Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts can be 6th in the playoff race after this weekend (merge)

CR91

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How these people on ESPN say the Ravens have an easy schedule is funny. They still play at KC and at LA. They will lose both those. 

It is also likely that the Colts, Dolphins, Bengals and Titans lose 2 games.

Just now, Myles said:

It is also likely that the Colts, Dolphins, Bengals and Titans lose 2 games.

Ravens also play at Atlanta and the Browns on top of at KC and at LA, they may still lose 3. Bengals will be 5-6 and are in a world of hurt, we control our destiny vs Titans right now. If we win today I love our chances, no reason not too.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2018 at 11:33 AM, CR91 said:

A few things would need to happen though

-Colts win vs the dolphins

-Ravens lose vs the raiders

-Bengals lose vs the browns

Not sure I see the raiders beating the ravens, but I can see the browns getting a win especially if green is out again. 

ravens won.  how does that affect us?  Hopefully they will lose one of their remaining games, but we cannot count on that.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The ravens have the chiefs and chargers left on their schedule 

ok thx, add'l ?, if they have them late in their schedules , is it possible that they (chiefs and chargers) will not be playing for any additional purpose (have playoffs and home field locked up)?  In other words, won't have some of their starters in and ravens will have a great chance to win?

5 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

ok thx, add'l ?, if they have them late in their schedules , is it possible that they (chiefs and chargers) will not be playing for any additional purpose (have playoffs and home field locked up)?  In other words, won't have some of their starters in and ravens will have a great chance to win?

They play the Chiefs in 2 weeks, Chiefs are playing for HFA.

25 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

ravens won.  how does that affect us?  Hopefully they will lose one of their remaining games, but we cannot count on that.

Means if we win, we're only behind the ravens for the final playoff spot

On 11/23/2018 at 9:47 PM, Btown_Colt said:

Sure. But you also said baseball is a "one-on-one sport masquerading as a team sport..." which contradicts the need for the team to perform well in order to have success comment, no?

I don't think so. More on this below.

Last thing, just so I am sure, is your stance that it's easier to achieve better individual stats in baseball than it is football, therefore football is more of a team sport?

I don't know if I'd say it's "easier" to do better individually in baseball. Hitting a baseball is very difficult, it takes a major amount of talent, skill and practice. Same for pitching effectively. And something I find impressive is how accurate infielders are when throwing to first base; the ball is consistently within a three foot radius, even off balance, falling away, avoiding a sliding base runner, etc. Baseball players are very good athletes, highly skilled, and I don't want that to be lost in all of this.

But I do think individual stats in baseball are less reliant on teammates than in football. Obviously baseball players need help from teammates -- pitchers can't get outs without fielders behind them, batters benefit from strong lineups and situations created by other batters/base runners, etc. But the game really boils down to pitcher vs batter. 

You're good. I had long responses to each of your points, but it was getting redundant and you have me second guessing myself for the moment. I am considering this topic in ways I haven't before. I like both sports, but baseball was always my best sport, so I may be a little biased.

It's been a fun convo. I definitely prefer football, so we're probably both biased. But I didn't think my original statement was a judgment, good or bad. I was mostly talking about the nature of the sports and how they differ. That's like saying volleyball is better than tennis because it's a team sport, not an individual sport. That doesn't make one better or worse than the other.

Because of the more one-on-one nature of baseball, it's easier to embrace -- or at least understand -- the shift toward analytics in baseball. The stats stand out more distinctly, the sample sizes are greater, etc. I wasn't saying that this difference makes either sport better or worse.

There are other, more obvious reasons I think football is better than baseball. ;)

12 hours ago, Superman said:

But the game really boils down to pitcher vs batter. 

This is what I was contesting originally. I thought that was being overly simplistic...but the more I have thought about it, I guess I can't deny that it does come down to pitcher vs batter.

12 hours ago, Superman said:

Because of the more one-on-one nature of baseball, it's easier to embrace -- or at least understand -- the shift toward analytics in baseball. The stats stand out more distinctly, the sample sizes are greater, etc. I wasn't saying that this difference makes either sport better or worse.

To the bolded, I never thought you were trying to say that. To the rest of the paragraph, I agree with all of it.  

I have thought about this more the last couple of days then I have in a long time and I have changed my opinion...football is proably the ultimate team sport - that was hard to say.

