Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aaron Rodgers

Lucky Colts Fan

First of all, I love watching Aaron Rodgers play the game.  He is an amazing QB that makes unbelievable throws on an almost weekly basis.  One of the best to ever do it.

But the defender in me loves seeing him get humbled like the Seahawks did last night.  Maybe it's the fist-pumping and discount double-checks he does after a good play, or how he carries himself a lot of the time, or how he publicly throws people under the bus when they lose, but he comes across as arrogant and over-confident.  Almost smug.  He and his pass-catchers will make a crazy backyard-football play when he has to scramble from the pocket, and then the next play they mess up a routine short throw and he loses his cool.

I like the Packers and Aaron Rodgers, but I get sick satisfaction watching him lose and pout about it.  Am I the only one?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

First of all, I love watching Aaron Rodgers play the game.  He is an amazing QB that makes unbelievable throws on an almost weekly basis.  One of the best to ever do it.

But the defender in me loves seeing him get humbled like the Seahawks did last night.  Maybe it's the fist-pumping and discount double-checks he does after a good play, or how he carries himself a lot of the time, or how he publicly throws people under the bus when they lose, but he comes across as arrogant and over-confident.  Almost smug.  He and his pass-catchers will make a crazy backyard-football play when he has to scramble from the pocket, and then the next play they mess up a routine short throw and he loses his cool.

I like the Packers and Aaron Rodgers, but I get sick satisfaction watching him lose and pout about it.  Am I the only one?

No, you are not the only one.

I feel like Aaron Rodgers is becoming more like Peyton and not taking check downs as much. The Seahawks left their RBs open on the flat several times but this dude has to go 20 yards all the time, he does have this ego/complex that affects his decisions making. Maybe he feels he has to compensate for his injury or justify his new contract, but Mike McCarthy is not helping matters much with his bad time management as well.

I seem to get the feeling that a lot of things are being done to keep Rodgers happy. The Packers will win once that approach is abandoned and Rodgers puts his ego aside and goes the "death by a thousand paper cuts" offense every once in a while like Brady. I have Davante Adams in 2 leagues and benefited from Rodgers' tunnel vision to Adams but if you look at it objectively, that is what I see.

That Brady like quality, I see in one guy right now, and that is Patrick Mahomes. He takes what the D gives him, is not antsy about forcing anything, adapts very quickly, and I think the Chiefs have a great chance to win it all as long as he keeps that attitude. The other guy who adapts very fast is of course Drew Brees, it is almost a given but still has to be brought up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the Packers' coaching has a lot to do with how Rodgers' approaches games. They depend on him to carry the team, and it's affected his play. Things might change in the organization if the Packers miss the playoffs again. 

Seattle did a good job in keeping the ball away from Rodgers at the end. They ate up the clock, so Rodgers didn't have a chance to make a last minute touchdown.  

• Like 2

Hard to believe after this weekend we could have a better record than GB, I didn't picture them being 4-5-1 being led by Aaron Rodgers. They are in a tough division as well. I see Aaron missing the Playoffs. He is still arguably the best QB in the league but he's not winning games right now. Guys like Mahomes, Brees, and even Luck look better right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

No, you are not the only one.

I feel like Aaron Rodgers is becoming more like Peyton and not taking check downs as much. The Seahawks left their RBs open on the flat several times but this dude has to go 20 yards all the time, he does have this ego/complex that affects his decisions making. Maybe he feels he has to compensate for his injury or justify his new contract, but Mike McCarthy is not helping matters much with his bad time management as well.

I seem to get the feeling that a lot of things are being done to keep Rodgers happy. The Packers will win once that approach is abandoned and Rodgers puts his ego aside and goes the "death by a thousand paper cuts" offense every once in a while like Brady. I have Davante Adams in 2 leagues and benefited from Rodgers' tunnel vision to Adams but if you look at it objectively, that is what I see.

Very much this.. He's always looking for the big play instead of taking what the defense gives you. On the first play of their final drive, 4 other receivers were open but he threw long ball to ESB and was way off.. He thinks he can always extend the play and make something magical happen (and pretty often he does) but when it fails, he takes sacks and those can be drive killers and too often there are easy completions that he could've taken.

This isn't just this year thing, he's been doing it for a while. Probably combo of his huge ego/talent/McCarthys outdated WCO/receivers who aren't good at getting separation.

He's also had unusual amount of missed throws (accuracy-wise) this year, like early '15 and '16. But he turned it around on the second half of '16. Hasn't happened so far.

• Like 3

He's not going to be the GOAT in anything but passer rating and TD:INT ratio and he's always been overrated. That pass he missed on 3rd and 2 on that first to last drive was worse than the 1 he missed on the last drive against the Giants in 2011, which was overshadowed by some earlier drops. Had those drops not happened his homers would have dreamed up something else to excuse him from that throw. He's been coddled and made excuses for more than Favre and Peyton combined (relax and don't pretend that last part isn't true...I included my guy in there too because it also happened).

