Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard is a genius

Lef

He hit in a major way on the 1st 2 picks in the 2018 draft.   Nelson and Leonard.

He also did great with 2 trades:

Traded • 2018 first round pick (#3-Sam Darnold) to Jets for • 2018 first round pick (#6-Quenton Nelson) • 2018 second round pick (#37-Braden Smith) • 2018 second round pick (#49-Dallas Goedert) • 2019 second round pick (?-?) on 2018-03-17

Traded • 2018 second round pick (#49-Dallas Goedert) to Eagles for • 2018 second round pick (#52-Kemoko Turay) • 2018 fifth round pick (#169-Jordan Wilkins) on 2018-04-27

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Didn't Grigson win executive of the year or something.....premature for sure to call anyone a genius. I like Ballards approach and where we are headed....but we aren't there yet.

He's flipped the entire roster & added young, fast, athletic talent all over the place without spending hardly any money. Right now our defense is playing fast & furious, & our OL looks pretty decent, which was never the case during the Grigson era.

I don't think it's necessary to call Ballard a "genius," but IMO he definitely knows what he's doing as far as being a GM & building a roster goes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He's flipped the entire roster & added young, fast, athletic talent all over the place without spending hardly any money. Right now our defense is playing fast & furious, & our OL looks pretty decent, which was never the case during the Grigson era.

I don't think it's necessary to call Ballard a "genius," but IMO he definitely knows what he's doing as far as being a GM & building a roster goes.

And he has done this while being completely transparent about what he is doing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Who have the Patriots paid big in FA recently? How are the Jags going to sustain the high payroll? Years to come? Lol.

I can't tell if you are being serious or not... seriously. 

Stephen Gilmore comes to mind. Most of NE's talent is guys they kept. But NE is always the outlier...no other team has done what they have done. So while we can hope we become like NE...it's not realistic to expect that. 

A more relevant example, however, would be the team that actually just won the Super Bowl. They used FA to their advantage...to the point that they didn't even need their franchise QB to win the Super Bowl. 

And if JAC wins the Super Bowl (ugh I hope not)...I am sure they will gladly trade that for a year or so of resetting. 

3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

That's exactly what he was alluding to.  They were able to turn Jax around "fast" because the team actually did a decent job using high draft picks for half a decade.....they didn't build that defense in 2 years,  they just in the last few years started bringing in free agents to fill holes, and when they have to pay all those high picks new contracts, some guys will have to go, but Jax has managed cap space really well.... when guys like Campbell are aging and being cut or retiring, that will add space to sign the high draft picks......

They actually did build that defense in a couple of years (more or less)...starting with the 2016 FA and draft.

Jalen Ramsay, Myles Jack, Yannick Ngakoue, Malik Jackson, Calais Campbell, Tashuan Gipson, AJ Bouye, Barry Church, Marcell Dareus...all were added during that time. The only pieces that were already there was Telvin Smith (who was a middle rounder) and Dante Fowler (who hasn't lived up to his draft spot).   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Stephen Gilmore comes to mind. Most of NE's talent is guys they kept. But NE is always the outlier...no other team has done what they have done. So while we can hope we become like NE...it's not realistic to expect that. 

A more relevant example, however, would be the team that actually just won the Super Bowl. They used FA to their advantage...to the point that they didn't even need their franchise QB to win the Super Bowl. 

And if JAC wins the Super Bowl (ugh I hope not)...I am sure they will gladly trade that for a year or so of resetting. 

Yeah, the Jags are actually set up fairly decent for cap in the coming seasons, as older vets age and get released, or not re-signed, the young guys will be coming due.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Ballard’s plan takes hitting on the majority of his draft picks. But also I am super intrigued and excited with the way Reich is running this offense. He has so far from what I can see, maximized the talent we have on the roster. And after 2 games the Colts defense is the highest rated tackling team according to PFF. Which is huge. How many times have we seen players take wrong angles or just flat out can’t tackle the guy? Seeing that has me pretty excited as well. So far, all the complaints I had with pagano aren’t relevant anymore. They’re doing up tempo short passes move the chains. And the defense can tackle. 

