. 

I want Brissett to be either great so we know he can take us to the SB, or I want him to be bad, so we can more easily move on. 

This was pretty much a perfect game for us except for the Vinny kicks... we got multiple takeaways and we didn't give up any... we ran for 200 yards on the ground... the Qb had high completion %, we sacked Rivers more than they sacked Jacoby... and we still lost. Everything went our way and we still lost. We need consistent chunk plays, we need playmaking from the QB in addition to those things to be consistently successful in the league. Especially against high level QBs on the other side(what we will be facing in the playoffs). 

QB’s like Mayfield with the 3 interceptions in the 4th quarter yesterday?  So our HoF kicker misses 3 kicks & leaves 7 points on the field, our defense has 2 costly penalties both extending Chargers drives & giving them 11 extra points, yet you want to imply it was our “game manager” QB’s fault when all he did was complete 77% off his throws & should have had 3 TD’s if his pro bowl tight end doesn’t drop one (that’s another 4 point swing).  

Of course the gameplan was conservative, we were going against 2 dynamic edge rushers on the road.  Those 2 guys can & will wreck a gameplan.  So Frank called a game that minimized their impact & emphasized our O line.  Circumstances far removed from our QB cost us this game. Yet you take in all of that info & the only thing you can come up with is that it was the QB’s fault because he’s not elite according to you.  

The GOAT (not Mr sure fire elite Peyton Manning) Tom Brady, was a game manager & got 3 Super Bowls being one.  Then he grew into an elite QB & the greatest.  If it was up to you they would have went back to the elite Drew Bledsoe & dumped Brady.  If you build a time machine, go back to then, get the Pats GM job & tell them to stick with Drew over Tom.  Maybe our elite QB Peyton could have won those two playoff games in fox borough instead of losing to the game manager...

• Like 2

I don’t see much analysis about the fact that we played a decent game against the chargers who played without their best running back and what some called their best defensive player. If we are going to judge our selves based on the measuring tape of our performance (which is all we have to go on I understand), we also have to have realistic idea of WHO we were up against. So how much of an impact do you think the absence of those two players had on the game and how well we performed?  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Although we lost this game, things point in a very positive direction for the Colts going forward. I was slightly pessimistic going into the season with Brissett, but I saw exactly what I wanted from him. He is the perfect game manager type QB that doesn't make mistakes, that can be used with Mack to create a potent, balanced offense every week. The O-Line held their own for the most part, and I see that going forward. The defense allowed some chunk plays, but only allowed 24 points during regulation, which is standard. The huge positive was we were getting pressure, Turay broke out, and the rookies haven't even made their mark yet, so there will be more to come.

Just remember, even without Luck, we aren't a dumpster fire like some teams in the NFL, we have the best GM in the NFL, a solid coach, and a good owner. We have a lot of reasons to still be positive, and it'll be a fun season. This loss was all on Adam V. The team is going to be fine!

Have a great day guys!

I have mixed emotions on the entire game. I do agree most of the blame goes to AV, but if anyone should be able to fix things, it should be him. If he continues to struggle we need to move on, and move on quickly. I'm going to assume this is a blip until it happens again. It's so critical we have a good kicker this year as I can see a lot of close games.

On the DL, very happy to see them get 4 sacks. That's top 10 DL kind of stats if they can sustain. I do think however that LAC has a poor OL (PFF ranks them 29th), so my optimism is very cautious here. The thing that bothered me most was we played a little soft at times and gave up too many chunk plays. Hoping our DBs get better over the next couple games. Overall, in terms of yards and points allowed, we were pretty average to slightly below average. Nothing so bad though to panic as it was the first game and on the road to the West Coast.

On JB, see below.

