Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Something all the big moves have in common

Bell to the Jets

Collins to Skins

Ford to 49ers

Brown to Raiders

OBJ to Browns

None of these teams are contenders.  They have and will be the joke of the league for a long time. Maybe the Browns can make the playoffs in the next few years but they haven’t since 2002. Let’s just pump the brakes a little and see what happens.  

I am am so glad Ballard is disciplined bc these moves are terrible.  The off-season is won after the first few weeks of FA and of course the draft. I’m super excited to see who the Colts pick up.  I never really try to predict signings and draft picks and like the wait and see approach. Once the Colts make a move I research the player to see why they may fit the team. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Bell to the Jets

Collins to Skins

Ford to 49ers

Brown to Raiders

OBJ to Browns

None of these teams are contenders.  They have and will be the joke of the league for a long time. Maybe the Browns can make the playoffs in the next few years but they haven’t since 2002. Let’s just pump the brakes a little and see what happens.  

I am am so glad Ballard is disciplined bc these moves are terrible.  The off-season is won after the first few weeks of FA and of course the draft. I’m super excited to see who the Colts pick up.  I never really try to predict signings and draft picks and like the wait and see approach. Once the Colts make a move I research the player to see why they may fit the team. 

They also have HUGE amounts of guaranteed monies so cap hits to cut IF they don't pan out will be epic.

6 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

I think the Browns have suddenly became AFC contenders. They've put the talent together...let's just see if they play nice together. A lot of ego there, including Baker

They also have years of very good top 5 picks in key positions. Seeing it all come together is definitely the make or break for them.

• Like 1

I'm in agreement with the OP.  Sure these teams will be better.  But you are talking about teams who didn't even make the playoffs last year spending money like they are legit contenders NOW.  

I don't mind a key signing or two to fill some holes, especially if you are going the Ballard route and building from the inside out.  

But dropping a bunch of money and draft capital on OBJ.  I don't think you do that unless you are convinced he's the key piece to getting you over the top.  

Also these teams have rookie QB's so their window is fairly large I would think.  Why spend like your window is only 2 or 3 years. 

4 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Bell to the Jets

Collins to Skins

Ford to 49ers

Brown to Raiders

OBJ to Browns

You omitted Foles to the Jags, which directly affects us. The Jags could very well now be serious contenders not just in division but AFC. The Brownies are also a team that are legitimate playoff threat.

I think team chemistry is really important, Ballard is attempting to build a TEAM. Our team has no stars, nobody has a base salary over 9 million apart from Hilton and Luck, you can't have unproven guys coming in, like let's say Z Smith and get paid 12 mill a year. 

I stand by Ballard, he is an outstanding talent evaluator and will improve this team even further over time. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

You omitted Foles to the Jags, which directly affects us. The Jags could very well now be serious contenders not just in division but AFC. The Brownies are also a team that are legitimate playoff threat.

Meh Foles is a different animal to me.  

Anyone could clearly see that the one thing that was holding the Jags back was quarterback play.  Especially with the defense they had.  I mean they made the AFC Championship game with Blake Bortles 2 years ago.

So if they believe in Foles and want to take a crack while they still have this defense put together it makes sense.  But that's one guy designed to put them over the top.

These other teams, who havn't really made the playoffs in a while are basically trying to rebuild their entire teams via free agency.  I don't think that works.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Foles is a JAG.  

5 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Bell to the Jets

Collins to Skins

Ford to 49ers

Brown to Raiders

OBJ to Browns

If you look , you'll see that most of the playoff teams didn't have much cap room to begin with.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

I think the one thing everyone should examine in OBJ's signing, is he has a rather unique contract. He has an out clause in two years where he can walk away. You pay that kind of draft capital plus a player, pay the money for two years, and hope he does not walk away. Plus, with OBJ if he has a good two years, what are the chances he does not exercise that clause in his contract.

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm in agreement with the OP.  Sure these teams will be better.  But you are talking about teams who didn't even make the playoffs last year spending money like they are legit contenders NOW.  

I don't mind a key signing or two to fill some holes, especially if you are going the Ballard route and building from the inside out.  

But dropping a bunch of money and draft capital on OBJ.  I don't think you do that unless you are convinced he's the key piece to getting you over the top.  

Also these teams have rookie QB's so their window is fairly large I would think.  Why spend like your window is only 2 or 3 years. 

They're trying to absorb as many of the big cap hits as they can while the QB is on a rookie pay scale...  That's why.  

• Like 2

The NYJ beat the Colts last year...just saying. But they are certainly on the rise.

SF has their franchise QB healthy...Colts fans know the impact that can have.  When Jimmy G was the starter at the end of 2017...they looked pretty good. And they have been adding talent since that time.

And CLE is definitely a very talented team who now has a franchise QB in place. They were 5-3 over their last 8 and were actually in playoff contention late.

The Colts were also 4-12 before last season. Teams can turn around very quickly with the right people and players in place. I wouldn't write off those teams. OAK and WAS on the other hand... 

12 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

I think the Browns have suddenly became AFC contenders. They've put the talent together...let's just see if they play nice together. A lot of ego there, including Baker

That's the obstacle.  They need to come together or be just a group where the sum of the parts is less than the whole should have been.

8 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Not saying the Browns AREN’T a contender, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they suddenly were. 

Their FO isn’t the best though. 

Their front office reboot is so much better than any before. John Dorsey tapped into his NFL connections to improve the Browns FO, adding former Green Bay executives Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith.  There are real football people there now.  That's why they went from 1-31 over two years to 7 - 8 - 1 in one season, and poised to be even better in 2019.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

That's the obstacle.  They need to come together or be just a group where the sum of the parts is less than the whole should have been.

Their front office reboot is so much better than any before. John Dorsey tapped into his NFL connections to improve the Browns FO, adding former Green Bay executives Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith.  There are real football people there now.  That's why they went from 1-31 over two years to 7 - 8 - 1 in one season, and poised to be even better in 2019.

I mean, I agree they are better now, but a turd can only be polished so much. 

On 3/13/2019 at 10:20 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The mystique of the Jags D wore off weeks before the end of this past season.  As a Fantasy Football player, I was keen to notice how much they weren't doing.  Taven Bryan's Twitter handle should be @Bustalicious18.  Some of the guys from that D have already moved on to other clubs.

Perhaps this isn't a fair comparison, but this reminds me of when the levee broke in Seattle and became the Legion of Whom?  

We'll see if they can pull it back together this year, but I guess my stance is that they need a whole lot more than Foles to be taken seriously as a contender next year.

Maybe things will change now that the Jags have a new owner... Derek Henry.