Ballard understands he can’t do it alone. And so far I’m loving Reich and I’m excited to watch the Colts again on Sunday’s. We will see how it goes. 

We watched peyton manning, one of the most disciplined players ever. And the team is playing disciplined football once again. Let’s hope it keeps on going.  

I dont think it does take hitting on the majority.... He had 10 this year. If you hit on half, and it's looking promising, of those picks, you can stack 3 or 4 on top of another and have a dang good roster. Much better than we are accustomed to. Guys that fit your mold/scheme. We are seeing the dividends of propert scheme fit, and prototype mold. Speed. High motor and intelligent players. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/jacksonville-jaguars/

Doesn't look like a cap situation I would want to be in... I'll take $100 million, Andrew Luck, and a bunch of young talent to build with... 

Until Blake Bortles proves me wrong in the postseason, all that money is going down the drain, in my opinion. 

26 players under contract in 2020 accounting for $180 million. $19 million capspace... Jalen Ramsey is not one of those guys. Please tell me how this is good management? Even if they are front loaded deals, they are strapped until those guys are cut...   To put this into perspective, the Colts have 25 under contract in 2020... with $121 million in capspace.

I wouldn't label the trio of Ballard/Dodds/Hogan geniuses just yet. But, with thier previous track records of building (through the draft) the early/mid 2000's Bears, and the 2010's Chiefs and Seahawks PLUS what they've done here in 2017 and 2018, they are on thier way.

With 19 picks the last 2 years they have 7 starters, 8 rotational/Contributing players, 2 on IR that would likely be added to the rotational players at the very least, 1 playing for another team and 1 on the PS.

Plus with excellent scouting they've got upwards of 6-7 starters and/or rotational/Contributing waiver wire pickups and udfa's.

That's not counting the 6 solid veteran free agents that are starting as well.

Say what you will about the lack of spending in Free Agency (currently) but this team is being built brick by brick by a Front Office that is 100% in tune with what ingredients the Coaching Staff needs to make thier schemes work! That, in and if itself is far more important than just pure talent alone. 

Take a look below at how this FO has stacked two off-seasons together and with one more off-season I firmly believe the talent they are bringing in will lead the Colts to the promised land once again!

Round 1, pick 15: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State (starter & trending up)

Round 2, pick 46: Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida (part time starter when healthy, but trending up)

Round 3, pick 80: Tarell Basham, EDGE, Ohio (relagated to ST's, perhaps another Jerry Hughes?)

Round 4, pick 137: Zach Banner, G, USC (cut during camp in 17, currently w/Steelers)

Round 4, pick 143: Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida (starter but trending up)

Round 4, pick 144: Grover Stewart, DT, Albany State (rotational player but trending up as a starter for Woods next year)

Round 5, pick 158: Nate Hairston, CB, Temple (starter and trending up)

Round 5, pick 161: Anthony Walker Jr., LB, Northwestern (starter and trending up)

UDFA/Waiver Wire/Free Agent

Sheard - FA starter

Woods - FA starter

Hunt - FA starter

Moore II - Waivers (starter and trending up)

Sanchez - UDFA (great rookie season and trending up)

Glowinski - Waivers (solid depth)

Desir - Waivers (part time starter but trending up)

Brissett - Trade (excellent backup, trending up for more draft picks next year)

Daniels - UDFA (decent rookie year, used as trade bait this year)

Travis - Waivers (was trending up until torn acl in 4th preseason game - current IR)

Kaaya - Signed from Panthers PS ( servicable backup - currently on IR)

Round 1, pick 6: Quentin Nelson, G, Notre Dame (starter trending up)

Round 2, pick 36: Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina State (starter trending up)

