Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Always Felt Bad For Manning

David Wagner

I think Brett Farve and Payton Manning were poorly served by their respective organizations. THe packers will unwilling to get the necessary wide receivers for brett to throw to and the colts kept trying to convience totting out on defense small players who routinely got pushed around.

I wonder how many super bowls Payton Manning would have won had he played for the pittsburgh steelers. during his time they had the best defense and a running game. I bet Payton would have more than Brady has.

I wonder how many super bowls Payton Manning would have won had he played for the pittsburgh steelers. during his time they had the best defense and a running game. I bet Payton would have more than Brady has.

What does sweetness have to do with this?

I think Brett Farve and Payton Manning were poorly served by their respective organizations. THe packers will unwilling to get the necessary wide receivers for brett to throw to and the colts kept trying to convience totting out on defense small players who routinely got pushed around.

The difference between Peyton and Brett is that Peyton will continue to have a good relationship with Indy and Irsay. Can’t say the same for Brett and Green Bay

ps. Please spell Peytons name right :facepalm: ;)

The thing I'm going to miss most is when people spell Peyton as Payton. At least Andrew Luck's name is easy to spell, and if we draft Robert Griffin we'll yell at people for spelling it "Robert Griffen" for the next 12 years lol.

You are obviously not a Colts fan by the way you mispell Manning's first name. Peyton came to a perenial cellar dweller and transformed them into the most consistent franchise of the millenium. In so doing, he became an icon in a town desperately in need of its own football identity. Before Peyton, many Colts fans never even dreamed about winning a Lombardi trophy much less dared to feel entitled to probably winning more. Peyton was able to do that for this previously woe-begotten franchise and gave the fan base over a decade of outstanding football. I think he did just fine here.

The thing I'm going to miss most is when people spell Peyton as Payton. At least Andrew Luck's name is easy to spell, and if we draft Robert Griffin we'll yell at people for spelling it "Robert Griffen" for the next 12 years lol.

LOL I always hated that. Made fans from other teams appear dumb as a rock to me.

You are obviously not a Colts fan by the way you mispell Manning's first name. Peyton came to a perenial cellar dweller and transformed them into the most consistent franchise of the millenium. In so doing, he became an icon in a town desperately in need of its own football identity. Before Peyton, many Colts fans never even dreamed about winning a Lombardi trophy much less dared to feel entitled to probably winning more. Peyton was able to do that for this previously woe-begotten franchise and gave the fan base over a decade of outstanding football. I think he did just fine here.

Yes we did untill a last second hail mary pass in the endzone against Pittsburg that fell to the ground.

LOL I always hated that. Made fans from other teams appear dumb as a rock to me.

Agreed. I would get a huge kick out of the people that said they followed him since his days at Tennessee and they still spelled it wrong. Never understood how somebody could have so much love, admiration, and respect for the man and then turn around and spell his name wrong.

If Andrew does not win his first year, some will be spelling his last name with an "F" which will not be nice.

Yes we did untill a last second hail mary pass in the endzone against Pittsburg that fell to the ground.

Well yeah but that run kind of came out of the no where and caught everyone by surprise. No one had Super Bowl thoughts going into that year. Even going into the playoffs, the team jokingly called themselves a bunch of "raga-muffins" and sported a 9-7 record.

I agree with the op's sentiment that the Colts & Peyton could have hoisted a couple more trophies. Polian's philosophy to pay only offense & use late round draft picks for D/special teams hurt us. And the coaching has been terrible at times.

It is almost as if some people live in an alternate universe from the one I live in...

You do realize every team has to work within a salary cap, right? EVERY team has holes, and every team has to figure out how to manage the cap to put the best possible product on the field. Some put more emphasis on D, others on special individual players. $$$ doesn't allow awesome everywhere.

Bill Polian had his flaws, but he may well have been one of the ALL TIME great cap managers. No other team was as consistent for as long.

Interesting that the wheels came off after the attempted hand-off to Chris Polian...

And as far as Brett Favre is concerned, and I may be wrong, but wasn't Donald Driver and Greg Jennings around for Favre's later years? How can you say he didn't have any receivers when Rodgers is carving up defenses left and right with virtually the same receiving corp minus nelson and finley, which both of them drop their fair share of passes. And on another note, please do not use Manning and Favre in the same sentence. Two entirely different players and personalities. Manning exudes class and Favre is, well you go ahead and fill in that blank.

Manning (#1 draft pick) was a disgrace his first year with only three wins (3-13) and twenty interceptions, so button it up.

We had the lead in 5 ADDITIONAL games in the fourth quarter that year. The LOUSY defensive coordinator lost those games, and others, with the "prevent". Manning could EASILY have been 8-8 his rookie year.

I have been saying that for years. What they are doing now , they should have done years ago.

It was the small ball D that cost all the titles we should have had with the GOAT, The system sucked. Thats why I think we are on the right path and Luck will win more SB. He will never be as good as PM but he will have a better team around him.

I agree. I remember when Peyton was in the first couple years of his career hearing a quote from Irsay - something along the lines of winning 3 or 4 Super Bowls. I really believe it would have been possible in the early to mid 2000's but for injuries and the philosophies quoted above. For all his accolades, it is my opinion that Bill Polian (and Dungy to an extent) really underachieved in assembling a team around Manning, Edge, and Harrison when they were here or in their prime. Time has shown us that you have to strike when the iron is hot and we didn't. That iron has been cooling for a while and that's why we find ourselves in the situation we're in.

i felt bad for Manning because the team always floundered in the playoffs. I put that on the coaching staff and Polian because of the lack of size and technique on the defense. I think we were always talented but I didn't see Meeks or Dungy teach the defense anything. I remember hearing that they always went with the same base look so that they could do less thinking and more reacting, but that hinders the defense because the offense knows what they will run.

But all in all, Peyton made a lot of money and that also helped him not get talent around him, so I can only feel so bad for him because he didn't help the Colts to get any good defensive players

I like the fact Irsay cleaned house. Polian in ability to find quality players, especially on defense and oline along with Dungy's small ball defense cost the colts a good 3 super bowl appearances. you look at the side of defenders on tampa bay vs the colts it was night and day.