Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign TE Clive Walford

Caleb3502

Hewitt and Swoope returned to practice today but were limited, and Ebron (Back) and Alie-Cox (Calf) did not practice today.  Decent depth signing with our tight ends facing injuries.  Had around 300 yards and 3 TDs per year in 2015 and 2016 with the Raiders.  Only had 9 grabs for 80 yards last year.  Hasn't played at all this year.  

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Is he a good blocker?

http://www.jetsfix.com/scouting-clive-walford/

This article goes over just about everything about Walford's skill set.  Appears to be a good pass blocker in the pass blocking snaps that he had, but isn't the greatest run blocker.  In the article it said that he really can't block on the move but he is decent at setting up the edge in the run play.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Is he a good blocker?

He was coming out of Miami. He was a teammate of Dorsett (and Duke Johnson, and Ereck Flowers, and Denzel Perryman, etc...) I haven't paid too much attention to him since then, except a handful of games. 

Think Dwayne Allen, but not a dominant blocker like DA was back then.

• Like 3

WARNING The highlight below may be difficult for Colts fans to view...

Yards after the catch

Walford showed an ability to run after the catch when at Miami, and flashed those abilities in his rookie year. Here he slips the tackle for a touchdown:

giphy.gif

Yes, TJ Green on the coverage! :Gaah:

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you look two posts above yours,  you will see a PFF graphic saying in 2016 Walford was the #1 blocking TE in the NFL.

Nope. He was #1 in pass block efficiency, albeit on only 33 pb snaps, according to the PFF graphic. It does not account for run blocking or overall blocking ability.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Nope. He was #1 in pass block efficiency, albeit on only 33 pb snaps. Graphic does not account for run block or overall blocking ability.

Correct. Pass blocking efficiency is only determined by comparing the pressures given up to the total number of pass blocking snaps, so it's not the end all be all. It shows that when he has done it, he has done well, but it doesn't necessarily mean he is an amazing blocker.

I'm pretty amped for the signing though. I thought Walford was looking like an up and comer in Oakland. One thing is for sure, our TE room is packed..

46 minutes ago, Douzer said:

WARNING The highlight below may be difficult for Colts fans to view...

Yards after the catch

Walford showed an ability to run after the catch when at Miami, and flashed those abilities in his rookie year. Here he slips the tackle for a touchdown:

giphy.gif

Is that Green taking a POOR angle & whiffing on the tackle rather than wrapping up???  Terrible effort.  That was a nice stop & pivot by Walford but man Green looks atrocious on that play. 

1 hour ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Nope. He was #1 in pass block efficiency, albeit on only 33 pb snaps, according to the PFF graphic. It does not account for run blocking or overall blocking ability.

I have no idea how what I wrote is different than what you wrote....    but whatever...    the man can block.  

Can we we agree on that?

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have no idea how what I wrote is different than what you wrote....    but whatever...    the man can block.  

Can we we agree on that?

Yeah, the posts were pretty much the same.  lol  You seem a bit touchy lately though NCF, you are a good poster I think, just seem pretty easily agitated in the last few, hope everything is well for you, and it's just a coincidence buddy!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

Hewitt and Swoope returned to practice today but were limited, and Ebron (Back) and Alie-Cox (Calf) did not practice today.  Decent depth signing with our tight ends facing injuries.  Had around 300 yards and 3 TDs per year in 2015 and 2016 with the Raiders.  Only had 9 grabs for 80 yards last year.  Hasn't played at all this year.  

Don't like it he stinks cant catch a cold.

11 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Yeah, the posts were pretty much the same.  lol  You seem a bit touchy lately though NCF, you are a good poster I think, just seem pretty easily agitated in the last few, hope everything is well for you, and it's just a coincidence buddy!

Thanks...

I appreciate the kind words and thoughts...

As for me?    Things at my end are....    very difficult.    I'm sorry if you (and others) feel like I'm bringing my personal issues to the website here.    I honestly try not to.     I had some shots taken at me earlier tonight,  and I tried to respond lightly...   check out the Ebron thread and perhaps you'll see a lighter approach.     Or maybe you saw it but didn't like it?    Dunno....    I'm trying...   not always succeeding,  but trying...

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I had some shots taken at me earlier tonight,  and I tried to respond lightly...   check out the Ebron thread and perhaps you'll see a lighter approach.

I noticed that.

What is going on with every thread having to do with Colts TEs?  They're getting TEsTE.  (That's a low-hanging fruit joke)

• Like 1

Strengths

Becoming a very reliable blocker. Is tough enough and physical enough to be a play-side blocking tight end on zone runs. Bends and explodes from hips into his targets and sustains with a good base. Will drive smaller linebackers off the line of scrimmage in run game. Has lined up in-line, slot and as an H-back. Has the physical build and enough quickness to threaten the seam. Turns head and locates the ball quickly. Can make contested catches. Has NFL run-after-catch ability. At home in a physical matchup. Has long arms and big hands.

I guess I got my answer.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

See above. We've already talked about that.

I looked it up, but thank you!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Don't like it he stinks cant catch a cold.

1)  We have Ebron, Alie Cox and Swoope.  This man was not signed to catch the ball.

2)  You are wrong anyways:  in 44 career games he has 70 catches, 722 yards, 6 tds.  He most certainly can catch the ball.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Shive said:

He had 1 drop in 2017 and 4 in 2016.....

So there's a pretty good chance he could even become a pretty good dual threat TE?!? That would be awesome!!

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Translation:  "I don't know anything about him, he must be bad.  Hmph"

tenor.gif?itemid=5901971

Damn no better way to translate that lmao

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

But can he block, though?

7wAl.gif

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

So there's a pretty good chance he could even become a pretty good dual threat TE?!? That would be awesome!!

I mean, he's no athletic freak by any means, but he can catch when his number gets called.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Can we we agree on that?

You said PFF rated him as the number 1 blocker in 2016 and I said no, because they did not. So, what we said was different.

As for if he is a good blocker? I do not know. I sure hope he is.