Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Irsay turned down $3.2 billion offer for team

1959Colts

People speculating that Luck leaving broke his spirit and now he wants out. I really can’t see that being the case. His entire life has been the Colts, and he’s been raising his daughters in the same fashion, no doubt to take over ownership one day. I can’t imagine he would change course like that.

12 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

If sold, why would the Colts move away from Indy?  Indy is actually one of the NFL's 10 largest cities with a population larger than Boston, Cincy, Cleveland, Detroit, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Baltimore, KC and on and on.

This is not 1984 anymore.

Not sure why you say Indy is a top 10 largest city.

image.thumb.png.48ac9931867936b8b5a95f204542866f.png

image.png.6b4c75e9ccc0c8b2ecbf380e2336ff38.png

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not sure why you say Indy is a top 10 largest city.

image.thumb.png.48ac9931867936b8b5a95f204542866f.png

image.png.6b4c75e9ccc0c8b2ecbf380e2336ff38.png

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/

Rank Name State 2019 Population 

1 New York New York 8,601,186

2 Los Angeles California 4,057,841

3 Chicago Illinois 2,679,044

4 Houston Texas 2,359,480

5 Phoenix Arizona 1,711,356

6 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 1,576,596

7 San Antonio Texas 1,565,929

8 San Diego California 1,453,775

9 Dallas Texas 1,379,735

10 San Jose California 1,033,519

11 Austin Texas 1,001,104

12 Jacksonville Florida 920,984

13 Fort Worth Texas 913,939

14 San Francisco California 897,536

15 Columbus Ohio 890,228

16 Charlotte North Carolina 889,019

17 Indianapolis Indiana 863,771

18 Seattle Washington 766,893

19 Denver Colorado 732,144

20 Washington Dc District Of Columbia 713,549

21 El Paso Texas 696,610

22 Boston Massachusetts 694,784

24 Nashville Tennessee 679,318

I actually said top 10 populated NFL city and Indy's 11th.  My bad.

Indy is 11th out of 32 NFL cities and growing fast, and that's not including 1/2-3/4 of a million from surrounding counties that should be included due to sprawl.  In reality Indy has nothing to worry about, as many once great NFL cities are decaying.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

9 Dallas Texas 1,379,735

15 Columbus Ohio 890,228

21 El Paso Texas 696,610

misleading, if you go by market size and not just city limits indy is much lower

• Like 2

Where did that list come from? Somebody's buttcrack? :D

Jacksonville, Charlotte, and El Paso are larger than Boston? Atlanta? Miami?

I think that list is only counting population within the city limits proper. The satellite metro areas and suburbs make up a significant population.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

9 Dallas Texas 1,379,735

15 Columbus Ohio 890,228

21 El Paso Texas 696,610

Indy is 11th out of 32 NFL cities and growing fast, and that's not including 1/2-3/4 of a million from surrounding counties that should be included due to sprawl.  In reality Indy has nothing to worry about, as many once great NFL cities are decaying.  

Indy actually has less population in surrounding counties than most cities.   

I'm not fearful that Indy will move, but it could happen.   I think JAX is still the number 1 franchise on the list to relocate.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Indy actually has less population in surrounding counties than most cities.   

I'm not fearful that Indy will move, but it could happen.   I think JAX is still the number 1 franchise on the list to relocate.   

That was my main point too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Derakynn said:

People speculating that Luck leaving broke his spirit and now he wants out. I really can’t see that being the case. His entire life has been the Colts, and he’s been raising his daughters in the same fashion, no doubt to take over ownership one day. I can’t imagine he would change course like that.

If cutting Peyton didn’t then Luck retiring won’t.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i'm saying that person who called probably didn't have 3.2 billion it could be just a prankster lol

... you do realize that you don't have to have 3 billion cash (or even in assets) to purchase a business worth 3 billion, correct? In fact, even if they did, they wouldn't put all their cash in it. It's called financing, utilizing other investors and a business cash flowing a loan.

The Colts bring in hundreds of million in revenue each year. Their value increased nearly 80% over 5 years and all nfl teams are set to continue shooting up in value going forward because of their dominance in television. I don't think reports of this nature are phony one bit. Plenty of wealthy business people would love to get their hand in league ownership right now... it's a small club and the Irsay's are proud to belong. 

