Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Statue Or No Statue?

shakedownstreet

138 members have voted

1. 1. will there be a statue?

• yes
    • no

Apples and oranges to my original post. Joe won all his SB's with the 9'ers, and none after he left. IF PM wins a few rings elsewhere........ just sayin

True...but you can't take the Colts out of Manning anymore than you could take the trailer park out of my ex-wife.

i think yes. i have talked to some people who think i am nuts. i think irsay would spearhead it & pay for it if necessary. this city has way too few statues honoring our hometown greats. the fact there is no kurt vonnegut statue is criminal

it would be like a tourist attraction, and add to the interesting sights to see in our beautiful city. any football fan from anywhere knows who peyton is. and most admire him deeply

i think right in front of lucas oil stadium seems most appropriate, but i could also see it near the convention center on the nuetral ground of georgia street. it would be a lot more accessible to foot traffic there

the man brought us our first major league sports championship. and the lombardi is by far the biggest of them all. he built lucas oil stadium (with his bare hands), and the drop dead gorgeous jw marriot hotel and expanded convention center. he brought a super bowl to the city and instilled a great sense of civic pride in our fine citizens. we used to be offended by the term naptown. now we embrace it. that all goes back to peyton. this city has changed for the good forever

of course this won't be appropriate until he actually retires

Well they are leaving Peytons face on the mural outside LOS so wouldn't a statue be redundant?? I still voted for it but had to ask the question.

i still worry peyton won't want it. he's too darn humble, just the opposite of the arrogant unitas

Ask Jamie Ann Naughright about Manning's humility.

Really, I don't get that he's a humble person. And what does humility have to do with being an NFL QB? Quarterbacks are used to being in charge, to being in command. Humility is not something one would crave in a QB. The best ones are arrogant.

Really, I don't get that he's a humble person. And what does humility have to do with being an NFL QB? Quarterbacks are used to being in charge, to being in command. Humility is not something one would crave in a QB. The best ones are arrogant.

That was 16 years ago when he was 20. Come on ... give us a more recent example. And that incident was not about humility or lack of anyway.

But, I also agree he is not humble. He was raised by good parents and has had good public-speaking training. I don't think he's arrogant, either. But very confident and aggressive? - heck yes! :)

there is a fine line between arrogance & humility that few are able to achieve. peyton has both

There is a fine line between the truth and what has been rumored as well.

I may have been the most irrationally ardent "release Peyton" fan on this board, and even I'd be upset if he didn't get a statue. If he's not the best Colt ever (which I strongly think he is), he's clearly the most important (at least if you live in Indiana and not California)

I absolutely say yes! Whoever said no is crazy. Love the idea of Peyton and Marvin though lol. That would be pretty sweet!

Who are the 3% in this poll that said no anyway? Other teams in the AFC South that didn't draft Peyton Manning in the 1st place? I'm just curious.

Absolutely!

I love the Michael Jordan statue outside the United Center.

For sure he has to retire first.

I don't want to put it up too soon and jinx things. I mean maybe he will still come back and be part of our organization in some way.

...and it was like Joe Montana was never a 49er....

Could be like Reggie White isn't remembered as an Eagle...

Realistically, tho... I think it'd be great for PM to win another ring, but it sounds like a lot of posters here are all but handing him several more Lombardis. Even one is FAR from guaranteed, even if he ends up on the perfect team and his arm is better than ever.

Your question is "will there be", and most people are answering "should there be".

I think yes to both, though it needs to be on the grounds of LOS.

I agree, The question "will there be" might be why we are seeing NO votes. I would absolutely be for a statue of Peyton, but will there be? I honestly have no idea.

I think they should build one. Jordan got one....so Manning should as well.

Living in Richmond, Virginia we have a road called monument avenue where no less than 6 statues of great men from Virginia are prominently displayed (including athlete Arthur Ashe).

394px-Mon-AveLee.jpg

Edited by Coltssouth
inappropriate

Apples and oranges to my original post. Joe won all his SB's with the 9'ers, and none after he left. IF PM wins a few rings elsewhere........ just sayin

Pete Rose won a ring with the Phillies yet he will always be known as Red. Peyton will go into the hall of fame as a Colt. Plus I doubt he will stick around long enough with his new team to win mutliple. It will take a year for him to get comfortable with the team and recover his arm strength anyways. Then he only has maybe a 2 year window before his skills diminish due to age. Not saying it couldn't happen but it is unlikely, especially if he goes to Denver or Arizona as they aren't just a missing QB away from contender status.

Plus it's not only about his playing career, but his legacy of what he did for the city.

One of my all time favorite athletes, Mario LeMieux, just got a long overdue statue. It wont take that long for Peyton to get his.

Could be like Reggie White isn't remembered as an Eagle...

Realistically, tho... I think it'd be great for PM to win another ring, but it sounds like a lot of posters here are all but handing him several more Lombardis. Even one is FAR from guaranteed, even if he ends up on the perfect team and his arm is better than ever.

oh sure, i catch myself being a little overboard at times. but it's an emotional time. some of us deal with grief by going overboard with love

Who are the 3% in this poll that said no anyway? Other teams in the AFC South that didn't draft Peyton Manning in the 1st place? I'm just curious.

Maybe some people object to statues in general. Could be a religious belief, or maybe it's just personal preference.