• Like 2

What I see in his body language is he has lost the ability to be a leader.  When things go wrong he pouts and don't stand tall in the huddle. Most of all he don't act like a leader. He's by himself when on the sidelines.  He reminds me of Jeff George and how he distances himself from the rest of the team.

Not only does a QB have to have the talent he also must lead his team especially when things are not going well.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What I see in his body language is he has lost the ability to be a leader.  When things go wrong he pouts and don't stand tall in the huddle. Most of all he don't act like a leader. He's by himself when on the sidelines.  He reminds me of Jeff George and how he distances himself from the rest of the team.

Not only does a QB have to have the talent he also must lead his team especially when things are not going well.

All true. I thought it was only fans of the Vikings, Bears, and Lions who thought that.

Didn't Greg Jennings take a lot of heat for saying that Aaron was not a leader? That was several years ago. 

About a month ago, he said exactly what you wrote (link to video):

Link: Greg Jennings explains how Rodgers body language

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

All true. I thought it was only fans of the Vikings, Bears, and Lions who thought that.

Didn't Greg Jennings take a lot of heat for saying that Aaron was not a leader? That was several years ago. 

Jennings has also talked about Rodgers not being the best teammate:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

IMO Rogers has as much talent as any other QB in the league.  He can do all the things ask of a QB except lead by example. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Aaron Rodgers compared to Jeff George...…..incredible. Are the former Colts GM? Amazing how many psychologists we have here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

Aaron Rodgers compared to Jeff George...…..incredible. Are the former Colts GM? Amazing how many psychologists we have here.

I said reminds.

What's incredible is your ability to read something and then twist it into something else.

Talent wise Jeff George had all that was needed. He may have had the biggest arm in NFL history. Leader wise he was a bust. If that is something you can't comprehend then there is nothing more to say to you.

On 11/16/2018 at 1:43 PM, aaron11 said:

they need to make some smart decisions in the off season to maximize the rest of his career.  hes 35 in December, and the team around him is nothing special including the coaches 

Very true and I think they will make plenty of changes after this season. Besides firing McCarthy I hope they change philosophies by giving the best QB in football some talent on the field and sidelines.

There's no excuse for the Packers not to strongly contend for the Lombardi every year with Rogers as your QB.

• Like 1

Jennings has proved to be a bit of a * himself. He ripped Favre after 2007, then Rodgers when he left there, and seems to be trying to become a sportswriter or something. How'd he do without either Favre or Rodgers throwing to him those couple of years? 

I don't think Rodgers sucks, I just thought crowning him as early as 2008 was assanine. And it was. And it got worse with every excuse and blind eye to every redzone fumble and shutout vs any defense worth a dang.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:58 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I hope they change philosophies

Like the Colts did with Reichs' new system?  It would benefit Rodgers like it's benefited Luck, but Aaron would have to be on board with it and actually execute it correctly.

And like @chad72 pointed out, Rodgers seems to have a tendency to abandon the quick-hit and the check-down to look for the home-run every play, which has been leading to a lot of sacks.

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Since this is an Aaron Rodgers topic. How many in here think he is a Top 10 QB of all-time?

-You have QB's like:

Brady, Montana, Peyton, Unitas, Graham, Elway, Favre, Marino, Staubach, S.Young, Bradshaw, Aikman, - that is 12 right there. Is Brees Top 10?

It's practically impossible to compare players from different era's. He's

Definitely Top 10. And fans smarter than me and more articulate can make a  case he's Best of All Time.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It's practically impossible to compare players from different era's. He's

Definitely Top 10. 

Practically but not literally, especially not in Brees' case. Brees played in the previous era where he stayed hurt and benched. Now he's the inflated stat era king while everybody ignores certain little factoids that have came with it like 3 straight losing seasons, losing a playoff game to a 7-9 team, Bountygate etc.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He isn't even close to Brady or Peyton and that is same era, JMO

53 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Fixed it for you.  :thmup:

Colt fans saying Rogers is great shouldn't feel it's a insult to Peyton.

It's been common talk among sports fans for years that Rogers is maybe the Best todayAND one of the all time greats. I know we are in a live in the moment now world but it's not hard to see his talent.

45 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Colt fans saying Rogers is great shouldn't feel it's a insult to Peyton.

It's been common talk among sports fans for years that Rogers is maybe the Best todayAND one of the all time greats. I know we are in a live in the moment now world but it's not hard to see his talent.

He is Great but so are at least 50 other QB's that have played this game since 1950. What makes Rodgers better than Roger Staubach? Staubach was a better runner and just as good as a passer and he won more SB's. Just an example.

Rodgers falters quite a bit in big matchups. His team is 0-5 on the road this season. Not only that but he hasn’t beaten an above average QB this season. Well, we can say Mitch Trubisky is above average now. But couldn’t have made that proclamation back in week 1. Everything isn’t Rodgers fault. However, he gets too much of a pass most the time

On 11/17/2018 at 1:23 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I once heard a Detroit radio host refer to Rodgers as Jay Cutler with wins.

Ever since that comment I really see the issues you mention when I watch him play.

On 11/19/2018 at 1:08 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Nobody is questioning Rodgers' talent, but there's a huge difference between being the most talented and being the Best.

