Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Listening To Offers For Freeney

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if we get a first or second round pick ill go for it, anything lower no

Dwight Freeney is probably my favorite defensive player.

But I would take whatever the highest offer for him is, even if it's not a second or first rounder. But the facts of the matter are that he's approaching the end of his career. He's counting 19 million dollars against our cap. He's a free agent next year whom we most likely will not be resigning. If we can get something for him and get rid of that cap hit in the process we're going to be in a much better position to get this rebuilding project started sooner rather than later.

It sucks. But that's the reality that a salary cap presents.

Calling all salary-cap gurus....

We know something needs to be done with his current cap number, but what would some salary-cap scenarios be of an extension/re-do of his contract followed a trade?

I'm assuming the team we trade with would handle the renogotiating of his contract and would likely work that out prior to agreeing to the trade.

I believe if he is cut or traded we would save around 15 million against this years cap. He's a free agent next year so unless we extend him what we do now won't effect next years cap.

I'm assuming the team we trade with would handle the renogotiating of his contract and would likely work that out prior to agreeing to the trade.

I believe if he is cut or traded we would save around 15 million against this years cap. He's a free agent next year so unless we extend him what we do now won't effect next years cap.

Okay... so whether or not we extend his deal makes no difference to his cap hit?

If thats the case.... then as much as I love Dwight, we gotta shop him.

According to the article, Freeney is unwilling to restructure so he is as good as gone.

Restructure or extend? It's his last year so not really a lot to restructure.

But I agree, I'm not expecting him in a colts uniform next season.

Okay... so whether or not we extend his deal makes no difference to his cap hit?

If thats the case.... then as much as I love Dwight, we gotta shop him.

Well no, if we extend the deal with the intent to keep him, it would effect the cap. I'll let UF or FJC handle the details because they understand it much better than I do.

I was talking about extending prior to trading him. If we trade him, new team would handle the extention. I assume at least.

MY DAY HAS COME(is possibly coming)!!!

I have been calling for this in threads as early as July of last year! Being taken out the to woodshed and e-beaten by many on this forum for my views. All of which I have clearly justified, and provided proof for. Mostly which were met by "Hez da best" "3x teamed every play" or other outlandish views, or unsubstaniated claims.

Perhaps now we can have a defense.

According to the article, Freeney is unwilling to restructure so he is as good as gone.

Well I didnt see it happening but if that's the way he's going to be colts have no choice because we can't pay him 19 mil this season better to trade him and get something then have to release him.

Green Bay needs a pass rusher to pair with Clay Matthews.... If they did call I'd ask for the #28 pick

They do. A lot of the fans I know would rather take a shot at Hughes believe it or not. They were slated by many to draft him and some think he can fit better in their D then ours.

And it would be cheaper.

Let's face it.

The world is changing and the same is the Indianapolis Colts as we know it.

I think Pagano will bring in defensive football instead of the offensive high scoring as we were used to with Manning.

But I really don't hope Freeney will be traded or cut, because him and Mathis is the perfect match.

But if it comes down to salary cap issues and he won't restructure his contract, then I hope we will get some good value for him. Nothing but a 1st or high 2nd round pick + additional picks can do it though.

I think Minnesota would be a great fit for him. They already run a similar style of defense that the Colts used to run and their new DC is our former secondary coach so I doubt their defense will be changing a whole lot. That would put Freeney opposite of Jared Allen which would benefit both guys. If we could get a first round pick from someone else then that'd be great but if not, then a 2nd round from Minnesota would be pretty good too.

All in all though this is great news. One thing I remember from Grigson's presser at the Combine was he mentioned how stacked this draft is with talent so naturally you want to try to acquire some additional picks. That part stuck out to me the most because it gave me the impression they would make some deals to try to get some extra picks and trading Freeney is probably the best way to do that. I wish they could have gotten the Mathis deal done sooner though so they could tag and trade Wayne, assuming they're going to part ways with him.

Well it probably sounds like that I need to change my Screen name if it does happened.Not that I will turn on Freeney because I will always keep tabs on him like I will Manning. He will always be one of my all time favorite Colts players of all time. I just want something still Colts related with new or currant players? Anyone knows if people can change their screename or do you have to get a new account? I am not going to do it just yet. Just wait and see what he does

Miami shoudl be his destination if 18 goes there...i mean they are switching a 4 3 front and he fits the bill they already have a talented pass rusher now freeney + manning...super bowl expectations all the way

btw i get it why we do it, his salary cap and maybe he doesnt fit but jesus we already have an insane amount of needs why do we add oone more need? maybe 2 if clarck is also out

jesus!

Miami shoudl be his destination if 18 goes there...i mean they are switching a 4 3 front and he fits the bill they already have a talented pass rusher now freeney + manning...super bowl expectations all the way

btw i get it why we do it, his salary cap and maybe he doesnt fit but jesus we already have an insane amount of needs why do we add oone more need? maybe 2 if clarck is also out

jesus!

Our entire core is heading to Miami it seems.

jesus!

We're gonna have like, 10 picks in this draft already with comp picks

Well it probably sounds like that I need to change my Screen name if it does happened.Not that I will turn on Freeney because I will always keep tabs on him like I will Manning. He will always be one of my all time favorite Colts players of all time. I just want something still Colts related with new or currant players? Anyone knows if people can change their screename or do you have to get a new account? I am not going to do it just yet. Just wait and see what he does

Well, he still rules even if he's not a colt anymore :)

And yeah you can change screen names, not sure how though.

Not sure who the source is but: http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Dwight_Freeney/2115922/colts-engaged-in-dwight-freeney-trade-talks

Impacts: The new Colts regime has heaped praise on Freeney and Robert Mathis, but this news is hardly surprising. Freeney is not only dead-set against converting to outside linebacker in Chuck Pagano's 3-4 scheme, he's also carrying a prohibitive salary cap figure of $19.035 million. While Freeney is on the wrong side of thirty, he should draw plenty of interest from contenders with 4-3 defenses.

We're gonna have like, 10 picks in this draft already with comp picks

sure but its not like we are expecting a 6th rounder to play as good as freeney are we? we may have like 10 picks but we only have one 1st one 2nd and one 3rd. I honestly dont expect a 7th rounder to play as a 1st. i know it happens but its the exception not the rule

So in the same offseason we could possibly lose our best offensive and defensive player?

I know the cap hit is just not acceptable, but the idea of losing Manning and Freeney in the same offseason is just disheartening.

If we move Freeney, that is putting a lot of faith in a guy who routinely did not do much without Freeney and is converting to OLB. It looks like OLB will definitely be need in this draft. We sure as heck cannot go into the season with Hughes as the other OLB.

Freeney should go to an NFC team like the Falcons that need that pass rusher and will give up their 2nd round pick for sure. Do what Polian did with Faulk, send him to an NFC team.

Teams that are one pass rusher short of being SB contenders will give up the most. Falcons, Patriots will be on the top of that list. Other teams with cap room are the Bengals, Bucs, Redskins and Broncos that can take on Freeney's contract.

Hate to say it, if we have to deal Freeney to the Patriots, that would be the most gut wrenching because the Pats are one pass rusher and one elite CB away from their D being close to their early 2000 days, IMO.

Restructure or extend? It's his last year so not really a lot to restructure.

But I agree, I'm not expecting him in a colts uniform next season.

If it is true that he won't redo his deal,then he has to be gone., I love Dwight as well , his salary is way beyond his actual value at this point.