Round 2, pick 37: Braden Smith, G, Auburn (current backup - stock even)

Round 2, pick 52: Kemoko Turay, DE, Rutgers (rotational player but trending up)

Round 2, pick 64: Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State (was having a great camp until toe injury - currently on IR designated to return - stock even)

Round 4, pick 104: Nyheim Hines, RB, NC State (rotational player and trending up)

Round 5, pick 159: Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa (project player currently on PS - stock even)

Round 5, pick 169: Jordan Wilkins, RB, Ole Miss (gem of a pick and trending up)

Round 6, pick 185: Deon Cain, WR, Clemson (was pushing for a starting spot until torn acl in preseason opener - stock remains high)

Round 7, pick 221: Matthew Adams, LB, Houston (solid ST's contributor - stock even)

Round 7, pick 235: Zaire Franklin, LB, Syracuse (solid ST's contributor - stock even)

Slauson - FA starter

Autry - FA (kind of a "meh" beginning, but is a starter)

Grant - FA starter (nothing flashy, just makes plays)

S. Moore - UDFA (in the LB mix with Leonard and Walker - trending up)

Odum - UDFA (solid ST's contributor)

Muhammad - Waivers (started 2nd game and secured the edge well and got good push - trending up)

Hewitt - Waivers (ST's contributor and best blocking TE on roster)

Pascal - Waivers (earned that 4th WR spot and returner duties)

Pipkins - Trade (undetermined)

Ishmael - UDFA (earned a PS spot and has potential)

Ward - Waivers (earned a 53 man spot in a week AND had a sack in 1st game - trending up)

C. Moore - Waivers (undetermined)

Williams - Trade (undetermined)

Oh yeah and for those that bring Grigson up as Executive of the year..... I will give him T.Y. Hilton (as his best actual draft pick), Geathers, Doyle and the trio of Kelly/Clarke/Haeg. Luck was a no brainer that any one of us coulda made.

Compare the depth of the drafts and how many contributions we're getting from the 1st round thru the 7th round. We have true talent evaluators now!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I wouldn't label the trio of Ballard/Dodds/Hogan geniuses just yet. But, with thier previous track records of building (through the draft) the early/mid 2000's Bears, and the 2010's Chiefs and Seahawks PLUS what they've done here in 2017 and 2018, they are on thier way.

With 19 picks the last 2 years they have 7 starters, 8 rotational/Contributing players, 2 on IR that would likely be added to the rotational players at the very least, 1 playing for another team and 1 on the PS.

Plus with excellent scouting they've got upwards of 6-7 starters and/or rotational/Contributing waiver wire pickups and udfa's.

Say what you will about the lack of spending in Free Agency (currently) but this team is being built brick by brick by a Front Office that is 100% in tune with what ingredients the Coaching Staff needs to make thier schemes work! That, in and if itself is far more important than just pure talent alone. 

Take a look below at how this FO has stacked two off-seasons together and with one more off-season I firmly believe the talent they are bringing in will lead the Colts to the promised land once again!

Round 2, pick 46: Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida (part time starter when healthy, but trending up)

Round 3, pick 80: Tarell Basham, EDGE, Ohio (relagated to ST's, perhaps another Jerry Hughes?)

Round 4, pick 137: Zach Banner, G, USC (cut during camp in 17, currently w/Steelers)

Round 4, pick 144: Grover Stewart, DT, Albany State (rotational player but trending up as a starter for Woods next year)

Round 5, pick 161: Anthony Walker Jr., LB, Northwestern (starter and trending up)

Sheard - FA starter

Woods - FA starter

Hunt - FA starter

Travis - Waivers (was trending up until torn acl in 4th preseason game - current IR)

Round 2, pick 36: Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina State (starter trending up)

Round 2, pick 64: Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State (was having a great camp until toe injury - currently on IR designated to return - stock even)

Round 4, pick 104: Nyheim Hines, RB, NC State (rotational player and trending up)

