Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard Honored

Barry Sears

24 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

I rarely comment on draft picks, as I don't watch college football and therefore don't have the knowledge to contribute. Also, if you do make your opinions known and get it wrong, some smartie pants will find what you said, humiliate you and infer you are a buffoon.

I think I blasted you on the forum that Blueshoe wrote on and a mod erased all the arguments, but that wasn't because you were wrong or anything, it was because you said you trusted whatever Ballard did and you would go along with it I believe. That kinda ticked me off as I didn't like that you didn't have a definite opinion one way or the other. 

I apologize for blasting you on that. I never blast anyone for an opinion one way or another on a draft pick, it just rubbed me the wrong way when you said you would go with Ballard's opinion, and I apologize for taking my frustrations out on you in that instance.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

wasn't my intention.

I've only ever truly blasted a draft pick twice, Dorsett and Green. only because they were taken several rounds higher than they should have been.

Yeah...sure. You "only" ever blasted the two worst recent picks (which have been proven to be bad picks). :sarcasm:

I will say this...I do my fair share of blasting and praising picks. It's very easy to get it wrong. But often, my beef usually goes back to where a player was drafted...especially when it causes them to miss out on other players (that I feel are more talented or better value). There has only been a few that I flat out disliked drafting at all (Werner, Dorsett, Green, Morrison, Wilson).

I will happily eat crow when I am wrong though. That is the case with Leonard (even if he never plays another snap)...he's a much much better value than I thought (and better talent). I like to think (most) reasonable people change their minds when new information is presented to them.

But not really a fan of the constant digging up of old posts every time a player does something good.  That seems like a can of worms that should stay closed...especially cause it could be applied to when people were right as well. And I am sure we have all been right and wrong about many things.

I don't know...that's just me.

I quote people's comments all the time in a list quote, but I put them in a word doc and transfer them to protect the innocent (sorry.....TV quote there).

For those who continually complain about getting "jumped on" for their "opinion", I will again offer a solution...

"I don't think Leonard was a good pick and there was so and so player available that I would have taken"

That quote doesn't likely get "jumped on", or whatever that means. 

"Stupid pick. Grigson all over again" likely gets jumped on. If you can't see the difference, I have nothing else to offer. 

He needs his core draft picks to be the leaders THIS YEAR. You can see the young guys already who are taking ownership of this team, playing hard and wanting to win. This is THEIR team. Also this is Lucks team.  He will looked at as more of a leader than when he was the young gun.  It makes perfect sense to me.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think I blasted you on the forum that Blueshoe wrote on and a mod erased all the arguments, but that wasn't because you were wrong or anything, it was because you said you trusted whatever Ballard did and you would go along with it I believe. That kinda ticked me off as I didn't like that you didn't have a definite opinion one way or the other. 

I apologize for blasting you on that. I never blast anyone for an opinion one way or another on a draft pick, it just rubbed me the wrong way when you said you would go with Ballard's opinion, and I apologize for taking my frustrations out on you in that instance.

No sweat JC. I'm a big boy. I have lots of opinions on stuff, at least where I think I have some knowledge or background info to fall back on. I have no clue on the draft, other than perhaps the postions of priority etc., therefore my stance of trusting CB rather my own ignorant and blind viewpoint.

Certainly no need to apologise......

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...sure. You "only" ever blasted the two worst recent picks (which have been proven to be bad picks). :sarcasm:

I will say this...I do my fair share of blasting and praising picks. It's very easy to get it wrong. But often, my beef usually goes back to where a player was drafted...especially when it causes them to miss out on other players (that I feel are more talented or better value). There has only been a few that I flat out disliked drafting at all (Werner, Dorsett, Green, Morrison, Wilson).

I will happily eat crow when I am wrong though. That is the case with Leonard (even if he never plays another snap)...he's a much much better value than I thought (and better talent). I like to think (most) reasonable people change their minds when new information is presented to them.

But not really a fan of the constant digging up of old posts every time a player does something good.  That seems like a can of worms that should stay closed...especially cause it could be applied to when people were right as well. And I am sure we have all been right and wrong about many things.

I don't know...that's just me.

usually i dont know 99% of the names being called anyway so its easy to not blast a pick haha.

@csmopar I was definitely wrong with my statement of thinking there was better talent available off the simple fact that I saw better play from other players in college and never heard of that guy DL..If my memory serves me correctly I’m sure a lot of Colts fans felt the same. Without question I was wrong but what do you get out of posting everyone who had questions about the pick? Also do you always post when people are wrong in the forum? That’s a lot of work and time.. #ColtsNation

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

cant really compare stats from will linebacker and a 3-4 olb.  the will should have more tackles every time.  leonards sacks have been impressive, but hes been unblocked on blitzes using great speed to close the gap

Unblocked......aka he used his instincts and surprised the oline and QB with a timely (delayed) blitz. Give credit where credit is due. As an OLB in a 3-4 he'd probably be just as productive - minus all the tackles though.