I still maintain that the baseball is the harder sport that requires more skill and no I don't want to debate it with you either! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I still maintain that the baseball is the harder sport that requires more skill and no I don't want to debate it with you either! 

I might agree with that, to be honest. I haven't really thought it through, but they say the hardest thing to do in pro sports is hit a curve ball. Lots of football players are just big, or just fast, but they aren't particularly good at anything; there can be a gap between talent/gifts and skill in football that doesn't exist in other sports. There are defensive linemen that throw like my three year old niece. 

Along these lines, I think soccer players are incredibly skilled and athletic, but I do not like watching soccer at all. So I don't necessarily have to let my personal opinion/preference regarding the sport blind me to the abilities of the athletes.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Ravens will lose probably next week because if lamar jackson continues to be their qb he won't last long anyway

True, you can’t run a QB 27 times, but the Oakland game was more balanced. For the Ravens to make the playoffs, here is what they have to do. 

At Atlanta Win

At KC probable loss 

TB home Win 

At Chargers probable loss

Browns Home Win 

Assuming you win the two home games that takes you to eight wins. The key is winning at Atlanta that won’t be easy, and splitting with KC or the LA Chargers, very tough. 4-1 puts them at 10-6, 3-2 at 9-7 with a ton of bubble teams. This is not an easy schedule to say the least. 

I would stay with Lamar Jackson the rest of the season. With him, the Ravens running game is electric , and the Ravens always do better running the ball, and playing tough D. Whether  they make the playoffs this year or not , they aren’t paying Flacco 28.5 million next year at age 35. They only lose 8 million in cap cutting him, and have Jackson on a rookie deal for a few years with freed up cap, and a top defense. 

Its too early to tell if Lamar is Geno Smith it Cam Newton at this point. His passing game must get better to compete with top NFL teams. I would stick with him the rest of the season and roll the dice. That six seed is a total crap shoot right now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

True, you can’t run a QB 27 times, but the Oakland game was more balanced. For the Ravens to make the playoffs, here is what they have to do. 

At Atlanta Win

At KC probable loss 

TB home Win 

At Chargers probable loss

Browns Home Win 

Assuming you win the two home games that takes you to eight wins. The key is winning at Atlanta that won’t be easy, and splitting with KC or the LA Chargers, very tough. 4-1 puts them at 10-6, 3-2 at 9-7 with a ton of bubble teams. This is not an easy schedule to say the least. 

I would stay with Lamar Jackson the rest of the season. With him, the Ravens running game is electric , and the Ravens always do better running the ball, and playing tough D. Whether  they make the playoffs this year or not , they aren’t paying Flacco 28.5 million next year at age 35. They only lose 8 million in cap cutting him, and have Jackson on a rookie deal for a few years with freed up cap, and a top defense. 

Its too early to tell if Lamar is Geno Smith it Cam Newton at this point. His passing game must get better to compete with top NFL teams. I would stick with him the rest of the season and roll the dice. That six seed is a total crap shoot right now. 

Uhhh not entirely true he's only throw 1 TD pass in his 2 starts and 3 ints so far and both games he threw for under 200 yards which is not good teams are gonna dare him to throw it now because he's not that type of qb to sit in the pocket and pass

13 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Uhhh not entirely true he's only throw 1 TD pass in his 2 starts and 3 ints so far and both games he threw for under 200 yards which is not good teams are gonna dare him to throw it now because he's not that type of qb to sit in the pocket and pass

Theres no doubt about it that the league will force him to pass more, and if he is to succeed , he must get better. 

That being said , the Ravens are a young , rebuilding team similar to the Colts in many areas. I believe Flacco, Jimmy Smith, Suggs, and Mosely may be gone next year. The D is pretty young, and the offense has been playing three rookies in Jackson , Orlando Brown , and Gus Edwards. I would stick with Lamar the rest of the season with the caveat that you bring in Joe if you get down in a game,  and have to pass. He should be available this week. 

The X factor is Harbaugh is coaching for his job . It’s a really tough QB call, and I think a challenging schedule. A key game will be the Steelers vs. LA Chargers. If the Ravens win and Steelers lose, they are half a game out of the division. 

• Like 1

• Nadine locked this topic
  • Nadine unlocked this topic

Definitely cheering for the Chargers tonight.  We have no chance of catching them.  Our only chance is catching either the Ravens or Steelers, and considering the Steelers play the Pats and Saints, that might be our best shot.