Round 5, pick 159: Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa (project player currently on PS - stock even)

Round 6, pick 185: Deon Cain, WR, Clemson (was pushing for a starting spot until torn acl in preseason opener - stock remains high)

Round 7, pick 221: Matthew Adams, LB, Houston (solid ST's contributor - stock even)

Round 7, pick 235: Zaire Franklin, LB, Syracuse (solid ST's contributor - stock even)

Slauson - FA starter

Muhammad - Waivers (started 2nd game and secured the edge well and got good push - trending up)

Ward - Waivers (earned a 53 man spot in a week AND had a sack in 1st game - trending up)

Oh yeah and for those that bring Grigson up as Executive of the year..... I will give him T.Y. Hilton (as his best actual draft pick), Geathers, Doyle and the trio of Kelly/Clarke/Haeg. Luck was a no brainer that any one of us coulda made.

Compare the depth of the drafts and how many contributions we're getting from the 1st round thru the 7th round. We have true talent evaluators now!

Well........    Bravo!     Post of the Day!     Post of the Week!!     Post of the Month!!!

And a strong candidate for Post of the Year!!!!!       :colts:

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Can we revisit this discussion now that we are heading into week 3?... Are you still sour on Hankins and Anderson not being on this defensive line/scheme? Are you still sour that Simon was released in favor of Hunt? Just curious... Do you still think this defense is void of talent? ---Darius Leonard and Kenny Moore would like to know your thoughts.

I thought this was humorous then. I especially do now. 

Sure, as I said I thought Leonard looked good in the preseason, and "time will tell" so my review after a whopping 2 games is Leonard is still good and time will still tell....

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Sheard - FA starter

Woods - FA starter

Hunt - FA starter

Slauson - FA starter

Wow.   So much bias to the positive for what's really unknown.

Aren't all 2nd year and rookies trending up....until you know better?  My 10 year old son is trending up.

The thought of picking Andrew Luck being a no brainer is true, but, you...and most everybody else...doesn't do a proper comparison.

If our franchise QB was ALREADY ON THE ROSTER at the time we had that pick, then our GM could have traded that number one pick (like our current GM traded the #3) for a RGIII type of trade.   Instead, he had to use all of those potential resources on one player, and didn't have the luxury of having a franchise QB on the roster......like most new GMs don't, unlike Ballard who did.

Also, when a team changes schemes, that causes turnover.  Measuring the prowess of a GM by citing how many starters he added simply fails to consider that ANY GM would have added new starters when they change from a 34 to a 43....and maybe a power man blocking to zone schemes...and a passing game that doesn't rely on talented WRs. 

The entire roster churned because of strategic change.

13 hours ago, shastamasta said:

They actually did build that defense in a couple of years (more or less)...starting with the 2016 FA and draft.

Jalen Ramsay, Myles Jack, Yannick Ngakoue, Malik Jackson, Calais Campbell, Tashuan Gipson, AJ Bouye, Barry Church, Marcell Dareus...all were added during that time. The only pieces that were already there was Telvin Smith (who was a middle rounder) and Dante Fowler (who hasn't lived up to his draft spot).   

They HAVE to do it this year......   They are already over the cap next year by a few million

They chose to spend big in FA

They will be on a roller coaster because of it

Adding one or two key FAs is one thing , WHILE you hold on to your top draft picks...... 

A team of young talent (on rookie contracts) seems to be the best.... LONG TERM approach

Doing the high volume FA team is a short term "heroin fix"

Feels good for a short while, but you ultimately drop....... Go to rehab... live in a cardboard box  

There is a little part of me that thinks the Jags HAD to do this

They had been the "losers" for so many years......

The fan base were gathering with pitchforks.......

I also think that the Jags have been playing in London every year for a reason........  They are building a brand name in the UK..........

It wouldnt suprise me at all to see them move to London, to start to penetrate that new market

North Florida will only get so big.....

