Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What it be worth the risk for the Colts to trade for Gerald McCoy?

I think none of his contract next season is  guarantee.....he been a Pro Bowl DT just a couple of years ago and I do believe the Bucs willing to move on.....maybe if the Colts offer like a 3rd rounder 

Thoughts?

The Bucs are in salary cap hell.   If they can’t do a deal,  they may be close to releasing him out right.    

McCoy would be free to sell himself to the team of his choice.   Depending on what his price is, I think the Colts would have some level of interest.  

I think McCoy is a very Ballard-type of player in terms of his locker room and leadership presence.   How much does he have left in the tank is not clear to me.    He might be reborn with us.

Edited by NewColtsFan
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Our dline already has enough guys  in the 30 range. We need young guys. Our dline has some age that isn’t getting younger.

they drafted two last year and one the year before not counting basham. for once we are going into the draft without any dire needs.  

i would be interested in Gerald, he could be as good or better than anyone we have at the position 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sheard will be 30 in a few weeks. Houston is also 30. Autry is getting close also. I would not bring in someone at that age right now.

While I understand why you may not want McCoy, your original reply was far from this.  It is fine, I am

just stating facts.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sheard will be 30 in a few weeks. Houston is also 30. Autry is getting close also. I would not bring in someone at that age right now.

Do players suddenly expire at 30? If they still have production at the right value I couldn't care less about how old they are. A lot of successful teams have mastered the short term "squeeze the last juice out the orange" signings. 

1 minute ago, Coltsfan66 said:

While I understand why you may not want McCoy, your original reply was far from this.  It is fine, just stating facts.

There are no facts, only interpretations. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Do players suddenly expire at 30? If they still have production at the right value I couldn't care less about how old they are. A lot of successful teams have mastered the short term "squeeze the last juice out the orange" signings. 

Well factually, Hunt is the only one currently over 30, lol!  FACT! But I appreciate your candor.

28 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

No but you have to get younger and give your young guys time to develop. They need playing time. Otherwise we will be stuck with a bunch of 35 dline men.

Absolutely. I have not kept secret how much I want to see McCoy on this team. I would think if you are cool with getting Houston...then you would be cool with McCoy...whose been a better player in his career (and more recently).

I was hoping TB would have released him earlier in the offseason. But alas, the Colts haven't commited to any other interior DL player in FA...and the money is there. 

McCoy is still productive...and fits the defense. With a chance at a Super Bowl...you might even see a bit of a resurgence.  But I will gladly settle for 6-7 sacks and a 7-8 AV player on a short-term deal.

He also really fits the locker room. There were reports of him taking some of the younger DL players under his wing last year in TB. And that was on a bad team. The guy's a "consummate pro", as his GM said. Would love to have him mentoring some of the younger guys AND helping this team win a Super Bowl the next couple of seasons.

Look at this depth chart at DT:

McCoy

Autry

Hunt

Lewis

Stewart

I don't even really care about the age. They already have guys like Houston and Hunt on the roster...so what's one more? If the Colts have a deep enough group...they can rotate and stay fresh. McCoy helps them do that...and he gives the younger guys time to earn their snaps.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

It was a Nietzche quote about the impossibility of truth. 

Yes its the off season. 

Yes!   Ray Nietzche!    The famous middle linebacker of those great Packers Teams of the 60’s!   A Lombardi favorite!

What?    We’re not talking about him?!?    Really?    

That’s very different. Never mind.:peek:

Mccoy doesn't play Al Woods spot.  Mcoy is a 31 year old 3 Tech.

We've already got Lewis and Autry at that spot.  If you bring anybody

else in it's likely to be a young draft pick versus bringing in the vet. You

might look at bringing Mcoy in if Autry got hurt I think .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

I don't think they expire but once they reach the age of 30 they "are not getting any younger".  Apparently, guys in their 20s still have the capability of getting younger.  

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this statement. That is the attitude of many of this forum.

• Thanks 1

If this was a long term deal, no way. But for a year or two? Hell yes! We have plenty of cap space for this year and next and he's someone that can really be an upgrade.. These are the type of deals the Pats always seem to do and they get quality snaps for a couple years out of their guys.

An aging player with a high cap hit on a team with little cap space is worth no more than a 5th.  As NCF said, a player like that is a big risk to be released so the bucs have little leverage to get anything more.

Sure.  I'd probably spend a 5th for him, but it would have to be on draft day and be based upon not getting any desirable player in rounds 1-4. I wouldn't make that trade before the draft.

19 hours ago, DonnieDarko1023 said:

What it be worth the risk for the Colts to trade for Gerald McCoy?

I think none of his contract next season is  guarantee.....he been a Pro Bowl DT just a couple of years ago and I do believe the Bucs willing to move on.....maybe if the Colts offer like a 3rd rounder 

Thoughts?

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Bucs are in salary cap hell.   If they can’t do a deal,  they may be close to releasing him out right.    

McCoy would be free to sell himself to the team of his choice.   Depending on what his price is, I think the Colts would have some level of interest.  

I think McCoy is a very Ballard-type of player in terms of his locker room and leadership presence.   How much does he have left in the tank is not clear to me.    He might be reborn with us.

He's old and they're in salary cap hell. Make that more like a 7th rounder :)

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:19 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Our dline already has enough guys  in the 30 range. We need young guys. Our dline has some age that isn’t getting younger.

we have a lot of youth on the line as well

AFTER the draft, I imagine there are 4-5 players that we would consider (maybe bringing in 2) based on what came to you in the draft

IMHO...... McCoy would be one, maybe a RB (if we dont draft one), maybe a SS....if we dont draft one.........

Hold them picks!

• Like 2

On 4/16/2019 at 6:08 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Keep in mind that DT's often hit their prime years in their late 20's/early 30's and can usually play at a solid level for another 3 or 4 years.

I'm all for having young developing talent, but I'm also not opposed to bringing in talented players that may still have a lot left in the tank. I'm not sure if McCoy is one of those guys, but post-draft, he may be worth kicking the tires on if he gets released.