14 hours ago, stitches said:

I kind of disagree with you. Not about any of your observations really, they are on point... I disagree about your takeaway about Brissett and what it means for the team if he is indeed a game manager. This in fact is my biggest worry really. That he turns into a stable game manager or unstable inconsistent Qb and nothing more. This is the thing I fear most - that we get sucked into paying a game manager big money long-term because of flashes here and there, but no consistent playmaking. I want him to be either bad or great. I don't want him to be in the middle ... just solid... game manager. It's incredibly hard to win at the highest level in the NFL with a game manager. He might get you in the playoffs, but then you meet QBs like Rivers, Mahomes, Mayfield, Brady, hell even Watson if the Texans somehow fix the OLine. I don't want a Mariota, I don't want an Alex Smith, I don't want a Dak Prescott. Those are players that will give you enough hope just to take it away in the post-season. 

I want Brissett to be either great so we know he can take us to the SB, or I want him to be bad, so we can more easily move on. 

This was pretty much a perfect game for us except for the Vinny kicks... we got multiple takeaways and we didn't give up any... we ran for 200 yards on the ground... the Qb had high completion %, we sacked Rivers more than they sacked Jacoby... and we still lost. Everything went our way and we still lost. We need consistent chunk plays, we need playmaking from the QB in addition to those things to be consistently successful in the league. Especially against high level QBs on the other side(what we will be facing in the playoffs). 

I agree with a lot of the above but have a bit different spin on some things. I, like you want nothing to do with a game manager. While it was definitely a game manager performance, I think the play calling was a game manager type of game plan. While I think JB keyed a bit too much on first reads and TY, he executed very well with what was given to him.

In terms of blame for the loss, I put most of it on AV, but a little on the O game plan. I'm sure it was intentional to bring JB along slowly, but it just felt they didn't have confidence to put the game in his hands. That, IMO, is not his fault. Hoping next week is different, and they allow him to do more. On this topic, only time will tell, but props to JB for executing well what was given to him, and not making any mistakes.

Overall, a lot to like, and still a lot of questions. I really hate that it took a lot of things to go wrong for LAC to get our way to get back into the game. Muff by King, INT by Rivers, missed tackles on TY's TD, etc.. While that stuff happens in a lot of games, we got some breaks at key times that we just can't count on.

Looking forward to seeing JB do more next week. Beating TN is critical, and we don't want to be 2 games down to them to start the season.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rockywoj said:

When Brissett needed to sling it to orchestrate a comeback, he did!  In this game, there’s nothing he did that would’ve fallen short of what Luck might have been able to do.  Brissett rocked!

In the heat of the loss, I was wondering why we didnt take any deep shots, hoped for more slingin. Now that I can think more clearly, Im not so sure they changed the game plan at all. Reich probably would have called the same game with a banged up AL. Brisset has a cannon on him,  we will see it soon enough. He was really good.

• Like 2

Good game yesterday, disapointing loss however. I haven't watch the whole game yet, just up to Hookers interception. The defense gave up too many yards on 3rd down, and some plays had very bad tackling. Good pressure from the dline. A play that could of had a big impact at the end of the first half was on the reception by Funchess, number 28 clearly yanked his facemask before the ball got there I don't know how Funchess caught that. That should have been 15 yards onto the end of the play. Mack burned it up, Leonard outstanding, Hooker also great. I'm ready for week two. Last year we dominated the Titans twice.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I have mixed emotions on the entire game. I do agree most of the blame goes to AV, but if anyone should be able to fix things, it should be him. If he continues to struggle we need to move on, and move on quickly. I'm going to assume this is a blip until it happens again. It's so critical we have a good kicker this year as I can see a lot of close games.

On the DL, very happy to see them get 4 sacks. That's top 10 DL kind of stats if they can sustain. I do think however that LAC has a poor OL (PFF ranks them 29th), so my optimism is very cautious here. The thing that bothered me most was we played a little soft at times and gave up too many chunk plays. Hoping our DBs get better over the next couple games. Overall, in terms of yards and points allowed, we were pretty average to slightly below average. Nothing so bad though to panic as it was the first game and on the road to the West Coast.