40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Aren't all 2nd year and rookies trending up....until you know better?  My 10 year old son is trending up.

The thought of picking Andrew Luck being a no brainer is true, but, you...and most everybody else...doesn't do a proper comparison.

If our franchise QB was ALREADY ON THE ROSTER at the time we had that pick, then our GM could have traded that number one pick (like our current GM traded the #3) for a RGIII type of trade.   Instead, he had to use all of those potential resources on one player, and didn't have the luxury of having a franchise QB on the roster......like most new GMs don't, unlike Ballard who did.

Also, when a team changes schemes, that causes turnover.  Measuring the prowess of a GM by citing how many starters he added simply fails to consider that ANY GM would have added new starters when they change from a 34 to a 43....and maybe a power man blocking to zone schemes...and a passing game that doesn't rely on talented WRs. 

Come on man....Griffins name shouldn't even be I. The same sentence as Ballard. 

38 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

They HAVE to do it this year......   They are already over the cap next year by a few million

They chose to spend big in FA

They will be on a roller coaster because of it

Adding one or two key FAs is one thing , WHILE you hold on to your top draft picks...... 

A team of young talent (on rookie contracts) seems to be the best.... LONG TERM approach

Doing the high volume FA team is a short term "heroin fix"

Feels good for a short while, but you ultimately drop....... Go to rehab... live in a cardboard box  

There is a little part of me that thinks the Jags HAD to do this

They had been the "losers" for so many years......

The fan base were gathering with pitchforks.......

I also think that the Jags have been playing in London every year for a reason........  They are building a brand name in the UK..........

It wouldnt suprise me at all to see them move to London, to start to penetrate that new market

North Florida will only get so big.....

Right. I think they are rebranding and creating popularity for their move to London. And their aggressiveness in FA is tied to that. 

Also, consider how they struggled to get FAs for years...and suddenly they were signing several. Obviously, money played a role...but there is possibly more to it.

But here’s the thing. It will be in the best interest of the NFL to have a good team there. So I won’t be surprised if this “cap hell” of downfall never really happens...at least not nearly as bad as many think.

I am not saying anything fishy is going to happen (or has happened)...but I don’t think the plan is to move there and rebuild and be bad. 

41 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Come on man....Griffins name shouldn't even be I. The same sentence as Ballard. 

I know.  I'm simply pointing out that the alternative decision to picking Luck would be to trade the high pick, something that Ballard had the luxury of doing because he already had a franchise QB on the roster.

How many GMs get to take over a team that already has a solid, no questions asked, franchise QB?

I think Ballard has done a very good job with the changeover in schemes.  But that's just a feeling at this point and I certainly have little data to back it up.

• Like 1

I applaud the Jags.   They were run poorly for many years.   Then in 2016 they started drafting well and spent some money on FA's.  I think Marrone was a good hire as HC.  His O-line days have shown through.   He's got allot of experience and has been pretty successful wherever he has been.  Bringing Coughlin in was a good move too.   They are a formidable team.  

They will have some cap issues, but in the NFL, it can be worked through.   They have a few guy making big money that can be worked out.   They needed to change their identity and I think they are on the right road. 

I don't think we'll see a team in London.  

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I know.  I'm simply pointing out that the alternative decision to picking Luck would be to trade the high pick, something that Ballard had the luxury of doing because he already had a franchise QB on the roster.

How many GMs get to take over a team that already has a solid, no questions asked, franchise QB?

I think Ballard has done a very good job with the changeover in schemes.  But that's just a feeling at this point and I certainly have little data to back it up.

Oh I gotcha. Yes a great WB makes everyone look like a genius. GM's, coaching......

i honestly love what Ballard is doing though. He is building from the lines out and building from the draft. We continue to do well this season he will snag some key FA to give us that extra push

2 hours ago, Crunked said:

Sure, as I said I thought Leonard looked good in the preseason, and "time will tell" so my review after a whopping 2 games is Leonard is still good and time will still tell....

