Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ashton Dulin - Did we just find our return guy?

EastStreet

Overview

Highly decorated developmental size/speed receiver from an unsuccessful program on the DII level. Dulin was a beacon of light for the Pioneers racking up 26 total touchdowns over the last two years as a pass catcher, ball carrier and kick returner. The jump in competition is substantial and may be too much to overcome and his route work is very basic right now. However, his size, speed and ball skills give him a chance while his kick return value could make him a day three selection worthy of stashing and developing.

full profile

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ashton-dulin?id=32194455-4c52-1764-a87e-56f5232faa90

• 2 weeks later...

I had not seen Ashton Dulin before we signed him and all I have is one game of his(still haven't seen it), but the analytics/fantasy football people are CRAZY HIGH on him.

The best "dominator rating" of any receiver in the class... super high production, super high yards/reception, really young breakout age... And then he tested great at the combine... 

Here's the one game that's out there of him:

Honestly, I don't have the time or patience to watch this... but oh well... if someone has the time... 

I listened to a podcast today with Hayden Winks of Rotoworld who thinks Dulin has a real chance to make the Colts roster. 

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

He's bigger, faster and stronger than Rogers and the same size as Pascal but also faster and stronger.

If he shows any kind of polish as a receiver, there is a chance to earn a roster spot.

i think he's a project at WR, which we already have a few of those... 

but i think if his hands are solid for returns, he could grab a slot.

i like roger's consistency (both at WR and returns) and his improvement last year at WR, but i just don't see him ever excelling at returns. he is great depth at WR (and returns) though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Heck, he scores every time he touches the ball!

He looks like a pro playing against high school kids.  Kind of reminds me of Garçon.  He was polished even after coming from a D3 school. 

Garcon played at Mount Union which is basically like a D1 Football Program playing D3 (pretty sure their coach is the winning college football coach in history).  Malone University is D-2, which I generally think of as weaker than D3 in terms of football.

I just read Malone U. has axed their football program after last year.  Glad we found this guy before that happened (not that I expect him to be more than practice squad material).... he definitely got the size and speed with potential to develop... even though he's not playing top competition, it also seemed like he's got good balance, runs pretty good routes and isn't afraid to go up and get the ball.

Honestly, if the coaches can develop his natural athletic set and turn him into a football player he probably has a higher ceiling than Rogers and a couple other WRs on our current squad... hopefully he can translate into a Sunday player, that'd be cool story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

i think he's a project at WR, which we already have a few of those... 

but i think if his hands are solid for returns, he could grab a slot.

i like roger's consistency (both at WR and returns) and his improvement last year at WR, but i just don't see him ever excelling at returns. he is great depth at WR (and returns) though.

In today's NFL he is "reliable". Nothing spectacular but he gets the job done. 

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

we were 31st in KO returns, and I think 18th in Punt returns. 

i'd say we need to look at improvement.

We were 13th in average punt returns.  There’s always room for improvement at any position but Rogers was decent there.   

We are going to lose at least one or two decent WRs come cutdown day.  Going to be a fun position to watch!

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

We were 13th in average punt returns.  There’s always room for improvement at any position but Rogers was decent there.   

We are going to lose at least one or two decent WRs come cutdown day.  Going to be a fun position to watch!

Not calling for Rogers to be cut at all. Pretty sure he'll make it given his improvement last year, and that he's a returner and the only Z back up we had last year. 

Need to improve KRs regardless.

10 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I think we need to petition to expand roster sizes.

The Colts will probably let some good players walk. Ballard (or Reich, I don’t remember which), said it will be to let some solid players go,  when the last cutdown comes.

He also said “that’s what you want”.

15 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

The Colts will probably let some good players walk. Ballard (or Reich, I don’t remember which), said it will be to let some solid players go,  when the last cutdown comes.

He also said “that’s what you want”.

Yea that was kind of my point. It's certainly a good situation to be in but it stinks at the same time. I feel like guys from our practice squad will be getting plucked this year.

I continue to believe Rogers is undervalued by this Board. He solidified the punt return game, which is far more important than KO returns, most of which are now fielded for a touch back. And he had a very decent second half of the season. He's a good #5-6 WR, and a reliable returner, and I think he'll stick. 

Dulin would be a good PS addition, someone to stash and develop. I do not see him making the 53 man squad. No way. 

