Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Dreaded Drops!!!

DaveA1102

I was re-watching the game last night on Gamepass and when I saw Inman's great catch in the first half over the middle, something sprung into my head.......aren't we supposed to be terrible at catching?!?! :headspin:

Three weeks ago this forum was erupting with people complaining about drops, and quite rightly for the most part.  Now, whether it has been with the the return of Doyle and Hilton, coaching work or a combination of many factors but, in the last two games, I don't recall any more than three drops in total (Mack had one Sunday and I think Ebron had one last week).

My main point here is, let's not overreact to short term issues, especially with the coaching staff we have.  We appear to be able to take issues identified (lack of run game, drops, etc) and then make adjustments and use the tape as teaching opportunities and make it better. 

The only thing that remains an issue continuously is pass rush, but I think that will be a case of a talent infusion required (potentially Lewis back from IR will make an impact).

Let's keep things positive and use perspective on where we have come from and where we are headed.

Go Colts!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I was re-watching the game last night on Gamepass and when I saw Inman's great catch in the first half over the middle, something sprung into my head.......aren't we supposed to be terrible at catching?!?! :headspin:

Three weeks ago this forum was erupting with people complaining about drops, and quite rightly for the most part.  Now, whether it has been with the the return of Doyle and Hilton, coaching work or a combination of many factors but, in the last two games, I don't recall any more than three drops in total (Mack had one Sunday and I think Ebron had one last week).

My main point here is, let's not overreact to short term issues, especially with the coaching staff we have.  We appear to be able to take issues identified (lack of run game, drops, etc) and then make adjustments and use the tape as teaching opportunities and make it better. 

The only thing that remains an issue continuously is pass rush, but I think that will be a case of a talent infusion required (potentially Lewis back from IR will make an impact).

Let's keep things positive and use perspective on where we have come from and where we are headed.

Go Colts!

great post, although not to be contrary reason there was hardly any drops was that we didn't throw anything to Rogers or Johnson ;-)

i wouldn't call the drops a "temporary issue" the fact remains that the majority of the drops were our 2nd, 3rd and 4th string receivers, before we grabbed Inman.

Rogers, Pascal, and Grant all had some big drops. Even our more reliable guys like Doyle and Ebron seemed to be dropping balls. It's just due to the simple fact that our depth at the WR position is absolutely attrocious.

3 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

i wouldn't call the drops a "temporary issue" the fact remains that the majority of the drops were our 2nd, 3rd and 4th string receivers, before we grabbed Inman.

Rogers, Pascal, and Grant all had some big drops. Even our more reliable guys like Doyle and Ebron seemed to be dropping balls. It's just due to the simple fact that our depth at the WR position is absolutely attrocious.

If you are talking about those 3 specific players then I would say it definitely is a "temporary issue" as I would be surprised if those 3 make the roster next year based on current form.

Ebron came to us with the reputation for drops and I don't think anyone here can pretend he has been anything but a great acquisition.

You may have to remind me of Doyle's drops?  I remember his costly fumble in (I think) the Bengals game, but aside from that he has been injured.

Just now, aaron11 said:

not sure what you guys expect to hear when the team is losing 

My point is that, although the drops were an issue, and it was fine to point it out, many posters were blowing it way out of proportion when it was a very fixable issue.

We can make complaints and moan, but we also can look at the bigger picture and see how far we have come from the team towards the end of the Pagano/Grigson era.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

My point is that, although the drops were an issue, and it was fine to point it out, many posters were blowing it way out of proportion when it was a very fixable issue.

We can make complaints and moan, but we also can look at the bigger picture and see how far we have come from the team towards the end of the Pagano/Grigson era.

I don't think there is anything wrong with people voicing their frustration about the dropped passes issue the team had.   Sure it can (and looks to) be fixed, but until it was, moaning and groaning about an issue is what fans do.   At one point the team had 15 drops in 3 games.   That was an issue that needed addressed.   Thankfully it appears that it has been, at least temporarily, resolved.  

image.png.a7aa478e7535cef6f33878ae0489ce14.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

If you are talking about those 3 specific players then I would say it definitely is a "temporary issue" as I would be surprised if those 3 make the roster next year based on current form.

Ebron came to us with the reputation for drops and I don't think anyone here can pretend he has been anything but a great acquisition.

You may have to remind me of Doyle's drops?  I remember his costly fumble in (I think) the Bengals game, but aside from that he has been injured.