... and the defense is still void of talent, right? 

And Hankins and Simon were bad decisions... as they sit at home and watch.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

On the other side, Grigson got to have the chance to pick Luck.   Most GM's would love that.   He also inherited a team with Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Antoine Bethea, Adam Vinatieri and others.    

Either way, it should not take away what Ballard has done in the short time he has been here, most without Luck at all.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

... and the defense is still void of talent, right? 

And Hankins and Simon were bad decisions... as they sit at home and watch.

In his defense, it is still early.   I don't expect the Colts defense to be a top 10 "D" all season.   Too young.   I could be and hope I am wrong though.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

In his defense, it is still early.   I don't expect the Colts defense to be a top 10 "D" all season.   Too young.   I could be and hope I am wrong though.  

I dont either. They are very young... but they are far from talentless. And Crunked repeatedly said they were leading up to the season. 

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

I applaud the Jags.   They were run poorly for many years.   Then in 2016 they started drafting well and spent some money on FA's.  I think Marrone was a good hire as HC.  His O-line days have shown through.   He's got allot of experience and has been pretty successful wherever he has been.  Bringing Coughlin in was a good move too.   They are a formidable team.  

They will have some cap issues, but in the NFL, it can be worked through.   They have a few guy making big money that can be worked out.   They needed to change their identity and I think they are on the right road. 

I don't think we'll see a team in London.  

Big spending. Their biggest problem is they will most likely move (have to move) on from Dareus, Campbell, and malik Jackson by 2020... They are relying on drafting their replacements, and isn't going to happen to their liking. That is their identity. That is their bread and butter on defense. And they will have to let them walk because they overspend in FA every year. 

13 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/jacksonville-jaguars/

Doesn't look like a cap situation I would want to be in... I'll take $100 million, Andrew Luck, and a bunch of young talent to build with... 

Until Blake Bortles proves me wrong in the postseason, all that money is going down the drain, in my opinion. 

26 players under contract in 2020 accounting for $180 million. $19 million capspace... Jalen Ramsey is not one of those guys. Please tell me how this is good management? Even if they are front loaded deals, they are strapped until those guys are cut...   To put this into perspective, the Colts have 25 under contract in 2020... with $121 million in capspace.

Well if you look at it, there's around 52 million in capspace tied up that year in 4 guys who will either be restructured or will not be there.  Of course we have a better cap situation, that wasn't up for debate, I was merely making the point that merely counting on the Jags to descend into cap hell isn't a good plan for winning the division.  If they are smart, they will be around for a while.

• Like 1

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

I dont either. They are very young... but they are far from talentless. And Crunked repeatedly said they were leading up to the season. 

I am optimistic that this defense will only improve

Unless there are injuries to key people, this defense should learn to play better, together

There was an improvement in angles and being in the right place, from game 1 to game 2

This is with a team that hasnt played together very long

Not a guarantee...... and maybe wishful thinking, but  the overall speed of this defense is something I have NEVER seen before... and I have been watching the Colts ...... well.... when Unitas was playing

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Myles said:

On the other side, Grigson got to have the chance to pick Luck.   Most GM's would love that.   He also inherited a team with Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Antoine Bethea, Adam Vinatieri and others.    

Either way, it should not take away what Ballard has done in the short time he has been here, most without Luck at all.  

Other side of what? 

I thought the thread was about how Ballard is a genius.  

I don't see that because it was easy for Grigson to pick Luck, how that makes Ballard more of a genius. 

It would seem to suggest that any success Ballard will have is because he had a head start compared to most GMs who start off having to use their high pick on a franchise QB.  The post managed to spin it like Ballard is a genius because of Grigson's easy pick.

Ballard found new starters in part because the old ones, like Mewhort and Vontae, retired...and Dwayne Allen was a horrible signing.  He also replaced some of his own signings with new players because of the scheme change.

