Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philip Walker released from PS

Hoose

I'm surprised the Colts made this move. Luck gets hurt, or Brissett has anything go wrong, and Walker gets picked up by another team????

They would have a very very green backup. I'm guessing the Colts think Walker will go unclaimed, and that they can scoop him back up later. But that's taking a big chance just to stash another RB on the PS.  

Yeah, when i saw they dropped him to get a RB on the PS, I almost cried.  I really liked Walker.  But, so far there has been quite a few releases Ballard has done that has not only me quizzical, but all of Colts nation.  Just have to trust in Ballard, he has shown he has info we don't because we seem to just be getting better.

• Like 1

I never liked Walker, so there is that. We'd be better off drafting a QB prospect next year in later rounds.

This also tells me how much they believe in Luck's health right now. If necessary, vets like Derek Anderson, Matt Moore and Landry Jones are still available.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Here is a trip down memory lane....

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/9/3/16250120/colts-released-the-wrong-quarterback-when-they-waived-stephen-morris

Reality is, Scott is FA, and Stephen is in the AFL. Not a great deal to worry over. 

32 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I never liked Walker, so there is that. We'd be better off drafting a QB prospect next year in later rounds.

This also tells me how much they believe in Luck's health right now. If necessary, vets like Derek Anderson, Matt Moore and Landry Jones are still available.

OSU Beavers...baby .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/9/3/16250120/colts-released-the-wrong-quarterback-when-they-waived-stephen-morris

Reality is, Scott is FA, and Stephen is in the AFL. Not a great deal to worry over. 

We are all enamored with the Brandstater, Morris, Walker type of guys in pre-season. So I am not surprised. :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Robert20170 said:

I kind of thought Walker outplayed Brissett in the pre-season.  I'm no QB expert, but that's how I saw it.  I realize Brissett is a known commodity due to last year, and I'm all for him being on the team.  But it's a shame we couldn't keep Walker on the PS just in case.  

Keep in mind that Walker often played against guys that are either on NFL practice squads or on the street.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Four2itus said:

OSU Beavers...baby .

Was still the wrong decision though...but yeah much like that Morris situation...releasing Walker isn’t much to worry about.  

Preferably, the Colts are able to get an extra 4th/5th round pick in the next year or two...and draft an intersting backup QB to develop. Maybe even next year (after they trade Brissett).

11 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Was still the wrong decision though...but yeah much like that Morris situation...releasing Walker isn’t much to worry about.  

Preferably, the Colts are able to get an extra 4th/5th round pick in the next year or two...and draft an intersting backup QB to develop. Maybe even next year (after they trade Brissett).

It's interesting often fans can make such a declarative statement, without all the information available to the people who do make the decision. 

Every has a right to their opinion, you included, But I feel there is a huge difference in presentation between...

"I think they made the wrong decision"

and

"They made the wrong decision"

One is an opinion, the other is a declaration of fact. I feel like this is one of the bigger creators of tension between fans on boards like these. 

As far as the underlined, I suppose they could trade Brissett if enough value was thrown their way, but it would be a huge risk if there was no one else in the building they thought could develop to be the level of QB he is. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

It's interesting often fans can make such a declarative statement, without all the information available to the people who do make the decision. 

Every has a right to their opinion, you included, But I feel there is a huge difference in presentation between...

and

One is an opinion, the other is a declaration of fact. I feel like this is one of the bigger creators of tension between fans on boards like these. 

As far as the underlined, I suppose they could trade Brissett if enough value was thrown their way, but it would be a huge risk if there was no one else in the building they thought could develop to be the level of QB he is. 

I think declarative statements are mostly opinions anyways...unless some type of tangible result or stat/s is being quoted. At least in my case...that's true. Personally, I get tired of saying "I think" or "I feel" every sentence. 

I am sure they would have list of backup QBs they liked...before they would trade Brissett. Plus there is always FA. I just think a day two pick (or better) is more value than having Brissett in case of emergency for one season...and then whatever comp pick they might get (assuming FA doesn't offset it). They could even use the pick from Brissett to draft an even QB prospect than Brissett (if they wanted). And by then, we should know if Luck is 100% healthy. 

On September 19, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Robert20170 said:

I kind of thought Walker outplayed Brissett in the pre-season.  I'm no QB expert, but that's how I saw it.  I realize Brissett is a known commodity due to last year, and I'm all for him being on the team.  But it's a shame we couldn't keep Walker on the PS just in case.  

Umm, what?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Four2itus said:

and

I think I agree with you on this matter.

Walker Pats the ball before he throws.  It didn't hurt him much in the preseason because he was playing against a lot of guys that are either on PSs now or working hard to try and have another shot next year and because teams don't watch film or game plan in the preseason.  But starting level Dbs who watch him on film would intercept him all over the place.  A QB patting the ball right before he throws is akin to a Texas Hold 'em player winking at the other players every time he is going to bluff.

On 9/21/2018 at 3:15 PM, Four2itus said:

Well, they did say, "I'm no QB expert.....". 

On 9/21/2018 at 5:56 AM, jskinnz said:

Umm, what?

Wow, if any of you can show me how Brissett had a much better pre-season than Walker I'd like to see it.  

Player    Att    Comp    Yds    Comp %    Yds/Att    TD    TD %    INT    INT %    Long    Sck    Sack/Lost    Rating
Jacoby Brissett    56    35    395    62.5    7.1    1    1.8    0    0.0    53    4    30    89.5
Phillip Walker    49    30    446    61.2    9.1    4    8.2    2    4.1    39    1    8    101.2

I know you guys are football experts, because you spend an inordinate amount of time on fan forums, but nothing in those stats discount what I said.  Both QBs worked against varying levels of talent, and IMHO Walker had the better preseason.  What has Brissett truly done other than being drafted by the Patriots and going 4-12 last year?  I realize he's the better QB all in all, but I was making the case that Walker should remain on the roster.  

31 minutes ago, Robert20170 said:

Wow, if any of you can show me how Brissett had a much better pre-season than Walker I'd like to see it.  

Player    Att    Comp    Yds    Comp %    Yds/Att    TD    TD %    INT    INT %    Long    Sck    Sack/Lost    Rating
Jacoby Brissett    56    35    395    62.5    7.1    1    1.8    0    0.0    53    4    30    89.5
Phillip Walker    49    30    446    61.2    9.1    4    8.2    2    4.1    39    1    8    101.2

I know you guys are football experts, because you spend an inordinate amount of time on fan forums, but nothing in those stats discount what I said.  Both QBs worked against varying levels of talent, and IMHO Walker had the better preseason.  What has Brissett truly done other than being drafted by the Patriots and going 4-12 last year?  I realize he's the better QB all in all, but I was making the case that Walker should remain on the roster.  

You are correct, he did have a good preseason.   I guess the Colts feel that if it come to needing a 3rd string QB, they can get just as good from the available QB's out there.  

1 hour ago, Robert20170 said:

I was merely quoting you about not being an expert. However, I don't remember Brissett and Walker facing the same level of players as in the #1's, #2's, and #3's. 

There is a noticeable drop off from 1's to 2's, and a huge drop to 3's. Almost every player being allocated to the practice squad, cut, resigned...etc...is a #3. Regardless of what we think we see. 

17 hours ago, Robert20170 said:

1) Merely pointing out stats does not begin to tell the story of who is the better QB - clearly that is Brissett.

2) You do know that Walker is back on the practice squad right?  It's called roster management.  I think the Colts had a pretty good inkling they could let Walker go and that he would be available again in a couple of days.  For reasons why that is - see point # 1.