On JB, see below.

I agree with a lot of the above but have a bit different spin on some things. I, like you want nothing to do with a game manager. While it was definitely a game manager performance, I think the play calling was a game manager type of game plan. While I think JB keyed a bit too much on first reads and TY, he executed very well with what was given to him.

In terms of blame for the loss, I put most of it on AV, but a little on the O game plan. I'm sure it was intentional to bring JB along slowly, but it just felt they didn't have confidence to put the game in his hands. That, IMO, is not his fault. Hoping next week is different, and they allow him to do more. On this topic, only time will tell, but props to JB for executing well what was given to him, and not making any mistakes.

Overall, a lot to like, and still a lot of questions. I really hate that it took a lot of things to go wrong for LAC to get our way to get back into the game. Muff by King, INT by Rivers, missed tackles on TY's TD, etc.. While that stuff happens in a lot of games, we got some breaks at key times that we just can't count on.

Looking forward to seeing JB do more next week. Beating TN is critical, and we don't want to be 2 games down to them to start the season.

Good analysis overall. To be fair however, the Chargers got their fair share of breaks too:

-The 3rd down sack of Rivers that got called back because of an offsides call on Houston. That would have completely killed that drive but instead, the Chargers score a touchdown on that drive.

-The penalty on the field goal that the Chargers turned into a touchdown. That in of itself was a four point swing and was a huge gift.

-The Chargers recovered a River's fumble on a sack. Colts recover there and and they are set up in good field position.

-And of course, the three missed kicks that was largely unforeseeable from the GOAT.

I'm sure there's a few more that I'm missing here but the gist of it is, is that the Chargers got plenty of breaks too and there's prove to be more beneficial than the ones the Colts got.

Generally I agree.  I was skeptical that Brissett could put together a full game like the one he did, but I was wrong, at least for this game.

I would still like some quicker releases at times, and I think its been discussed about the lack of going down field.  I think the latter was a function of the defense not being able to stop LA very well, and the O could not afford to waste opportunities by swinging for a home run.

I'd like to see the D get some three and outs to allow the O to have more flexibility.

As far as the pass rush, while it was effective, it was a bit of a one-trick pony in that all of the pressure came from the DEs running around the OTs, especially the LT.  No inside rush, and no real inside moves from our DEs, which is going to be needed if they meet better LTs.

As far as Mack, great game, but his running style still bothers me in a nitpick way.  He seems to always clutch the ball with both hands to his chest, when sometimes he should extend one arm to ward off tackles or to extend the ball for extra yardage (like he finally did on the 2 pt conversion).  I think he tends to leave a few yards on the field because of it, and it almost cost us a firs down conversion on that last drive, but overall it didn't matter yesterday.  

2 hours ago, Restored said:

Good analysis overall. To be fair however, the Chargers got their fair share of breaks too:

-The 3rd down sack of Rivers that got called back because of an offsides call on Houston. That would have completely killed that drive but instead, the Chargers score a touchdown on that drive.

-The penalty on the field goal that the Chargers turned into a touchdown. That in of itself was a four point swing and was a huge gift.

-The Chargers recovered a River's fumble on a sack. Colts recover there and and they are set up in good field position.

-And of course, the three missed kicks that was largely unforeseeable from the GOAT.

I'm sure there's a few more that I'm missing here but the gist of it is, is that the Chargers got plenty of breaks too and there's prove to be more beneficial than the ones the Colts got.

I agree, but it felt like most of LAC's miscues were kind of dumb luck, and our miscues were just plane bad mistakes. And while both impacted the game, it seemed as if LAC's goofs were perfectly timed to help us lol and changed the complexion of the game. For a while, I thought my prayers were dialed in directly and getting granted/answered :-)

• Like 1

As bad as the defense played at times, giving up to many big plays, poor tackling, the 3rd downs just killed us(like they do every year for the past 45). I believe we had actually outgained the chargers through regulation. not bad, just left to many points on the field. The offsides on Houston on that third down sack was a killer, I believe the chargers 2 plays later on that dump off to excellar. Oh well, at least we didn't get demolished out in the heat in la for the opener this year, unlike 2 years ago when we opened in la and got crushed by the 49ers.

