Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett Extended (Merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

24 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

I disagree.  And that's not even considering no Braden either. And whoever else has been drafted from those picks we got in the trade. 

Yeah.  I don’t think my opinion on that one was too popular.  4 confuseds.  Hahaha

i like Allen and think he’s special and you have to put some value into the position differential.  

(We’d still have the trade from 3 to 6 so keep Braden etc. )

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I get it...but they had him for two years regardless. They are spending as much money as they would have if they just franchised him.  

If he hadn't work out...they wouldn't have any dead money and they would have saved the money for this year. 

But now...I don't think there is any way they aren't either keeping or trading Brissett next offseason (that last part has me hopeful..though unlikely). Releasing him won't be an option...short of his arm falling off. That second year not being a franchise tag is about the only thing of real value here...and I don't see them wasting that. 

But I am with you...just unprecedented situation. I can't recall a franchise QB retiring two weeks before the season...and I can't recall a backup QB suddenly getting a huge raise because of it.

Ultimately, I am not crazy about Brissett as the starting QB...and I hope he proves me very wrong.

Who do you see as the starter then.

(assuming you dont prefer JB)

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I’d venture to say we have not seen the Jacoby Brissett at his top of his game just yet. That coaching staff in 2017 was beyond abysmal 

They were...but that offense (with the same coaching staff and largely the same personnel) was basically top 10 with Luck the year before...and Luck had a torn labrum. Not fair to compare JB to Luck straight up (especially at that point in their respective careers)...but we also can't ignore the talent disparity until proven otherwise. 

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Who do you see as the starter then.

(assuming you dont prefer JB)

Someone that isn't on the team yet. But I am talking more about JB long-term...obviously he's the guy this year. I don't really subscribe to the idea that an averageish QB around a great team is going to get it done. And I think if Ballard is truly building a great team...they should be looking to get aggressive in the draft to find their next guy.

13 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Someone that isn't on the team yet. But I am talking more about JB long-term...obviously he's the guy this year. I don't really subscribe to the idea that an averageish QB around a great team is going to get it done. And I think if Ballard is truly building a great team...they should be looking to get aggressive in the draft to find their next guy.

I'd bet the house that is one of Ballards scenarios.

I dont know why everyone thinks this is a long-term marriage to JB.

I agree that the future starter PROBABLY isnt on the team now.  Jacoby has a chance to change that.  The two year extension gives us flexibility.   A "cheap" out if he struggles, and a brilliant move if he plays well.  Hoyer is a non-issue in this issue, tho i think he was a valuable addition for the position we found ourselves in.  He will add confidence and REALLY help JB feel comfortable .  Hes a pro and has spent the last few years backing up the current "top qb."  

.The QB position just shot way up on Balkards draft board tho. If he sees the right guy available in draft, i can see him pulling the trigger.  We would still have JB and/or Hoyer as a bridge.

And dont get hung up on the money.  Its NOTHING in the big picture and wont hirt us cap-wise in any noticeable way.

I think, under the circumstances, we are in good shape QB-wise.  Better than a bunch of teams, imo.

But we shall see.  Gonna be unpredictable and exciting.  Thats for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'd bet the house that is one of Ballards scenarios.

I dont know why everyone thinks this is a long-term marriage to JB.

I agree that the future starter PROBABLY isnt on the team now.  Jacoby has a chance to change that.  The two year extension gives us flexibility.   A "cheap" out if he struggles, and a brilliant move if he plays well.  Hoyer is a non-issue in this issue, tho i think he was a valuable addition for the position we found ourselves in.  He will add confidence and REALLY help JB feel comfortable .  Hes a pro and has spent the last few years backing up the current "top qb."  

.The QB position just shot way up on Balkards draft board tho. If he sees the right guy available in draft, i can see him pulling the trigger.  We would still have JB and/or Hoyer as a bridge.

And dont get hung up on the money.  Its NOTHING in the big picture and wont hirt us cap-wise in any noticeable way.

I think, under the circumstances, we are in good shape QB-wise.  Better than a bunch of teams, imo.

But we shall see.  Gonna be unpredictable and exciting.  Thats for sure.

I don't think JB is the long term answer. Problem is, he's just good enough to where you're going to be forced to trade up in the draft, I don't see a top 5 pick with JB at QB happening.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don't think JB is the long term answer. Problem is, he's just good enough to where you're going to be forced to trade up in the draft, I don't see a top 5 pick with JB at QB happening.

5 teams out of 32 will have top 5 picks.  VERY bad teams.  Most franchises havent seen a top 5 pick in decades...: if ever.  And i dont believe a top 5 guarantees a QB.

Im not sure what your point is. 

So trade up.  Big deal.

Throw conventional practice out the window.  This is somewhat unchartered territory.  

We'll be alright.

8 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

5 teams out of 32 will have top 5 picks.  VERY bad teams.  Most franchises havent seen a top 5 pick in decades...: if ever.  And i dont believe a top 5 guarantees a QB.

Im not sure what your point is. 

So trade up.  Big deal.

Throw conventional practice out the window.  This is somewhat unchartered territory.  

We'll be alright.

I was referring to the posters that are clamouring for Lawerence or one of those others that are projected as top 5 pick QBs. That is my point. 

