Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mohomes

AZColt11

Mahomes is amazing. The way he avoids pressure, can scramble, and throws with such accuracy reminds me of what we thought Luck would be when we drafted him in 2012. Not to mention his rocket arm as well. He doesn't force the ball, and makes great decisions every play. He's a coaches dream at 23 years old. 

Not sure if we can call him the best QB in the league right now, but he's the best young QB in the league with Jared Goff, and I see him taking the Chiefs to multiple SB's if he continues to play like this.

• Like 1

He is Brett Favre II, if he can stay healthy running around like that. Chiefs' D however will keep them from hitting their ceiling. A team like the Patriots or Ravens that knows to play just enough good D to limit Mahomes, and play ball control on offense can get the better of him. 

That Cover 2 beater to DT, Brady or Peyton or most good QBs make it, even Flacco and Big Ben. Case Keenum should have thrown that TD to DT to seal the game, he just gets frantic under pressure that he does not see his RB in the flats for dump offs, and loses accuracy considerably under pressure.

• Like 1

It's somewhat like the accuracy of Rodgers, and the arm of Marino, backed by the crazy backyard inventiveness of Favre.

He sat for 1 year with/under Andy Reid, so he was groomed well.  But at some point all, repeat all, young QB's will have their ups and downs.  But I like how QB's (especially non 4 year college starters) perform after sitting a season or two in the NFL.  Also, the NFL has adopted a few spread offense concepts to aid the new crew.  2018 is a record offensive year so far in a majority of categories.

He'll have ups and downs. It will be ugly at it's worst. But he's good. I wouldn't fire Reid if they lose a playoff game or 2 in the years to come either. And I wouldn't buy into that achilles heel garbage that Favre and Manning ran into with the Cowboys and Pats if that were to happen. He's already a very good quarterback who could be the best 1 day.

56 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Without the picks

True, I noticed that even on a 2nd and 30, he did not force it and placed his ball so that his WR had to come forward to grab it minimizing the chances of an INT, and lived another day for a 3rd and 7 that he converted. Such decision making under pressure cannot be taught.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

I feel like somebody wants me to say something so here goes Brett Favre had 1 INT through his first 4 games. 

And that INT was a pick-6 and it was his first pass in an NFL game. Just like Darnold.

I actually wasn't counting the Falcons game he played in. He also had a rocket pass that was picked on the last play of the Buccs game when he mopped up IIRC. I counted the Bengals game which wasn't a full game technically. Then according to profootballreference he had a pick in his 5th game, none in his 6th, then his first ever shuckshow with 3 picks in his 7th game. And before that game the talk was the same as it is now with Mahomes. Titletown this, Pack is Back that, etc etc etc. I like the guy but for heck's sake don't hand out the MVP and the crown and the February trophy yet.

Ok I got off on a little tangent because some of the stuff from the busier forum I frequent leaked over lol! It's to the point that people's minds are like Apps that update every 7 days. Mahomes is the greatest QB ever right now. As soon as he has a bad day he'll be the worst. They have Trubinsky as the best also right now, a mere 3 weeks since he was the worst after the Packers game. 

I think Mahomes is good and I'll neither crown him with every good game or bench him with every bad 1. He has earned the starting job on his team indefinitely though. I'll give him that and not take it away.  

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Missed two wide open tds and two bad ints. He is playing like a young Peyton at NE.

Yeah, that is what I thought too. It was commendable how he came back and if he had settled down in the first half and given them valuable points with his legs, they would have won, IMO.

To beat NE, you need to get ahead on them and stay ahead aggressively. That is what Peyton did in both the 2013 AFCCG and 2015 AFCCG, to control tempo. They did so in 2013 at Foxboro too but then, they started coughing up the ball in the second half and Brady made his comeback at home. It is always 60 minutes of football with Brady and Belichick that you have to prepare yourself for. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MPStack said:

Was only a matter of time, before he came down to earth. Patriots making him look average tonight.

Patriots just played coverage like I expected them to, much like the Jags did. The difference is, Brady on the other side vs Bortles will put plenty of pressure on any team. 

• Like 2

All rookies have to go through the bumps.  NFL D coordinators get tape, then figure out tendencies, etc...  then scheme to foil as much of it as they can. Then the QB adapts to speed of game and adjusts to the new D schemes...  cycle of QB life.

You really know a QB in year 3 and beyond....

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He was very unimpressive  vs pats.

I don't get to see him much Except for highlights and lord knows how much they show of him.

But as with everyone else ypu can't go by how players/teams do against NE for obvious reasons.

I thought he was impressive in the 2nd Half. In the 1st Half he didn't look good. That couldve been because he was playing at NE in primetime and was just nervous early being a rookie. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought he was impressive in the 2nd Half. In the 1st Half he didn't look good. That couldve been because he was playing at NE in primetime and was just nervous early being a rookie. 

Or maybe it was also Bill Belichick and the Pats pro scout team had all his situational tendencies mapped and game planned to defend them.  Then Andy Reid and Eric Bieniemy devise adjustments for the second half?  Kid looks good, really good.  But NFL D coordinators will come up with good ways to slow him.  But Andy Reid is just as crafty.

• Like 1

Looked pretty good again last night.  There's plenty of tape on him by now.  They have been able to slow him at times, but he's still ballin.  Granted, he's got a great set of skill position players to work with, but he's using them to the best of their ability.  I gotta tip my hat.

The Pats beat the Chiefs up and down the field most of that game tbh. I don't know why they abandoned the run near the goal line those 2 drives and let them come back. 

Besides that the whole team has been ballin'. They're trying to win a SB right here right now, period. Gotta hand it to Reid for selling it to them too. Every single guy out there is all in.

Now that was also the Bengals last night. I don't know who would make me more nervous them in a big regular season game or Reid in a playoff game. Cris Collinsworth slobbering over Mahomes home movies and overusing the words fine young man and citizen doesn't help me root for the guy either.