I see what you mean. Me and you just have a different perception of what "temporary" is. If temporary is this season than yes, once those guys are gone and replaced with more reliable WRs the problem should be solved. I was thinking more just about this season. 

About Jack there was a couple i believe i can't remember exactly but yes i was mainly referring to the drop/fumble that cost us the game.

• Like 1

Lol what is this topic? The Colts are winning so now we just act like everyone overreacted and none of the problems plaguing the team were real? This is the part of winning I hate. Everyone just acts like everything is okay and nothing was that serious.

The Colts WRs do drop balls. The difference now is that they’re getting less opportunities. Number 1 because we have a balanced offense now that we’ve been running the ball. The other because they’ve likely had their snaps reduced due to their poor performance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

Go Colts!

Two points...

1.   I dont think it was a short term issue...   I think it mostly haunted the Colts for roughly the first six weeks or so.

2.   I don’t think it was a over-reaction.   There was no way — none — to know that the problem would abruptly stop.   How predicted that?    No one.

Dont get my wrong, clearly I’m happy the problem has lessened.   But I think the concerns were real and justified.  

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Lol what is this topic? The Colts are winning so now we just act like everyone overreacted and none of the problems plaguing the team were real? 

Is that what the OP said?  Can you quote where he said that the problems weren't real?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Two points...

1.   I dont think it was a short term issue...   I think it mostly haunted the Colts for roughly the first six weeks or so.

2.   I don’t think it was a over-reaction.   There was no way — none — to know that the problem would abruptly stop.   How predicted that?    No one.

Dont get my wrong, clearly I’m happy the problem has lessened.   But I think the concerns were real and justified.  

It wasn't a major issue over all 6 of those games.  ESPN stats had the Colts lead the league in drops after 6 weeks with 15, 13 of which came over 3 games (Weeks 4-6).  

The fact that it was such a ridiculous number and it applied to seemingly all of our skill players and not just one or two guys always dropping meant that, statistically speaking, it would always regress to the mean. 

The players we had didn't all suddenly become "droppers", it was clearly a mental thing for these players and, as has happened, once the catches started happening, the normal process would return.

Even Frank Reich said there is nothing that can be specifically done to sort this, just time on the jugs machine and confidence can fix it.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Two points...

There was definitely overreaction..from the same handful of posters that overreact to EVERYTHING negative that happens.

48 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with people voicing their frustration about the dropped passes issue the team had.   Sure it can (and looks to) be fixed, but until it was, moaning and groaning about an issue is what fans do.   At one point the team had 15 drops in 3 games.   That was an issue that needed addressed.   Thankfully it appears that it has been, at least temporarily, resolved.  

image.png.a7aa478e7535cef6f33878ae0489ce14.png

Neither does the OP.  Or at least if he does, he didn't say so.  He very clearly was talking about people who were overreacting...people like those who were calling for Hines to be cut after the 2nd preseason game.  People who were calling for Reich and/or Eberflus to be fired after the first few weeks of the season.  Those kind of people are the ones the OP was directed to.  

• Like 2

Darn them young, inexperienced, nervous under the pressure players.

Woe is Us. Why Us. Ballard screwed up, his coaches ain't no good. 
Sign Dez. Trade for Amari. We need help Now! We have given up. This is Awful.

The last 5 games we have scored 34,24,34,37,42.  WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!     Oh yee of little faith.

The more times we pass, the better the chances that some will be dropped.  Lately, we've passed less and the drops have dropped...no pun intended.

I also think it was just young, inexperienced players that maybe tried too hard sometimes.  Even HOF receivers dropped passes.  These guys are human and will make mistakes.  I truly believe they have all been working extra time in practice on this.

We have also had some great catches this season!  Our tight ends are going up in the air and snagging passes for touchdowns.

Drops are more noticeable if they come at crucial times, and unfortunately, that happened earlier in the season.

• Like 1

The drops clearly cost us the game vs Philly, & at the very least changed the complexion of the Jets & Patriots games (the Jets got a free TD on the opening drive due to a drop). All 3 of those games resulted in losses.

While the issue does seem to be fixed now that TY & Doyle are back out on the field, it was an issue that was causing us to lose what would've otherwise been very winnable games, & I have no issue with people getting upset about it. We could be sitting at 6-2 or 5-3 right now, but instead we're 3-5, & drops were a HUGE culprit in that 3 game swing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2