Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts rank #1 in sack average through 8 games.

Happy2BeHere

NFL.com has an article projecting wins for every team in the league. Colts projected with 7.4 wins ranked #19 in the projection.

However, the interesting, and for me very surprising stat is our sack average is the lowest in the league. I can probably vouch for everyone who posts here no one would have placed luck being sacked only 10 times in 8 games and ranked best in the league..we have always been on the well far end of that stat for years. I am quite impressed with that. Kudos to our entire offense for making that improvement. So I’ll ask who deserves most of the credit? Luck himself or the O-Line? Or the backs and tight ends for picking up blocks?

From the article: 

”Current record: 3-5. Projected playoff percentage:27.3. 

The Colts have the league's best third-down offense, converting 52.2 percent of the time on this crucial down. One of the main drivers of their success here -- and when it comes to wins -- is the improved ability of the O-line to keep Andrew Luck upright. Luck has only been sacked 10 times in eight games and is posting the lowest sack average in the league (1.25 sacks per game). Some of this is because of Luck's excellent decision-making, but also note that over the past three games, Luck has been sacked exactly zero times.”

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

NFL.com has an article projecting wins for every team in the league. Colts projected with 7.4 wins ranked #19 in the projection.

However, the interesting, and for me very surprising stat is our sack average is the lowest in the league. I can probably vouch for everyone who posts here no one would have placed luck being sacked only 10 times in 8 games and ranked best in the league..we have always been on the well far end of that stat for years. I am quite impressed with that. Kudos to our entire offense for making that improvement. So I’ll ask who deserves most of the credit? Luck himself or the O-Line? Or the backs and tight ends for picking up blocks?

From the article: 

”Current record: 3-5. Projected playoff percentage:27.3. 

The Colts have the league's best third-down offense, converting 52.2 percent of the time on this crucial down. One of the main drivers of their success here -- and when it comes to wins -- is the improved ability of the O-line to keep Andrew Luck upright. Luck has only been sacked 10 times in eight games and is posting the lowest sack average in the league (1.25 sacks per game). Some of this is because of Luck's excellent decision-making, but also note that over the past three games, Luck has been sacked exactly zero times.”

Very nice stat! It's a combination of Luck getting rid of the ball quicker with the plays designed around him and the O-Line being much better and much more talented. There isn't a weak link on the O-Line now. If it stays healthy, it's elite. Hopefully, this will extend Luck's career 10 more years.

• Like 3

Just watched the coaches film of the Raiders game, focusing on the o-line. They were almost flawless. Luck was partially hurried no more than 3 times. He had oodles of time to throw on all other snaps, and cleverly dodged any mild threat with ease. I think he was hit, or should I say 'bumped', twice if I recall. Maybe thrice.

95% was on the O-line. If I had to pick a winner, I'd say Kelly.  He is a beast.

Now to watch the Bills game......

• Like 3

I tend to think the BIGGEST difference is play-calling.  Especially the short/quick passes and screens.  Luck is rearely standing back there surveying the field.  Creative playcalling and draws have kept defenses more offbalance than past too.

The improved OL has helped, as well as better devisions by Andtew.  But i still think the shorter passing game is the biggest influence.  You only need to look at the number of receptions to TEs and RBs to see it as well.  Luck is getting the ball out quicker, and more often.

in myhumble opinion, of course.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

I tend to think the BIGGEST difference is play-calling.  Especially the short/quick passes and screens.  Luck is rearely standing back there surveying the field.  Creative playcalling and draws have kept defenses more offbalance than past too.

The improved OL has helped, as well as better devisions by Andtew.  But i still think the shorter passing game is the biggest influence.  You only need to look at the number of receptions to TEs and RBs to see it as well.  Luck is getting the ball out quicker, and more often.

Very good points, and probably under-considered by most people.  

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

Just watched the coaches film of the Raiders game, focusing on the o-line. They were almost flawless. Luck was partially hurried no more than 3 times. He had oodles of time to throw on all other snaps, and cleverly dodged any mild threat with ease. I think he was hit, or should I say 'bumped', twice if I recall. Maybe thrice.

95% was on the O-line. If I had to pick a winner, I'd say Kelly.  He is a beast.

Now to watch the Bills game......

Thanks for this input. I'm glad you mentioned Kelly. I love Nelson and Smith, but it's good to see Kelly getting some love. When Healthy I think he's a great center. 

1 hour ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

So our great O-line have made our WR's better? 

Are we first in the NFL with dropped passes?

Here we go again. You are starting to sound like a broken record. Probably because your forecast of 2-3 wins is looking a bit shaky. 

Since our current o-line has been together, or drops have reduced quite a bit. Good observation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Myles said:

I find it amazing that every GM doesn't realize that a good O-line mAkes every position better.

Truly is, but my guess is they figure OL talent won't sell as many seats in the stadium, so they go for the big $$$ type of players in the hopes that things will eventually fall in to place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

So our great O-line have made our WR's better? 