5 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

QB’s like Mayfield with the 3 interceptions in the 4th quarter yesterday?  So our HoF kicker misses 3 kicks & leaves 7 points on the field, our defense has 2 costly penalties both extending Chargers drives & giving them 11 extra points, yet you want to imply it was our “game manager” QB’s fault when all he did was complete 77% off his throws & should have had 3 TD’s if his pro bowl tight end doesn’t drop one (that’s another 4 point swing).  

Of course the gameplan was conservative, we were going against 2 dynamic edge rushers on the road.  Those 2 guys can & will wreck a gameplan.  So Frank called a game that minimized their impact & emphasized our O line.  Circumstances far removed from our QB cost us this game. Yet you take in all of that info & the only thing you can come up with is that it was the QB’s fault because he’s not elite according to you.  

The GOAT (not Mr sure fire elite Peyton Manning) Tom Brady, was a game manager & got 3 Super Bowls being one.  Then he grew into an elite QB & the greatest.  If it was up to you they would have went back to the elite Drew Bledsoe & dumped Brady.  If you build a time machine, go back to then, get the Pats GM job & tell them to stick with Drew over Tom.  Maybe our elite QB Peyton could have won those two playoff games in fox borough instead of losing to the game manager...

Come on, don't look at thing in this shallow and reactionary of a manner. This is a single game in which Mayfield lost both his tackles in already horrible OLine. Unless something funky happens Mayfield will be a good QB in this league. 

I agree Jacoby was NOT the reason we lost this game and this was NOT what I was saying. Not even close. But if Reich keeps calling the game for him like that and if he keeps playing this type of game he will be the reason we lose games in the future, first because we won't have this good of a game on multiple different other levels and because he won't always complete close to 80% of his passes... 

Also... Brady and Belichick and the Pats are a different animal, even in his early days Brady was making big time throws with big time accuracy. We haven't seen that with consistency from Brissett yet. We might see it this season. I am not ruling it out... but I want to see it before I believe it. 

Also I have a thing about drawing conclusions from Brady and the Pats - don't... you just won't be able to replicate what they are doing... there is so much more going into what the Pats are doing that IMO it is futile trying to replicate it and foolish expecting you will be able to replicate it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Agree on this. Fans want to point to the missed FGs and penalties as reasons they should have won this game...and that's valid to an extent. However, the Colts caught some huge breaks as well...with King muffing a punt and Rivers throwing that duck on 2nd and goal. If not for that INT, the LAC offense would have scored 4 TDs and a FG on their past 6 possessions...and the game is probably over at that point and then JB has to do his best Luck impersonation to try and score 15 points late in the game...which we have not yet seen.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Agree on this. Fans want to point to the missed FGs and penalties as reasons they should have won this game...and that's valid to an extent. However, the Colts caught some huge breaks as well...with King muffing a punt and Rivers throwing that duck on 2nd and goal. If not for that INT, the LAC offense would have scored 4 TDs and a FG on their past 6 possessions...and the game is probably over at that point and then JB has to do his best Luck impersonation to try and score 15 points late in the game...which we have not yet seen.

Yes, we got some breaks, but so did Chargers get some breaks from our misfortunes. That's football.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 4:55 AM, southwest1 said:

Fantastic post Jared. My own disagreement with you is the line I bolded. Did Adam's misses hurt us on the scoreboard or make the hole to dig out of deeper than we would have preferred? Yes. However, we can't lay this loss entirely at V's feet. He's not the terminator or an unstoppable cyborg for crying out loud. He's been so clutch for so long that our expectations are out of whack.  It's week 1; these misses don't give me pause at all. Hades, most teams misfire the first week since most of the veterans have not played a full game yet. Adam has earned a lot of cache in this league for the Pats & INDY. He'll be fine. Everybody's rusty even the refs. 