Again, I don't see how listing how many new starters there are makes Ballard a genius.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Other side of what? 

I thought the thread was about how Ballard is a genius.  

I don't see that because it was easy for Grigson to pick Luck, how that makes Ballard more of a genius. 

It would seem to suggest that any success Ballard will have is because he had a head start compared to most GMs who start off having to use their high pick on a franchise QB.  The post managed to spin it like Ballard is a genius because of Grigson's easy pick.    

You started the comparison between the 2.   You claimed it was easier for Ballard.   That is not relevant.   Grigson had several drafts that he whiffed on that he could have used to build the team.   In all his years in Indy, Grigson never was able to do what Ballard is doing in a short period of time.   Ballard also had less to start with (besides an injured Luck).  

Grigsons poor tenure here shouldn't have anything to do with Ballard.   Ballard has come in and is building the team the correct way and is hitting on draft picks.   The 2018 draft may go down as one of the best the Colts have ever had.  We'll see, But Nelson should be a stud for a decade and Leonard is looking like he may be the real thing.   Add in the others and Ballard did great.   "Genius" is premature though.

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

You started the comparison between the 2.   You claimed it was easier for Ballard.   That is not relevant.   Grigson had several drafts that he whiffed on that he could have used to build the team.   In all his years in Indy, Grigson never was able to do what Ballard is doing in a short period of time.   Ballard also had less to start with (besides an injured Luck).  

Grigsons poor tenure here shouldn't have anything to do with Ballard.   Ballard has come in and is building the team the correct way and is hitting on draft picks.   The 2018 draft may go down as one of the best the Colts have ever had.  We'll see, But Nelson should be a stud for a decade and Leonard is looking like he may be the real thing.   Add in the others and Ballard did great.   "Genius" is premature though.

What I did was point out the difference between starting with a QB and not having one, in retort to a comment that picking Luck was lucky.

We could've trade Luck's pick, ridden Manning and built a younger 34 defense around him, and drafted Cousins in the 3rd or Foles in the 4th.  Picking Luck wasn't lucky, per se.  It was a strategic decision.

The comment poo-poohed the idea that Luck should even be considered in the analysis of Ballard simply because the GM we love to hate fell into it. 

We have Luck now instead of a bunch of other players, and we won a lot early when we made that trade off, with the penalty being we don't have those young players now.  Its important to point that out when someone lists all of the young players we need.

BTW, all of those talented players you listed did us squat when we had Curtis Painter at QB.

10 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Sheard - FA starter

Woods - FA starter

Hunt - FA starter

Slauson - FA starter

Well done sir.  I notice when you make some pretty solid contributions on here, by the way.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What I did was point out the difference between starting with a QB and not having one, in retort to a comment that picking Luck was lucky.

We could've trade Luck's pick, ridden Manning and built a younger 34 defense around him, and drafted Cousins in the 3rd or Foles in the 4th.  Picking Luck wasn't lucky, per se.  It was a strategic decision.

A little bit, yes, but we knew Manning was leaving.   Luck was the sure thing.   Good job of not screwing it up Grigson, but I'm not going to give him a mountain of credit for drafting Luck.  

I was one of the few who wanted to keep Manning and accept the Hershal Walker-like trade Cleveland and another couple teams were offering so that we could build a solid team.   I knew the team had many holes.   Grigson didn't plug holes, he added more through his years.   Ballard has done a great job plugging some holes.    Still some left, but we are certainly trending the right way.  

Just now, Myles said:

A little bit, yes, but we knew Manning was leaving.   Luck was the sure thing.   Good job of not screwing it up Grigson, but I'm not going to give him a mountain of credit for drafting Luck.  

I was one of the few who wanted to keep Manning and accept the Hershal Walker-like trade Cleveland and another couple teams were offering so that we could build a solid team.   I knew the team had many holes.   Grigson didn't plug holes, he added more through his years.   Ballard has done a great job plugging some holes.    Still some left, but we are certainly trending the right way.  