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

... you do realize that you don't have to have 3 billion cash (or even in assets) to purchase a business worth 3 billion, correct? In fact, even if they did, they wouldn't put all their cash in it. It's called financing, utilizing other investors and a business cash flowing a loan.

The Colts bring in hundreds of million in revenue each year. Their value increased nearly 80% over 5 years and all nfl teams are set to continue shooting up in value going forward because of their dominance in television. I don't think reports of this nature are phony one bit. Plenty of wealthy business people would love to get their hand in league ownership right now... it's a small club and the Irsay's are proud to belong. 

Have you listened to the ESPN podcast that recently came out, The Sterling Affair? It's about the Donald Sterling scandal that led to him being forced out of the NBA. 

At one point toward the end of the podcast, there's a part about Sterling meeting Steve Ballmer, the former Microsoft CEO who bought the Clippers from him for $2B. When they met, Sterling asked Ballmer whether he really had $2B cash. Ballmer assures him, 'yeah, I have the money, don't worry about that.' And Sterling goes on to criticize and lecture Ballmer, basically calling him stupid for having that much liquid cash, advising him that he should be investing that money and diversifying, and using financing to make this purchase, not paying cash. 

Sterling didn't become a multi millionaire -- and eventual billionaire -- by not understanding how to make his money work for him. But it's hilarious to me that, even at his lowest moment, after being betrayed by his mistressed and legally out-maneuvered by his wife, he took it upon himself to teach a lesson in finance to a man who was probably worth $40-50B at the time. 

Your post just reminded me of that. Not in a bad way, just brought that back to my mind. You're right, most times the sale of a sports team would be executed using multiple forms of financing, but sometimes a guy just wires the funds from his account and is done with it. Wouldn't surprise me if Ballmer has leveraged against the team since then, specifically to work on getting their new arena done in Inglewood, which will be across the street from the new Rams/Chargers stadium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

Have you listened to the ESPN podcast that recently came out, The Sterling Affair? It's about the Donald Sterling scandal that led to him being forced out of the NBA. 

At one point toward the end of the podcast, there's a part about Sterling meeting Steve Ballmer, the former Microsoft CEO who bought the Clippers from him for $2B. When they met, Sterling asked Ballmer whether he really had $2B cash. Ballmer assures him, 'yeah, I have the money, don't worry about that.' And Sterling goes on to criticize and lecture Ballmer, basically calling him stupid for having that much liquid cash, advising him that he should be investing that money and diversifying, and using financing to make this purchase, not paying cash. 

Sterling didn't become a multi millionaire -- and eventual billionaire -- by not understanding how to make his money work for him. But it's hilarious to me that, even at his lowest moment, after being betrayed by his mistressed and legally out-maneuvered by his wife, he took it upon himself to teach a lesson in finance to a man who was probably worth $40-50B at the time. 

Your post just reminded me of that. Not in a bad way, just brought that back to my mind. You're right, most times the sale of a sports team would be executed using multiple forms of financing, but sometimes a guy just wires the funds from his account and is done with it. Wouldn't surprise me if Ballmer has leveraged against the team since then, specifically to work on getting their new arena done in Inglewood, which will be across the street from the new Rams/Chargers stadium.

I have not, but I'll look into it. Donald Sterling is an interesting fellow. Racist, piece of work, but interesting nevertheless...

There are plenty of organizations that have the cash on hand to purchase billion dollar businesses outright at any time. Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway takes pride in having at least $20 billion cash for business ventures... Not a lot of individuals have that kind of cash. They might have that net worth, but they didn't get that kind of worth by sitting on cash. It's invested, it's in equity, it can be leveraged, but it's not available today... 

I do like that NFL requires, I think it's 30 or 40 % of ownership to be with a single (face of the organization) or a family. That keeps organizations or groups from owning an entire franchise. Like I said in my original post, all 32 franchises are (at the current moment) on the uptick in worth, due to the tv revenues that keep climbing, and the shrewd business that is the NFL expanding their operations overseas and through North America. That is a small club to belong to, and it's fruitful. Any billionaire would love what is (all but guaranteed) a nice annual R.O.I. (return on investment.) I'm sure nfl clubs get hit up by legit investors on a normal basis... (especially when something like their franchise quarterback and face of the organization retires abruptly.)