Yep, our defense was making Rivers slide up in the pocket & Hooker did take away 6 points from the powder blue LA Bolts late in the game to keep us alive, Mack looked solid on the ground, & TY has a nose for the end zone just like always, even Ebron was on fire until the refs screwed us over with a lame call. 

Jacoby played well better than I anticipated he would. Like you said so eloquently, he makes good decisions with the ball. Uh huh. INDY is definitely no dumpster fire indeed. 

I will give you a like anyway since I agree with 95% of what you wrote. I'm not really that upset with you Jared. I just can't condemn Adam. The dude is money. He just had a hiccup today that's all. He will work his tail off this week to redeem himself & get his mojo back buddy. :hat:

You absolutely have Blue blinders on today if you don’t think Adam V should be the main culprit to take the blame. Had JB had 2 picks, you would have been all over him as the reason we lost is imagine. Look, you can absolutely love AV, I think most every one of us do, but it’s also true that 2 missed FG’s and an extra point was the difference in the game. Clearly stated, this loss is at the feet of Vinny, not one shadow of a doubt. He may have built up street cred, but it’s still his loss. Let’s cheer to see AV bounce back and finish the season strong. 

As for the Ebron TD call that was incomplete, it was. By the letter of the league description, that was an incomplete ball, as badly as I’d love to be on board with you, it’s the correct call. 

The team looks to be in good shape. Just enough pass rush, however, that oline wasn’t at full strength so let’s see what they do against a top notch oline intact. 

Im more concerned about the continuation of poor coverage over the middle and out of the backfield stuff. Just too many gaps we let go. The tackling as well was awful. Call it rust, lack of playing time as a team in the preseason or addition of some rookies but defense has to be better, that side gives me more concern and confidence that it’s the group we hoped over what the offense side gave us Sunday. 

So my pure takeaway here from this game is, since many wrote this game off with Luck in as a loss and still had us winning 10-12 games, we are still on par, it’s not a dumpster fire 2017 team. We also have now seen the team with JB leading it and we had reason to believe he is going to be ok. If our running game is real, oh man, this offense will be hot. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

You absolutely have Blue blinders on today if you don’t think Adam V should be the main culprit to take the blame. Had JB had 2 picks, you would have been all over him as the reason we lost is imagine. Look, you can absolutely love AV, I think most every one of us do, but it’s also true that 2 missed FG’s and an extra point was the difference in the game. Clearly stated, this loss is at the feet of Vinny, not one shadow of a doubt. He may have built up street cred, but it’s still his loss. Let’s cheer to see AV bounce back and finish the season strong. 

As for the Ebron TD call that was incomplete, it was. By the letter of the league description, that was an incomplete ball, as badly as I’d love to be on board with you, it’s the correct call. 

The team looks to be in good shape. Just enough pass rush, however, that oline wasn’t at full strength so let’s see what they do against a top notch oline intact. 

Im more concerned about the continuation of poor coverage over the middle and out of the backfield stuff. Just too many gaps we let go. The tackling as well was awful. Call it rust, lack of playing time as a team in the preseason or addition of some rookies but defense has to be better, that side gives me more concern and confidence that it’s the group we hoped over what the offense side gave us Sunday. 

So my pure takeaway here from this game is, since many wrote this game off with Luck in as a loss and still had us winning 10-12 games, we are still on par, it’s not a dumpster fire 2017 team. We also have now seen the team with JB leading it and we had reason to believe he is going to be ok. If our running game is real, oh man, this offense will be hot. 

Remember when you criticize the D, that we were up against one of the best QBs in the league.  Rivers may be cursed in the playoffs but he definitely is an elite quarterback, you need to recognize that before evaluating how the D played against him

• Like 1