Who cares about giving credit to Grigson in a Ballard is a genius thread?

I wanted to keep Manning and draft Foles.  Yes, I did.  I thought it was 50/50 it would happen, but figured Irsay wanted a new face and leader of the franchise rather than have Foles...who wasn't ready to do that.....be given a back seat for three years.  Also, I don't think the fans would want to see PM go through a building process at the end of his career.  I thought the better decision for the franchise was to go with Luck, but I always questioned it from a pure football decision considering what we would have gotten in a trade and that there were some other decent QBs coming out. 

Teams that don't have a lot of draft picks or money tied up in one player tend to have a more balanced roster, and the ones that do seem to struggle to fill it out completely.

19 hours ago, Myles said:

He hit in a major way on the 1st 2 picks in the 2018 draft.   Nelson and Leonard.

He also did great with 2 trades:

Traded • 2018 first round pick (#3-Sam Darnold) to Jets for • 2018 first round pick (#6-Quenton Nelson) • 2018 second round pick (#37-Braden Smith) • 2018 second round pick (#49-Dallas Goedert) • 2019 second round pick (?-?) on 2018-03-17

Traded • 2018 second round pick (#49-Dallas Goedert) to Eagles for • 2018 second round pick (#52-Kemoko Turay) • 2018 fifth round pick (#169-Jordan Wilkins) on 2018-04-27

Im not going to lie. At first I didnt know too much about Leonard and wanted the Colts to get Boston College DE/Rush LB Harold landry when he was available. But then I said to myself, If CB is not drafting Landry and wants Leonard, Then this guy Leonard must be the real deal. I thought, Leonard has to be the next coming of Derrick Brooks (Leadership/Athleticism wise). So far, I think he has showed the leadership, The Athleticism is starting to show as well.

I was excited to see Leonard calling the plays with the speaker in his Helmet. TBH I dont think the previous regime would have allowed for a rookie to assume those responsibilities. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

What was Grigs biggest whiff? Ill tell you, Drafting Werner when we could have drafted CB Xavier Rhodes from FSU. Rhodes was selected immediately after we took Werner by the Vikings and has made multiple Pro Bowls. I was screaming at he TV when we were on the clock saying, Here we go, we are getting Xavier Rhodes. smh epic fail!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

What was Grigs biggest whiff? Ill tell you, Drafting Werner when we could have drafted CB Xavier Rhodes from FSU. Rhodes was selected immediately after we took Werner by the Vikings and has made multiple Pro Bowls. I was screaming at he TV when we were on the clock saying, Here we go, we are getting Xavier Rhodes. smh epic fail!

I wouldn't narrow his biggest "whiff" down to one player.   He missed on entire drafts. 

Compared to Grigson, Ballard IS a genius.    Not comparing them, Ballard is just doing a great job. 

47 minutes ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't narrow his biggest "whiff" down to one player.   He missed on entire drafts. 

Compared to Grigson, Ballard IS a genius.    Not comparing them, Ballard is just doing a great job. 

Drifting OT here:

What would have happened if we traded the Luck pick.  Fleener and TY were drafted in later rounds.

What would the offense have done with PM, Wayne, TY, Fleener, and Vic Ballard; with Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins as the back up.  AC was the LT.

All of those draft picks in the later years could have been used to build the 34 defense Irsay wanted, with the former DC of the Ravens providing precious input into the college scouting process.  As it was, it was a decent defense back then made up of FA, but young it wasn't.  

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'll concede the Franchise QB bit....

But you're missing the boat on all important aspects of what was meant by that post.

Thanks for playing...

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'll concede the Franchise QB bit....

But you're missing the boat on all important aspects of what was meant by that post.

Thanks for playing...

Didn't mean to pick on you, and I like the players we have.  It just struck me odd that you listed so many young players as trending up, when that's kind of a given with young players.