Yes.   A good O-line does make WR's better.   They have more time to get separation.   A good O-line makes EVERY position better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Myles said:

I find it amazing that every GM doesn't realize that a good O-line mAkes every position better.

And fan....I wouldn't to band my head against the wall at all the draft a skill position crap. 

While an an elite skill position player helps. He can't do crap if they can block for him to get the ball. 

Same with defense. The lines make everyone better! It all starts in the trenches

• Like 2

2 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Here we go again. You are starting to sound like a broken record. Probably because your forecast of 2-3 wins is looking a bit shaky. 

Since our current o-line has been together, or drops have reduced quite a bit. Good observation.

Im glad my 2-3 more wins forecast is becoming a bit shaky, Im just not sold quite yet, ion how good this team actually is. The Wins over the Bills and Raiders is very positive and hopefully something we can build from.

But when that is said, I want to see the team take a win or two against the Jags, Texans and /or Titans, before Im totally sold.

Yes we have been hanging in there in most of the games this year, but havn't been able to close those games, among other things due to dropped passes from our WR´s.

I like where this team is headed and the different stats and rankings are more positive than in a long time for a colts team that have ranked in the bottom of a lot of rankings and stats the last couple of years. So yes, Im excited to see that the new schemes and transition from one defensive scheme to another is panning out. 

BUT Im not entirely sold yet, wins over the Bills and Raiders, who are among the worst teams in the league, well, a win is a win, but I would just like mus to win against/ over a better team, which we havn't been able to do this season, besides the Redskins game. 

I'll say that a win over the Jags in Jacksonville would make me much more sold on this team, than I am right now. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

And fan....I wouldn't to band my head against the wall at all the draft a skill position crap. 

While an an elite skill position player helps. He can't do crap if they can block for him to get the ball. 

Same with defense. The lines make everyone better! It all starts in the trenches

Eli would have been dumped before now without those SB wins that Never would have happened without that defensive front 4.

• Thanks 1

I think the vast majority of fans know we have a fair bit to go, but always looking for a negative in a positive theme gets old very quickly.

I believe if you have a positive message, but finish it of with a 'however', you are better not saying it in the first place.

Every game doesn't need to be about the long term. Take each game and enjoy the good moments we have without smearing those moments with doubts and negativity.

Watching the O-Line vs the Raiders was as good as you get to perfection for that particular skill. No need to worry about what happens next, leave that to the coaches to worry about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Im glad my 2-3 more wins forecast is becoming a bit shaky, Im just not sold quite yet, ion how good this team actually is. The Wins over the Bills and Raiders is very positive and hopefully something we can build from.

But when that is said, I want to see the team take a win or two against the Jags, Texans and /or Titans, before Im totally sold.

Yes we have been hanging in there in most of the games this year, but havn't been able to close those games, among other things due to dropped passes from our WR´s.

I like where this team is headed and the different stats and rankings are more positive than in a long time for a colts team that have ranked in the bottom of a lot of rankings and stats the last couple of years. So yes, Im excited to see that the new schemes and transition from one defensive scheme to another is panning out. 

BUT Im not entirely sold yet, wins over the Bills and Raiders, who are among the worst teams in the league, well, a win is a win, but I would just like mus to win against/ over a better team, which we havn't been able to do this season, besides the Redskins game. 

I'll say that a win over the Jags in Jacksonville would make me much more sold on this team, than I am right now. 

Quit a stretch to say you see the defensive scheme panning out??
  And of course not winning doesn't mean we are not improving. 
  Just 3 games with this o-line and Mack, and it is showing something Special.
   But all would agree, we look forward to seeing what the next 4 games bring.
 Continuous improvment looks likely.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

I think the vast majority of fans know we have a fair bit to go, but always looking for a negative in a positive theme gets old very quickly.

I believe if you have a positive message, but finish it of with a 'however', you are better not saying it in the first place.

Every game doesn't need to be about the long term. Take each game and enjoy the good moments we have without smearing those moments with doubts and negativity.

Watching the O-Line vs the Raiders was as good as you get to perfection for that particular skill. No need to worry about what happens next, leave that to the coaches to worry about.

I completely agree with you.

however.......;)

7 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Why Jacksonville?

18 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Well, they're ranked 29th in the league in yards-per-pass, at just 6.4 yards-per-pass. They only way you drop that low is by ultra quick/short dinky/dunky passes, which has pretty much been their M.O., especially earlier in the season. So yes, the low sack percentage is largely the result of play-calling/scheme. This is not to discount the improved execution of the O-line.

2 hours ago, masterlock said:

Well, they're ranked 29th in the league in yards-per-pass, at just 6.4 yards-per-pass. They only way you drop that low is by ultra quick/short dinky/dunky passes, which has pretty much been their M.O., especially earlier in the season. So yes, the low sack percentage is largely the result of play-calling/scheme. This is not to discount the improved execution of the O-line.

Isnt that what i said?

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Is that why he won two super bowl MVPs?

Yeah, kinda.