57 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

The Colts bring in hundreds of million in revenue each year. Their value increased nearly 80% over 5 years and all nfl teams are set to continue shooting up in value going forward because of their dominance in television. I don't think reports of this nature are phony one bit. Plenty of wealthy business people would love to get their hand in league ownership right now... 

And yet they won't even give Krapernick a measly $80 million a year.

14 minutes ago, BOTT said:

They already have two teams

Yeah that's typical radio nonsense. Everyone that listens gets on social media and talks about what Rush Limbaugh spouted off this morning (Hint: it's about how he likes to stay low-key and not be in the limelight, aka television... ha! What a toolbag.) 

8 minutes ago, Rebel said:

And yet they won't even give Krapernick a measly $80 million a year.

Would you? I'm guessing by you spelling his name "Krapernick" you are joking. 

I, myself, have nothing against his social stance, whatsoever. To each their own. I have deep roots in the armed forces, police and black communities alike, and understand that this is all a media driven circus that is escalated by popular figures like our President that stirs his base (I'm going to take a wild stab and include you in there) over this ordeal. There are issues on all fronts (navy seals are currently in the news with cultural questions, police are in the news in our own beloved state of Indiana punching teenage kids, and the black community take the brunt of most social issues such as this...)

At the end of the day, an NFL franchise is big business and they are going to protect their interest, not Colin Kaepernick and his social cause. That means that Mr. Kaepernick will remain unemployed, because no team is going to throw him starting qb money and bring him on, especially the longer he sits. 

37 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

this is all a media driven circus that is escalated by popular figures like our President that stirs his base (I'm going to take a wild stab and include you in there) over this ordeal. 

That's a very wild stab, indeed. Anyone that makes fun of Kaepfronick = Trump base. Do you also have an opinion as to my likely favorite kind of pie?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Would you? I'm guessing by you spelling his name "Krapernick" you are joking. 

I, myself, have nothing against his social stance, whatsoever. To each their own. I have deep roots in the armed forces, police and black communities alike, and understand that this is all a media driven circus that is escalated by popular figures like our President that stirs his base (I'm going to take a wild stab and include you in there) over this ordeal. 

Mostly this was Kaeps own doing.   He made his bed....

I didn't care about his kneeling until he did it at a Veterans Day celebration game.   Vets from the wars of the past 100 years were being honored.  Many had family and friends who came home in boxes draped with the flag Kaep was kneeling against.  He should have taken that day off from his protest.  Then the Castro shirt.  Why would anyone support that?   The socks depicting police officers as pigs.  Throw in his racist girlfriend and you have a person who is not employable.   

He did this to himself.    

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Myles said:

Then the Castro shirt.  Why would anyone support that?   The socks depicting police officers as pigs.  Throw in his racist girlfriend and you have a person who is not employable.   

This I agree with 100%. I think the kneeling protest is maybe what the media talks about, but those events you mentioned were the drop in the bucket when things starting spriling out of control for his image. It took a nose dive for a great deal of the football viewership. 

I'm just not in favor of distractions, personally and it's why I love this team. Right now, the only drama is Andrew Luck retiring. That's pretty damn good. You see what the Raiders are dealing with in AB... he's the best receiver in the league, but is he worth the baggage he's bringing? Does that rollover to the rest of the team where your GM can't even have a conversation with a player without it turning into an argument because of their attitude.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

This I agree with 100%. I think the kneeling protest is maybe what the media talks about, but those events you mentioned were the drop in the bucket when things starting spriling out of control for his image. It took a nose dive for a great deal of the football viewership. 

I'm just not in favor of distractions, personally and it's why I love this team. Right now, the only drama is Andrew Luck retiring. That's pretty damn good. You see what the Raiders are dealing with in AB... he's the best receiver in the league, but is he worth the baggage he's bringing? Does that rollover to the rest of the team where your GM can't even have a conversation with a player without it turning into an argument because of their attitude.. 

Wherever Kaep would play, it's be all about him.   That's not fair to the rest of the team.   

If we suspect that it might be someone who specifically wants the Colts in particular.  Carl Cook is the only man in Indiana with that kind of money.   

The other option is that one of the billionares out there who doesn't currently own an NFL team is hunting for an NFL team to buy.