The better argument may be that Chubb is transitioning from DE to OLB and learning on the fly - but, he still has not got the bend that Leonard or Turay does around the edge.

No doubt Chubb will figure it out and be a productive edge rusher but both of our young guys are currently outperforming him.

I for one am ecstatic with the trade back, selecting a potential pro bowler on the oline in Nelson and then adding two difference makers on defense in Leonard and Turay. That's not even counting 2019's 2nd Round pick nor Reece Fountain who's on the PS.

All based off of trading out of the spot to draft Chubb.

So to recap, instead of Chubb (one player) we landed Nelson, Leonard, Turay, Fountain and a 2019 2nd Round Pick. I would make this move everyday of the week and twice on Sunday!

• Like 1

On behalf of crow eaters everywhere, someone posted a 

highlight video of Leanard that wasn't very impressive.

It must have been from his freshman or sophomore year

or something because he didn't stand out on the field at all.

The guy is playing like a top 5 pick and couldn't be more happy.

I would like another serving of black feathered bird if Hines

keeps up his play.

59 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Unblocked......aka he used his instincts and surprised the oline and QB with a timely (delayed) blitz. Give credit where credit is due. As an OLB in a 3-4 he'd probably be just as productive - minus all the tackles though.

The better argument may be that Chubb is transitioning from DE to OLB and learning on the fly - but, he still has not got the bend that Leonard or Turay does around the edge.

No doubt Chubb will figure it out and be a productive edge rusher but both of our young guys are currently outperforming him.

I for one am ecstatic with the trade back, selecting a potential pro bowler on the oline in Nelson and then adding two difference makers on defense in Leonard and Turay. That's not even counting 2019's 2nd Round pick nor Reece Fountain who's on the PS.

So to recap, instead of Chubb (one player) we landed Nelson, Leonard, Turay, Fountain and a 2019 2nd Round Pick. I would make this move everyday of the week and twice on Sunday!

I don't think anyone prefers Chubb over that trade. There was no Khalil Mack or Von Miller in this draft.

That said, the trade back is actually Nelson, Smith, Turay, Wilkins and a 2nd round pick next year.

43 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

On behalf of crow eaters everywhere, someone posted a 

highlight video of Leanard that wasn't very impressive.

It must have been from his freshman or sophomore year

or something because he didn't stand out on the field at all.

The guy is playing like a top 5 pick and couldn't be more happy.

I would like another serving of black feathered bird if Hines

keeps up his play.

He was a MEAC player. Not an exactly a consistent producer of NFL talent. Since 2000, there have been 33 players drafted from the MEAC (less than two per year)...and only 5 of them have been picked in the 2nd round. Leonard is actually the hightest picked player from the MEAC during this time...and the first 2nd round pick since in more than a decade.

Skepticism was definitely fair. A conference that hadn't produced a 1st-2nd round pick in more than a decade...and the Colts are drafting one at the top of the 2nd round?

But if you look at those 2nd rounders, the list include Rashean Mathis, Nick Collins and Justin Durant. Those are some special playres...and it is looking like Leonard could be the next one.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

https://www.colts.com/news/darius-leonard-named-nfl-s-defensive-rookie-of-the-month

Happy for the guy and I expect he will win lots more awards during his career...he's the real deal

Since the last defensive rookie of the month we had was Freeney, this is very good outlook for Leonards career if his stats wasn't enough

57 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He was a MEAC player. Not an exactly a consistent producer of NFL talent. Since 2000, there have been 33 players drafted from the MEAC (less than two per year)...and only 5 of them have been picked in the 2nd round. Leonard is actually the hightest picked player from the MEAC during this time...and the first 2nd round pick since in more than a decade.

Skepticism was definitely fair. A conference that hadn't produced a 1st-2nd round pick in more than a decade...and the Colts are drafting one at the top of the 2nd round?

But if you look at those 2nd rounders, the list include Rashean Mathis, Nick Collins and Justin Durant. Those are some special playres...and it is looking like Leonard could be the next one.  

Knowledgeable info. Nice post.

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

leonard was taken with the colts own second round pick, he wasnt part of that trade

8 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

Wasn't Bradley Chubb supposed to have been the best defensive player in the draft?  Hmmm...his output through Week 4:

Games: 4

Games started: 4

Total tackles: 10

Total sacks: 1.5

Forced fumbles: 0

Fumbles recovered: 0

That's a nice first half of one game for Leonard.

I was wrong and happy to admit it.  I wanted Chubb BADLY.  This isn't to say Chubb won't be a good player, but Leonard has a chance to be special IMHO.  I do still believe this team would be better with a good DE and I hope we get one this off-season either via the draft or FA.

I am very glad to have Leonard on the Colts...so glad, I was disappointed he missed tonight. I WAS unhappy at the time with the Smith pick, but even he seemed to do good tonight. Add in Nelson, the RBs, and Turay, and the draft class looks real promising.