Don't get me wrong, he made some of the most memorable throws in Super Bowl history.  But when it comes to Super Bowl MVP, and it comes down to a group of 4 defensive linemen vs the QB...

They're going QB every time.  Just look at some of Tom Bradys' SB MVPs... those could have easily gone to his defense, special teams, or even his WR (Branch)... but it is almost always the QB.  It kinda has to be a weird set of circumstances for it to NOT be the QB of the winning team.

:dunno:

7 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Yeah, kinda.

Don't get me wrong, he made some of the most memorable throws in Super Bowl history.  But when it comes to Super Bowl MVP, and it comes down to a group of 4 defensive linemen vs the QB...

They're going QB every time.  Just look at some of Tom Bradys' SB MVPs... those could have easily gone to his defense, special teams, or even his WR (Branch)... but it is almost always the QB.  It kinda has to be a weird set of circumstances for it to NOT be the QB of the winning team.

:dunno:

But that has zero to do with New York's defensive front four as suggested by throwing BBZ

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

But that has zero to do with New York's defensive front four as suggested by throwing BBZ

Well, as @throwing BBZ suggested, Eli would not have won those two SBs without the front-4 putting enough pressure on Brady to WIN those games.

If the Pats had won those games, we'd be talking about Tom Bradys' (unheard-of) SIX SB MVPs... and we'd never hear the end of 19-0... thank ya jeebus!

4 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Why Jacksonville?

Well, though their defence isn't as good as last season, they still have a good defence, and I would say they are a QB away from being a contender to the superbowl.

The Bills and Raiders are miles away, so I would say a win in Jacksonville would give this Colts team a bit more confidence than wins over the other two mentioned teams. 

But again, thats only my own opinion. 

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Well, as @throwing BBZ suggested, Eli would not have won those two SBs without the front-4 putting enough pressure on Brady to WIN those games.

If the Pats had won those games, we'd be talking about Tom Bradys' (unheard-of) SIX SB MVPs... and we'd never hear the end of 19-0... thank ya jeebus!

Discounting and ignoring Eli during his super bowl years serves what purpose for you?

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Discounting and ignoring Eli during his super bowl years serves what purpose for you?

I know you saw my first post in this thread because I quoted you in it.

In that post I said:

26 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Don't get me wrong, he made some of the most memorable throws in Super Bowl history.

And I am forever thankful to Eli for beating the Pats not once, but TWICE in the Super Bowl.  Peyton was never able to do that since he stayed in the AFC, but having another Manning in the NFC that put Brady in his place not once, but TWICE is not lost on me.

I am NOT discounting Eli in ANY way.  I am saying that his front-4 on defense allowed his TEAM to win the game, which allowed HIM to get the MVP because he was the QB.

The QB ALWAYS gets the nod for MVP of the SB.  That is my only point.

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

In that post I said:

And I am forever thankful to Eli for beating the Pats not once, but TWICE in the Super Bowl.  Peyton was never able to do that since he stayed in the AFC, but having another Manning in the NFC that put Brady in his place not once, but TWICE is not lost on me.

I am NOT discounting Eli in ANY way.  I am saying that his front-4 on defense allowed his TEAM to win the game, which allowed HIM to get the MVP because he was the QB.

What QB has ever won a super bowl without good teams around them?

The thing is it wasn't New York's defensive front four that made Eli break away from a certain loss and hit the game winning throws? 

3 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Well, though their defence isn't as good as last season, they still have a good defence, and I would say they are a QB away from being a contender to the superbowl.

The Bills and Raiders are miles away, so I would say a win in Jacksonville would give this Colts team a bit more confidence than wins over the other two mentioned teams. 

But again, thats only my own opinion. 

You know the Colts and Jaguars have the same record? The best thing they have done this year is beat the Pats. Other than that they look horrible. They barley beat the Giants week 1. The offense didn’t score 1 point in the entire second half. If it wasn’t for a tipped passed that turned into a pick 6, the Giants win that game.

The Jaguars are in a downward spiral, beating them right now isn’t any better than beating the Bills or Raiders. They have been blown out by the Chiefs, Cowboys and Texans...and soon to be the Colts. That defense doesn’t scare me they way the Colts O has been playing. 

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

In that post I said:

No problem. As always when teams win the QB gets the praise and when they lose they get the blame. 

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What QB has ever won a super bowl without good teams around them?

The thing is it wasn't New York's defensive front four that made Eli break away from a certain loss and hit the game winning throws? 

None.  Any and every QB needs a complete team around them if they want to win a championship.  I'm not denying that Eli made his own breaks in those Super Bowls, I'm just saying that his DLine stopped Brady and held the Pats to 14 pts, and then 17.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No problem. As always when teams win the QB gets the praise and when they lose they get the blame. 

My point is that Eli gets the nod because he WON, but if the Pats had WON, we'd be talking about Tom Brady and his SIX SB MVPs.

If Richard Seymour gets that sack...  if Dont'e Hightower gets that sack...

Eli is a punching bag and Tom Brady has a bullet-proof waltz into Canton.

Thank God for Miracles.