8 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I agree. I meant reliable as in I didn't cringe in fear of a fumble as in years past. Reliable. Lol

Rogers has been Mr. Reliable :-) in both areas. That's why I'm a fan of keeping him even if the young pups mature quickly. 

• Like 1

I don't see what others see in Rogers here. I think he is extremely replaceable... he's OK if he's your 5th-6th receiver, but you will always be looking for an upgrade if he's anything more for you and that's exactly what Ballard did - he drafted an elusive slot in the second and paid 8 figured for a big slot/big X in Free agency...Ballard is telling you what he thinks of our receiver corps from last year and Rogers specifically by the type of players he acquired...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't see what others see in Rogers here. I think he is extremely replaceable... he's OK if he's your 5th-6th receiver, but you will always be looking for an upgrade if he's anything more for you and that's exactly what Ballard did - he drafted an elusive slot in the second and paid 8 figured for a big slot/big X in Free agency...Ballard is telling you what he thinks of our receiver corps from last year and Rogers specifically by the type of players he acquired...

Not saying he's better than a 5th or 6th, but he was the only Z back up for TY last year, and was a return guy. And Rogers took a very nice step forward last year from 2017. I think it's a year early for moving off him.

12 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Yea that was kind of my point. It's certainly a good situation to be in but it stinks at the same time. I feel like guys from our practice squad will be getting plucked this year.

Better to have a practice squad that folks want, than one nobody wants to touch. Just means the team is getting better. I think we'll hide development folks there so that teams know little about them. It's a shell game.

27 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

what's his 40? nevermind, found it, it's a 4.43, and a 7.0 on 3-cone.  liked to see his 3-cone go way down, i wonder if he slipped or anything?  Very similar to Daurice Fountain although DF could jump to the moon.

??? 7.0 puts him in the top 10 of combine WRs

Faster than Deebo, McLaurin, Harmon, Ridley, Metcalf, etc.. only .05 off of Isabella.

You thinking of another agility drill?

5 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

??? 7.0 puts him in the top 10 of combine WRs

Faster than Deebo, McLaurin, Harmon, Ridley, Metcalf, etc.. only .05 off of Isabella.

You thinking of another agility drill?

no, im not saying 7 is bad, sub-7's are really ideal, top-notch.  Renfro Boykin, Morgan type numbers.

10 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Better to have a practice squad that folks want, than one nobody wants to touch. Just means the team is getting better. I think we'll hide development folks there so that teams know little about them. It's a shell game.

Again, that was my point.

11 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Not saying he's better than a 5th or 6th, but he was the only Z back up for TY last year, and was a return guy. And Rogers took a very nice step forward last year from 2017. I think it's a year early for moving off him.

You really think they would have left Rogers in in TY's spot if TY had been out for any lengthy period?  Maybe, but I don't think that would necessarily mean they thought of him as a clearly better option in that scenraio than any other WR on the roster...

12 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

no, im not saying 7 is bad, sub-7's are really ideal, top-notch.  Renfro Boykin, Morgan type numbers.

Sure it'd be great if can improve, but there's plenty of WRs in the top 10 in yards with 7.0s or greater. I'm perfectly happy with top 10 at position. 

And comparing the other guys for instance....

As a huge ND fan, Boykin did not play game fast up to his 40 and 3CD times. That may have been a product of his QB and routes, but on tape he's not getting a ton of separation out wide. Boykin is about the same 40 as Dulin though, but I think he takes longer (long strider) to get up to speed.

Refro is shifty in the slot, but he's not fast at all. He's 4.59 on the 40. Definition of quicker than fast. He was reliable as hell though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

You really think they would have left Rogers in in TY's spot if TY had been out for any lengthy period?  Maybe, but I don't think that would necessarily mean they thought of him as a clearly better option in that scenraio than any other WR on the roster...

Not sure who else you'd put at Z, that wasn't a developmental guy. Pascal and Inman were both Xs who played a little slot. I don't think anyone else logged minutes at Z except TY and Rogers. Because of all the motion required for the Z, it's probably the hardest WR position to be good at given you have to run great routes, but also know all the motion sets.

And the closest in size (not that you have to have a short guy at Z) was Johnson, and he was playing behind Alshon Jefferies (6-3) out wide before he came to the Colts. I know the Colts were trying to use him in the slot too, just not sure if they had him practicing any Z routes. He did play week 6 when TY was out, but though he was in slot, and Rogers was Z.