I think you HAVE to give the benefit of the doubt to Reich

He was a QB, and has been instrumental in QB development (Eagles)

He watches JB in practice every day

If they were 100% sold on JB, he would have a longer time period / bigger contract

As 1070 said... they are "95%" sold on JB

The way that the contract was set, the Colts arent underwater too much if things go to crap

They can go another way next year (Draft)

Mr Briskett......... Your time is NOW

Are you a good NFL starter, or a career back up TRYING to be THE guy

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nickster said:

Only Stafford, Garrapolo, Cousins, and Ryan make between 25 and 32.  Now it could be said that at least a couple of these are bad contracts taking the franchise no where and another couple are not yet determined.

Garrapolo is likely a bad contract.

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm afraid he's going to roasted on here after the Charger game.   I thought we'd lose that game with Luck, so I think Brissett will have a rough time.  

The Chargers game is an interesting test for the whole team

They are without their top RB, LT, and SS

Their OL is a MESS per their fans 

If we were going to pull an upset win..... this is the week

They have an excellent DL, which is offset by our excellent OL

We need to run the dang ball, (supposedly a weakness for this DL) and short passes, from JB

I think we have a decent chance this week  

• Like 2

On 9/2/2019 at 10:26 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I disagree. There were a lot saying a two year deal would work out great before this today.

If he is a flop its a bad deal but I believe he could get us 6-10 wins with 2019 version of the colts the 2017 version would have been again 2-4 wins but since this team is much better than it was in the 2017 version I believe he will be a capable starter.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I get it...but they had him for two years regardless. They are spending as much money as they would have if they just franchised him.  

Yes, but the player is now a satisfied participant. Not a disgruntled 'franchise tagged'  player. The tag is no longer a 'badge of honor' it once was.

If he hadn't work out...they wouldn't have any dead money and they would have saved the money for this year. 

Who would play, then... Hoyer?  Swag? {maybe he stays clean, and develops more} Or a new drafted QB?

But now...I don't think there is any way they aren't either keeping or trading Brissett next offseason (that last part has me hopeful..though unlikely). Releasing him won't be an option...short of his arm falling off. That second year not being a franchise tag is about the only thing of real value here...and I don't see them wasting that. 

Brissett is not a disgruntled player, and the tag is free to use on someone else if needed.

But I am with you...just unprecedented situation. I can't recall a franchise QB retiring two weeks before the season...and I can't recall a backup QB suddenly getting a huge raise because of it.

Not exactly the same, but 2 weeks before the 1999 season, Trent Green went out with serious injury for the year.  Kurt Warner (only football snaps were in Euro NFL and Arena league) took over. contract was redone with a pay increase for that year. After Warner led them top the Super Bowl title, he got a massive contract to be the Rams starting QB, Trent Green came back for 1 more year as his backup (then was moved to be KC's starter).

Ultimately, I am not crazy about Brissett as the starting QB...and I hope he proves me very wrong.

He might.  The Colts have a good team.  Some football greats in the know say Brissett has the "IT" factor.  That pied piper ability to get the other guys to follow and play a notch above, as a collective.  With this more talented group and the improved coaching, JB might not only prove you wrong, but Dick Vermeil as well who said about about Warner's feat, 'It was never done before, and will never be again.' It's a lot to ask, for certain. But never, say never.

Even Franck Reich had great success as backup with great success starting games behind (an injured) Jim Kelly. And he helped Nick Foles to great success when Carson Wentz went out.  In my mind, I'll be more surprised if JB lays and egg rather than excels this year. Just my :2c:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Superman said:

Your analysis is flawed

His (flawed) analysis is based upon Ticking JB off by not increasing his pay to go along with his new instant promotion to starting QB, and further ticking JB off having the team to use the exclusive Franchise tag on him after he way over-performs his 2 million contract.

Yes, maybe the same money... but totally different team/player dynamics.  I prefer Ballard's way.

Let's see if Kelly stays clean in 2019 and improves enough to 'earn' the starting job for 2020.  In all facets such as playbook knowledge, meeting room participation, film break down, game planning input, defense recognition, practice drills mastery, locker room trust relationships, etc... not just flash raw throwing talent.

• Like 4

I have seen several posts saying Brisette is either mediocre or not going to be able to run this offense on a high level.  Some compare 2017.  This year we saw 10 passes in pre-season games where he completed 8 for 100 yards and I think a TD.  How can we judge his abilities based on a very different 2017 team where he got to the team less than 2 weeks earlier, where he was sacked 52 times and we had a poor defense that meant he likely was playing from behind quite often.   We need to give him a chance to see how he is after first team reps all most all pre-season, 2 years under the new system, a formidable defense, a very good front offensive line and a much better coach and play caller.  We should hold out criticism until he earns it. Hopefully he will only earn our praise.  Bledsoe to Brady, hmmmm   That worked out well... Lets hope Luck to Brisette is our version.  Remember Wally Pip

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

So you would agree that the Colts front office might have the early hots on a quarterback in next years draft? 

I think all  teams do.   You at least take notice and do your due diligence.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

May sound crazy. I think he reminds me a little of Cullpepoer and Mcnabb. I don’t like to used those because they all have the same skin color but I think his playing style and toughness could be compared to them.

Culpepper is a pretty good comp. Winston as well. He most reminds me of Bortles though. Big body, big arm, and can run when he needs to. 

I don't see McNabb though. McNabb was far shiftier in the pocket than JB. 

• Like 2