Manning, Brady and Montana weren't as talented as Rodgers, but trying to mention Rodgers with those guys in a conversation about the Best is a joke.

Rodgers belongs in the conversation for most talented with guys like Marino and Vick.  He needs at least another ring or two before we talk about him like Brady, Manning or Montana, who were real leaders of men.

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

I once heard a Detroit radio host refer to Rodgers as Jay Cutler with wins.

Ever since that comment I really see the issues you mention when I watch him play.

That never entered my mind but I can see why a radio host would say that.

Maybe I am reading too much into Rogers but it seems like he has been chasing the fact he fell so far in the draft and has been trying to prove a point to the world. He did sit longer than most QBs with is talent before getting the starting gig.

I am not doubting his talent level at all, I am just doubting his leadership ability.  Thus the Jeff George reference. For those of us that remember Jeff George he had as much talent as I have ever seen in a QB. But his head wasn't in it. No one liked being around him even when he was winning.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Nobody is questioning Rodgers' talent, but there's a huge difference between being the most talented and being the Best.

Manning, Brady and Montana weren't as talented as Rodgers, but trying to mention Rodgers with those guys in a conversation about the Best is a joke.

Rodgers belongs in the conversation for most talented with guys like Marino and Vick.  He needs at least another ring or two before we talk about him like Brady, Manning or Montana, who were real leaders of men.

Do you like anybody who is NOT EMPLOYED by the Colts?

Why do you think it's a insult to Peyton, Luck or colt fans to admit that Rogers is good?

Your coming across as a EXTREME HOMER and your opinions are extremely biased and somewhat comical. But thats ok because everyone is allowed to have them.

There are lots of other people's veiws that think Rogers is pretty good. I could link many but can only copy one at a time so here's one below.

I doubt I'll link anymore because I'll be wasting my time on the obvious. I also doubt I'll respond to this subject any further.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Why do you think it's a insult to Peyton, Luck or colt fans to admit that Rogers is good?

I admit he might be the most talented QB ever.  I called Rodgers ONE of the best to ever do it in the OP:

On 11/16/2018 at 9:59 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

He is an amazing QB that makes unbelievable throws on an almost weekly basis.  One of the best to ever do it.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Your coming across as a EXTREME HOMER and your opinions are extremely biased and somewhat comical.

And I do admit to being a biased homer.  Nobody will ever convince me that Brady or any other QB is better than Manning.  If someone wants to call another QB the GOAT, that's fine, I'm not going to take it as an insult to Manning, it's just their opinion.

But like I said in the OP, Rodgers seems to have a different attitude.  He isn't the leader that Brady, Manning and Montana were, so it's hard to call him the GOAT.  :dunno:

2 hours ago, Trueman said:

wow , just wow... reading some of these takes.

Rodgers is the most talented QB of all-time. Where you want to rank him is up to you , but if it's outside the top 10 , you have no idea how to evaluate the position.

Not sure where he should be ranked actually. He definitely isn't better than Brady, Montana, Peyton, or Elway though. I can say that just based by my eye test. Watching how those guys lead teams, etc.. I never seen Unitas live but many have him the GOAT actually. 

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure where he should be ranked actually. He definitely isn't better than Brady, Montana, Peyton, or Elway though. I can say that just based by my eye test. Watching how those guys lead teams, etc.. I never seen Unitas live but many have him the GOAT actually. 

Ranking Rodgers ahead of those guys is like ranking like LeBron ahead of Jordan, Magic, and Kareem. Doesn't make sense to me, he needs to win more and be the Leader those guys have been. 

-It's funny how most everyone now days wants to call all of these players GOAT's because they are playing now. They just don't know history when they do that, next thing it will be, Julio Jones or Antonio Brown is better than Jerry Rice lmao from some people because they are playing today. 

2 hours ago, Trueman said:

wow , just wow... reading some of these takes.

Rodgers is the most talented QB of all-time. Where you want to rank him is up to you , but if it's outside the top 10 , you have no idea how to evaluate the position.

I haven't seen anyone question his talent.  Quite the opposite, actually.

But when you start ranking QBs in terms of who is the GOAT, you look at the whole picture.  Rodgers is definitely not the GOAT when it comes to leadership.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I haven't seen anyone question his talent.  Quite the opposite, actually.

But when you start ranking QBs in terms of who is the GOAT, you look at the whole picture.  Rodgers is definitely not the GOAT when it comes to leadership.

Talent wise he is Top 5 of all-time but so is Dan Marino for example.

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Rodgers is definitely not the GOAT when it comes to leadership.

I got news for ya , neither are the guys you mentioned. Just because you win doesn't mean you're a legendary leader of men. That's just what the media pushes. 

6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

you look at the whole picture.

Then look at the whole picture. 

Look at how Rodgers has carried that franchise from Day 1. Look at the rosters , look at the coaching , look at the playoff games that people love to define a QB's actual ability from. 

Or, you can take away all the noise , and just evaluate who plays the position of Quarterback the best. You can study the tape and witness just how absurdly good Rodgers is.